• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best/Worst Buildings at Pinon Pointe?

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Another issue with the "hole" is it's REALLY dark at night. The city has stringent rules about no lights at night. They want to protect "the Vortex"! Aside from the fact you can't see anything from the unit, it's hard to find your way down stairs and into the unit in the dark.
OK, you are just joking about the Vortex, right? Sedona was named an International Dark-Sky Association city nearly 10 years, and you are right. It can be very off-putting if you are not accustomed to it :)
On the other hand, it's a worthwhile designation, maybe more communities should look into it.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve.

1. Building 18 is located in "the hole" if you will. "The hole" refers to a ravine in which the building sits. There are a lot of steps down (maybe 20-25) from the parking area to the ground and then stairs up (15 or so) to the unit on the second floor. One downside is the steps, but that was only a bit of an annoyance when hauling luggage, etc. to and from the unit. If you want to go to the pool, activity center, or lobby there is a different set of steps between buildings 13 and 14 you can take for a shorter walk. Still a lot of steps, but shorter.
2. The view from 1822 was very good in our opinion. In fact, one of the pictures that I've seen on the website for Pinon Pointe is from a balcony looking out to the red rock mountains. I could be wrong, but I believe it was taken from 1822. The view from 1821 should be somewhat similar, but it is set back a little so it could be a more narrow view.
3. The location of building 18 was pretty quiet other than a couple nights when occupants of a unit in building 13, which sits on the opposite side of the ravine, were pretty loud on their balcony. Their balcony is not too far away. I don't recall hearing any noise from route 89A, which is below the resort but not too close.

Bottom line is that we enjoyed the unit and the view, but that was offset by the number of steps involved. For younger or healthy people it may not be an issue. For others it wouldn't work too well. Of course, if you like the number of points that the unit provides you can always make a CUP reservation and request a different unit. I would suggest staying it the first visit and see how you like it. Then decide the best course of action for future visits. We love the resort and plan to stay there every year.

Best regards.

Mike
Yikes, so to get to 1821/1822, you have to go down 20-25 steps from the parking lot, and then up 15 steps to the unit? I mean that's fine, but a little rough with luggage, coolers, etc. that we bring for a weeklong stay. Thanks for the info. Since it is a diamond week, we would be unlikely to use 2200 points to stay there since for the same 2200 points we could go to Hawaii. But I am definitely anxious to check out Sedona. Maybe we will dip our toes with a 4 night midweek stay! Aloha and thanks again!!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Yikes, so to get to 1821/1822, you have to go down 20-25 steps from the parking lot, and then up 15 steps to the unit? I mean that's fine, but a little rough with luggage, coolers, etc. that we bring for a weeklong stay. Thanks for the info. Since it is a diamond week, we would be unlikely to use 2200 points to stay there since for the same 2200 points we could go to Hawaii. But I am definitely anxious to check out Sedona. Maybe we will dip our toes with a 4 night midweek stay! Aloha and thanks again!!
That’s a great use of points. I definitely recommend experiencing Sedona and the resort. It’s a beautiful area.

Best regards.

Mike

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of steps (38) to get down to unit.
View from main patio “in the hole”.
Patio off the master bedroom looks at a wall and dirt hill.
9333576D-3199-4DF0-8F93-22CF7FAEDC3B.jpeg
E2A0F270-9579-4F78-93C9-92A4DFBB5D2F.jpeg
21B0EB7E-3952-4607-B24F-05FE6D367606.jpeg

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was an interesting stay. When we checked in, the pool and hot tubs were closed (OK, I understand maintenance), some lights weren’t working in our unit (important because it’s dark since it’s below grade) and we were told the bulbs were on order, but they won’t be getting them for a few more weeks - so too bad. The ice maker didn’t work, the safe didn’t work, and there was a big hole in the door where the security peep hole was missing. The maintenance crew was so nice, but it is what it is.

It’s Sedona, so we’re all about hiking and being outdoors. I’d happily take any of the resorts in the area.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
It was an interesting stay. When we checked in, the pool and hot tubs were closed (OK, I understand maintenance), some lights weren’t working in our unit (important because it’s dark since it’s below grade) and we were told the bulbs were on order, but they won’t be getting them for a few more weeks - so too bad. The ice maker didn’t work, the safe didn’t work, and there was a big hole in the door where the security peep hole was missing. The maintenance crew was so nice, but it is what it is.

It’s Sedona, so we’re all about hiking and being outdoors. I’d happily take other resorts in the area.
I am very sorry to hear about your experience and the unit to which you were assigned. That is not typical of the units based on our experiences. Sedona is outstanding on its own, but the resort experience is important too. I hope you enjoy it despite the situation.

By the way, did you trade in via II?

Best regards.

