• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Changes

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Used my $250 airline credit back in January for United Travel Bank. Did another $50 after the announced changes; reimbursement posted six days later. Even with the increased MF next year, which won't come until next September, I'll still come out ahead with the Surpass card.
You mean the Aspire card?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
Well, thanks to all of the TUG advice there, I decided to get a second Aspire card for DW thereby working the two-card system. Thanks to @Zenichiro comment, I did refer her also to pickup the 15K additional HH points. It is the right time for me to do this since it will be easy to get the $6K spend requirement for the 180K HH bonus points signup.
It's crucial for everyone to be aware that there's no lifetime language on the new Hilton cards, meaning that if you've received the bonus before, you're eligible to receive it again. Surpass, honors and business

Please read doctor of credit post.

Last edited:

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
I have seen a few comments on Facebook that the $50 Surpass credits work when you buy a gift card through buyhiltongiftcards.com. I have not tried this so YMMV. Just thought I would pass it along

raddoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on getting another credit card but the 170000 Hilton point SUB with the Surpass is enticing, especially since I will be able to meet $3k in Hilton spending with MF that don't qualify for the Aspire credit (MF for W57 & the District).

I would probably upgrade it to another Aspire card afterwards to get a second FNC. Is it possible to "adjust" the date of the FNC so it is issued and expires at the same time as the FNC from my existing Aspire? Or should I wait until the around anniversary of my current Aspire to upgrade the Surpass to Aspire (this assumes that they will issue the new FNC around the time of the upgrade). Does anyone have experience with timing of receiving a FNC after upgrading to Aspire from Surpass?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I don't think you can change the anniversary date. We timed our applications for the Aspire to be close so FNCs would expire around the same time. Also considering a Surpass now that there is no lifetime language and the points are 170k. Less painful way to get Honors points than a presentation!

I am not certain what I will do with Aspire since we don't own resorts anymore (2 x 200). The other option I am considering is this:

1. Does the $200 x2 work toward hotel room stays at resorts in addition to food/amenities? What if you booked a $200/night room - could this be considered another free or discounted night (just bounded) with the Aspire?
  2. Does the legacy $250 work for room reservations? We still have $500 to spend this year with legacy Aspires.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Or should I wait until the around anniversary of my current Aspire to upgrade the Surpass to Aspire (this assumes that they will issue the new FNC around the time of the upgrade). Does anyone have experience with timing of receiving a FNC after upgrading to Aspire from Surpass?
Hasn't happened yet (issuance of the FNC), but I just upgraded an HH AMEX to Aspire and expect to get it shortly. They don't change the anniversary date for your account when you upgrade but charge you a prorated annual fee instead, which means that ultimately the FNC you get will be just after your anniversary date for the current Surpass card after you upgrade as the anniversary date for it as an Aspire, though the initial one will be just after you've paid the annual fee for the upgrade. FWIW, I would wait until I got to the $15K spend on the Surpass and got that FNC (if spending enough to get that), then do the upgrade and accept that the expiration dates might not align perfectly.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Is it possible to "adjust" the date of the FNC so it is issued and expires at the same time as the FNC from my existing Aspire?

I'd think that the date can't be changed (unlike closing dates, which can), but there is some wiggle room with expiration of the FNC I've read, so that may help/

Cheers.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I don't think you can change the anniversary date. We timed our applications for the Aspire to be close so FNCs would expire around the same time. Also considering a Surpass now that there is no lifetime language and the points are 170k. Less painful way to get Honors points than a presentation!

I am not certain what I will do with Aspire since we don't own resorts anymore (2 x 200). The other option I am considering is this:

1. Does the $200 x2 work toward hotel room stays at resorts in addition to food/amenities? What if you booked a $200/night room - could this be considered another free or discounted night (just bounded) with the Aspire?
  2. Does the legacy $250 work for room reservations? We still have $500 to spend this year with legacy Aspires.
The $200 credits should work for room charges, food drink, etc. Since this a credit back to your credit card statement, i don't believe this will have any restrictions like the Free nights. At least this is how its always worked in the past.

I have trigger this with room charges and other things in the past. My plan has always been to use the credit with our MF, but get surprised when i trigger on different hotel or TS stay.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The $200 credits should work for room charges, food drink, etc. Since this a credit back to your credit card statement, i don't believe this will have any restrictions like the Free nights. At least this is how its always worked in the past.

I have trigger this with room charges and other things in the past. My plan has always been to use the credit with our MF, but get surprised when i trigger on different hotel or TS stay.
My apologies, I am not being clear. Can the $200 credit be applied against the room itself i.e. not food and amenities. e.g. If I rent a $200 room and pay with Aspire will I receive the resort credit? Does this act like a free night cert for $200?

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
My apologies, I am not being clear. Can the $200 credit be applied against the room itself i.e. not food and amenities. e.g. If I rent a $200 room and pay with Aspire will I receive the resort credit? Does this act like a free night cert for $200?
Yes.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The answer is YES, as long as you don't purchase a non-refundable advance purchase rate, those are often listed as something other than the actual resort.

