• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

All 2008 Starwood Maintenance Fee Threads/merged (2/27)

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Just noticed that my Westin Kierland mf are posted:

2 bd Platinum LO:

$1044.58 mf
$ 53.60 tax
$ 109.00 svn fee
$1207.18 total

This 7.4% higher than last year's total of $1124.30.

(note: I did not include the optional ARDA contribution.)

Glorian

Last edited by a moderator:

formerhater

Reaction score
My Kierland 1 BR (small) Platinum EOY

Maintenance Fee(s) $ 220.57
Tax $ 11.32
Membership Fee $ 109.00

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheraton Broadway Plantation 2bedroom Lock off

Maintenance Fee(s) $ 849.82
Doesnot include SVN fees.

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
SDO Maintenance fees.

Anyone know what is the 2008 maintenance fees?

Thanks,
Maria

Last edited by a moderator:

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO fees are not yet posted--at least mine aren't.

Glorian

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation 2bedroom Lock off

Maintenance Fee(s) $ 849.82
Doesnot include SVN fees.

I'm pretty sure Maria owns in the new Palmetto section which has higher maintenance.

My two bedroom, non lockoff in the older section went up from 616.87 to 679.15 (excluding SVN and ARDA fees). More than a 10% increase!

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Maria owns in the new Palmetto section which has higher maintenance.

My two bedroom, non lockoff in the older section went up from 616.87 to 679.15 (excluding SVN and ARDA fees). More than a 10% increase!
My is the old phase. It is 2 bedroom lockoff.

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Villas of Cave Creek
Sheraton managed but I'm not a member of SVN

2 bedroom $785.57 inc prop tax
increase of 14.8% over last year

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
My is the old phase. It is 2 bedroom lockoff.

Wow.

I had no idea that there was such a large difference between the maintenance of the regular 2 bedroom and the 2 bedroom lockoffs at SBP.

25% higher maintenance seems like a big premium for the lockoff.

BradC

Reaction score
25% higher maintenance seems like a big premium for the lockoff.
That's actually not out of line if you look at it by square footage.

The 2br lockoff is listed at 1335 square feet. The 2br is 1030 square feet.

The lockoff unit is nearly 30% larger.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's actually not out of line if you look at it by square footage.

The 2br lockoff is listed at 1335 square feet. The 2br is 1030 square feet.

The lockoff unit is nearly 30% larger.

Interesting. I hadn't realized there was such a big size disparity. The additional flexibility of the lockoff is worth something too.

I'm curious now whether the per square foot maintenance (at the same resort) tends to increase or decrease for larger size units.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Resort (Cascades section)

Sheraton Vistana (Cascades) 2 bd non-LO:

$644.83 mf
$104.28 tax
$754.11 total

This is an increase of 1.4% over last year's total of $743.33.

(note: this does not include the optional ARDA contribution or the SVN fee).

Glorian

Last edited:

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Sheraton Desert Oasis 1 bd premium:

$546.04 mf

This is an increase of 9% over last year's total of $500.88.

(note: this does not include the optional ARDA contribution or the SVN fee; taxes are not broken out separately).

Glorian

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheraton Desert Oasis - 2 Bedroom L/0 2008 Maint Fee

The maint fee for a 2 bedroom lock-off at SDO for 2008 is US$794.24 (which includes taxes, but not the SVN or optional ARDA fee). This is also an increase of 9% over last year (US$728.46).

-nodge

Last edited:

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
2008 Mission Hills Fee's are $1407.74

887.04 Vacation ownership assessment
174.77 Condo common assessment
236.93 Master association assessment
109.00 SVN membership fee
__5.00 Voluntary ARDA ROC PAC contribution

$1412.74

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
887.04 Vacation ownership assessment
174.77 Condo common assessment
236.93 Master association assessment
109.00 SVN membership fee
__5.00 Voluntary ARDA ROC PAC contribution

$1412.74

Do you have to taxes out of the maintenance fees?

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana Villages 2 bed standard
Maintenance Fee(s) $ 726.08

Tax - If Applicable $ 126.25

Membership Fee - If Applicable $ 109.00

Other* $ 0.00

Interest $ 0.00

Late Fees $ 0.00

ARDA ROC PAC Contrib.** $ 5.00

Sub-Total
Current Year Charges $ 966.33

TimC

Reaction score
I bought a Sheraton Desert Oasis EOY (every other year) ownership earlier this year with first use in 2009. My Maintenance Fees are listed as $293.02, which is $586.04 over two years. This amount is $40 more than the annual MF as listed by grgs. Is this standard for EOY ownerships?

Also, even though I am a resale purchaser, my current year charges show the $109 membership fee as part of my total due. Also, my onwership details show the Starpoint and Staroption values. Is this true of all ownerships, whether eligible for SVN or not?

