• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best/Worst Buildings at Pinon Pointe?

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a unit at Pinon Pointe, and am wondering which buildings/units are desirable and which are to be avoided? I remember reading that some of the buildings look out over the parking lot or at a cell tower.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Buildings 1 to 5, third floor are the best. Second floor is good too.

Buildings 6 to 8 are the worst because of the cell tower.

Other buildings may be OK if on the second floor. In any case avoid the first floor.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
I am looking for a unit at Pinon Pointe, and am wondering which buildings/units are desirable and which are to be avoided? I remember reading that some of the buildings look out over the parking lot or at a cell tower.
We were in building 10 unit 1021 a second floor 2BR 2BA unit......It was a II exchange...the Unit # was on the exchange confirmation..we were very lucky and happy with the unit....and the view...We loved Sedona and the location of Pinion Pointe...hopefully we will be retuning in 2023

Last edited:

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buildings 1 to 5, third floor are the best. Second floor is good too.

Buildings 6 to 8 are the worst because of the cell tower.

Other buildings may be OK if on the second floor. In any case avoid the first floor.
Thank you very much. Darn, there is a reasonable price on 1312, which I believe is building 3, first floor. I guess I will keep shopping. Or maybe try to pick up the unit and convert it to points and try to visit using the points.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Darn, there is a reasonable price on 1312, which I believe is building 3, first floor. I guess I will keep shopping. Or maybe try to pick up the unit and convert it to points and try to visit using the points.

"Best" is relative at HPP. None of the buildings have the view that crossing 89A does. It's in a great location, but not a particularly great view. You're within walking distance of a great many nice places -- and a great many more "Mystic Crystal Revelations With Madame Zelda" places.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Unit 1312 is actually in building 13, first floor, unit 2. There are 21 buildings, so you can apply the numbering logic from there. The view from the main balcony (in the rare) would be some open space with a couple of other resort buildings in view too. The view is more or less to the west toward the airport.

I have heard that a lot of owners don’t stay in the unit/week that they own, so don’t necessarily care which unit the buy. They just use their points either at PP or another resort.

As @echino mentioned buildings 1-5 on the 3rd or 2nd floor are considered the best as far as a view of the red rock. One thing to note with those units is there will be noise from garbage trucks or deliveries by the shops across the parking lot 2-3 times per week. Usually around 6-6:30am. For some that is very annoying, but not for everyone.

We bought a 2nd floor unit in building 3 and are very happy with the view and location within the resort. We plan to use the 1BR there every year and use the remaining points there or at another resort. If you are thinking along those lines, finding a unit and week you want is key. If the exact unit isn’t an issue, focus on the number of points you want and then reserve any time of year available.

Happy hunting.

Best regards.

Mike

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unit 1312 is actually in building 13, first floor, unit 2. There are 21 buildings, so you can apply the numbering logic from there. The view from the main balcony (in the rare) would be some open space with a couple of other resort buildings in view too. The view is more or less to the west toward the airport.

I have heard that a lot of owners don’t stay in the unit/week that they own, so don’t necessarily care which unit the buy. They just use their points either at PP or another resort.

As @echino mentioned buildings 1-5 on the 3rd or 2nd floor are considered the best as far as a view of the red rock. One thing to note with those units is there will be noise from garbage trucks or deliveries by the shops across the parking lot 2-3 times per week. Usually around 6-6:30am. For some that is very annoying, but not for everyone.

We bought a 2nd floor unit in building 3 and are very happy with the view and location within the resort. We plan to use the 1BR there every year and use the remaining points there or at another resort. If you are thinking along those lines, finding a unit and week you want is key. If the exact unit isn’t an issue, focus on the number of points you want and then reserve any time of year available.

Happy hunting.

Best regards.

Mike
Thank you Mike, for clarifying the building number. I was applying my understanding that in HRC's 4 digit unit numbering system, the second-third-fourth digits were building-floor-unit. I guess PP's numbering system is much more WYSIWYG.

That said, it may be that this unit would work for us since its primary use would be for the 2200 trading points.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The unit with the best view that I've stayed in is 621.

The 1 BR view (from patio) is in the opposite direction from the view (if any) in the efficiency.

Bldgs 1-5: the efficiencies face inward towards the pool and the 1 BR face east towards the mountains. The top floor units may have a nice view at the horizon but parking lot below. Some of the first floor units have a concrete wall between them and the parking lot.
Bldgs 6 and 7: the 1 BR faces south and the efficiencies face north towards the antenna tower and fire station. ! BR on the upper floors may have a decent view. 621 had a beautiful view (from the 1 BR patio).
Pinion pt unit 621.jpg

Bldgs 8 to 10: the 1 BR faces inward toward the pool. The lower units may face a landscaped hill. The efficiencies face west or south west and may have a decent horizon view (with parking below). The upper units have a nicer view.
Bldgs 11 and 12: the 1 BR faces SW and generally have a decent view (albeit with parking directly below). The efficiency looks toward the pool area but the lower units are below grade and look at a landscaped hill.

