• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Article: Rethinking the Coronavirus Shutdown

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

That is an op-ed. This is an op-ed that also was in the Washington Post last week.

Since they printed dueling op-eds, the news side of the paper which is completely separate from the opinion side, did it’s own research and printed this article.

Whatever was done, I think it’s safe to say the result has not been an improvement.

Harry

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Whatever was done, I think it’s safe to say the result has not been an improvement.
We technically will never know since the prior structure was never put to the test since it seems it only existed between 2014 and 2018. Would we be better today if the consolidation hadn't happened. We won't really know. If COVIC-19 had happened in 2012, the same questions would be getting asked of the prior administration. It is also safe to point out that the piece put together by the "new side" isn't necessarily void of opinion.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We technically will never know since the prior structure was never put to the test since it seems it only existed between 2014 and 2018. Would we be better today if the consolidation hadn't happened. We won't really know. If COVIC-19 had happened in 2012, the same questions would be getting asked of the prior administration. It is also safe to point out that the piece put together by the "new side" isn't necessarily void of opinion.

Can you point those out to me, please? The writer quotes opinions on booth sides of the issue. I do not see his opinion anywhere in the piece. Someone stating facts that you choose not to believe doesn’t make them an opinion. They’re still facts. He very fairly documents both sides of the issue and purposely did not draw a conclusion as to whether folding the old office into a new structure was the right thing to do or a mistake. If you see something else in that article, I would suggest you try to read it from a neutral point of view.

Harry

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
One thing about the USA is we have a plethora of experts. An example is the number of “talking heads” that appear on the tube or in print or the internet after any major unexpected event.

Whether the pandemic experts that were in the White House office before they were disbanded/absorbed/fired or whatever is the correct term (no opinion on what happened) would have been more capable than the others currently handling things from the White House, FEMA, NIH, CDC, etc. is a question that cannot be proven. Opinions, certainly, but not anything factual.

I suspect this will be the subject of many After Action analyses.

Cheers

Brett

Reaction score
One thing about the USA is we have a plethora of experts. An example is the number of “talking heads” that appear on the tube or in print or the internet after any major unexpected event.

Whether the pandemic experts that were in the White House office before they were disbanded/absorbed/fired or whatever is the correct term (no opinion on what happened) would have been more capable than the others currently handling things from the White House, FEMA, NIH, CDC, etc. is a question that cannot be proven. Opinions, certainly, but not anything factual.

I suspect this will be the subject of many After Action analyses.

Cheers

yes, most certainly this pandemic will be subject to many "after action" reviews and assessments

pymadore

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway, Sand Pebbles (Solana Beach, CA, USA)
Rethinking the Coronavirus Shutdown
No society can safeguard public health for long at the cost of its economic health.
By The Editorial Board
Updated March 19, 2020 7:40 pm ET

Financial markets paused their slide Thursday, but no one should think this rolling economic calamity is over. If this government-ordered shutdown continues for much more than another week or two, the human cost of job losses and bankruptcies will exceed what most Americans imagine. This won’t be popular to read in some quarters, but federal and state officials need to start adjusting their anti-virus strategy now to avoid an economic recession that will dwarf the harm from 2008-2009.

The vast social-distancing project of the last 10 days or so has been necessary and has done much good. Warnings about large gatherings of more than 10 people and limiting access to nursing homes will save lives. The public has received a crucial education in hygiene and disease prevention, and even young people may get the message. With any luck, this behavior change will reduce the coronavirus spread enough that our hospitals won’t be overwhelmed with patients. Anthony Fauci, Scott Gottlieb and other disease experts are buying crucial time for government and private industry to marshal resources against the virus.

Yet the costs of this national shutdown are growing by the hour, and we don’t mean federal spending. We mean a tsunami of economic destruction that will cause tens of millions to lose their jobs as commerce and production simply cease. Many large companies can withstand a few weeks without revenue but that isn’t true of millions of small and mid-sized firms.

Even cash-rich businesses operate on a thin margin and can bleed through reserves in a month. First they will lay off employees and then out of necessity they will shut down. Another month like this week and the layoffs will be measured in millions of people...

If GDP seems abstract, consider the human cost. Think about the entrepreneur who has invested his life in his Memphis ribs joint only to see his customers vanish in a week. Or the retail chain of 30 stores that employs hundreds but sees no sales and must shut its doors.

