• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

(2007 thread) Shell Vacation Club (SVC) Points Knowledge thread

Mickey Moe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since most of the Shell resorts are out west, have you found Shell to be useful? How are you using the points?

Yes I'm from Sudbury.

We purchased a few years ago mostly for Carriage Hills (quick long weekend getaways) as well as trading into RCI for Disney. We managed to get some good trades in Disney before they changed to Interval. We were at Disney Grand Californian 2 bed last week which was a real score and presently at the Welks Resort in Escondito that we got through Interval after they switched in Jan.

Since they switched to Interval I picked up some Grandview Points so I still have access to RCI. Time will tell how good the trading will be.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
I'm thinking about trying this

We purchased a few years ago mostly for Carriage Hills (quick long weekend getaways)

How well did this work for you? Does Carriage Hills/Ridge have good last-minute availability? If so, could I plan to stretch a small points package into several golf outings?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We stayed at the Inn at the Park in December. Renovation was to start in Jan on half the building and be complete in April. At that time they were to do the other half of the building and be done in the fall. Great location across the street from Balboa Park. Toured the "preview" room for the remodel and it looked really nice, modern and chic.

Are they going to sell Shell points out of that model/ preview unit? If so, I will be very excited.

Mickey Moe

TUG Member
Reaction score
How well did this work for you? Does Carriage Hills/Ridge have good last-minute availability? If so, could I plan to stretch a small points package into several golf outings?

Last minute availability is pretty good especially in studios. The point cost on weekends is fairly high, much better if you can do weekdays.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Sharing points

I've seen references to "sharing" points between members. Can Shell owners trying to give away their points instead "share" their points with interested members, say for $0.15 per point?:ponder:

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen references to "sharing" points between members. Can Shell owners trying to give away their points instead "share" their points with interested members, say for $0.15 per point?:ponder:

Does a SHELL VACATIONS CLUB POINT =
X % of a RCI or Wyndham or ECVC point

If there was a CURRENCY point converter, then
1 RCI Point = _______ Shell Vacation Club Points

TIA

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Shell points are for Shell resorts

Does a SHELL VACATIONS CLUB POINT =
X % of a RCI or Wyndham or ECVC point

If there was a CURRENCY point converter, then
1 RCI Point = _______ Shell Vacation Club Points

TIA

I understand that Shell points are for use at Shell resorts only. They can also be used in II to exchange for other resorts.

Picker57

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand that Shell points are for use at Shell resorts only. They can also be used in II to exchange for other resorts.

Has anyone had experience with trading into I.I. via Shell? We did make an inquiry about Paris for next spring (yeah....fat chance) and were told nothing was available. Just wondering how much access Shell actually has into I.I.

Cheers,
-------------Zach

PHX-Josh

Reaction score
Direct Member in Mexico

Hey everyone.

Great thread, it's been very informative. So far, I don't completely regret being a Shell owner; yeah, it was expensive when my fiance and I bought a couple years back, but having just got back from the Kauai Coast Resort, we feel it's starting to pay for itself.

My question is, we bought on a trip to Mexico at Plaza Pelicanos. It's a Shell Direct Member affiliate, so we have Shell points and all that, but we make a yearly payment to Shell, and a bi-annual payment to the resort in Mexico.

It's a hassle, and unfortunately, makes it difficult to buy more points without paying a ton more in yearly fees (from what I can gather from this thread, at least).

My question is, is there a way to change my Direct Membership to a Shell home club location, like Hawaii, West, etc? Or am I SOL owning in Mexico, and just need to get all future point purchases in the same home location?

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Great thread, it's been very informative. So far, I don't completely regret being a Shell owner; yeah, it was expensive when my fiance and I bought a couple years back, but having just got back from the Kauai Coast Resort, we feel it's starting to pay for itself.

My question is, we bought on a trip to Mexico at Plaza Pelicanos. It's a Shell Direct Member affiliate, so we have Shell points and all that, but we make a yearly payment to Shell, and a bi-annual payment to the resort in Mexico.

