• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy direct or resale ?

tcm2362

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC; HGV
I think it helped that I sent a formal letter just with the facts that we were exercising our right to rescind, wanted a refund and no further charges hereafter. Then I crafted a decent secondary letter that explained step by step what we experienced over a 24 hour or so period and how it impacted our ability to cancel things by midnight last Friday. The fact that I did this immediately the day after we returned and didn't try to do it a week or so later certainly helped, but I also give them a ton of credit for making it so smooth. Assuming they received our email between 8 and 9 a.m. yesterday (Monday) morning. they responded within 5 to 6 hours in the manner we were hoping. That says alot about the company and we will continue to pursue resale market now. We were getting 7000 points at HGV Sea World annually, with 21,000 bonus points added on to be used over 3 years....$43K. Pretty certain from perusing these boards the last several days that we can do MUCH MUCH better.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
We were getting 7000 points at HGV Sea World annually, with 21,000 bonus points added on to be used over 3 years....$43K. Pretty certain from perusing these boards the last several days that we can do MUCH MUCH better.

You certainly can. You should be able to purchase a resale for around $7000 (obviously with no bonus points). This would be the rule-of-thumb price for 2-Bd Platinum season and not the 3-Bd plus Gold season.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
You certainly can. You should be able to purchase a resale for around $7000 (obviously with no bonus points). This would be the rule-of-thumb price for 2-Bd Platinum season and not the 3-Bd plus Gold season.

Yup, you can get better MF’s than Sea World too. Vegas is always a great buy.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Yup, you can get better MF’s than Sea World too. Vegas is always a great buy.

My suggestion to the OP is to take your time and research what is best for you. There isn't a rush to purchase anything. Resales will always be available.

Last edited:

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
As real estate, you can do anything with it that you can do with a house.
Only Hilton Club NY is "RTU" (right to use) with a fixed term.
I know off topic for this thread but curious about the "RTU" issue. Being an owner at HVNY I was told (believe me I relize that essentially means nothing) I could pass it on to my heirs. Do you know of the restriction at HCNY regarding this. I already have a meeting set up to speak with HGVC sales about misinformation I was given at the time of purchase.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I know off topic for this thread but curious about the "RTU" issue. Being an owner at HVNY I was told (believe me I relize that essentially means nothing) I could pass it on to my heirs. Do you know of the restriction at HCNY regarding this. I already have a meeting set up to speak with HGVC sales about misinformation I was given at the time of purchase.
I believe Talent312 is at least partially mistaken here. HCNY used to be an RTU property, but a few years back, they went through a conversion process, buying up many of the old RTU contracts and reselling them as new deeded contracts. There may be a few RTU contracts still around, but any new purchase within the last few years are perpetual deeds (AFAIK) and can be passed on to heirs, sold, etc. -- just like any other HGVC deed.

Kurt

Last edited:

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
I just bought and I wondered if there is a way to tell. Nothing on the deed had a date like 2032 or anything like that.

Magus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Elara, Paradise, The District, Kings Land; Craigendarroch Suites
I had 3 flights cancelled and moved to a different day last year and nearly had a fourth from weather. Very happy for OP HGV will be refunding!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I had 3 flights cancelled and moved to a different day last year and nearly had a fourth from weather. Very happy for OP HGV will be refunding!

Were these three changes while you were at the airport? or weeks prior in which you could change your plans?

Magus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All 3 at the airport, cancelled for maintenance. Two from LGA to CLT and one from MSP to CLT.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I believe Talent312 is at least partially mistaken here...

Now that you mention it PD, my fuzzy memory recalls that as well.
Also, I didn't mean to imply that RTU units could not be willed, inherited or sold.
And a standard deed with no termination, is just like any other real estate, not RTU.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Wow. Lightening strikes twice. What airline?

Magus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes AA all three, although our CEO had same issue 2x with delta last year as well. We are based in CLT so hard to avoid American! I fly quite a bit domestically for work though