• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2020] A little stock market sense

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
a "big" rate cut
Well, given that the consensus was expecting either a 25 or 50 basis point cut, this was a "big" cut. Hopefully this will still keep inflation in check.

I sure hope the Fed sticks to their guns and targets for a nominal rate around 3%. The almost 0% rates that have dominated the last 15 years is just too low. We will see.

Kurt

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, given that the consensus was expecting either a 25 or 50 basis point cut, this was a "big" cut. Hopefully this will still keep inflation in check.

I sure hope the Fed sticks to their guns and targets for a nominal rate around 3%. The almost 0% rates that have dominated the last 15 years is just too low. We will see.

Kurt
I can’t get over the people who were bragging how much money they made on their house sale are now whining about how high housing prices are, even though they have no intention of moving. People with savings took advantage of the high interest rates on bonds and cds and still complained about interest rates, but don’t have to borrow money. Friends who went on 40 day cruises and eat out twice a day and are complaining about the cost of groceries. Does anyone ever think positively?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can’t get over the people who were bragging how much money they made on their house sale are now whining about how high housing prices are, even though they have no intention of moving. People with savings took advantage of the high interest rates on bonds and cds and still complained about interest rates, but don’t have to borrow money. Friends who went on 40 day cruises and eat out twice a day and are complaining about the cost of groceries. Does anyone ever think positively?
Hey, I am happy that the stock market is up again! :)

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
executive functioning, planning, delayed gratification are not strengths for most human beings. But it is a huge advantage when executing an investment plan.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Quite a few similarities between timeshare sales people and politicians
I never thought about it that way but you are correct. I'm still amazed that so many people show up on here claiming they are owned xxxx because the salesperson told them so. Isn't everyone aware that 99% of what they tell you at those presentations is lies?

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
NOTES ON LONG WAVE GOLD/STOCK RATIOS

As an old technical analyst, I thought that some notes on the gold/Dow Jones Industrial charts would be of interest. As is proper, we will start at the beginning.

The fixed gold/dollar ration first broke in 1968, with the collapse of the Gold Pool. Gold on the free market went from the fixed $35/oz to around $40/oz. The DJIA was around 1000. The ratio (what is important to measure) was around 25.

By December 1974, the ration had dropped to around 2.5 ($198/oz for gold and 525 on the DJIA). A relative value increase of gold of around 10X.

The value rapidly changed thereafter, going back to almost 10 by June 1976 (gold at $102/ DJIA @ 1000 again). A relative drop of of gold by 4x.

After that gold would rally strongly until Jan 21, 1980, when it peaked at $875 on the COMEX, with the DJIA @ 850. The ratio was then about even (or 1). A gain by gold of 10x.

One could consider this period (from 1968 to Jan 1980) as a long gold bull market, relative to the DJIA. From a ratio of 25 to a ratio of 1.

Thereafter a long gold bear market began. Gold/DJIA dropped from 1 in January 21 1980 to 39 in July 1999. (July 1999 - Gold @$252 low/DJIA at around 10,000.) A drop of gold by 39x.

At that stage, the next gold bull market, relative to the DJIA started. The ratio went from 39 to 5 in November 2008, after which it has risen somewhat over time, with no spectacular gains. as of today's close the ratio was 42063 for the DJIA and $2647 COMEX close for gold. That ratio is currently just under 16, a gain of gold of about 2.4x.

Looking over the history, the gold/DJIA ratio is neither overvalued or undervalued currently. It is comfortably in the middle. Whether you consider November 2008 the end of a second gold bull market, or only an intermediate high is a longer gold bull market that is not yet over (a la December 1974), is a matter of opinion. Still it is a good indicator of investor sentiment concerning stocks.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Why would anyone expect the price of gold to be correlated with the DJIA? Besides the DJIA is a terrible index anyway. What happens if Microsoft never splits again and the stock is valued at $5,000 a share?

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
What will happen when Intel is removed from the Dow
Replaced by a next generation chip designer
The Dow Jones Index keeps companies in the index for too long

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shrug. You could look at the S&P 500 if you prefer. I keep the Dow in my head since Dec. 1974 - keeps the calculation easier for me. As to being representative and changing over time, there are far more changes in the S&P 500 over time than the Dow. Index changes - every index - are inevitable.

What I am showing are changes in relative value. Buy undervalued things when they are undervalued, and sell things that are overvalued when they are overvalued.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Shrug. You could look at the S&P 500 if you prefer. I keep the Dow in my head since Dec. 1974 - keeps the calculation easier for me. As to being representative and changing over time, there are far more changes in the S&P 500 over time than the Dow. Index changes - every index - are inevitable.

What I am showing are changes in relative value. Buy undervalued things when they are undervalued, and sell things that are overvalued when they are overvalued.
One HUGE thing you are missing with your analysis (either DJIA or S&P 500 or whatever index): you need to compare gold to the total return index, not the price index. Since stocks produce income (dividends) and gold does not, the total return index represents the true investment return when comparing to the price of gold. Just using the price index (the more common index) does not include dividend reinvestment so when comparing to gold it is an apples to oranges comparison.

FYI, the Dow Jones price index ticker is .DJI and the total return index ticker is .DJITR . Take a look at the graphs just for that index and see what a huge difference reinvested dividend make over time.

Kurt

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
One HUGE thing you are missing with your analysis (either DJIA or S&P 500 or whatever index): you need to compare gold to the total return index, not the price index. Since stocks produce income (dividends) and gold does not, the total return index represents the true investment return when comparing to the price of gold. Just using the price index (the more common index) does not include dividend reinvestment so when comparing to gold it is an apples to oranges comparison.

FYI, the Dow Jones price index ticker is .DJI and the total return index ticker is .DJITR . Take a look at the graphs just for that index and see what a huge difference reinvested dividend make over time.

Kurt
Let me know where a 60 year chart of .DJITR is, please.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Neither have I, so I stick to just the price. There are lots of charts for that. What I was showing is the shift of relative value for the two competing investments over time.