• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Southcape Resort

JackB62

Reaction score
Special Assessments and other issues

I'm glad to see the discussion continues. Eric, please be our lawyer!

Cliff, as an owner for over 25 years, I must relate a few things to all who are participating. In all this time the owners have never had a Special Assessment issued to them. MFs were perhaps too reasonable, but still roofs were repaired, furniture replaced and public areas kept up.

Your repair project re-replaced several roofs that had been replaced within the last ten years. You used the SA for some much-needed work, but also to "beautify" the resort to help meet your sales goals for Festiva.

I don't think you should be a part of both the management and your other sales firm.

Also, the rental income estimate is exaggerated for the coming year. And the inventory you are holding will Never Generate Maintenance Fees for the Resort Again! A responsible Declarant would be trying to sell the intervals, not only rent them.

JackB62

Reaction score
Another Reason to Sell Them

If everything was running according to plan, the Declarant would be trying to sell his inventory so that he wouldn't have to pay his share of Maintenance Fees anymore.

Sou13

Reaction score
More old letters found

I don't want to detract from the discussion but the day after I found the "Southcape Rumor Mill" and trustees' report from 1990 I also found a letter from International Vacation Sales, Inc. It was dated April 17, 1992, and signed by Clifford Hagberg, President.

Here's what he had to say:

International Vacation Sales, Inc. is proud to announce the establishment of an inhouse resale program for Southcape owners.

As the former developer and project director for The Ocean Club on Smuggler's Beach, I became aware of the need for a responsible and effective resale program to serve the changing lifestyles of resort owners. As a marketing consultant to time share projects in the United States and Europe, it became evident to me that there was no adequate resale company providing this service.

International Vacation Sales, Inc. (IVS) was created to fill this void by offering you the on-site services of highly trained professionals; available sevendays a week to assist you in getting the most from your time share purchase.

He goes on to give three ways in which IVS is different from other resale companies. I won't reproduce the rest of the letter because I want to focus our attention on The Ocean Club on Smuggler's Beach. I did an online search for the homepage and it couldn't be found. The best I could find was http://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=OCS&parentResortCode=OCS

My question is, who currently owns the "developer rights" to The Ocean Club today? Is it sold out and run by an HOA?

e.bram

Reaction score
Sell, i don't think NEVM can give away his TSes(look at ebay). I think Oceancliff(RI) dumped the developer and the HOA took over the unsold units.(I din't know the details, anybody?)
The only big money is selling the units as wholly owned condos.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget that NEVS is in the process of correcting the problems and neglect of the past twenty years. For the first time, the resort has a balanced budget, .........for the first time in twenty years there are actual trustee meetings taking place, for the first time in twenty years the resort has a reserve account. There is more but I hope you get the idea that Southcape resort has never been in better shape and it's all because of NEVS.

Eric is so talented discussing legalities. I have been reading in awe. Keep it up Eric.

I am not legally trained but I do have some common sense. Since MF's have remained really low at Southscape for over 20 years while previous mgt at the resort somehow paid the expenses(housekeeping,electricity,insurance, etc), and since against all odds the previous mgt company kept Southscape operating for over 20 years without ever having a balanced budget, this sounds like a mgt company any resort would love to employ. Heck I would love to have them manage at any of my resorts. They sound like some frugal managers. I would bet that they wouldn't have replaced a 10 year old roof with a new roof just because they had to roof some older roofs on other buildings.

The fact that they could keep the resort operating for over 20 years on MF's that totalled less than expenses and that they somehow maintained the buildings with no reserves shows that they are a heck of a lot better resort management team than NEVS. Those were great resort managers. Anyone can keep raising MF's to pay expenses and anyone can keep assessing to improve and renovate the resort. It takes a good mgt company to keep a resort in good shape while keeping MF's low and having few if any assessments. Cliff and Festiva could take some lessons on how to save owners money from other management companies like SPM, VRI, and many others. Of course the other mgt companies have to keep costs low and amenities in good shape if they want to remain the mgt company. These mgt companies aren't tied to the developer or sales and can be fired by owners and the board if they don't provide a great resort experience for the least possible cost. No owner control of the resort and the board is always bad for the owners.

Next time the Trustees have one of those wonderful meetings perhaps they could discuss cost cutting measures that would benefit owners rather than the assess, spend, and renovate budgets currently being utilized to benefit NEVS. After all the owners have to pay all the assessments and all the increased MF's while NEVS pays nothing. Owners have no trust in the Trustees because they have no say in what they get billed for or how much they get billed courtesy of the trustees and their meetings.

At Southscape the term trustees actually means business partners (NEVS, Outfield, and Festiva). At Southscape the definition of an owner is " someone who pays 100% of the capital outlay to increase the value of NEVS property while never getting to share in any of the NEVS profits".

The MF's are higher than ever at Southscape. The first ever assessment at Southscape has been levied. As you said so well Cliff, it is all because of NEVS.

Last edited:

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cliff,

You are not touching any nerves on my end. You are just proving that you do not want to answer the question and to prove that you are exempt from m/f.

I have looked it up, as have some of your owners. I can only find one questionable provision that supports your position. That you are exempt from capital assessments is clearly stated. Not so on expenses.

You do not seem to be able to substantiate your position, nor do you seem to want to put the issue to rest. One has to wonder why.

