• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2021 changeable reservation policy changes

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Hmmm...good point. Perhaps this change was targeting the mega renters.

I’m assuming the mega renters are most likely taking advantage of free unlimited HGV reservations (either due to the all inclusive fee or Elite benefit) so they don’t lose anything until the cancellation period begins (30 days before checkin).

However any renter who pays a reservation fee and/or cancellation protection fee will include that out of pocket expense in their rental rate.

Yes "Mega Renters" are violating the rules about renting weeks that were not their home weeks. Since this rule change prohibits the changing of reservations within 60 days of check in it does make it more difficult to rent reservations. Since booking your Home Week does not cause a reservation fee charge it can be cancelled upto 31 days in advance of check in and then rebooked without incurring reservation fees renting a home week would be less impacted. However, since within 31 days of check in the resevation would need to be cancelled there would be a loss of some points.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out some of the logistics. Lets say I reserve a 2bdrm standard at the Lagoon Tower at HHV. 58 days prior to check in, a 2bdrm premier opens up, which I want instead.

Do I select the 2bdrm premier, in which the system will cancel my 2bdrm standard and book the 2bdrm Premier and charge me another $59 reservation fee?

or

Do I have to cancel my 2bdrm standard first, then book the 2bdrm Premier?

I really don't like the second option because there is a potential of losing your current reservation and the open room being snatched.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The down side with that would be you can't be 100% convinced that policy will stay in place.
You have made a good point which really can applies to all rules.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Trying to figure out some of the logistics. Lets say I reserve a 2bdrm standard at the Lagoon Tower at HHV. 58 days prior to check in, a 2bdrm premier opens up, which I want instead.

Do I select the 2bdrm premier, in which the system will cancel my 2bdrm standard and book the 2bdrm Premier and charge me another $59 reservation fee?

or

I really don't like the second option because there is a potential of losing your current reservation and the open room being snatched.
Your first booking will not automatically be canceled. That will be a manual transaction.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
This will likely reign in the mega Lagoon renters unless they have a sure thing before 60 days.
Hmmm...good point. Perhaps this change was targeting the mega renters.
Do you think that we have a mega renter problem in the HGVC system (at LT and/or elsewhere)? I know that the HGVC rules allow renting of Home Week reservations but those reservations are non-changeable. Club season reservations (changeable) are not allowed to be rented out. I don't want to be penalized for mega-renter misusing the system. I would also think that it would be fairly simple for HGVC to also figure out if there is a mega-renter issue (just review the reservation history/guest certificate)

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Your first booking will not automatically be canceled. That will be a manual transaction.

or

You bring up a good point of the loss of flexibility with this new reservation rule change.

If you have enough points your can make the reservation for the 2 bdrm Premier that you want first and then cancel the 2 bdrm standard and not risk losing your reservation. If you don't have enough points then you need to do the cancel and re-booking quickly to avoid losing the first reservation if you within the 60 day no reservation change period.

Althought this isn't much of an issue now with most members having an abundance of points due to the pandemic, in the past when vacationing a lot a short on points I have waited until open season to book an alternate unit in the same location with cash and then moving the original reservation more than 30 days out and then cancelling it to save points or using the reservation somewhere else so that there was no loss of points or reservation fee.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Do you think that we have a mega renter problem in the HGVC system (at LT and/or elsewhere)? I know that the HGVC rules allow renting of Home Week reservations but those reservations are non-changeable. Club season reservations (changeable) are not allowed to be rented out. I don't want to be penalized for mega-renter misusing the system. I would also think that it would be fairly simple for HGVC to also figure out if there is a mega-renter issue (just review the reservation history/guest certificate)

If/when can HGVC put open rooms into the Hilton reservation system? Could this be a way to rent rooms through Hilton/other reservation sites? Having people change less than 30 days in advance would seriously hinder the ability to rent those rooms. Being able to monetize those rooms earlier would keep them filled.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes, there has been a serious spike in Redweek rental activity for the Lagoon Tower. Just take a look at the Redweek Ads (link). Back in Sept there were multiple units offered for almost every week of the 9 month Club Reservation Window. I mentioned it briefly in Sept (link).

I also agree it should be fairly simple for a developer to also figure out if there is a mega-renter issue (just review the reservation history/guest certificate). Sadly developers seem to react the same way when faced with mega-renter issues. They add fees (guest certificates) and start changing club rules that hurt existing members as well.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
To confirm if I read this policy correctly:

• Any changes within 60 - 31 days prior will be treated as a cancellation and will result in loss of the reservation fee (but no loss of points).
  • Changes 31 days to check-in will not only result in loss of reservation fee but also points loss (31 - 15 half; 14 - check-in 100%)
  • This does not change Elites and AI plans because these programs don't pay reservation fees.

One other area new to me is that open season can be cancelled between 30 - 15 days prior with 50% loss of reservation. I hadn't seen that before as I thought they were 100% non-cancellable.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
  • Any changes within 60 - 31 days prior will be treated as a cancellation and will result in loss of the reservation fee (but no loss of points).
  • Changes 31 days to check-in will not only result in loss of reservation fee but also points loss (31 - 15 half; 14 - check-in 100%)
One other area new to me is that open season can be cancelled between 30 - 15 days prior with 50% loss of reservation. I hadn't seen that before as I thought they were 100% non-cancellable.

AFAIK, that is correct...
If in the point-penalty period, you can't play the change-game to avoid point loss...
That should make buying cancellation protection ($69) much more attractive.
I wonder if capturing more of those fees isn't one of their objectives.

--------------
When smaller So. Fla. affiliates booking went online, it destabilized their occupancy.
They started getting short stays and late changes. It musta be maddening to the staff.
So, I wonder if this wasn't partially to address that as well.

Last edited:

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Considering most of my usage will involve flights, I don’t think this will affect me as much as others, but I do see issues if I want to add/drop a night or two within 60 days or get a bigger room at a location I’m driving to or want to bring another party on a trip. To me there’s a big difference between walking away from a reservation and making a slight modification on unsold inventory.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes "Mega Renters" are violating the rules about renting weeks that were not their home weeks. Since this rule change prohibits the changing of reservations within 60 days of check in it does make it more difficult to rent reservations. Since booking your Home Week does not cause a reservation fee charge it can be cancelled upto 31 days in advance of check in and then rebooked without incurring reservation fees renting a home week would be less impacted. However, since within 31 days of check in the resevation would need to be cancelled there would be a loss of some points.

As long as HGV offers the Cancellation Protection option, this rule change will simply make it more expensive (not more difficult) for mega renters.

Renters will simply enroll in the Cancellation Protection option when they confirm their reservation. This additional expense along with every other HGV expense will simply be included in their rental price.
If the mega renter is unable to rent, they’ll simply lose the $69 protection fee but everything else is the same for them (retain their points and cancel anytime prior to checkin).

NOTE: A savvy mega renter will be an Elite or BHC owner to avoid the HGV reservation fee. They won’t have the additional $59 reservation fee in my example below.

04E1F86D-00AA-4954-8857-17CD21EA6C15.png

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMHO I would rather have HGVC institute this optional fee to remain profitable, to expand and avoid takeovers than having this added to all maint fees.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Considering most of my usage will involve flights, I don’t think this will affect me as much as others, but I do see issues if I want to add/drop a night or two within 60 days or get a bigger room at a location I’m driving to or want to bring another party on a trip. To me there’s a big difference between walking away from a reservation and making a slight modification on unsold inventory.

I agree that most owners may not be impacted.

HGVC has multiple resorts at a single destination. The old changeable reservation option allowed members to take advantage of availability up until checkin so even though you had booked flights, you could move to a better location and/or room type.

NOTE: Some locations have a limited numbers of rooms in a specific view / unit types. Deros in post #27 provided a great example.

I tend to book mini family reunion vacations. Having the flexibility to make changes as my party size fluctuates and room/unit types become available can be very helpful especially at high demand resorts. This change will force me to rethink my strategy going forward.

Last edited:

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
Not a fan of this is any way. I’ve have always looked for room upgrades within the 30 day window and have usually spent more points
I’m guessing with this implementation that I would be able to make changes sooner assuming other people change their plans sooner
This does seem like a money play to generate additional fee revenue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMHO I would rather have HGVC institute this optional fee to remain profitable, to expand and avoid takeovers than having this added to all maint fees.

Isn't "remaining profitable" what will attract takeover suitors?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Already covered here in current discussion

Cheers.

USDave

Reaction score
So despite a pandemic when nearly every other company is offering more flexibility. They have decided to change to more inflexible than even before the pandemic. I urge you all to flood the Twitter feed and FB of HGVC to campaign against this.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So despite a pandemic when nearly every other company is offering more flexibility. They have decided to change to more inflexible than even before the pandemic. I urge you all to flood the Twitter feed and FB of HGVC to campaign against this.

You bring up a good point that with the pandemic and companies bending over backwards and being more flexible to accomodate customers and this is the less fliexible opposite. Perhaps the thinking is that with most customers with twice the number of points available to use in 2021 than in prior years the entire availability/reservation system might be overloaded with reservations, changes, and scarsity. If there are members who double and triple book the system for certain dates with the possibility of changing reservations right at the end it could cause booking problems for members who book their vacations many months in advance due to false minimal availability and then leave lots of open rooms near checkin day which would be too late for people to change their plans.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
There is some truth to this. The more points I have amassed, the more likely I am to have more speculative reservations.

You bring up a good point that with the pandemic and companies bending over backwards and being more flexible to accomodate customers and this is the less fliexible opposite. Perhaps the thinking is that with most customers with twice the number of points available to use in 2021 than in prior years the entire availability/reservation system might be overloaded with reservations, changes, and scarsity. If there are members who double and triple book the system for certain dates with the possibility of changing reservations right at the end it could cause booking problems for members who book their vacations many months in advance due to false minimal availability and then leave lots of open rooms near checkin day which would be too late for people to change their plans.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
I could see trying to limit excess reservations this year, it goes both ways as you say. Perhaps post covid they could rescind the fees and find a better, more targeted way to accomplish the goal of increasing available inventory. Unless the goal is just more fees. :D

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If availability is the concern, then they should explore other solutions that address the issue without making it less flexible for everyone.

For example, they could make a one time exclusive offer to their high point owners (Elite Plus and Elite Premier), allowing them to save all expiring points into 2022 for a special rate by January 31. This would help spread the load across two years and provide an Elite benefit at the same time.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If availability is the concern, then they should explore other solutions that address the issue without making it less flexible for everyone.

For example, they could make a one time exclusive offer to their high point owners (Elite Plus and Elite Premier), allowing them to save all expiring points into 2022 for a special rate by January 31. This would help spread the load across two years and provide an Elite benefit at the same time.
It is already free for Elite Premier owners to save points.

Kurt