But the credit will trigger for room charges, food, beverage. Pretty much anything you charge as the property as long as its not run by a 3rd party should trigger the credit.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks. So if I cannot get the credit from MF, perhaps I look at this as a capped $200 free /discounted room every 6 months. LIke a "$200 capped FNC"

Does the same policy toward room reservation apply to the legacy $250/year? I have 2 x $250 to spend until Dec 31.

raddoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Advance Purchase Rates/Non-Refundable Rates are not eligible for the resort credit. Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with a Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card for the benefit to apply.

Looks like charges for incidentals have to be charged to your room. Does this mean that you won't get credit for charges at a Hilton resort if you're not staying there? Ie - if you have drinks at a resort you're not staying at, will it trigger the Aspire credit?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Looks like charges for incidentals have to be charged to your room. Does this mean that you won't get credit for charges at a Hilton resort if you're not staying there? Ie - if you have drinks at a resort you're not staying at, will it trigger the Aspire credit?

There is much discussion about this on Flyertalk. The net result of the discussion is "maybe." Very mixed results. Last time I looked, most results pointed to No. I'd certainly not count on it.

Cheers.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The terms and conditions say it has to be charged to your room. That would mean just charging something directly at the resort shouldn't work, but that might not be the case based on folks experience with the airline credit.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. So if I cannot get the credit from MF, perhaps I look at this as a capped $200 free /discounted room every 6 months. LIke a "$200 capped FNC"

Does the same policy toward room reservation apply to the legacy $250/year? I have 2 x $250 to spend until Dec 31.
Yes, this works the same for older credit as well.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

$200 Flight Credit​

Basic Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Members can receive up to a total of $50 in statement credits each calendar quarter (January through March, April through June, July through September, and October through December), for up to $200 annually for eligible purchases of airfare made directly with an airline or through amextravel.com. To be eligible for this benefit, an airfare purchase must be for a scheduled flight on a passenger carrier and purchased directly from the airline or through amextravel.com.
FYI the Hilton Aspire $50 Flight Credit just came through for my United Travelbank purchase. So it works (at least in 2023) with a new Aspire card.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Interesting update. My wife decided to get the Aspire card also, after the Oct 19th which is identified as the cut off for the $250 vs $200 resort credit, we paid part of our Blvd MFs with her card on Oct 28th and yesterday, Nov 1, she received the $250 credit. Nice $50 surprise because we thought she would get $200. Now, after Jan 1st, we will pay the rest on hers and mine....so should get $400 total more.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting update. My wife decided to get the Aspire card also, after the Oct 19th which is identified as the cut off for the $250 vs $200 resort credit, we paid part of our Blvd MFs with her card on Oct 28th and yesterday, Nov 1, she received the $250 credit. Nice $50 surprise because we thought she would get $200. Now, after Jan 1st, we will pay the rest on hers and mine....so should get $400 total more.

Thanks for sharing. I guess i will just pay $250 now instead of $200 on my new 2nd Aspire card. I would have left $50 on the table listening to the AMEX customer service rep.

Thanks,
Great3

ETA: Now makes me wonder, maybe even $250 airlines credit for incidental might still auto credit even though that's only supposed to be for existing cardmembers only, with only $50 quarterly credit for new members. I might just it out, since worse case, I end up pre-paying for Southwest credits that doesn't expire, lol!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
New and existing cards get the $250 resort credit until the end of this year. On Jan 1 it becomes two $200 credits, 1 in Jan- Jun and 1 in July to Dec.

I already got my $250 resort credit in 2023. So am I just waiting until Jan to post my MFs for 2024, and will get my credit for the 1st half of year. In Dec I will pay $200 of my MF and then pay the rest off in January 2025. That will be my pattern going forward.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New and existing cards get the $250 resort credit until the end of this year. On Jan 1 it becomes two $200 credits, 1 in Jan- Jun and 1 in July to Dec.

I already got my $250 resort credit in 2023. So am I just waiting until Jan to post my MFs for 2024, and will get my credit for the 1st half of year. In Dec I will pay $200 of my MF and then pay the rest off in January 2025. That will be my pattern going forward.
according to the terms, card issued prior to Oct 19th would get the $250, otherwise, $200.

1698944530357.png

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for sharing. I guess i will just pay $250 now instead of $200 on my new 2nd Aspire card. I would have left $50 on the table listening to the AMEX customer service rep.

Thanks,
Great3

ETA: Now makes me wonder, maybe even $250 airlines credit for incidental might still auto credit even though that's only supposed to be for existing cardmembers only, with only $50 quarterly credit for new members. I might just it out, since worse case, I end up pre-paying for Southwest credits that doesn't expire, lol!
I booked a Delta flight that cancels to eCredit, already received the $50 statement credit, and canceled the Delta flight for the eCredit. Will use that for our spring break trip later. Doing the same for my wife's Aspire card also but waiting for the airline credit still....then will cancel the flight.