• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Abound contest

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Weekly prizes are:

Quantity Prize DescriptionARV
24 (2 awarded per Weekly Entry Period)4 day/3 night resort certificatesUS$1,000.00 per certificate
120 (10 awarded per Weekly Entry Period)Interval International 2-year platinum membershipUS$278.00 per membership
12 (1 awarded per Weekly Entry Period)US$200 in Club Dues credit or 16,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points*US$200.00

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
According to the rules of the Abound contest, "[t]he number of entries into the then-current Weekly Sweepstakes and into the Grand Prize Sweepstakes that an entrant who is not a potential winner of an Instant Win Game Prize will receive for playing an Instant Win Game will vary by day, with one (1) Weekly Sweepstakes entry and one (1) Grand Prize Sweepstakes entry received on Tuesdays and Thursdays, two (2) Weekly Sweepstakes entries and two (2) Grand Prize Sweepstakes entries received on Mondays, Fridays and Sundays, and three (3) Weekly Sweepstakes entries and three (3) Grand Prize Sweepstakes entries received on Wednesdays and Saturdays (each day begins at 12:00 a.m. ET)." Since it's Sunday, you should have only received two entries. Seems to indicate that they might have some IT issues; go figure! :crash:
I just played and one 1 sweepstakes entry. If its IT issues, then MVCs bad IT seems to have worn off on their contest vendor. Looking at the domain for the contest it is eprize that is facilitating the sweepstakes and nothing about it would be held on Marriott servers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Interesting. I haven’t really read on up the contest, i just keep playing it. I thought sweepstakes entries, were for the grand prize. Didn’t realize there were weekly sweepstakes. Even the contest is confusing….. oh Marriott.
So these are not for the grand prize?

I'll take the weekly prizes but now cannot login to play. This is pushing the (A)bounds of my patience.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

I'll take the weekly prizes but now cannot login to play. This is pushing the (A)bounds of my patience.
I don't think there is a Grand Prize for the overall contest period. Just one for each week which is the MF paid and resort stay certificate. Valued up to $10K each week.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Okay. Weekly even better. Thanks for clarifying. Will try again. :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I don't think there is a Grand Prize for the overall contest period. Just one for each week which is the MF paid and resort stay certificate. Valued up to $10K each week.
I assumed there was a grand prize for the overall contest period. That’s great if there is a weekly grand prize winner.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
There are grand prizes at the end. They are a week resort certificate valued at $5k and up to $5k for 2024 MFs. One of each for VSN & MVC.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points

Anybody surprised?..You cant make this stuff up…:rolleyes:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The rules that are linked from the contest site and all of the emails from Marriott and helloworld list all of the instant, weekly, and grand prizes. I know I’m not supposed to make this stuff up, so have just been copying the info from those rules. I have no complaints about the prizes, though I’ve been having issues with getting to the site today.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I finally got it to work this morning. They changed the placards so you have new images to match. I won ONE sweepstakes entry!

Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Yesterday I couldn't get it to work any of the times I tried, so I missed that day's opportunity to enter. Grrr.

Today it worked for me. I still had images to match. And I won three sweepstakes entries, woo hoo!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I can't even log into the website today to even try right now.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
New weekly content on the sweepstakes page in Vistana. One of the new things is learn about your level and benefits in Abound. The link goes here:

But it doesn't display anything for me, just redirects to Dashboard. Anyone has the same issue?

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unclear what is reported for tax purposes.
I once won a business class ticket on ANA, that I used to fly from Dulles to Narita with a codeshare connection onto New Zealand. For the 1099, they used the amount that it would have cost me to pay cash to book that same itinerary at the time I reserved it. It was a hefty amount (like $8-$9K.) But worth every. single. penny in taxes (and the "child's fare" I booked to take my then 9 year old daughter with me.)

And @Eric B, you will, of course, need to report back here to let us know what fabulous vacation you booked with your 1,000 points.

I love sweepstakes! And I've had a history of winning--not just the ANA ticket (which was through LinkedIn, I believe,) but also one from the National Parks Foundation and a few others. My daughter is even luckier (trust me, like Jon Hamm's "bubble" from 30 Rock lucky.) I don't gamble and rarely buy a lottery ticket (it has to be over $500M and I have to remember to do it, a rare combo,) but I love wrapping my arms around a good sweepstakes.

I don't play in either of these timeshare pools, but it's nice to know what your MF are paying for. :D

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
New weekly content on the sweepstakes page in Vistana. One of the new things is learn about your level and benefits in Abound. The link goes here:

But it doesn't display anything for me, just redirects to Dashboard. Anyone has the same issue?
No, the link worked for me after logging in.