Mike

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
@mjm1, yes, we traded in via Interval. We weren’t expecting a great unit with a view, but we noted more general problems this time than usual (this is our 4th time here via an Interval trade). We own Westin, Marriott, Hilton and some independents, and think their maintenance is better than here. After Covid, I want to give everyone a break. It is a great place to stay.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

It’s Sedona, so we’re all about hiking and being outdoors. I’d happily take other resorts in the area.
We've been to Pinon point about 8-10 times and have always enjoyed our stay. Once we had an air conditioner problem and after 2 days of inconvenience, they moved us. When we checked out, the manager gifted us, to compensate for our inconvenience, with a free week to be used in the future. Wow!

But we have usually had a problem-free stay. Once we were "down in the hole" in the newer section on the other side of the gulley, but I kind of enjoyed the privacy. I didn't enjoy schlepping my luggage up and down the stairs, so I waved down a maintenance fellow who helped me (and got a generous and well-earned tip).

If I had a dead icemaker, I would have asked for ice trays to make my own ice or would have loaded the freezer with pre-made ice from one of the machines. But the explanation that engineering does not have bulbs doesn't seem to pass my own "sniff test". I may have just helped myself to a light bulb or bulbs from somewhere else on property (assuming that I could reach them).

One time when I was at the Ridge on Sedona Golf, the BBQ grill was hard to light (that is before I started bringing my own lighter) and after the maintenance guy got it started (he had trouble too), the flames were very very tiny. It was cold out and I couldn't get the grill up to 250 F. So, I used my multi-tool to re-adjust the gas regulator until the flames were a decent sized. I'm kind of a MacGyver sort of person and will make minor repairs (something that can be fixed with only a multitool) when I'm in a timeshare.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m thankful I don’t have any problems going up and down 38 steps! The worst part is hauling luggage and groceries.

I don’t know how they handle room assignments? We always trade into Sedona and our Interval confirmation listed our unit as #2022. We’ve only been given the unit on our confirmation one out of four times at Piñon Pointe. I figure exchangers are lowest in the pecking order, so never set my expectations high. If you have mobility issues, I’d definitely call ahead and let them know you can’t handle a lot of stairs. Hopefully they’d be able to accommodate you.

All that being said, it’s wonderful to be back in Sedona!

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I want to add that the studio (B) side of #1413 has a decent view out on the balcony! Here’s a panoramic view. If you go out to the railing and look left, you can see the red rocks!
FB5BD0B3-524A-4748-BF65-E057BCEC0D99.jpeg

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Out of curiosity, what would folks do if assigned a unit like this at a Hyatt Residence Club? How would Hyatt owners respond? How would non-Hyatt owners respond?
As a Hyatt owner I would be very disappointed and ask for a different unit, if available. I would also take 8n to consideration how early we made the reservation. Room assignments is a very challenging role and I have spoken with the team at Pinon Pointe before. I find them to be very nice and professional, and they try to accommodate guests as much as possible.

Best regards.

Mike

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I'm a Pinon Pt owner, and was told if you make a club reservation, they try to assign you to a bldg in the vicinity of the unit you own.
Or in the same unit if it is available. I've only made 1 club reservation and they put us in bldg 4 2nd floor. We own in Bldg 2, 3rd floor.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
So we are here at PP for the first time. It’s a great location and a great property. We arrived at 2 pm and managed to be given a choice of 3 rooms. We were offered 411 and 1921. The 3rd unit was an ADA unit in building 4 so we passed on that one without looking at it. We did not love the floor plan of 411 as the studio was very dark and uninviting. We actually selected and are staying in 1921 which is a second/top floor corner unit. As has been mentioned, it is indeed in the “hole,” with about 40 steps down from the parking lot and then another 15 or 20 steps up to the second floor unit. But the floor plan is much better than what we saw in building 4 and the views are actually quite nice. The master bedroom has direct views of Snoopy rock, as does the master balcony. The living room has views south (towards Snoopy rock) and also west. The living room balcony has the same views which are quite nice. The studio is quite roomy and bright, with views facing west toward the mountain. A few downsides. As Kal and others have mentioned, buildings 18 and 19 are not close to the activity center and pool (as well as the ice machine) but the front desk sends us ice when we request it), There are indeed a lot of stairs, but this has not been a problem or inconvenience for our party. My main complaint is that the condition of the room is quite run down, and is definitely ready and in need for a renovation. There is mildew/mold on the floor of the master shower and also in the studio shower and the cabinets and some of the furniture have stains and are pretty banged up. The beds are so-so, okay to sleep on but not luxurious feeling like a Westin Heavenly bed.

We did sign up for a presentation (they offered $125 but I had told her for some reason I thought it was $150, so she checked with her manager and they okayed $150 per couple for the presentation). We showed up at the presentation, and after about 15 minutes they told us there were no licensed salespersons available, so they gave us our gift cards and sent us packing without attending the presentation at all. Which was funny because I had a long list of questions for the salesperson, haha.