As I said before, your attitude on this issue can only lead in one direction - that the owners seek outside counsel. If in your role as Trustee you refuse to answer the question, or provide access to the legal opinions that support your answer, the owners really only have one course of action. And do you really want owners talking to an attorney at this point, when you can easily put this issue to rest if it so clear.

BTW - you should check to make sure your D&O policy is up to date - not that it will protect you from willful acts. You really should go back and read the Bluebeards case.

And to the owners, add the bank as a cc: to the letter requesting a legal opinion on the m/f. Lenders tend to get nervous in situations like this.
Too bad we can not come up with a count of UNhappy owners and HAPPY HAPPY owners. NO points for us. Cliff ,I am still waiting for an answer for an email several weeks ago that was sent to you and Southcape sent me an answer , We will email you Monday. However, the email did not say what year. UNHAPPY OWNER> BUY ME OUT. :wall:

Sou13

Reaction score
Are we on the same page?

Sell, i don't think NEVM can give away his TSes(look at ebay). I think Oceancliff(RI) dumped the developer and the HOA took over the unsold units.(I din't know the details, anybody?)
The only big money is selling the units as wholly owned condos.
Are we talking to each other, e.bram? My question is about The Ocean Club at Smuggler's Beach, not Oceancliff in RI.

I see that Developer Hagberg is online so how about filling us in on when, how, and why you got out of that resort?

Sou13

Reaction score
Festiva on ABC News

Aired recently in NC:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/video?id=6790741

According to the report there had been 150 complaints to the NC AG to date, and the number of states in which complaints are being made is growing.

Festiva claims that these complaints are the result of third party marketing which Festiva claims it no longer uses? But FestivaRep informed us that Outfield Marketing is "contracted" to sell Festiva conversions! That's not "outsourcing"?

Last edited:

Fig

Reaction score
Aired recently in NC:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/video?id=6790741

According to the report there had been 150 complaints to the NC AG to date, and the number of states in which complaints are being made is growing.

Festiva claims that these complaints are the result of third party marketing which Festiva claims it no longer uses? But FestivaRep informed us that Outfield Marketing is "contracted" to sell Festiva conversions! That's not "outsourcing"?

This may touch upon why Cliff refuses to comment on the relationship among NEVS, Festiva and Outfield Marketing.

Outfield Marketing is clearly selling Festiva. What is unclear is the arrangement Cliff has with Outfield and Festiva. He has appointed their sales people and CEO to be trustees and says they care about Southcape. What do the Outfield Marketing "trustees" do other than try to charge Southcape owners $3,000 to give up deeds to convert to a point system for a company that has been cited by one Attorney General and is under investigation with another? Everything I have read about Festiva and Outfield is pretty bad.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I had thought from earlier posts that an owners meeting was upcoming. Just curious, but when is the owners meeting?

Sou13

Reaction score
Tell that to John

At Southcape, units 1 - 31 are affiliated with II and units 32 - 55 are affiliated with RCI. I only want all owners to have a choice of either exchange company. Do you not think that's a good idea?
Hi once again: I know for certain that it trades with RCI. I just went up and checked my confirmation for this year and I'm in unit 09...previous weeks have been in units 01 and 04. Went on their website and it states they have 2 groups of accomadations...#1-31 and #32-55. By the description only 1-31 has any lofts, which I've stayed in and ours has the fireplace not the jacuzzi as well as a patio not a deck. The location of the units are beside and opposite the outdoor pool. Just who is advising you that they don't trade with RCI?...someone with RCI?...someone with the resort? I doubt it. Don't know what more I can tell you. I believe that 1-31 are float weeks and 32-55 are set weeks. If that's the case, call the resort (I gave you the website address earlier) and get your information direct from the resort itself. I'm not trying to put one over on you but I don't have any idea why whoever advised you told you that. Ask if float weeks are different units than a set week and if they trade with RCI or not. Tell them you are interested in a resale float week and just want some info. Hope this helps...John

Sou13

Reaction score
Southcape 2003

SOUTHCAPE RESORT AND CLUB
950 FALMOUTH ROAD
MASHPEE, MA 02649

2003 marked the 20th anniversary of the Southcape Resort and Club and it was a good year. We hope that 2004 is better than the weather this year and that more and more of our members use the resort. The annual meeting will be held on May 8, 2004 at NOON.

Looking back, the cost to operate the resort increases every year. The cost of utilities, taxes, insurance and wages are a necessary evil and completely out of our control. As the units get older, more maintenance is required. We found it necessary to raise the maintenance fee by a few dollars to $490.00. Looking forward, we received the Hospitality Award from RCI and we are in the running to be designated as a Resort of International Distinction. We will probably increase our rental fees this year like we have done the past four years. The demand has been increasing every year along with modest
increases in our rates.

One thing that would help our rates would be if we could offer the renters a Friday and Saturday in the same unit. At the annual meeting, there will be a discussion of the various ways to accomplish this. If you cannot attend the meeting, please write your constructive suggestions to the resort.

I would like to mention a potential problem concerning beach passes. The town has been holding meetings about the abuse of beach passes and they will more than likely raise the fees and tighten the controls. We are trying to keep the same procedures as in past years where we could have the passes at the resort and control them instead of making every guest go to a municipal location to obtain a beach pass.

