• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] How to compare point systems?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Is the Housekeeping fee considered in that cost, as that is also required to be paid if you have run out of HK credits. There are a few unlimited HK credits accounts out there still, but those are hard to come by via resales.

Yes for all memberships with 6000 point and higher. You receive one housekeeping token for every 10,000 points on your membership starting at 6000 points minimum. I only run out of housekeeping tokens when I rent points for multi reservations and usually purchase the points and housekeeping token together at the Time Share Angels website.

Bill

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
is it reasonable to expect someone buying a run of the mill 10k wm membership is able to reserve a 2br whenever he wants? or is this one of those situations where "its possible to do, just not regularly" or you literally have to be logged in right at the opening of the window to have any chance of getting it?
The answer, as with so much in the Timeshare World, is, "It depends."

In this case it depends on where you want to go. WorldMark is no different than other timeshares; the most popular locations book as soon as the booking window opens. It is a function of demand, not necessarily points required. Coastal properties, such as Depoe Bay or Marina Dunes, would require the 6 a.m. call.

There are many other premium WorldMark locations that are wide open for the first half of June, 2018 in a standard 2 bedroom unit:

California
- Big Bear
- Palm Springs (only 7,000 credits)
- Solvang

Oregon
- Seaside

Washington
- Leavenworth
- Mariner Village (coastal property)

... just as a few examples. $725 total cost for a summer week at any one of these locations is a killer deal.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
haha...I figured as much! we'll get it sorted out eventually!

I should just create a chart that just says "depends" in every entry! =)

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
haha...I figured as much! we'll get it sorted out eventually!

I should just create a chart that just says "depends" in every entry! =)
It goes back to the OP; it is difficult to compare the various systems.

It is a lot like car buying when all you know you want is a four-door model and realizing each car company is different, and they offer so many options it is difficult to compare.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI has "major" differences between resale and developer points.

Marriott, Wyndham, and (soon) Hyatt have "both" deeded and non-deeded (pure points) ownership.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I thought DRI's difference between resale and retail were considered rather minor given the literally zero resale value?

or looking at it the other way, there was no major benefit gained by paying full price from the developer? (at least for the major us collections)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
It goes back to the OP; it is difficult to compare the various systems.

It is a lot like car buying when all you know you want is a four-door model and realizing each car company is different, and they offer so many options it is difficult to compare.

added a disclaimer at the bottom urging anyone to come to the forums to do more specific research!

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought DRI's difference between resale and retail were considered rather minor given the literally zero resale value?

or looking at it the other way, there was no major benefit gained by paying full price from the developer? (at least for the major us collections)

Resale points are restricted to intervals in the collection (or trust fund). No access to other collections, no access to affiliates, no vacation club benefits (travel benefits, point discounts, etc.). Further, they can't even be used for II exchanges. Developer points offer all these things.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think what ill wind up doing is making the "major/minor" entries linkable to a thread here on the forums that describes the differences between retail and resale...I think that'd be more handy.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what ill wind up doing is making the "major/minor" entries linkable to a thread here on the forums that describes the differences between retail and resale...I think that'd be more handy.

You may wind up simply making a table where every cell is a link to a post or thread. And that may be the best solution. :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thankfully making changes is super easy!

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to use $1000 for the average maintenance fee for a WorldMark 2 BR, I would suggest $1150 for a Wyndham 2 BR. This reflects the fact that Club Wyndham is generally a little higher mf than WorldMark.

Club Wyndham has 13 month reservation window for home resorts and 10 months for anywhere in the system. (This is generally true. There are, of course, some special exceptions).

WorldMark offers any day of the week check-in/check-out, which is a nice feature. 7 night minimum in Red Season more than 10 months in advance.

Is this getting too detailed?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
as long as the extra perks etc are listed in the regular forum FAQs and such, i dont think we need to include them in the comparison chart.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Brian,
I will give you my opinion of average data for HGVC:

# of resorts - 64
ave (2br) MF: $1000
Deeded
Reservation Windows: 12 mo (home)/9 month
7000 points avg for 2 br platinum season.