It's a hassle, and unfortunately, makes it difficult to buy more points without paying a ton more in yearly fees (from what I can gather from this thread, at least).

My question is, is there a way to change my Direct Membership to a Shell home club location, like Hawaii, West, etc? Or am I SOL owning in Mexico, and just need to get all future point purchases in the same home location?

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Hi Josh - We're fairly longtime and relatively happy SVC members, and I confess I've not heard of this arrangement thru Shell. Having points, are you sure you're not already in one of the home clubs (though I don't know which one Mexico would be)? I'll be anxious to hear information from the TUG membes with real SVC expertise, but I suggest you also post your question thru the Shell website ("contact us" link). That way you'll have some sort of paper trail. I wouldn't trust any information coming out of a sales room.

Will be interested to learn what you learn. Good luck.

------------Zach

PHX-Josh

Reaction score

Hi Josh - We're fairly longtime and relatively happy SVC members, and I confess I've not heard of this arrangement thru Shell. Having points, are you sure you're not already in one of the home clubs (though I don't know which one Mexico would be)? I'll be anxious to hear information from the TUG membes with real SVC expertise, but I suggest you also post your question thru the Shell website ("contact us" link). That way you'll have some sort of paper trail. I wouldn't trust any information coming out of a sales room.

Will be interested to learn what you learn. Good luck.

------------Zach

It's sort of a unique situation; I'm emailing back and forth with Shell to try and get the full story. I guess there are some resorts that are affiliated with Shell but are trying to keep their independence of sorts; we have Shell points but our fees are handled through Shell (for the points) but the "club fee" is paid through the resort.

I'll update this thread as I learn more through Shell. I haven't found another thread with someone in a situation like mine, so if anyone has seen one, please let me know.

PHX-Josh

Reaction score
To update everyone on what I've learned, my fee structure would break down like this if I were to buy Shell in another area (like the Hawaii or West Home Clubs):

-Hawaii Club fee & Maintenance fee combined
-Direct Membership Club fee
-Plaza Pelicanos Maintenance fees and loan

Granted, our loan with Plaza Pelicanos is paid off, but the fees we pay add up to just over $500 yearly. If I were to buy anywhere that isn't Plaza Pelicanos, it seems it would act as if I own in two different Clubs (like Hawaii and West).

So... dang. Plaza Pelicanos seems to be pricey to buy second-hand. Think there's a way to get out from underneath our Plaza Pelicanos ownership and just buy some in a Club we'd want? Or would we need to go through the hassle of trying to sell in the open market and start our membership over from scratch?

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm...still not sure I understand. Excluding the original purchase & loan costs, is $500/year the total of ALL your expenses? And does this get you one week per year? If so, that's not bad, no matter how strange the breakdown may seem. The MF's for a week's worth of points at Kauai Coast would cost a bunch more than that.

-------------------Zach

kvp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just used our Shell points for an II trade for the Cliffs Club in Princeville, Kauai. Worked pretty well, although it seemed like a lot of points. I guess because it was for eight days and included a weekend.

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
To update everyone on what I've learned, my fee structure would break down like this if I were to buy Shell in another area (like the Hawaii or West Home Clubs):

-Hawaii Club fee & Maintenance fee combined
-Direct Membership Club fee
-Plaza Pelicanos Maintenance fees and loan

Granted, our loan with Plaza Pelicanos is paid off, but the fees we pay add up to just over $500 yearly. If I were to buy anywhere that isn't Plaza Pelicanos, it seems it would act as if I own in two different Clubs (like Hawaii and West).

So... dang. Plaza Pelicanos seems to be pricey to buy second-hand. Think there's a way to get out from underneath our Plaza Pelicanos ownership and just buy some in a Club we'd want? Or would we need to go through the hassle of trying to sell in the open market and start our membership over from scratch?

Plaza Pelicanos allowed us to cancel our contract in January 2011. Can't remember IF they charged a fee. You shouldn't have a problem finding a PP contract to purchase for $1.