Or the recent graduate with $20,000 in student-loan debt—taken on with the encouragement of politicians—who finds herself laid off from her first job. Perhaps she can return home and live with her parents, but what if they’re laid off too? How do you measure the human cost of these crushed dreams, lives upended, or mental-health damage that result from the orders of federal and state governments?...

Read more here:
Bottom line: human lives are worth more than money. Please, please understand this!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Bottom line: human lives are worth more than money. Please, please understand this!
Personally I agree.

My question to others if you knew you would definitely lose a close family member such as a spouse, partner, parent, child, grandchild, if all business went back to normal, would you still feel the same way? If I am fortunate enough that all my loved ones live through this, I know how painful it will for other families that lose their loved ones.

I am not minimizing “the human cost of job losses and bankruptcies will exceed what most Americans imagine”, I realize the Horrors of that too. We can just handle one choice at a time and as the effects of the decisions happen, keep handling each problem the best we can to help all those in need.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Honor your mother and father.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much money to end children hunger? Sadly we know the cure but still every so many seconds a child dies.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How much money to end children hunger? Sadly we know the cure but still every so many seconds a child dies.

Personally, I’m in favor of spending enough money to do that, too. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, a majority of our elected representatives don’t feel that is a crisis they should try and alleviate. They did feel that way about the coronavirus. We have to take what we can get, I guess.

Harry

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Personally I agree.

My question to others if you knew you would definitely lose a close family member such as a spouse, partner, parent, child, grandchild, if all business went back to normal, would you still feel the same way? If I am fortunate enough that all my loved ones live through this, I know how painful it will for other families that lose their loved ones.

I am not minimizing “the human cost of job losses and bankruptcies will exceed what most Americans imagine”, I realize the Horrors of that too. We can just handle one choice at a time and as the effects of the decisions happen, keep handling each problem the best we can to help all those in need.

I am the OP of the article on this thread. I did not intend for this to be a discussion of life vs money. I was hoping for a more nuanced discussion. Personally, I agree that human life is more valuable than money. I do not want any of my loved ones to die. Let me clarify. The question for me is whether the projections of death are accurate or over estimated. Whether there will be more deaths, illness, mental health problems, alcoholism, drug use, suicides, domestic violence and other social ills from the shutdowns and resulting poverty. Is a miserable life on earth better or worse than dying? How long can we go on with a non-functioning economy? Realistically, how long can we shelter in place as a nation? How many lives are being destroyed by lay offs and bankruptciess? What will be the long term consequences of the coronavirus crisis? These are just questions to consider. I do not think it is so black and white. I do not think it is a matter of let’s either shut down the economy or we will kills millions of people. I think there is a gray area here that it is taboo to consider. Most people are making this a life or death situation. The media is not helping. They are sensationalizing this and publishing worst case scenarios. The role of public health officials is to share worst case scenarios. I am optimistic that this will not be as bad as projected. Call me naive.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't know. That is the ultimate bottom line. There is no baseline to judge by. Even the 1918 flu was in a world with still more that 50% people the people involved in agriculture. Now is 1% or less. We are making history. Not happy history, but history none the less. . .

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am the OP of the article on this thread. I did not intend for this to be a discussion of life vs money. I was hoping for a more nuanced discussion. Personally, I agree that human life is more valuable than money. I do not want any of my loved ones to die. Let me clarify. The question for me is whether the projections of death are accurate or over estimated. Whether there will be more deaths, illness, mental health problems, alcoholism, drug use, suicides, domestic violence and other social ills from the shutdowns and resulting poverty. Is a miserable life on earth better or worse than dying? How long can we go on with a non-functioning economy? Realistically, how long can we shelter in place as a nation? How many lives are being destroyed by lay offs and bankruptciess? What will be the long term consequences of the coronavirus crisis? These are just questions to consider. I do not think it is so black and white. I do not think it is a matter of let’s either shut down the economy or we will kills millions of people. I think there is a gray area here that it is taboo to consider. Most people are making this a life or death situation. The media is not helping. They are sensationalizing this and publishing worst case scenarios. The role of public health officials is to share worst case scenarios. I am optimistic that this will not be as bad as projected. Call me naive.

Optimism....is neither weak nor naive. It can be tough and pure and earned just as clearly as any brooding existential despair. A naive dream is extremely powerful. ;)

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know you are the op and my post was not actually directed to you. You have very valid points. You are right when you say it is not so black or white. As you I am optimistic that this will not be as bad as projected, so others will view me as naive too.

