• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2021 changeable reservation policy changes

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
They did not charge you another booking fee... as if you had cancelled + rebooked?
If not, my guess is that they secretly waived the 60-day rule, or their IT peep screwed up.
No they didn’t

Could it be that I’m bHC with AI?

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that’s it. Since you have unlimited free bookings, you can change what you want (up to 30 days out?).
I’m that case that would be awesome.
Can you verify by trying to do a modification less than 60 days out and check if that triggers a new booking fee?

also I’mI correct that the current cancellation policy states that any reservation can be cancelled up to 30th of June without penalty regardless of checkin date?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I’m that case that would be awesome.
Can you verify by trying to do a modification less than 60 days out and check if that triggers a new booking fee?

also I’mI correct that the current cancellation policy states that any reservation can be cancelled up to 30th of June without penalty regardless of checkin date?

I don’t have any that reservations that fall under those timelines so I can’t.

Just a correction on the cancellation, you cancel at any point any reservation on or before June 30th. If you are checking in on July 1st, you can’t cancel in June without losing any points.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just a correction on the cancellation, you cancel at any point any reservation on or before June 30th. If you are checking in on July 1st, you can’t cancel in June without losing any points.

Are you sure about that - that’s not how I understand it. Checkin date was not part of the information.
Let me see if I can find it.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about that - that’s not how I understand it. Checkin date was not part of the information.
Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is

Cancellation and Refund Policy
We understand that our Club Members may feel uncertainty about booking future travel during this time. To allow for travel flexibility and peace of mind, we are waiving our reservation cancellation policy through June 2021 so you can cancel any time prior to check-in. Members will receive a full refund of Points and Open Season rental rates for any reservation cancellations made through June 30, 2021. Reservation fees are non-refundable.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Here it is

We understand that our Club Members may feel uncertainty about booking future travel during this time. To allow for travel flexibility and peace of mind, we are waiving our reservation cancellation policy through June 2021 so you can cancel any time prior to check-in. Members will receive a full refund of Points and Open Season rental rates for any reservation cancellations made through June 30, 2021. Reservation fees are non-refundable.

I always read it the other way, but I’m not always correct. It would only effect July reservations as any after that would have full points returned if canceled on or before June 30th.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always read it the other way, but I’m not always correct. It would only effect July reservations as any after that would have full points returned if canceled on or before June 30th.

I have reached out to HGVC by email just to get it clarified as you could understand it either way and if you and I understand it differently so will many others.

Last edited:

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise

This is what we were told by HGVC and so any reservation happening before June 30, 2021 we were told we could cancel free and then the reservations after that date we were told to buy insurance to cancel for any reason if we were concerned about losing points for a possible cancellation.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what we were told by HGVC and so any reservation happening before June 30, 2021 we were told we could cancel free and then the reservations after that date we were told to buy insurance to cancel for any reason if we were concerned about losing points for a possible cancellation.
To me at least it’s not clear that the checkin date has to be on or before 30th of june.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The wording is ambiguous. As I read it...
You can cancel w/o penalty thru 6/30, regardless of check-in date.
Then on 7/1, the cancellation policy returns in full force + effect.

They may have intended it to apply only to check-ins thru 6/30.
But they did not explicitly say so. Or so I would argue in court.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I had a two reservations that I wanted to shuffle points on, one within 60 days but still more than 31 days, one just outside of 60 days. Technically I would have to pay to cancel and rebook them, but the VC did them for me at no charge. I assume it was because I wanted the same reservation, but just want different points used.

Wyndham used to be this way where you had to book reservations with the "right" points because points were pulled at time of booking, Now Wyndham just has a total bucket of points that it compares against, so as you make a reservation and then cancel others, as long as the total points are under the allotment for that year, then all is good. Wyndham used to be the way the HGVC is, but thankfully they changed it, wish that HGVC would figure out a way to make that work too. I am tired of shuffling points.

Come on HGVC you can't be outdone by Wyndham. LOL

toontoy

Reaction score
Can you shuffle points. I tried to make a change to a 3 bedroom penthouse in the lagoon tower and it wouldn't work so I just booked a new one. It pulled from my 2023 points and now I have the 2022 points. When I called they told me they cant change the points on the reservation. who do you have to ask to make the adjustment?

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Can you shuffle points. I tried to make a change to a 3 bedroom penthouse in the lagoon tower and it would work so I just booked a new one. It pulled from my 2023 points and now I have the 2022 points. When I called they told me they cant change the points on the reservation. who do you have to ask to make the adjustment?

You have to be willing to cancel it and allow a VC to pick it back up for you. There is a slight risk another VC will pick it up. But cancellations VCs can see almost instantly, but it takes about 15 minutes for the website to see that cancellation.

It you have a changeable reservation and you are outside of the 60 day window try this method...

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I have two Ocean Oak reservations for early July check-ins and it looks like they will allow me to modify my reservations (drop days). I am not going to click all the way through since I have what I want.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two Ocean Oak reservations for early July check-ins and it looks like they will allow me to modify my reservations (drop days). I am not going to click all the way through since I have what I want.
Do you have AI?