We are soliciting your comments on how to assign the float weeks on a more equitable basis. Some people have been shut out of the assignment of weeks because they do not understand when and how to make a reservation. We are gathering information from other resorts on how they assign the weeks. Hopefully, at the annual meeting we will have a consensus of opinion to offer to the entire membership. If you want a copy of the minutes of the annual meeting, please send a self -addressed, stamped envelope to the resort.

The collection of unpaid maintenance fees decreased in 2003, but we hope they will increase next year and eliminate the need to raise the maintenance fees like other resorts have had to do. From time to time we accept reconveyances from delinquent members and offer them to our members. If you or any of your friends are interested in being an owner of one of these opportunities, please call Carol Scully at 508-477-4700, Ext. 204.

Sou13

Reaction score
October 2004

Southcape Resort News
October 2004

Southcape Rentals Still Going Strong

By: Christine Woods

The summer of 2004 was a rough one for many businesses on the Cape. Many retail stores, hotels, and restaurants showed losses of nearly 20%. In contrast to this, Southcape's summer demand only increased.

Because rentals were up in July by $12,000 and August over $1,000 over the previous year, we were able to make significant improvements. Renovation took place on units 1-5 and several roofs between units 1 and 31 were replaced. The outdoor pool was retiled and repaired and the entire property was pruned.

We will continue this effort in the upcoming year so we can make the Southcape experience as enjoyable as possible for our owners.

There are still discounted weeks available for sale! ! ! !
This is a great way to introduce someone to timeshare !

If interested, please contact our sales manager, Carol Scully at (508)-477-4700 ext. 204

Important Announcements for the Upcoming Year

Robert P. Woods
Trustee

<> Maintenance Fees

Although real estate taxes were up in 2004, there will be NO increase to maintenance fees this year.

<> Annual Meeting

Many owners attending last year's meeting requested that the date of the meeting be changed. Therefore this year's meeting will take place on May 14th, 2005, the Saturday AFTER Mother's Day.

<> Renovations

At last year's meeting, I promised the attendees we would review the condition of units 32-55 and plan for renovations. I apologize for the delay, but it was impossible to determine how much in funds to allocate. We determined that we would totally renovate the 5-unit block of condos 38-42 in 2005. Since most years we do 6 or 7 units, Southcape can use the additional monies saved for the units that need the most work, i.e. the ones needing carpets and sofas. We anticipate that units 43-49 will be totally renovated in 2006.

<> The Town

The sidewalk at Route 28 is complete and offers our owners the benefit of walking to the new grocery store and the Mashpee Commons (which last summer added an Ann Taylor and a Pottery Barn).

<> Maintenance Staff

We are pleased to announce the addition of two new hardworking and capable individuals to Southcape's staff: Evarist Almeida and Rick Hendricks.

JackB62

Reaction score
Wasting our money

Sou 13,

Nice job digging up the past info on maintenance plans, etc.

Where's Cliff? No reaction to re-roofing on our dime?

Jack

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I suspect Cliff's quest for putting to rest untruths became like a battle with the proverbial Hydra. Every question answered led to more questions, and the more he spoke the worse it got.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sou, Cliff said repeatedly that no upkeep or renovations had been done until he arrived. I see that they replaced several roofs, renovated several units, retiled the pool and pruned the whole property in 2004. Then they talk about which 5 units will be renovated in 2005 and state that they typically renovate 6 or 7 units every year. In 2004 they had already made plans to renovate 7 more units in 2006.

It doesn't sound like the Southscape Cliff described where no upgrades had been done in 20 years, and none were going to be done until he and NEVS showed up. Isn't TUG a wonderful place where total strangers can share information that informs people what the truth is as opposed to spin. In the past Sou couldn't have shared that information with anyone he didn't know. Now anyone who Googles Southscape can read and become enlightened.

Good job Sou. :cheer:

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sou, Cliff said repeatedly that no upkeep or renovations had been done until he arrived. I see that they replaced several roofs, renovated several units, retiled the pool and pruned the whole property in 2004. Then they talk about which 5 units will be renovated in 2005 and state that they typically renovate 6 or 7 units every year. In 2004 they had already made plans to renovate 7 more units in 2006.

It doesn't sound like the Southscape Cliff described where no upgrades had been done in 20 years, and none were going to be done until he and NEVS showed up. Isn't TUG a wonderful place where total strangers can share information that informs people what the truth is as opposed to spin. In the past Sou couldn't have shared that information with anyone he didn't know. Now anyone who Googles Southscape can read and become enlightened.

Good job Sou. :cheer:

So why did they need the 400.00. We should try to have them give it back. Sounds like MAY 16 th is going to be an interesting meeting.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For it to be an interesting meeting, I think the owners need to have a plan. Hopefully someone is organizing a plan.

Unfortunately I am not an owner. I know Cliff will miss me.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric the owners should get you to organize a plan and chip in for a plane ticket for you to attend. Cliff would be so surprised.:D

Sou13

Reaction score
Southcape 1990

January, 1990
Dear Southcape Member:

It's official. Fred Sateriale and Rick DePamphlis have retired and Bob Woods and i are the new Resort Owners/Managers. Bob is the Owner/President of C & E Credit and I am the owner of the Park Lane in Atlantic City Bob Woods will provide computer services to the resort and will be paid for those services. We will not be paid for management services that we provide to the resort.

The first thing that we did was to meet with the employees and find out what they were supposed to do. Then we reorganized the resort and eliminated everything that was unnecesary.