I just read seenett's summary of SVN and SVO, along with nettleton's Starpoint spreadsheet. In the spreadsheet, nettleton wrote about Desert Oasis:

"owners who bought their weeks before the resort was part of SVN have been offered SVN membership. The previous developer sold only one season; year round float for weeks 1-52. The weeks are considered Gold for SPG purposes."

seenett wrote: "Owners of some older resorts built and sold by a previous developer (Embassy, Vistana, etc.) before Starwood took control may be allowed to “buy in” to the SVN network and participate fully in the StarOption and StarPoint features; though sometimes at reduced point values. Because many of these resort weeks were purchased before SVN was introduced, there is very limited availability of these weeks within the SVN system. On occasion, SVO will offer SVN membership to the current owners of these weeks in order to get more weeks from that resort to be available within SVN."

The ownership I bought was one of these year round float ownerships sold by the previous developer. I'm looking for advice - should I pay the membership fee and assume that I will be allowed to participate in starpoints and staroptions? Should I ask whether I am eligible? Anything else I should know?

Thanks

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have to taxes out of the maintenance fees?

The taxes for WMH are billed separately by Riverside County. That is $219.24 for this year.

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a Sheraton Desert Oasis EOY (every other year) ownership earlier this year with first use in 2009. My Maintenance Fees are listed as $293.02, which is $586.04 over two years. This amount is $40 more than the annual MF as listed by grgs. Is this standard for EOY ownerships?

Also, even though I am a resale purchaser, my current year charges show the $109 membership fee as part of my total due. Also, my onwership details show the Starpoint and Staroption values. Is this true of all ownerships, whether eligible for SVN or not?

I just read seenett's summary of SVN and SVO, along with nettleton's Starpoint spreadsheet. In the spreadsheet, nettleton wrote about Desert Oasis:

"owners who bought their weeks before the resort was part of SVN have been offered SVN membership. The previous developer sold only one season; year round float for weeks 1-52. The weeks are considered Gold for SPG purposes."

seenett wrote: "Owners of some older resorts built and sold by a previous developer (Embassy, Vistana, etc.) before Starwood took control may be allowed to “buy in” to the SVN network and participate fully in the StarOption and StarPoint features; though sometimes at reduced point values. Because many of these resort weeks were purchased before SVN was introduced, there is very limited availability of these weeks within the SVN system. On occasion, SVO will offer SVN membership to the current owners of these weeks in order to get more weeks from that resort to be available within SVN."

The ownership I bought was one of these year round float ownerships sold by the previous developer. I'm looking for advice - should I pay the membership fee and assume that I will be allowed to participate in starpoints and staroptions? Should I ask whether I am eligible? Anything else I should know?

Thanks
You are not paying for SVN membership. Starwood charges extra $20 for EOY unit per year.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana Villages (Bella) 2 bdr. - 940.29

Maintenance Fee(s) $ 725.86
Tax $ 105.43
Membership Fee $ 109.00

Total $940.29

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'm looking for advice - should I pay the membership fee and assume that I will be allowed to participate in starpoints and staroptions? Should I ask whether I am eligible? Anything else I should know?

Thanks

I'm in the same situation. I recently closed on both a Sheraton Desert Oasis unit. The SDO unit does list StarOptions/Starpoints on mystarcentral. However, I do not believe I can book a reservation with StarOptions or convert my week to Starpoints Even if I was somehow able to make a StarOptions reservation, Starwood would very likely cancel it once they figure out that it's a resale unit. You do not have to pay the $109 membership fee. You should just deduct this from your bill. However, you call Starwood to confirm this.

Glorian

TimC

Reaction score
Even if Starwood allowed me to be in the SVN program, it doesn't seem to make economic sense. With an EOY ownership, I would be paying $109 per year for 44000 StarOption points or 24000 StarPoints every other year. 218 + 586 (MF) + 99 (conversion) = $900 for 24000 StarPoints. Would there be any sense in trying to join SVN?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Even if Starwood allowed me to be in the SVN program, it doesn't seem to make economic sense. With an EOY ownership, I would be paying $109 per year for 44000 StarOption points or 24000 StarPoints every other year. 218 + 586 (MF) + 99 (conversion) = $900 for 24000 StarPoints. Would there be any sense in trying to join SVN?

FYI, voluntary resale owners aren't supposed to be allowed to trade/join SVN -- that's the key difference between mandatory and voluntary resorts. However, neither voluntary nor mandatory resale owners are supposed to be able to convert to StarPoints.

Regardless, if you can't or won't do a lot of trading within SVN, the fee is simply a money maker for Starwood.

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not worth it. 44000 Staroption doesn't go too far within SVN.