If you look at the resort map, you'll see the phase 1 units has kind of a graphic bump out that indicates where the 1 BR patio is located. I don't recall the orientation of the phase 2 units.

The best way to figure out the view is using a resort map and then maps.google.com, satellite view, and then use the controls to look at the horizon with the unit below.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

When I was looking to buy several years ago, I saw units listed for bldgs 13 & 14. However several advised against them because 13 & 14 are built into the hillside.
So the 2nd floor units are at road level and 1st floor units are below road on one side of the bldg. The studio portion of the lockoff faces into the hill and is pretty dark. The 1 bdrm side and kitchen etc all face outward towards the southwest. a 2nd floor unit in 13 or 14 would be okay, IMO.
Yes, 1312 is in bldg 13 on the 1st floor.

We actually peeked inside one of the bldg 13 units, when they were between guests. Housekeeping let us in. They are pretty spacious, as they seem to have been built later after initial Phase 1, as part of Phase 2?? See attached map. Phase 2 bldgs 15-21 are all at a lower elevation than Phase 1. Watch out for bldgs 18 & 19 , they are also built below street level, but not quite as bad as bldgs 13 & 14. Personally I liked the situation of bldgs 16 & 17.

We got a unit in bldg 2, but sale listings were pretty rare for bldgs 1-5.
We haven't actually stayed in our home unit, but did stay in 422. The view was nice, and there wasn't much noise from the shopping strip below us.

btw, the unit and bldg numbers you see in the map and in common usage, do not match the numbers that are in the estoppels and deeds. The developer had a different ID system.
@echino posted a translation diagram file awhile ago.

Attachments

• PinionPtLayoutr1.jpg
    PinionPtLayoutr1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 83

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here are some pictures from around 5 years ago:

Phase 1 view looking east, , between bldgs 2 & 3:
Phase 1 view.JPG

Phase 1 Firepit looking east

Firepit looking east.JPG

Pool Entryway:

Pool Entry.JPG

Pool Deck & view:

Pool view.JPG

Bldg 2 from street level:
Pinon Pt Bldg2.JPG

Walkway between Bldgs 2&1 and Pool:
the building's 3rd floor units are "level" with walkway. Studios face walkway.
1st and 2nd floor units use stairs going down.
Walkway betw Bldg2-1 and Pool.JPG

Phase 2 Bldgs 16 & 17 (patios face east):
Bldgs 16-17 Facing East.JPG

Phase 2 Bldgs 16 & 17 from Bldg 14 Road.
Note Bldg 14 in foreground left, and part of bldg 18 in background left
Bldg 16-17 from Bldg 14 road.JPG

Cell Tower on North side Phase 1:

Cell Tower to North.JPG

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
This is the view from the ground floor 1BR side of dreaded building 6, which we actually request because we travel with bikes and we want a unit we can roll bikes in and out of without schlumping up and down stairs, or rolling the bikes through the lobby and up the elevator.

Yes, there in a cell phone tower in the parking lot outside your door, and yes the studio’s patio faces the cell phone tower and parking lot. But the 1BR view is pretty good IMO.

And in Sedona, we’re typically out on the trails all day *in* the view. So coming home to a quiet convenient location is swell. Building 6 is pretty close to the pool and activity center, easy parking and entry to unit, and did I mention quiet?

C88046F6-3F1E-4BA2-BD1C-189CFB3A36F8.jpeg

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@echino, could you post or DM me the developer diagram of PP unit numbers.
I thought I bookmarked your post or downloaded file, but can't find either.
Thanks!

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the view from the ground floor 1BR side of dreaded building 6, which we actually request because we travel with bikes and we want a unit we can roll bikes in and out of without schlumping up and down stairs, or rolling the bikes through the lobby and up the elevator.

Yes, there in a cell phone tower in the parking lot outside your door, and yes the studio’s patio faces the cell phone tower and parking lot. But the 1BR view is pretty good IMO.

And in Sedona, we’re typically out on the trails all day *in* the view. So coming home to a quiet convenient location is swell. Building 6 is pretty close to the pool and activity center, easy parking and entry to unit, and did I mention quiet?

View attachment 59696
That doesn't look bad at all! Foreground and background.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if PP unit 1812 would be considered a desirable unit?