If not when you click to modify and start clicking through the process are you asked to pay another reservation fee?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Do you have AI?

If not when you click to modify and start clicking through the process are you asked to pay another reservation fee?

I do not have AI. I may not be clicking through far enough to see a fee but it seems exactly like things were before. I am not going to play around and muck up a week of July 4th Ocean Oak vacation to satisfy my curiosity. We will figure this out in good time.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
So a few days ago I sent HGVC an email:

Hi HGVC

Just a quick question regarding the cancellation policy.

The policy reads

Does that mean that I can cancel any reservation regardless of a checkin date also if the checkin date is 7/3-2021 and I cancel 6/30 and not be penalized on my points?

The answer came today.

Thank you for your email. If you cancel a reservation by June 30, 2021, regardless of the check in date of your reservation, no points will be forfeit.

Sincerely,

So any reservation can be cancelled up to 30/6 regardless of checkin date. On 7/1 normal cancellation policy applies again.

Roam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC but in process of rescission.
This was the message HGV posted in 2020 during COVID-19
We understand that our Club Members may feel uncertainty about booking future travel during this time. To allow for travel flexibility and peace of mind, we are now waiving our reservation cancellation policy through the end of the year so you can cancel any time prior to check-in. Members will receive a full refund of Points and Open Season fees for any reservation cancellations made through December 31, 2020.

HGV’s generous 2020 exception above most likely caused additional rooms to go empty last year :shrug:.
Also, if HGV had an empty room issue, then they would eliminate/modify their all inclusive club fee and/or Elite Benefits that contribute to rooms being held and released late :ponder:.

Thanks, I‘ve never looked at the cancellation protection option.

It’s $69 for 2021 and it looks like you have to purchase it when you confirm your reservation. So essentially to get the same option you had previously, you now have to pay the $59 reservation + $69 protection fee = $128 new increased fee :rolleyes:.

Hopefully HGVC will continue to waive the reservation cancellation policy, including the new Changeable Reservation Policy, until COVID-19 travel restrictions are no longer a potential issue in 2021.

The last thing I need is another obstacle to manage while trying to vacation in Hawaii in 2021:mad:.
Is this 59$ reservation fee per night or for either 1 night or 10 nights still the same $59 for each reservation made regardless of stay length? I saw a review that said it was per night but that seems ridiculous. I am new to this site, first day, and I just sent in a rescission letter and looking to get informed of how all this works for a while to see if its worth the value of the resale prices/deal. If you have to book 9 months out trip, that seems a little crazy also to get the best deal/nicest places. Is that how it is?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Is this 59$ reservation fee per night or for either 1 night or 10 nights still the same $59 for each reservation made regardless of stay length?

The booking fee is per reservation, regardless of length of stay.
Owners at "by Hilton Club" (bHC) have an A-I option for HGVC fees.
The fee for booking RCI varies for depending on length from 1-7 days.

If you have to book 9 months out trip, that seems a little crazy also to get the best deal/nicest places. Is that how it is?

For high-demand, high-season locales - Honolulu, NYC, Hilton Head and ski-venues
- you need to be quick on the draw. You're competing with the unwashed masses.
But you can still get decent options at many properties up to a few months out.
Carlsbad, Orlando, Vegas & Myrtle Beach are not hard to get.

Roam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC but in process of rescission.
@Talent312 Is it as difficult to book places at Europe locations as it is in US? I may be living in Germany for 3 years so Europe locations would be what I would be interested in later down the road during the holiday seasons.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Is this 59$ reservation fee per night or for either 1 night or 10 nights still the same $59 for each reservation made regardless of stay length? I saw a review that said it was per night but that seems ridiculous. I am new to this site, first day, and I just sent in a rescission letter and looking to get informed of how all this works for a while to see if its worth the value of the resale prices/deal. If you have to book 9 months out trip, that seems a little crazy also to get the best deal/nicest places. Is that how it is?

In the Timeshare world you need to book way ahead to get the most sought after locations particularly during holiday and perhaps summer prime vacation periods. However, even though you make a reservation and pay the $59 per reservation, which can be up to 28 days, you can still change it up to 60 days out(in the same calendar year) without losing the reservarion fee. You need to start to use and work the system. Ask questions as you have here on TUG and enjoy the vacations.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Talent312 Is it as difficult to book places at Europe locations as it is in US? I may be living in Germany for 3 years so Europe locations would be what I would be interested in later down the road during the holiday seasons.
Vilamoura during summer time you really need to own there unless you are okay with a few days here and there.

Italy might be easier but summer time might be difficult too

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
You should be able to book Scotland since there are 3 different resorts.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've seen availability for Scotland and Italy a few months out.
But you need to be lucky and quick to get into Portugal.
For Europe, RCI exchanges thru the HGVC portal is a good option.

Its somewhat like hunting for a parking space near a door.
You may get lucky, but flexibility finds you a spot faster.

Last edited: