• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2021 changeable reservation policy changes

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Changeable Reservation Policy

The Changeable Reservation Policy was modified, limiting changes to 61 days or more in advance of check-in for travel starting in the same calendar year. The previous policy allowed changes any time before check-in as long as the change resulted in the use of the same number of ClubPoints or greater for travel starting in the same calendar year.

The new Changeable Reservation Policy applies to all new reservations and reservations confirmed before January 1, 2021.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Changeable Reservation Policy

The Changeable Reservation Policy was modified, limiting changes to 61 days or more in advance of check-in for travel starting in the same calendar year. The previous policy allowed changes any time before check-in as long as the change resulted in the use of the same number of ClubPoints or greater for travel starting in the same calendar year.

The new Changeable Reservation Policy applies to all new reservations and reservations confirmed before January 1, 2021.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Whaaaat??? Boooooooooooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for sharing. I wonder what drove this change :(

4D722CA5-B265-4691-91DE-870597EB03EE.png

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The resorts (esp. affiliates) were likely complaining about last minute changes.

Correction:
So now you can't avoid the LT '30' or '61' problem by moving the stay further out
... as that is itself subject to the new rule.

-----------------------------------
"...in light of COVID-19, Club is waiving the reservation cancellation policy,
including the new Changeable Reservation Policy, through February 28, 2021...
-- IOW, we don't want to hear any belly-aching about it until March.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
They also weren't making enough money from the cancel protection fees. Wow, I will need to re-think my reservations. I certainly don't like this change at all.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
They also weren't making enough money from the cancel protection fees. Wow, I will need to re-think my reservations. I certainly don't like this change at all.

Me either. This new policy is a huge change and will effect how I book in the future. I think too many reservation changes that close to checkin day left too many open rooms that will never be booked.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Me either. This new policy is a huge change and will effect how I book in the future. I think too many reservation changes that close to checkin day left too many open rooms that will never be booked.
To your point isn't this a good thing though? It means less wasted inventory which equals more availability for booking. And it makes folks more conscientious about their bookings from the beginning, knowing they can't change beyond 60 days out.

I'm pretty new to the system so maybe this is all wrong. I'm just thinking of another hard to book resort (non timeshare) that I go to, they enacted a similar policy two years ago and it seems to have led to fewer unused nights overall, which essentially means more people have successfully booked and fewer slots have gone unused.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
This was the message HGV posted in 2020 during COVID-19
We understand that our Club Members may feel uncertainty about booking future travel during this time. To allow for travel flexibility and peace of mind, we are now waiving our reservation cancellation policy through the end of the year so you can cancel any time prior to check-in. Members will receive a full refund of Points and Open Season fees for any reservation cancellations made through December 31, 2020.

HGV’s generous 2020 exception above most likely caused additional rooms to go empty last year :shrug:.
Also, if HGV had an empty room issue, then they would eliminate/modify their all inclusive club fee and/or Elite Benefits that contribute to rooms being held and released late :ponder:.

Thanks, I‘ve never looked at the cancellation protection option.

It’s $69 for 2021 and it looks like you have to purchase it when you confirm your reservation. So essentially to get the same option you had previously, you now have to pay the $59 reservation + $69 protection fee = $128 new increased fee :rolleyes:.

Hopefully HGVC will continue to waive the reservation cancellation policy, including the new Changeable Reservation Policy, until COVID-19 travel restrictions are no longer a potential issue in 2021.

The last thing I need is another obstacle to manage while trying to vacation in Hawaii in 2021:mad:.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
So now stays after mid-October can't be moved 61 days later to beat the rule.
can you elaborate on this? Do you mean you'd push into the next year, which is not not allowed?
Also, does this now mean that we have to deposit our home booked week at least 61+ days in advance (vs. 30) to swap for points?
And, if I deposit a Dec 2021 week before 60 day out (say August 2021), do those points roll over for 2022 usage for free? Is this "saved" points? thanks from a Newbie!

Last edited:

Wright17s

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite Premier; Valdoro x6, Trump, Paradise, Sunrise Lodge
If I’m understanding this correctly, this change seems to also limit the ability to do last minute room upgrades as well. For example, I just changed my reservation checking in a week from now from a studio to a 1bdrm since availability opened up, but now it sounds like that would be treated as a cancellation and a new booking? Wow, this is going to really change how I manage my reservations...

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
can you elaborate on this? Do you mean you'd push into the next year, which is not not allowed?...

My post was an impulse and incorrect. What I shoulda said was...

The method moving stays w/in 30 days further out to beat the rule won't work anymore.
Becuz: If you're within the cancellation-period (61), you can't move it at all w/o penalty.

