• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I making a mistake?

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
On a more expensive side but not overpriced. I paid $3.9K + closing for an identical deed in November 2021.
Yes, there can be cheaper ones out there but this isn't a terrible deal....

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FYI There is a 3 night minimum for stays using club points, so a couple of days in Vegas would require you to use open season OR book 3 nights with points and check out after the second night and burn the points for the third night. Open season in vegas can be a great choice especially for a fri to sun stay.
Except Hilton Club, for most of them, you can book 1 night with points.

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
Buying direct cost you about 900% more than resale. -edited
Resale is about 80-90% of the developer price. So, you can buy about 9 times the points resale for the same initial cost. MFs are the same, so 9x the points will cost you about 9x the annual carrying costs.

As HuskerATL says, low MF can really make a difference when you have 10-12 weeks of shares. Say 20-50%, so it does add up.

My point is if you have a week or two it could be a couple hundred dollars a year. To some this is meaningful and to others they want the nicer 2-bedroom or 3-bedroom unit with the decent MFs that can be hard to get. You still must play the reserve 12 months out game and walking the reservation games, but the Forum has posts on that.

The biggest frustration for resale to me has been the couple of months for all the paperwork to be completed. It literally feels like the process freezes for weeks at a time with no progress. There does seem to be a reasonable number of protections for the relatively small purchase price.

Advice, go in expecting 3 months, maybe even 4 months, is what I recommend, but checking to be sure everyone has what they need from us.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
play the reserve 12 months out game and walking the reservation games
unfortunately, you can't walk a HW...so it would be 9 month club reservation walking....hence why owning there doesn't matter (many times but not all the time)

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
If not in a hurry, look for a lower price, possibly at other resorts. We seldom stay at our home resort,

Yzfguy06

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Crane, Borgo alle Vigne x2
You don't need to own where you want to visit. The only time it matters where you own is either for HW, which most people never use, or bHC lounge/early booking. Because HW is the exact unit type that you bought, the specific check in day, and the specific season, which many people don't always want... They want a different check in day, unit type, season, or property.... So, then where you own doesn't matter because you are using club reservations.
That’s what I did. I own in Italy and Barbados and will probably never go to Italy. I found deals I couldn't pass up. Seems like a fair deal imo.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
For trading, you can't go wrong with one of Vegas FEPS (Flamingo, Elara, Paradise, Strip) 11,200 Platinums. The mf/pt are among the lowest in the system. The purchase price is reasonable. There is strong demand to buy when you decide to exit.

Other properties than FEPS are cheaper for a reason. And much higher risk for exit which IMO is not worth the small difference in savings. They have worse mf/point. You might have to pay someone to exit wiping out any of that savings.

MF/pt is most important because over time, the small difference in purchase price between a FEPS and the lower cost "hot buy" won't matter because it is amortized over 10 to 20 years. You also risk being stuck with an albatross you must pay someone upon exit to take it off your hands. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
In the end, it’s an emotional personal decision and nobody "needs" a timeshare.

Take vacations and travel. If you buy a timeshare, use it.

If you spend an extra $20/day than the person next door or $200/day less, it really doesn’t matter.

PS- If anyone can advise on not sweating that damn $20/day. Should I brew my own coffee?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Should I brew my own coffee?
I do because I like to sit around in the room with it in the morning. Then I'm likely to get a latte/mocha at overinflated prices later anyway :)

We do make breakfast in rooms that have a kitchen because: a) we like to and b)I'm inherently cheap on some things.

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have a similar set up....and order single origin beans roasted just the way I like them from a local company here in GA, https://www.smokinbeans.com/, where you order by bean type and how you like the roast...shipped to my door within a couple days of ordering... The nespresso is for when I am lazy.... BTW, I used to roast mine also, I would order unroasted from them and then roast myself...but I got lazy and now just ask them to do it.

1695739429544.png

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They are about $2k I believe
make sure that they list out what they covers. In addition to the closing fees, if you are new to HGV, then there is a $199 club fee and a points activation fee for the deed which are billed later.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And this is our setup. I even got a distributor in addition to the tamper as I saw one in use and really like it.

barista.jpg

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice but that countertop looks way too clean...:)

Reactions: brp

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice but that countertop looks way too clean...:)
All of the paraphernalia are in the left hand cabinet above. Pretty much all coffee in there. The machine top has the pitchers, tamper and distributor.

Also, mrs. brp is a tea person, so I have to keep things neat out of respect :)

The espresso machine is about 22 years old, daily use. I recently had to replace the steamer assembly. It was a rotary, but the is a joystick and I kinda like it. Taking apart the machine to pop in the new parts was kinda fun.

Cheers.

Socallocal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise
make sure that they list out what they covers. In addition to the closing fees, if you are new to HGV, then there is a $199 club fee and a points activation fee for the deed which are billed later.
Yes thank you! My $2k estimate includes the club fee, activation fee, transfer fee, and misc closing costs relating to escrow.

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
I forget what the post is even about. I have Coffee Machine Envy NOW...

I’m thinking I’d grind price down and buy a FANCY coffee maker.
Coffee & Tea | Sur La Table

On the other hand, you might want to see if you can get a few more points (i.e. 3 bedroom platinum instead of 2) or even lower MF rate. These damn timeshare points turn you into a vacation junkie. In case you haven't found this great list: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/2024-hilton-grand-vacations-maintenance-fees.356662/post-2975698

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In case you haven't found this great list
This is a great list but some are very expensive (the large point deeds) so you need to weigh total cost of ownership (purchase price and MF cost over time), others are hard to get via resale since they are SC and they are taken back via ROFR, and a couple are not available at all any more...Coy....

so, far me, I look at total cost with MF/pt being part of it....and what does it cost us per week over a 10/20/30 year period.

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
so, far me, I look at total cost with MF/pt being part of it....and what does it cost us per week over a 10/20/30 year period.
Agreed.

I also find some realtors like Diane Nadeau have access to inventory that might not be fully published and some nicer units. I'm guessing here, but it seems like Hawaii has a lot of Japanese owners that might be ageing out of the travel years and low birthrates mean less demand there. There must be some people who are getting tired of trying for top dollar and just want out. You could ask if she has any that are priced aggressively or fell out of escrow. ROFR is always a fear, so there is a bottom value you want to respect.

Then others like Eric Wyatt have some other trade in inventory must be moved.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think there is turnover so, at any given moment there are some that they have that aren't listed and then at this time of year, many owners are trying to offload before MFs are due