Being so much is in the gray zone, the unknown, I just took it to the bare minimum, life or death. We really don’t know the right answers. No one does. All the predictions fluctuate so wildly that they all have to be questioned. There are no concrete answers.

I just see the medical system so overwhelmed and imo without the shutdowns I believe the medical system would collapse and the economy would tank just like it has. I don’t see either choice being better for the economy.

With that said I am prepared to pay more taxes after this is over to help those that need it and will be more generous with donations and do whatever I can do to make it better for others.

There are no clear answers. Our thoughts are opinions at best even though many others want to claim them as facts. Just because one quotes a projection from reputable sources, it still is not fact. It is a guesstimate at best as we are now in unknown territory.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Obviously, we won’t know if the projections are accurate until this is over. We’re still on the front end of this pandemic, not the back end. It is going to get worse before it gets better. So, there’s no way to know how many will die. The medical experts are doing their best to give accurate projections based on the information they have and various scenarios measuring the progress, or lack thereof, in fighting the spread of the virus. Right now, we aren’t seeing a lot of success and the projections reflect that. Hopefully, in the end, you’ll be correct, but things will have to change significantly and quickly for that to happen.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

I think the point that most are missing is that this a false choice. It’s presented as an either/or when the reality is it is both/and. We are not firing on all cylinders to get people back to work that actually can go back to work based upon real scientific evidence. Cuomo spoke at some length about this exact approach early this week.

We are almost universally focused on testing for infection and preventative measures, meanwhile we are dealing with a virus that has an incredible transmission rate. 50% of those who catch this virus are largely asymptomatic or only have minor symptoms, 30% experience a flu-like illness and 20% end up requiring some type of hospitalization.

There’s already a COVID-19 antibodies test available however there is no focus on ramping up what is a simple at home test that can tell people if they already have had COVID-19, have acquired immunity, and are no longer contagious. These people can return to work tomorrow, as there is little to no risk in doing so since they are no longer contagious. There is most likely already a significant and steadily growing portion of our population that falls into this bracket already given how transmissible COVID-19 is.

We don’t have to keep the entire economy shut down if we take a more nuanced approach like this. We just aren’t solutioning this problem using all available options and resources at our collective disposal. We need a healthy mix of both preventative and restorative measures at work simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the point that most are missing is that this a false choice. It’s presented as an either/or when the reality is it is both/and. We are not firing on all cylinders to get people back to work that actually can go back to work based upon real scientific evidence. Cuomo spoke at some length about this exact approach early this week.

We are almost universally focused on testing for infection and preventative measures, meanwhile we are dealing with a virus that has an incredible transmission rate. 50% of those who catch this virus are largely asymptomatic or only have minor symptoms, 30% experience a flu-like illness and 20% end up requiring some type of hospitalization.

There’s already a COVID-19 antibodies test available however there is no focus on ramping up what is a simple at home test that can tell people if they already have had COVID-19, have acquired immunity, and are no longer contagious. These people can return to work tomorrow, as there is little to no risk in doing so since they are no longer contagious. There is most likely already a significant and steadily growing portion of our population that falls into this bracket already given how transmissible COVID-19 is.

We don’t have to keep the entire economy shut down if we take a more nuanced approach like this. We just aren’t solutioning this problem using all available options and resources at our collective disposal. We need a healthy mix of both preventative and restorative measures at work simultaneously.

Yes an antibodies test would change the what can be done. Until that is available widely nothing has changed.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I mostly agree with you. But, the reason we are focused on testing and preventative measures is because we did not have a sufficient plan for how to handle a pandemic. I’m not making a judgment about who is at fault. There’s more than enough blame to go around. But, fundamentally, not being prepared and having a plan that could be executed from the early stages, left us in the position of reacting to events. We should have been executing a step by step plan that had been thoughtfully created based on historical data, then rehearsed, reviewed, and revised. Those are the basic steps of catastrophe planning. I have 20 years of experience in the field and that was the first thing I was taught. It’s easy to get complacent when something doesn’t happen for 10, 20, 30 years or more. But, if you don’t continue to plan, review, revise (including restocking/upgrading critical equipment), something like this will happen. You won’t be prepared, and the cost will be measured in loss of life, as well as, severe economic damage.