We had Week 46 Unit 1179/1180 (if I remember correctly) right across from the swimming pool and LOVED the until when we stayed at PP ONCE. Week 46 is sometimes Thanksgiving so the ONLY reason we cancelled our contract was that we NEVER stay anywhere in Mexico for ONLY one week and had so many other contracts (Velas, Villa del Palmar, VI Vallarta Torre, Buganvilias ETC in PV) that I just didn't want the PP Contract.

Did you get LOTS of Sun Club certificates when you purchased PP. I can't remember if the SUN CLUB certificates were given when the original contracts were with the company with 25 resorts (Sita?) that went bankrupt ages ago befoe the wealthy family from Guadalahara purchased PP. However, PP said they were honoring ALL certificates etc of the ORIGINAL contracts that eventually became PP.

Last edited:

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just used our Shell points for an II trade for the Cliffs Club in Princeville, Kauai. Worked pretty well, although it seemed like a lot of points. I guess because it was for eight days and included a weekend.
Interesting, since Cliffs Club is listed as a Shell property (I think it's one of those "affiliate" things. But there's a points chart in the Shell website and it appears that it's less expensive to exchange thru I.I. (via Shell) than book it directly thru SVC, even counting in the exchange fee. But I wonder if the access / availability is the same.

----------Zach

kvp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Zack, the Cliffs Club is a Shell affiliate. I had to call Shell and they booked it for me. I didn't see any availability when I did a resort search through II, so they must have a different inventory because of the affiliate partnership.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Zack, the Cliffs Club is a Shell affiliate. I had to call Shell and they booked it for me. I didn't see any availability when I did a resort search through II, so they must have a different inventory because of the affiliate partnership.
Yes, there's definitely a pecking order when it comes to 'availability' (ie. it would be cheaper to exchange into Cliffs Club via I.I. ..and there was obviously a spot open....it just wasn't available unless you went thru Shell.) Just because a resort may 'trade' through I.I. or RCI doesn't mean they do it often...or willingly. Another reason to buy into a system that has places you want.

But there are ways to leverage SVC points - and this is probably true of most systems. We've become quite fond of SFX as a way to get a nice bang for the buck.

---------Zach

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the Inn at the Park points chart. Pretty expensive, but the units look amazing.

Attachments

• Inn At Park.jpg
    Inn At Park.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 124

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Online booking for Vino Bello

I am looking at Vino Bello and the room types from the resort information page are different than the room types from the drop down menu. In particular, I cannot find any 2 bedroom units on the drop down menu that are not roll in shower and tub. It has me considering booking a one bedroom and a studio, which I wouldn't mind in the least if it didn't cost so much more to do that between booking fees, housekeeping etc.

team2win

Reaction score
I am looking at Vino Bello and the room types from the resort information page are different than the room types from the drop down menu. In particular, I cannot find any 2 bedroom units on the drop down menu that are not roll in shower and tub. It has me considering booking a one bedroom and a studio, which I wouldn't mind in the least if it didn't cost so much more to do that between booking fees, housekeeping etc.

You then have a couple of choices.
1. Rent the points to avoid housekeeping fees
2. If booked separate the only thing you save is on the transaction fee, if done on same day. Housekeeping fee will be due for each unit booked when using points. So in essence you are paying an extra houskeeping fee since you have a housekeeping fee for the 2br suite.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You then have a couple of choices.
1. Rent the points to avoid housekeeping fees
2. If booked separate the only thing you save is on the transaction fee, if done on same day. Housekeeping fee will be due for each unit booked when using points. So in essence you are paying an extra houskeeping fee since you have a housekeeping fee for the 2br suite.

Just to clarify - anytime that I rent points from Shell, I get free housekeeping? If so, that will be a huge bargain on my short stays.

team2win

Reaction score
Just to clarify - anytime that I rent points from Shell, I get free housekeeping? If so, that will be a huge bargain on my short stays.

Yes, thats how I keep my housekeeping fees reduced.
Whenever you rent points, no housekeeping fee, its included