I noticed that even tho it is week 2 of the contest, the number of my weekly entries appears to have carried over from week 1.
Maybe this is just a logic error. The Grand Prize entry count should keep adding up from week to week.

Abound Contest week2.jpg

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
My working theory - I'm a farmer and get up early in the morning, have my coffee, and log on to read my email, etc., unless I have to go in to work at my real job. One of the "etc.," things now is doing the silly Abound contest. On days that I don't go in to work, I've won 500 PlusPoints.

As @dioxide45 hints at, the first person to log on after the date/time randomly set for a prize wins that prize as an instant win. If no one else has logged onto Vistana for several hours and done the Abound contest, there are a lot more randomly set date/times that are covered by the date/time I log in. The prize I've won twice is being awarded 996 times over 12 weeks, which is 84 days or about 2016 hours. If the date/times for the awards are randomly spread in a uniform distribution, there would be one about every two hours. The same analysis is true for the 1,000 Bonvoy point prize, won by @dioxide45 per this post by the way, @CPNY. The other prizes listed have fewer occurrences, being awarded 120 or 240 times each, so would only show up about every 17 or 34 hours. In a way, that outcome makes sense as the PlusPoints are for use only in Abound, which is what they are trying to get people to use, and giving those away will drive usage. The other prizes are a bit more tangentially related - an Abound towel is the closest to an advertising memento, while the Bonvoy points and the Shutterfly book are more travel related than Abound related.

Anyway, back to my theory - if I log on to Vistana and run through the contest at a time in the morning when no one has been on in several hours because it isn't a Tuesday and there are no highly desirable dates for traveling 6, 8, 10, 12, or 13 months out (covering all the options for VSN and Abound), I am more likely to instantly win a prize than if I log on to Vistana in the afternoon. The prize I win will probably be either the 500 PlusPoint one or the 1,000 Bonvoy point one because there are a lot more of them. The rules indicate that "Odds of winning an Instant Win Game prize depend on the number of Instant Win prizes available divided by the number of eligible Instant Win Game plays." As is true with a lot of things in the timeshare world, that is true to a certain extent if looked at from a macro perspective, for the player in an individual instance, the odds of winning an Instant Win Game prize that is randomly distributed by time is influenced a bit more strongly by how many other players are entering around the same time as they are.

I was hoping to test my theory this morning as it's still a bit too dark to go out and feed the critters, but the Vistana site is just giving me an HTTP error 500, which is no where as good as giving me the 500 PlusPoints.
Just curious, when you've won, did you get the you've won message instantly when you clicked to play the matching game?
Or did the website tell you only after you had completed matching the picture icons?

I make it a memory game, like the old Concentration, to see if I can match the icons without having to open them up more than necessary.
So far, I haven't done it perfectly :(

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just curious, when you've won, did you get the you've won message instantly when you clicked to play the matching game?
Or did the website tell you only after you had completed matching the picture icons?

I make it a memory game, like the old Concentration, to see if I can match the icons without having to open them up more than necessary.
When I won the 1000 Bonvoy Points twice, it notified me after playing the matching game.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It was after completing the matching portion. I would guess that's the time they use for the entry to compare with the random times. I'm not sure how much after that I got the emails because they went into my Junk e-mail folder; for each win I got one asking me to confirm my address, one saying my win would be reviewed and I didn't need to do anything else, and one saying my win had been approved and I should get the PlusPoints within 30 days. The final one was Monday afternoon, so I would guess the winners are reviewed and approved by Marriott; the other emails looked like automated ones.

And @Eric B, you will, of course, need to report back here to let us know what fabulous vacation you booked with your 1,000 points.

Will do. Seems to me that I can do fairly well with that; I've already booked 6 nights at Los Suenos in Costa Rica using 650 Abound points from an SVV week I elected - tail end of the low season but it links up with a couple of weeks I have after it at Flora Farms.

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
No, the link worked for me after logging in.

I noticed that even tho it is week 2 of the contest, the number of my weekly entries appears to have carried over from week 1.
Maybe this is just a logic error. The Grand Prize entry count should keep adding up from week to week.

View attachment 72082
I just noticed that as of this morning this glitch has been fixed! So behold, IT improvements of some kind do sometimes happen.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can,t get it to work

I keep getting "something went wrong error" when I click the Play Now button

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worked for me just now. I won 3 sweepstakes entries! Woo Hoo!

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today I finally won something other than entries. Can’t wait to see if I get the email for my beach towel that I won, although I’d prefer abound points like Eric.