We met with your elected officials and agreed that the Community Association, with all members having an equal voice, would operate the resort for the benefit of all.

The biggest problem with the resort, after the fact that the expenses were out of control, is that there is "nothing to do." We are going to add a full schedule of activities including owners parties, group and individual tennis lessons, weekly tennis matches (with prizes from beginners to experts), coffee klutches, ice cream and rum swizzle parties, card and bingo games that will be enough to fill any vacation, just to name a few.

In order to keep your maintenance fees as low as possible and help you enjoy the resort more than just one week a year, we are going to open the season on March 9th with a Murder Mystery Weekend! Please see the enclosed flyer for all of the details. All of the money generated from this weekend will be used to reduce the maintenance fees. The refreshments will be catered by the owner of The Flume Restauraunt. All of you who have visitied his restaurant know it is one of the finest on the Cape.

For the Summer we will build an area next to the outdoor pool for your entertainment.

Before we open the sales to the general public, we are going to give you one last opportunity to add another week to your vacation plan at the lowest prices ever offered.

Lois has the new reduced price list and can be reached by calling the main number 508-477-4700. While you are talking with her ask her about our Royal VIP program that can be a lot of fun for you while you make money just for helping us promote SOUTHCAPE.

Setting the dues for 1990 was a difficult task. We do not know the resort as well as you do, but we are aware of some of the problems that we face. We like to consider them "OPPORTUNITIES" rather than problems. Although we have cut expenses everywhere, we have to set the annual maintenance fee at $350.00 per interval. Every owner at SOUTHCAPE will pay the same fee and all of the money that we receive for the use of the inventory will also be given to the maintenance fund. We hope to have a surplus by the end of the year and be able to reduce the annual fee, however we are still at the mercy of the tax essessor and will be going back to court unless she changes her discriminatory attitude.

Please complete the enclosed postcard and mail it back to us with your maintenance fee as soon as possible. We need the funds to upgrade and maintain the property. We want to receive the Five Star Award again and we need your help.

Lastly, we would like you to become part of the PARK LANE family. Either Bob or I will be at the resort as much as possible and would enjoy meeting you. In the meantime, please look over a special offer we have for you to take a mini-vacation in Atlantic City, practically for free. You will get more back than the cost to stay with us and have the chance to win at tables and BEAT the one arm bandits.

(signed) "Southcape Staff"

Sometime in June or July of 1990 I received an unpostmarked 15 cent postcard containing

NOTICE OF ANNUAL MEETING

The annual meeting of the interval owners of Southcpe Reosrt and Club, Mashpee, Massachusetts, will be held on July 28, 1990, from Noon to 2 p.m. at the resort. Only those members in good standing may attend. You may pay your maintenance fee at the resort before the meeting.

The following agenda will be strictly adhered to:

Noon: Call to Order
12:05 Introduction of New Trustees
12:20 Discussion of 1990 Budget
12:30 Status of Tax Appeal Case
12:45 Beach Sticker Procedure
01:00 Water System Conversion
01:15 Telephone System
01:30 Predictions for the Future
01:45 Discussion and Suggestions for Improvements from the Members

Following the annual meeting I received the following. It was mailed for 25 cents and contained 3 8 1/2 sheets stapled together and mailed without an envelope. It included detailed financial information taken from the accounting records received from the previous trustees on November 17, 1989. I am unable to copy and paste those reports into this discussion (this is available by email to anyone who requests it)* but here is the report:

SOUTHCAPE RUMOR MILL
AUGUST, 1990

The first annual meeting of the Southcape Community Association, Inc., that included Southcape Condominium Trust I and Southcape Condominium Trust II was held at Southcape on Saturday, July 28, 1990. Over 150 members attended the meeting. The joint meeting was made possible because on November 17, 1989, Rich DePhamphilis, Ed Conforti and Fred Sateriale resigned as trustees of Southcape Condominium Trust II and Southcape Community Association, and Bob Woods and Vince Barth became the new trustees. Shortly thereafter, Joe Bottari and Bill Graham, trustees of Southcape Condominium Trust I and the two new trustees delegated the management of Southcape to the Community Association.

We have collected $ 541,346.79 in maintenance fees from the members and paid out $ 2,112.15 to run the resort for you. We will try to collect the maintenance fees from the delinquent members. If they do not pay, we will put a lien on their property and foreclose on the weeks that we can resell. In the meantime, a delinquent member will not be permitted to use the Southcape resort or exchange for another resort. Any money remaining at the end of the year will be put into a reserve and used to refurbish the units.

The tax situation is a mess. The case was settled, but is not binding on 1990 and the future. The units were assessed for more than they were in 1986 to 1989, and we have appealed that assessment. The money that was returned for the past years was spent to pay the bills and keep the resort open. There is no way we can refund any money to you from the tax refund. We are sorry. This was before our time. We are trying to reduce the assessed value and the taxes for 1990 and the future. Your share of the real estate taxes is approximately $66.00 of the maintenance fee per week of ownership.

On the positive side, we are now connected to the Mashpee Water System. NO MORE BROWN WATER. The cost to connect our water system to the town water was $28,000 rather than the $155,000 projected cost due to the efforts of Bob Woods and Vince Barth. We were able to pay for this connection out of the maintenance fees and did not have to assess you for additional money. The cost of the water in the future will be based on consumption. We purchased beach badges for you to use during your vacation. This saves you the time and money getting your own badge. Cable TV will soon be available to all units. We signed a two year contract. We are studying the phone system to make permanent improvements.