Harry

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I mostly agree with you. But, the reason we are focused on testing and preventative measures is because we did not have a sufficient plan for how to handle a pandemic. I’m not making a judgment about who is at fault. There’s more than enough blame to go around. But, fundamentally, not being prepared and having a plan that could be executed from the early stages, left us in the position of reacting to events. We should have been executing a step by step plan that had been thoughtfully created based on historical data, then rehearsed, reviewed, and revised. Those are the basic steps of catastrophe planning. I have 20 years of experience in the field and that was the first thing I was taught. It’s easy to get complacent when something doesn’t happen for 10, 20, 30 years or more. But, if you don’t continue to plan, review, revise (including restocking/upgrading critical equipment), something like this will happen. You won’t be prepared, and the cost will be measured in loss of life, as well as, severe economic damage.

Harry

I’ve done BCP/DR plans for roughly 20 years as well, though admittedly within the IT sector since that is my career path.

The reason we need to simultaneously be focused on restorative measures is precisely because we failed to focus on preventative measures when it would have paid the biggest dividends. Our patient zero occurred at almost the exact same time as South Korea, but look at their curve compared to ours - because they reacted quickly, ramped up massive testing coupled with strict quarantine and tracing.

da6e562e5b6a2420172dccaa181dc33d.jpg

So, this choice for us is no longer an option. We are now left with mass social distancing as we ramp up testing capacity. Any mass quarantine will need to last for 8-10 weeks to significantly blunt the curve like South Korea has done - and we have waited long enough that even this option and length of time may not actually work well enough unfortunately. So we may need to promote mass social distancing for those most at risk for three months or more.

If we leave our economy shut down for an entire quarter - we will inevitably experience a depression, an order of magnitude greater than the Great Depression - or what is now being called the Greater Depression in the missives I’m reading on a pretty much daily basis. I’m a finance and economics geek by education. The stuff I’m reading right now is unprecedented, and the law of unintended consequences will apply more broadly than most can imagine if we stay on pause for a long period of time. This is why it is critical that we focus on both/and solutions. As I’ve said on other forums, we can do this - we have the capacity and the talent to do both.

To be 100% clear - I don’t want ANY loss of life - I’m NOT arguing that we have to choose between money and life. I believe to the core of my being that we can choose both simultaneously using a sophisticated scientifically driven approach. I think we are selling ourselves very short by accepting anything less from our leaders and ourselves.

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ve done BCP/DR plans for roughly 20 years as well, though admittedly within the IT sector since that is my career path.

The reason we need to simultaneously be focused on restorative measures is precisely because we failed to focus on preventative measures when it would have paid the biggest dividends. Our patient zero occurred at almost the exact same time as South Korea, but look at their curve compared to ours - because they reacted quickly, ramped up massive testing coupled with strict quarantine and tracing.

da6e562e5b6a2420172dccaa181dc33d.jpg

So, this choice for us is no longer an option. We are now left with mass social distancing as we ramp up testing capacity. Any mass quarantine will need to last for 8-10 weeks to significantly blunt the curve like South Korea has done - and we have waited long enough that even this option and length of time may not actually work well enough unfortunately. So we may need to promote mass social distancing for those most at risk for three months or more.

If we leave our economy shut down for an entire quarter - we will inevitably experience a depression, an order of magnitude greater than the Great Depression - or what is now being called the Greater Depression in the missives I’m reading on a pretty much daily basis. I’m a finance and economics geek by education. The stuff I’m reading right now is unprecedented, and the law of unintended consequences will apply more broadly than most can imagine if we stay on pause for a long period of time. This is why it is critical that we focus on both/and solutions. As I’ve said on other forums, we can do this - we have the capacity and the talent to do both.

To be 100% clear - I don’t want ANY loss of life - I’m NOT arguing that we have to choose between money and life. I believe to the core of my being that we can choose both simultaneously using a sophisticated scientifically driven approach. I think we are seeing ourselves very short by accepting anything less from our leaders and ourselves.

Totally agree with you on this post. However, it will take leadership that put politics aside, on both sides of the aisle, to step up and make hard choices that may not play well to their base. We saw that this past week from both sides. What will we see this week? And, I’m sorry, but you can’t divorce this from politics! Our political leaders are the ones who have to make these decisions.

Harry

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
testing and recognizing the problem at the beginning is important
unfortunately top US government leaders and a certain cable news TV show did not believe there was a problem ..... until it became a pandemic

Agree 100%.

Harry

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
testing and recognizing the problem at the beginning is important
unfortunately top US government leaders and a certain cable news TV show did not believe there was a problem ..... until it became a pandemic
Certain state leaders dismissed it too.