We experienced a few hiccups along the way such as not having a great check-in experience and some shortcomings in maintenance of the unit, but we have connected to the Front Desk Manager, Donald, who has been very delightful (he and I are both from Hawaii), and has taken great care of us, although there isn’t anything he can do about the condition of the room.

Anyway, I have meandered in this post but the bottom line is that despite having some misgivings about building 19, we actually like the location of our unit 1921. Tomorrow we will tare a look at 1821, which is the diamond unit we own. I am curious to see it and see the view, although I know for a fact we will never stay in our own unit.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
So we are here at PP for the first time. It’s a great location and a great property. We arrived at 2 pm and managed to be given a choice of 3 rooms. We were offered 411 and 1921. The 3rd unit was an ADA unit in building 4 so we passed on that one without looking at it. We did not love the floor plan of 411 as the studio was very dark and uninviting. We actually selected and are staying in 1921 which is a second/top floor corner unit. As has been mentioned, it is indeed in the “hole,” with about 40 steps down from the parking lot and then another 15 or 20 steps up to the second floor unit. But the floor plan is much better than what we saw in building 4 and the views are actually quite nice. The master bedroom has direct views of Snoopy rock, as does the master balcony. The living room has views south (towards Snoopy rock) and also west. The living room balcony has the same views which are quite nice. The studio is quite roomy and bright, with views facing west toward the mountain. A few downsides. As Kal and others have mentioned, buildings 18 and 19 are not close to the activity center and pool (as well as the ice machine) but the front desk sends us ice when we request it), There are indeed a lot of stairs, but this has not been a problem or inconvenience for our party. My main complaint is that the condition of the room is quite run down, and is definitely ready and in need for a renovation. There is mildew/mold on the floor of the master shower and also in the studio shower and the cabinets and some of the furniture have stains and are pretty banged up. The beds are so-so, okay to sleep on but not luxurious feeling like a Westin Heavenly bed.

We did sign up for a presentation (they offered $125 but I had told her for some reason I thought it was $150, so she checked with her manager and they okayed $150 per couple for the presentation). We showed up at the presentation, and after about 15 minutes they told us there were no licensed salespersons available, so they gave us our gift cards and sent us packing without attending the presentation at all. Which was funny because I had a long list of questions for the salesperson, haha.

We experienced a few hiccups along the way such as not having a great check-in experience and some shortcomings in maintenance of the unit, but we have connected to the Front Desk Manager, Donald, who has been very delightful (he and I are both from Hawaii), and has taken great care of us, although there isn’t anything he can do about the condition of the room.

Anyway, I have meandered in this post but the bottom line is that despite having some misgivings about building 19, we actually like the location of our unit 1921. Tomorrow we will tare a look at 1821, which is the diamond unit we own. I am curious to see it and see the view, although I know for a fact we will never stay in our own unit.
I own there and have stayed there 7 or 8 times. Never a bad stay. Even the most "undesirable" rooms are nice. I hope you have a great time and enjoy some amazing hikes! Check out the "Subway".

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
411 is a one bedroom, no?

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I called the front desk manager Donald and he corrected me. He showed us 421 which is a 2BR A and B unit.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hmmm, I called the front desk manager Donald and he corrected me. He showed us 421 which is a 2BR A and B unit.
We stayed in 422, 1 bdrm side and liked it.
Most all the studios , 'A' side of the lockoffs in bldgs 1-5 face the interior, pool side wall. The 3rd floor units are on walkway level so have more light for their studio patios. But those patios are much less private. There is some vegetation between the studio patios and the walkways.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own there and have stayed there 7 or 8 times. Never a bad stay. Even the most "undesirable" rooms are nice. I hope you have a great time and enjoy some amazing hikes! Check out the "Subway".
What's the 'Subway'?

Scavanjer

Reaction score
What's the 'Subway'?
A simple an effortless internet search yielded this detailed summary:
  • Name: The Subway Cave in Boyton Canyon.
  • Hiking distance: 3 miles (one way) to reach the cave.
  • Is it easy to find? With the right directions, yes.
  • Difficulty: Moderate.
  • Is the cave really a secret? No, you’ll likely run into other people there.
  • Is it dangerous? For the most part no, but go with how you feel.
  • Hike rating: 5 out of 5.
  • Do I recommend this hike? Absolutely! It’s very stunning there (and around it too).

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
We stayed at HPP years ago thru a II exchange..unit 1021...nice 2BR unit…near the lobby and pool..no complaints..I was surprised that the actual unit # was on the II confirmation..we enjoyed the resort and it’s excellent location.

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Th at looks great but I think 6 miles is more than we want to do today since we have a lot on our agenda. I think we are going to do the Bell rock loop and visit the cathedral