A constructive suggestion from one of the members was for a newsletter. Please consider this your first newsletter and that a11 future issues will get better.

Another member took us to task over the decision to combine the duties of the three trusts and the management company into one. We did this to improve the resort, reduce the operating costs and lower the maintenance fees. We reduced expenses by $180,000 in six months, saved $129,000 in accounting fees and realized a one-time savings of $127,000 on the water system conversion. One member complained the owner of the unsold weeks does not pay a maintenance fee. The Master Condominium Documents do not require the owner of the inventory to pay maintenance fees.

The same member who complained about combining the trusts that already saved you over $436,000 complained about the lack of a certified audit. Woods & Barth discharged the previous CPA firm, outside bookkeeping service, computer programmer and two internal bookkeepers when they took over. All of the accounting is being performed by Bob Woods and your new manager, Pam Summersall, as part of her duties, and the tax returns are prepared by the corporate accountant of Barth Management Corporation. Last year, you paid $135.000 for these services and since the reorganization, the cost to date has been $2,700 for the bookkeeping and filing of all tax returns. The disgruntled member made a motion for an audit. No one voted for an audit--not even the member who made the motion. Included with this newsletter is a copy of the tax information given to the IRS and State. Any member may review the receipts and disbursements upon request in the resort office. We have nothing to hide. The next meeting will be held at twelve noon on the last Saturday in July, 1991, at your resort. A public address system will be used and all matters to be discussed must be submitted in writing to the resort before May 31, 1991. If you wish to serve as a trustee, please submit a letter summarizing your qualifications and reasons why you should be elected.

One of the biggest improvements accomplished at Southcape has been the computer system. The computers at the collection agency and the resort are now able to transfer information about your about your account as simple as dialing a phone. The resort knows in advance of the guests arriving who has paid the maintenance fee. Naturally, no one is admitted if the maintenance fee is unpaid. In the past it could always be argued that the check was in the mail, or that the information was not up to date.
Not now...within minutes that your check is received at the collection agency, the resort records are updated and can be accessed at any time.

Change of Procedure. When the two new trustees took over, we asked the attorneys to give us a binding opinion in writing about the rental policy that was in effect at the resort. It was our belief that many of the things going on at the resort violated state and federal laws. We were specifically interested in the real estate laws.

Our suspicions were correct. The resort is not authorized to rent units for the individual owners. The resort does not have a Broker's License and the employees are not licensed real estate salespersons. They are permitted to take the information and tell the customer to call the owner of the week, or to have the owner call the potential renter. There is no fee for this service and it will be just as satisfactory.

Condo I Trustees are:
Joseph Bottari 24 Azalea Drive, Milton, MA 02186 617-696-5887
Bill Graham 19 Pine Tree Lane, Andover, MA 01818 617-653-9614
Stephen Kyriacou 77 Denslowe Drive, San Francisco, CA 94132 Unknown

Condo II Trustees are:

Vince Barth P.O. Box 345, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 717-421-8059
Bob Woods P.O. Box 299, Emerson, NJ 07630 201-265-7778

Your Resort Manager is:
Pam Summersall Route 28, Mashpee, MA 02649 508-477-4700

Your Reservation Manager is:
Diane Gonzalski 950 Falmouth Road, Mashpee, MA 02649 508-477-4700

You make your payments for maintenance fees to:
C&E Credit Consultants P.O. Box 299, Emerson, NJ 07630

Southcape Community Association Trustees are:
Bob Woods, Bill Graham, Joseph Bottari and Vince Barth
All Cape Resort Management, Inc., is inactive.

Would you like to own a unit at Southcape for your exclusive use?

The trustees have six units that can be used for year-round residential and/or second home vacation use. Instead of sharing the unit with 50 other members, it would be yours to use or rent.

There would be a small monthly fee that would relieve you of the chore of maintaining the exterior of your property and give you unlimited use of the recreational facilities.

If you always wanted to live on the Cape, now is your chance.
The units will be offered to our present interval owners starting at the reduced price of $149,000, without commissions to pay. They will be offered furnished and unfurnished, and we would be willing to refurbish any of the units before settlement. If interested, call-1-800-233-3038.

RUMOR MILL
SOUTHCAPE RESORT
PO BOX 1198
MASHPEE MA 02649

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Eric the owners should get you to organize a plan and chip in for a plane ticket for you to attend. Cliff would be so surprised.:D

That would be interesting. Maybe Cliff's offer of a free night still is open, so I would have somewhere to stay. :)

From hearing the brief recap of the SandPointe meeting - where they ejected a Festiva owner that had converted their week - I do think the owners do need to put Cliff on notice that the issue of the non-payment of m/f on developer inventory needs to be addressed in the meeting. If it is so clear, it should be easy to do so, but I can see Cliff saying that the association lawyer is not available, so no legal questions can be addressed. And that is a legal question. I doubt that he will be so arrogant to the owners - "go look it up".

I also can see him writing off any concerns to the instigation of non-owners on TUG, and that the resort has been doing this for 30 years.

I would follow my previous recommendation to send a letter to the Trustees requesting that the previously mentioned legal opinions be made available during the meeting for review. I would attach to that the letter a list of owners on whose behalf the request is being made, with their name, address, unit, and week number. I would also add a request that a discussion of the matter be added to the agenda for the upcoming meeting.