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
1812 is being offered to me for $4250 + closing costs with 2000 points for 2022 included (expiring 2022). Seems like a really good price for a platinum week but I don’t know what “the hole” is. Can you describe it a bit more?

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have stayed in 1822.

The “hole” refers to a ravine in which building 18 is situated. To get to it you have to walk down two relatively long flights of steps from the parking lot. There is a short cut to the pool area which also requires a lot of steps. The good news is that the unit is on the first floor, so there aren’t many if any steps to climb once you are in the hole. We enjoyed the view from 1822, which is directly above this unit. There will be less of a view from the first floor. There are also other buildings directly across the ravine, and their balconies face your balcony.

If you don’t plan to use your unit, this is a great price for 2000 points. I would take it and hope it passes ROFR.

Good luck.

Best regards.

Mike

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Let's be fair -- none of the views at PP are as good as the view across the street at the wine bar on 89A. I've stayed at PP more than any other Hyatt. And the strategy there is to spend as little time in the room as possible. Even the nice units near the lobby have limited views -- because there are buildings in the way.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed in 1822.

The “hole” refers to a ravine in which building 18 is situated. To get to it you have to walk down two relatively long flights of steps from the parking lot. There is a short cut to the pool area which also requires a lot of steps. The good news is that the unit is on the first floor, so there aren’t many if any steps to climb once you are in the hole. We enjoyed the view from 1822, which is directly above this unit. There will be less of a view from the first floor. There are also other buildings directly across the ravine, and their balconies face your balcony.

If you don’t plan to use your unit, this is a great price for 2000 points. I would take it and hope it passes ROFR.

Good luck.

Best regards.

Mike

Thank you for this. I don’t think my wife or I have any issue with going up and downstairs. This sounds like a very nice resort to visit, but what I really want are the 2000 points!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this. I don’t think my wife or I have any issue with going up and downstairs. This sounds like a very nice resort to visit, but what I really want are the 2000 points!
Another issue with the "hole" is it's REALLY dark at night. The city has stringent rules about no lights at night. They want to protect "the Vortex"! Aside from the fact you can't see anything from the unit, it's hard to find your way down stairs and into the unit in the dark.

I have purchased a 2200 point unit and NEVER stayed at the resort. I always found ways to use the points. However, the rule of thumb is to buy a unit where, in the worst case, you would be willing to stay there.

In any case, there will be a time for resale. The new buyer may have issues with the specific unit they want to stay in.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife has decided to pass on this unit, although it is a great price for 2000 points for $1350/year.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed in 1822.

Good luck.

Best regards.

Mike
Hi, MIke.

We are about to be in contract for Unit 1821. Since you have stayed in 1822, just a few questions, if I may.

1. Are 1821/1822 on the “street level,” meaning no stairs up or down from the parking lot?
2. How were the views from 1822, I am assuming 1821 would have the same view.
3. How did you feel about the location / quiet of 1822?

Thanks so much,
Steve

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hi, MIke.

We are about to be in contract for Unit 1821. Since you have stayed in 1822, just a few questions, if I may.

1. Are 1821/1822 on the “street level,” meaning no stairs up or down from the parking lot?
2. How were the views from 1822, I am assuming 1821 would have the same view.
3. How did you feel about the location / quiet of 1822?

Thanks so much,
Steve
Hi Steve.

1. Building 18 is located in "the hole" if you will. "The hole" refers to a ravine in which the building sits. There are a lot of steps down (maybe 20-25) from the parking area to the ground and then stairs up (15 or so) to the unit on the second floor. One downside is the steps, but that was only a bit of an annoyance when hauling luggage, etc. to and from the unit. If you want to go to the pool, activity center, or lobby there is a different set of steps between buildings 13 and 14 you can take for a shorter walk. Still a lot of steps, but shorter.
2. The view from 1822 was very good in our opinion. In fact, one of the pictures that I've seen on the website for Pinon Pointe is from a balcony looking out to the red rock mountains. I could be wrong, but I believe it was taken from 1822. The view from 1821 should be somewhat similar, but it is set back a little so it could be a more narrow view.
3. The location of building 18 was pretty quiet other than a couple nights when occupants of a unit in building 13, which sits on the opposite side of the ravine, were pretty loud on their balcony. Their balcony is not too far away. I don't recall hearing any noise from route 89A, which is below the resort but not too close.

Bottom line is that we enjoyed the unit and the view, but that was offset by the number of steps involved. For younger or healthy people it may not be an issue. For others it wouldn't work too well. Of course, if you like the number of points that the unit provides you can always make a CUP reservation and request a different unit. I would suggest staying it the first visit and see how you like it. Then decide the best course of action for future visits. We love the resort and plan to stay there every year.

Best regards.

Mike