Gary

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
updated.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

skimeup

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
  • I'd like to add the much maligned Royal Holiday points system. If the OP is interested at all in staying in cities, RH has hotels or suites in many of the desirable cities in the western world - and a few in the remainder. While much of the terrible stories about RH come from Mexico, Tuggers report that many of the properties are 9's and 10's. I bought in to have reasonable prices in cities and am not much interested in beach resorts.
  • But currently I can stay in at least one property in Manhattan, San Diego area, San Francisco, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Buenos Aires, etc for far less than someone renting a hotel would pay. And I almost always have a kitchen and access to a one or two bedroom suite.
  • Another question to ask re points systems is whether there is an all-inclusive fee or a tax associated with certain properties.
  • Also consider exchange value and whether you really want to pay to join II or RCI for about $100 and then pay an exchange fee of $200 to gain use of a property that is not on your list.
  • Also read up on Diamond Resorts. They also have different levels that provide access to just so many properties. As an owner at Los Abrigados, I was lured to join DRI. And I discovered that I would lose privileges (window to cancel, for example) and that my MFs went WAY up. Thankfully, I was one of the lucky ones who got to return my week.
  • And most importantly, when you decide what system includes the most resorts/hotels you are likely to visit, and provides the best access to those resorts at the best price, remember NEVER to buy from the developer. Towards the end of the year, when people are looking at their MF bills for 2018, you'll see a bunch of timeshares listed on TUG, eBay, and Redweek - many of which offer to pay transfer fees, escrow fees, etc.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
is it reasonable to expect someone buying a run of the mill 10k wm membership is able to reserve a 2br whenever he wants? or is this one of those situations where "its possible to do, just not regularly" or you literally have to be logged in right at the opening of the window to have any chance of getting it?

(note im not arguing, im not familiar with WM at all...id just like to avoid future arguments with the numbers!)

It depends on where you want to go. Hawaii, Seaside Oregon, and a few others during Spring Break or Summer or Cabo for the Winter you had better be longed at Opening 6am Pacific Time 13 months to the day. Other places more flexibility.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Adding info to the DVC column ...
  • Reservation window: 11 months (home); 7 months (any)

• Developer vs Resale Difference: Developer points may be used for Disney Cruise Line and Disney Hotel stays; Retail/Resale result in different Membership Cards; Resale are disqualified from the temporary Member Lounge at Epcot and certain "Member Only" events.

Edited to add direct copy/paste from Disney Vacation Club site: "Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who do not purchase an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras."

• Average points for 2BR in High Season: 395 based on a full week spanning July 4.

• Question of Deed vs RTU: DVC is recorded as a Deed but acts like an RTU with a 50-year lease. The 50-yr lease starts at a single-point in time and does not "reset" when the ownership is sold/transferred. Not all buyers will receive a full 50 years even if buying directly from Disney.
Comment overall:
  • Some point systems have different dues based on your home resort; others are based around all owners paying the same dues structure. Should that be noted? If I were just getting started looking at point systems, I'd want to know that ... ?

• "Average points for 2br" should read "Average points for 2br in HIGH season" ?
Thank you, Brian -- great start on the table.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Worldmark "Deed vs RTU" currently shows, "No." I'm not sure what "No" means? I see WM as a "Membership in Perpetuity" (more "deed-like" than RTU as it lacks an expiration date).

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark "Deed vs RTU" currently shows, "No." I'm not sure what "No" means? I see WM as a "Membership in Perpetuity" (more "deed-like" than RTU as it lacks an expiration date).
It is really both -- a Right to Use in Perpetuity. No member name appears on any WorldMark deed. It is definitely not deeded ownership.

This is how Club Membership is defined in the Governing Documents:

3.3 Membership. A Membership in the Club is a vacation license which constitutes only (a) a right to use and occupy a Unit during the Member's Vacation Credit Use or Bonus Time, (b) a nonexclusive license to use, enjoy and occupy the Property and recreational facilities appurtenant thereto during Member's Vacation Credit Use or Bonus Time, (c) voting rights in the Club as described in the Bylaws, and (d) participation in the corporate ownership of the real estate and other assets of the Club.

However, a Membership does not include any title or direct interest in the Property by any individual member of the Club, or any recourse against the Property or any other property owned or operated by the Club.

Right To Use (RTU) does carry connotations of an end date to the membership, so I do not know what should go in the "Deed or RTU" row.

For usage purposes, "Deeded" versus "RTU in Perpetuity" does not matter much. "Deeded" generally just means it is more complicated and lengthier to transfer ownership, because a county recorded deed is involved.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Wyndham over 100 direct resorts, another 30 more is you add associates/affilaites, but you DON'T count all the hotel options that you can book online, plus Club Pass options (which have some duplicate as there are shared Resorts with BOTH Wyndham and Worldmark have separate inventory) has another 75 resorts. So Wyndham is closer to 200.

So I think the numbers should be higher. For Wyndham and I assume there is a WM option of Club Pass that gives them access to some of the Wyndham they don't have direct access to.

Don't know what others used to calculate cost of Wyndham 2 BR but I would guess that average 2 BR in Prime season is 190-200K range. Older resorts were all standard 154K but none of the newer resorts from the last 10 years are that point value.