If Cliff fails to address the concerns adequately, then that same group of owners should file a complaint with the Mass AG office. If that office received 20-30 complaints, they would certainly investigate. The resort is still in developer sales.

I would also request a copy of the public offering statement for the development. This is a document the developer has to provide with any sales prospect. I doubt that document meets the disclosure requirements of the Mass Timeshare Act, particularly in light of disclosures that Cliff has made here. If it does not contain the required material disclosures, any new sale of a timeshare unit could be rescinded outside the normal recession period.

Last edited:

Sou13

Reaction score
Southcape 1985 Annual Meeting Minutes

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL MEETING
JULY 3l, 1985​

The Annual Meeting of Southcape Resort & Club Condominium I was held at the Resort on Wednesday, July 31, 1985. The meeting was called to order at 10:33 a.m. by Edward Conforti, Trustee and Resort Manager.

Mr. Conforti introduced the Board of Trustees, Joseph Bottari, Mel Melle, and Donald Buese as well as Attorney Michael Dunning and Attorney Elizabeth Mcll!'1chols.

Attorney McNichols determined that there was present, in person or by proxy, 38.68% of the beneficial interest of the Trust, representing a quorum, and the meeting proceeded.

The Notice of the Annual Meeting was read by Attorney McNichols.

Mr. Conforti discussed at some length the billing procedure for maintenance fees and taxes. The annual bills for maintenance fees and real estate taxes will be mailed no later than January 15th of each year, and will be due by March Ist. If not paid, the delinquent assessments will bear interest of 18% per annum.

Mr. Conforti read the financial report and a lengthy discussion ensued regarding Condominium assessments that had gone unpaid, some as far back as 1983. Balances in the accounts as of 7/31/85 were as follows:

Checking/Savings $27,302.22
Reserves/Replacements 47,450.17
TOTAL $74,752.39​

There were unpaid delinquencies of $70,668.25, of which $19,000 was accumulated from 1984.

Attorney Michael Dunning spoke on delinquent maintenance fees –unpaid assessments by Unit Owners. He said that, in the future, if fees were not paid by March Ist, that they would allow for a grace period until April Ist, or April 15th, and at that time, a I!Notice of Lien" would be recorded at the Barnstable
County Registry of Deeds setting forth the amount of lien plus costs and attorney's fees. He said that a section of the Master Deed concerning the non-payment of maintenance fees would be sent to the Unit Owners along with a copy of the Minutes of the Annual Meeting. He further stated that a Unit Owner would not be alloweQ to occupy their Unit if the assessment were not paid, and that the Trust would rent the Unit to cover the cost of the Maintenance fee.

NEW BUSINESS: Mr. Conforti discussed the practice of Unit owners using the Community Center, pool, tennis courts, etc. , when they are not occupying the Units. Unit owners are life-time members of the Southcape Resort Community Center. While staying at the Resort the use of the facility is complimentary except for a $4.00 per hour Indoor/Outdoor fee when the court lights are operating.
Owners may use the facility when not staying at the Resort, at which time they would pay $2.50 to swim and the same fees for court usage as any member would pay. Remember outside members pay an annual fee of either $150 or $200 for single or family membership. (subject to increase)

Mr. Conforti announced that Southcape Resort was the recipient of the prestigious 5 Star Achievement Award from Interval International. This honor was bestowed on the Resort at the National Timeshare Convention held in Nashville, Tennessee on May 8, 1985. The achievement award was based on a survey of all the exchanges' to Southcape Resort. At the present time there are only seven 5 Star resorts in the Northeast. The 5 Star winners are further distinguished by a special logo accompanying their photographs in the 1985-86 Interval International directory. .

Mr. Conforti introduced all of the employees of the Resort, indicating their consistent performance under adverse conditions was most significant in acquiring this national recognition.

Maintenance fees were discussed. Mr. Conforti said that in 1985 98% of the Units were sold. The Resort was experiencing maximum usage. He stated that the cost of utilities had risen sharply, especially in the winter months, and he hoped that the Owners would do all they could to conserve energy. He also stated that salaries at the Resort had been frozen by the Trustees, and that they had cut back on supplies, etc., to keep costs down and the budget (which is fixed) under control.

Mr. Conforti spoke briefly about some correspondences he had received concerning the issue of bonus days, cable television, check-out procedures. and communications between Management, Trustees, and Owners.

He recommended that more Unit Owners apply for bonus days in the early part of the year, since all of the other weeks were fully reserved. As to cable television. which is not available to Mashpee, Mr. Conforti talked bf a satellite dish. but indicated that this expense was not budgeted for 1985.

Current check-out procedures were discussed. Mr. Conforti stated that the current practice of checking Unit Owners out was instituted to protect the interests of the Unit Owners as bath towels and other items had been missing and damage had been done to property in the Units. Units will be checked prior
to the Unit Owner leaving. and at that time the key will be placed in the inspector's hand and the interval owner will vacate the Unit.

A number of Unit Owners requested that they receive financial statements and a list of major expenditures, but it was determined that this was too expensive for Homeowners to mail out. The Board. of Trustees are responsible for all major decisions involving expenditures of funds. Anyone desiring to run for office please forward a written resume to the management office.