You can give yourself some extra time moving a stay in mid-October to late December
(an extra 61 days) - in the same calendar year - but only if you're still MT 61 days out.

------------------------
This change makes HGVC much less hotel-like, but prolly more consistent with other TS's.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Is the cancellation period still 31 days, just the change is 61?

The answer is YES, I just found it on the same screen shot above. Well perhaps my Elite (lowest level) will be more useful, as I get free 7 day reservations. So it might open up inventory that people cancel that at least as an Elite I could potentially rebook, provided 7 days were available. Not thinking that will be overly helpful, but I guess I can observe and see.

I am not surprised that they changed the rule, I thought it was overly generous to begin with. I am sure it was intended to allow for upgrades to happen, but people were using it to move it to another resort in the future, instead of losing their points. So yet another loophole that made playing the game useful has been removed.

I just see this as HGVC figuring out that another one of their good intended rules was just not implemented in the system that way. As an Elite I am allowed to book 7 day ressies for NO reservation fee, however I still have to pay fees for reservations less or greater than 7 days. These 7 day ressies always used to be changable reservations in HGVC system, as that was the only kind the developers had programed. Problem for HGVC is that I used to be able to book a 7 day for free and then immediately change it to 3 days, no charge. Which basically bypassed the Business Rules, as it was intended.

This is why understanding business rules and their intent vs how IT programs the systems, and you will find they are NOT often in alignment.

If HGVC IT could configure the system to allow only changes to be within that 61 day window that use more points and not be moved out of that window then the original intent of the rule for booking a bigger unit should one become available could be systematically allowed.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
However....NOTE:

Please note that in light of COVID-19, Club is waiving the reservation cancellation policy, including the new Changeable Reservation Policy, through February 28, 2021, to allow for travel flexibility and peace of mind. Once the COVID-19 waiver ends, the new Changeable Reservation Policy will go into effect. Visit the Club News page for the latest details.

They also removed...

Auto Save
The Auto Save feature will no longer be available.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
This will likely reign in the mega Lagoon renters unless they have a sure thing before 60 days.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
When is the latest under the new rules that I can save 2021 points into 2022?

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
This will likely reign in the mega Lagoon renters unless they have a sure thing before 60 days.
Hmmm...good point. Perhaps this change was targeting the mega renters.

I’m assuming the mega renters are most likely taking advantage of free unlimited HGV reservations (either due to the all inclusive fee or Elite benefit) so they don’t lose anything until the cancellation period begins (30 days before checkin).

However any renter who pays a reservation fee and/or cancellation protection fee will include that out of pocket expense in their rental rate.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
When is the latest under the new rules that I can save 2021 points into 2022?

Before the end of 2021.

From the Club Rules
Prior to December 31, 11:59 PM ET of the current year, Members may “Save” any of the remaining ClubPoints from expiring by depositing these ClubPoints into the following year’s account.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Hmmm...good point. Perhaps this change was targeting the mega renters.

I’m assuming the mega renters are most likely taking advantage of free unlimited HGV reservations (either due to the all inclusive fee or Elite benefit) so they don’t lose anything until the cancellation period begins (30 days before checkin).

However any renter who pays a reservation fee and/or cancellation protection fee will include that out of pocket expense in their rental rate.

What is a mega renter?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
What is a mega renter?

Someone who buys up a bunch of deeds (or points) and rents them out for profit. Usually, they get the really good dates leaving those that are using their points for personal vacations with less desirable reservations. This is the first I have heard of HGVC mega renters, but wouldn’t surprise me if someone figured out how to get around the rules.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Someone who buys up a bunch of deeds (or points) and rents them out for profit. Usually, they get the really good dates leaving those that are using their points for personal vacations with less desirable reservations. This is the first I have heard of HGVC mega renters, but wouldn’t surprise me if someone figured out how to get around the rules.

Lagoon is very competitive to get reservations and just look at all the rentals on redweek.

The new changes also mean some desirable inventory could open up within 60 days.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Oh, now I understand! Thanks. I assumed it was someone booking multiple weeks for themselves.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
For those with bHC properties this makes the All Inclusive fee that much more useful.

Cheers.

This change could almost tip me to get a resale bHC property in part to have the option of the all inclusive fee for reservations. The down side with that would be you can't be 100% convinced that policy will stay in place.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Lagoon is very competitive to get reservations and just look at all the rentals on redweek.

The new changes also mean some desirable inventory could open up within 60 days.
Agree, but now there's a cost to change an existing reservation to a newly available one within those sixty days. So it probably increases availability but at a price. Actually I guess the availability will open up at 60+ days, so if you're looking right before the clock strikes midnight maybe you can snag a change without the fee.