• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Changes

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Maybe this isn’t the right thread to post in (apologize for hijacking), but do points earned on the card still count towards status level? I just have the basic Hilton card (no fee) and am wondering if the changes to the card lineup impacted how the points are counted towards status.

In the past when the points have posted to my Honors account they increased the number of points earned towards Gold/Diamond status. My January statement closed a few days ago, the points hit my account but there was no incremental increase in my progress circle within the app.

I’ve had 8 nights with Hilton so far this year and those have correctly posted and show the progress as they should (points for stays have contributed), but the corresponding charges on the card aren’t. I’m hoping to take a serious shot at hitting diamond this year - but it would be via points as most nights are with Marriott and 60 would be a tough lift given my travel patterns.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
1000005253.png

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I believe bonus points from credit cards didn’t count towards status prior to the pandemic but were counted towards status during the whole travel shutdown thing. Not sure if they do now as I’ve got a couple of Aspires.

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
W57th
Back door “Max”
Yes, the Covid “bonus points count towards status” effect has ended as of the new year. Now only base points will count. If you won’t have the stays, you can get the Surpass (gold) or Aspire (diamond) cards for automatic status.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, the Covid “bonus points count towards status” effect has ended as of the new year. Now only base points will count. If you won’t have the stays, you can get the Surpass (gold) or Aspire (diamond) cards for automatic status.
Thanks. This explains it perfectly. I guess I’ll be giving up the thoughts of getting Diamond via that route (seriously considering swapping out my Bonvoy Brilliant card).

I figure I’ll have 28 total nights with Hilton this year if things go as planned. At my current rate of spend per night that should put me at enough base points for Gold.

Maybe I’ll take a second look at Hyatt (staying at one right now). 60 nights for them is a lot given the locations/convenience, although it may be worth a run at lifetime Globalist.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I figure I’ll have 28 total nights with Hilton this year if things go as planned. At my current rate of spend per night that should put me at enough base points for Gold.
You get gold at 20 nights anyway, so the spend doesn't really matter.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bought two 1 way Delta flights for $78 each on each of our Aspire cards on Jan 23rd, received the $50 credit on Jan 31st, and canceled the flights today to ecredits...plus earned 7x for the Aspire charge. Will use the ecredits for a trip this spring....free $100...nice. plan to do this each quarter.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not quite free as there is an annual fee for the card. As I tell my niece sometimes, there is a difference between "free" and "included". ;-)
Well, we make back more in credits then the card costs so everything above $550 is free.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not quite free as there is an annual fee for the card. As I tell my niece sometimes, there is a difference between "free" and "included". ;-)
I had the Aspire already but my wife got her own last fall. Since then she has earned:

11/1 - $250 Hilton Resort Credit
11/2 - $50 Delta Credit
11/2 - $20 Flowers.com credit
11/11 - $189 Clear credit
1/7 - 180k HH Welcome Bonus
1/11 - $200 Hilton Resort Credit
1/31 - $50 Delta Credit
141k HH points on HGV MF payments

So, the $550 card cost has yielded: $759 in credits and 321k HH points plus other HH pts via spending and we pay it off each month so don't pay interest....which is key for these things

Last edited:

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club

Maybe I’ll take a second look at Hyatt (staying at one right now). 60 nights for them is a lot given the locations/convenience, although it may be worth a run at lifetime Globalist.
Hyatt. I find much more value with them as globalist. I have the CC and use it to supplement my nights. Globalist gets me a fair amount of upgrades to standard suites, waived resort/destination fees but still have the perks of those fees, waived parking on awards, free breakfast (entree, coffee, juice, and usually something else, way more than continental). I’m loving guest of honor certificates - give them to friends, they stay, and then I earn an elite night for them using my certificate. Suite upgrade awards can be confirmed as early as booking. The mostly fixed award chart is also nice. You can get super outsized value at some properties.

It’s a great program overall, just small.

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
Thanks. This explains it perfectly. I guess I’ll be giving up the thoughts of getting Diamond via that route (seriously considering swapping out my Bonvoy Brilliant card).

I would pay for the Apire at $550.

For me, I have been upgraded multiple times. For example I booked a standard room in Venice for a couple days two weeks ago. They upgraded me to a 1 bedroom suite. This would never happend without status. Plus a free night voucer and all the $200, $400 savings, etc. For me, it's a no brainer.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Agree smaller in amount of locations but interesting factoid, they actually may have a larger luxury foot print than Hilton.definatelly enough to compete in this space.

Destination Hotels 58
Joie de Vivre 15
Unbound Collection 20
Andaz Hotels 22
Grand Hyatt 58
Miraval Resorts 3
Park Hyatt 44
Thompson Hotels 11
Hyatt Zilara and Hyatt Ziva AI 9
Alila 17
Andaz 22

And they partner with Small Luxury Hotels (SLH) in a number of areas as well as just having purchased Mr. and Mrs,. Smith.

I will definitely second that @GMan82 said about Hyatt. We do 30-35 actual nights a year and supplement the rest with spend. As a number of these are 1-night stays in SF for concerts where we drive up, the free parking on awards is killer. And confirmed suites are great.

Hilton is still good for us internationally. Domestically, the simply suck IMO.

Cheers.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And they partner with Small Luxury Hotels (SLH) in a number of areas as well as just having purchased Mr. and Mrs,. Smith.

I will definitely second that @GMan82 said about Hyatt. We do 30-35 actual nights a year and supplement the rest with spend. As a number of these are 1-night stays in SF for concerts where we drive up, the free parking on awards is killer. And confirmed suites are great.

Cheers.
We’ve been pretty happy with Hilton as far as using the Waldorf Astorias in the US with FNCs. We’ve been upgraded consistently, too.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Just wanted to report that Bay Club MF payment did trigger the $200 Semi Annual credit from AMEX Aspire Card.

It wasn't on the list this year, even though it had been on the list in the past. But my Credit posted!!

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel

Cheers.
I hear they could be losing SLH. However gaining Mr & Mrs Smiths will be interesting for sure

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
I hear they could be losing SLH. However gaining Mr & Mrs Smiths will be interesting for sure

I have heard that, too. But everything I've seen points circularly to the other forums with no real data. We have a SLH stay in late July and all seems good.

I do think it will go away eventually, once Mr. and Mrs. Smith is integrated. But right now it seems mere speculation.

Cheers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just made by Seaworld payment today, also saw this offer today. Wasn't there when I made by Bay Club payment last month, but I signed up for this and paid my SW MF today. Perhaps it is a targeted offer. If you have spread out your MFs and it works as a charge you might get an extra bonus.

Has anyone received this type of credit for paying their MFs. T&C says charges, so I'm hoping this will yield a 2nd $200 credit. That would be a bonus. I already received my semi-annual bonus last month, so this would just be a big surprise.

1708713090102.png

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Club wasn't on the other resort list yet I received my $200 semi annual credit anyways. That is why I asked and didn't got by the list.
Exactly. Craig Lodges either. That list is just the Hilton site with the resort filter turned on and isn't necessarily correct. Ocean 22 is on it but a person, on FB, commented that they didn't get the credit.