It was brought up on several occasions that the Resort was in desperate need of a computer. A mailing had been sent out earlier to get the Unit Owners' opinions as to whether or not a computer could be helpful, and the majority ruled in favor of it. The Board of Trustees will continue the discussion for
the acquisition of a computer during their meeting immediately following the AI1J'tUal Meeting .

Comments from Don Buese: Mr. Buese thanked Mr. Conforti for a job well done and continued success for the Resort.

Questions from Unit Owners: Responses from Mr. Conforti or Attorney Dunning.

The major concern for Unit Owners seemed to be their inability to reserve bonus time. The second major concern was the increase in maintenance charges, which was discussed at great length. In regard to bonus days, Mr. Conforti produced an occupancy status report which noted that the majority of bonus days usage occurred during the months of January through March. Although bonus days
are available during the full float period, they are less likely to be available during the high demand periods. Remember the Resort is 98% sold with over 1,000 float owners eligible to reserve up to a maximum of 18 months in advance. It is imperative that each Owner make his reservation as soon as eligible. Even though future plans may be uncertain Owners can always cancel or trade for a
different period of time at another resort.

Mr. Conforti then addressed the concern over increasing maintenance fees. An article from the Cape Cod Times and another article from the Boston Globe highlighted the increase in labor costs. “Everybody in the tourist industry is being hit" said Maureen A. Wells, economic development analyst for the Cape
Cod Planning and Economic Commission. "The once extreme case -like $11 an hour for a chambermaid -is getting to be normal." Waiters, chambermaids, and snackbar attendants are all in demand, she said. The Town of Mashpee has three time share resorts all competing for service help; our maids, who started at $5.50 per hour, now receive $7.50 per hour. Utilities have increased as has the cost of service contracts, beach permits, and firewood (which is shipped to the Cape). The legal process continues to collect over $70,000 cumulative delinquencies on maintenance fees and real estate taxes.

Mr. Conforti introduced a survey of the seven "Double 5 Star" resorts in the Northeast. A comparison between Trapp Family Lodge and Southcape showed an identical $230 maintenance fee even though Trapp Family Lodge had 1,100 sq. foot units and fewer indoor amenities. Ponds at Fox Hollow's maintenance fees range from $170 to $359 based on the size of unit and whether it was prime time
or off-season time. Deerhurst Inn, Canada, (40 year right to use) ranges from $220 to $290 based on size of unit. Deer "Run Village, Catskills NY, ranges from $250 to $320 based on size of unit. Harborside Inn, Martha's Vineyard, has an annual fee of $189 but their units are 300 sq. feet and they are only
open 30 weeks a year. Shawnee Village, Delaware, has annual fees ranging from $180 to $200 but they have 325 units. As Southcape Resort expands a portion of all management salaries will be disbursed over the new units thus stabilizing, if not actually decreasing, fees in the future.

Question: What are the plans for future development at Southcape Resort?

Answer: At this time negotiations for the purchase of the undeveloped land and the building of additional units continues.

Question: Will future development mean future expansion of amenities at Southcape?

Answer: I have no idea at this time of any future expansion, but feel that future development would necessitate expansion of the esisting Community Center.

Question: What about insurance coverage?

Answer: The property has liability coverage for $1,000,000. (Note: Each Owner can extend their Homeowners policy to list Southcape Resort as a secondary residency thus protecting them personally from any liability if a guest were injured inside the unit).

Question: Who approves the budget?

Answer: As part of the management contract and in accordance with the By-laws of the Master Deed, the Board of Trustees estimates the net costs and expenses to be incurred during each fiscal year. Each unit owner shall be subject to regular annual assessment no later than January 15. The Board consists of five members: the Resort manager, two elected Homeowners, and two appointees from
the Hallwood Group. (See Addendum).

Question: Do you foresee the maintenance fees increasing, and if so, approximately what will next year’s maintenance fee be?

Answer: Mr. Conforti stated that in January he requested a $250 maintenance fee which was vetoed by the Board of Trustees. With the increase in usage and labor cost, $250 will be a likely increase for 1986.

Question: Bonus days and check-out prcedures?

Answer: Mr. Conforti produced an occupancy status report showing the 521 of 529 bonus days for 1985 were taken between January and March 31st. As for check-out procedures each owner is responsible for calling 477-4702 when prepared to check-out, at which time a supervisor will be sent down to accept the keys and inspect the unit.

Question: The $35 split week fee should not be charged to owners who made their reservations in 1984 for 1985.

Answer: The January maintenance billing included a cover letter stating the $35.00 split week fee would be charged. The management team is empowered to make decisions in the best interest of all Owners.

Mr. Conforti concluded by stating that Management and Homeowners were working together in efforts to run an efficient business. This is not a hotel but rather a second home for all Owners. We are a non-profit organization that depends on a conscious effort by all to help implement the same energy and cost saving methods that apply at home.

Meeting adjourned at 12:15 P.M.

Addendum: Article IV, Section 3, of the By-laws of the Master Deed.

Section 3. Timing of Assessments: At least sixty (60) days prior to the commencement of each fiscal year of the Corporation (or in the case of the fist fiscal year, not later than sixty (60) days after the commencement of that year), the Board shall estimate the net costs and expenses expected to be incurred during such fiscal year for the operation of the Corporation and the maintenance, operation, improvement, and administration of the Community Facilities (exclusive of significant capital improvements and other extraordinary expenses covered by Section 4 of this Article), together with a reasonable reserve for contingencies and replacements.. Upon so determining these expenses, which shall be subject to regular annual assessment, the Board shall render, not later than January 15th, to each Unit Owner or Owners' Association, a written statement specifying his or its allocable share thereof. Such statement shall provide for payment of the assessment, which shall be due and payable no later than March 1st of each year. If the Board fails so to determine the new annual assessment prior
to commencement of the Corporation's fiscal year, then the previous year's assessment shall continue in effect until such time as the new assessment is determined by the Board and statements are rendered with respect thereto. In the event the Board determines during any fiscal year that the annual assessment so made is less than the net costs and expenses actually incurred, or in the reasonable
judgment of the Board likely to be incurred, for the above purposes, the Board shall make supplemental annual assessments and render statements therefor, which shall be due and payable within thirty (30) days of the rendering of such statements. In the event a Residential Unit is rendered uninhabitable by fire or other casualty, the Board, in its discretion, may abate all or a portion of any charges assessed
under this Article against the Unit owners of such Residential Unit while it remains uninhabitable.

Last edited:

Sou13

Reaction score
Southcape 1985 Board of Trustees

BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
July 31, 1985​

Meeting called to order.

Quorum established.

Meeting attended by Trustees: Joe Bottari, Edward Conforti, Don Buese, Mel Melle.
Gerald Culbert absent.

Minutes of prior meeting read and approved.

Item: Old Business

Following action to be taken by Southcape Management:
- Post hours for Jacuzzi (odd - Adult, even - Children).
- Sign "No Glass in Pool Area" to be posted.
- As for the purchase of a specific computer, Mel Melle (Chief Financial Officer of the Hallwood Group) will spend time examining the operating, financial and reporting procedures for Southcape Resort. His analysis will be reported to the Board with suggestions and recommendations.

Item: Bonus Days

Due to the limited availability of Bonus Days (primarily January-March), the Board voted unanimously to increase the fee to $40.00 per night with a minimum of two nights per stay. Price effective January of 1986.

Item: Delinquencies

The following steps will be taken regarding owners units that are delinquent 30 days prior to occupancy. The Management Company will have the right to rent the unit with the proceeds broken down as follows: amount of rental minus delinquent maintenance fee and real estate taxes, plus accrued interest, recording fees, attorneys' fees and any other incidental expenses. Any remaining funds will be forwarded to the delinquent owner.

Item: Telephones

Unanimous vote to buy all phones rather than pay a rental fee.

Item: Reserves and Replacements

Voted unanimously after lengthy discussion to stagger replacements of water heaters; 5 per year for the next six years or as necessary.

Discussion of acquisition of lawn tractor, fitted with a mower deck and pull trailer, tabled until next meeting at which time a detailed report will be presented.

Discussed replacement of dining room chairs, some sofas and love seats, mattresses and box springs and fogged Thermopane windows. Tabled until next meeting, at which time a financial update will be available for analysis.

Meeting adjourned.

Next meeting November 15, 1985.

SPECIAL MEETING OF BOARD OF TRUSTEES
AUGUST 27, 1985​

Meeting called to order.

Meeting held by telephone by Trustees (Joe Bottari, Gerald Culbert, Edward Conforti, Don Buese, and Tom Hartigan).

Item: Discussion of sale of undeveloped land and Management Company.

The Hallwood Group' Inc., (NYSE-HWG) announced the sale of Southcape Resort & Club and its undeveloped land to Richard DePamphilis and Frederick Sateriale. Further, Southcape Management, Inc., will be replaced by All Cape Resort Management Company, Inc. All management personnel have been retained by the new management company.

Item: Vote to accept new Management Company. Vote unanimous.

Item: Vote to accept the resignations of Trustees Don Buese and Thomas Hartigan. Vote unanimous.

Item: Vote to appoint Fred Sateriale and Rick DePamphilis to the vacant Board of Trustees positions. Vote unanimous.

Item: Mr. Bottari requested a special meeting of all the Board of Trustees be called to discuss future plans for Southcape Resort. Vote unanimous. Date to be determined.

Meeting adjourned.

Scott_Ru

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife is at Southcape at the moment and she reported the following:

1) Units 1-21 have been re-sided and wood replaced. They may not have completed all of them but they have done most and they look good. The the roofs have also been repaired/replaced.
2) The exercise room has new, upscale equipment -- 2 new treadmills, 2 new elipticals, weights etc. The old equipment had been donated and was in very bad shape. Jane says it looks good now.
3) The swimming pool has been repaired and repainted. "Looks great."
4) Very bad winter left the patio outside the main office cracked and useless ... it's been all redone and looks very good.

Scott

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maintenance fees were discussed. Mr. Conforti said that in 198598% of the Units were sold.

I assume that reads "Mr. Conforti said that in 1985, 98% of the Units were sold. "

That is an interesting statement. Makes you wonder what portion of the 500 weeks of developer inventory have never been subject to a prior sale. It might be worthwhile to start looking at deed recordings to see if there are numerous transactions where individuals deeded back their week to any one of the previous developers, and if Cliff is claiming those takebacks as developer inventory.

It is also interesting to note that previous Annual Meetings had the association attorney in attendance, and that the board of trustees had 5 members. Is it three members now? I thought a change of that nature would require changes to the By-Laws - which requires an owner vote.

Maybe that will be outlined in some other minutes that Sou13 uncovers.

Last edited: