• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose sarcasm is lost on some, surely you didnt take the .9999999999 seriously. What on earth is your deal? Is it your goal to simply argue??

"Sarcasm" are you serious? How would anyone consider that sarcasm when it is what you profess right on the page where you explain the Timeshare Marketplace. Shall I quote.

"(please note that brokers, which are members posting or renewing more than 25 ads a year will be subject to a $3 per ad fee for each ad over the limit, since 99.9999% of our members will never reach this limit, you all can feel free to post away!)"

My point was, that such a few number of people post more than 25 ads compared to the number of TUG members, its not even worth quibbling over.

You sure seem to be doing a lot of quibbling. Instead of admitting that it is "limited".

I will continue to run TUG as a haven for timeshare owners to find out how to best use their timeshare, be it with the free sections of tug (of which there are many) or the paid members only sections.

If you feel you do not get enough for your money, despite the fact that we now offer so much more, for significantly less than we used to (prior to the marketplace, ads were $10 each)...then I will be more than happy to refund your membership fees..

I feel that I'm getting my money's worth. Thanks for asking.

We will just have to agree to disagree, I simply dont have the time or energy this weekend to continue to argue such a ridiculous point that really has nothing to do with the original topic of this post.?

I was commenting on the "inaccurate information" that the OP included in the title to this thread about timeshare advertisements. I thought that "inaccurate information" within the advertisements for the TUG Marketplace was appropriate to this thread.

I also notice you didnt bother responding to the actual on topic question about how people posting unreasonable prices makes a website unsafe?

I'll get around to it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the OP had nothing to do with this topic and you know it.

Fact is, you are upset you can no longer post ads in the marketplace without paying the $3 per ad fee because you have posted more ads than all but a dozen or so other TUG members TOTAL.

If you want to continue to post ads for free, refer some members or write some reviews. Each of them will be credited towards any ad fees you may pile up.

However if you wish to continue to use more than your fair share of what we have spent so much time and effort to provide to TUGGERS without contributing back to the community either of those items, then you will need to pay the per ad fee.

If this isnt acceptable to you, then there is little more I can say.

Ive already pointed out why some pages say what they do, however...one page EVERY SINGLE PERSON must go to to post an ad, contains at the very top of that page, in BIG BOLD PRINT...the broker/individual limit explanation.

you also must click "i agree to these terms" on that page to continue and post your ad.

This was put in when we started charging for the ads, as it will take quite a bit of time for me to go update each and every page on TUG that mentions the unlimited term.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fact is, you are upset you can no longer post ads in the marketplace without paying the $3 per ad fee because you have posted more ads than all but a dozen or so other TUG members TOTAL..

This is simply not the case. My first reaction was to withdraw the ads that exceeded the limit because I was surprised that there even was a limit. I will gladly pay the $3 fee for each ad I post above the limit.

The fact that TUG continues to advertise "unlimited free advertisments" and that you the TUG owner continues to make false statements about the subject is what is upsetting. You are undermining the trustworthiness that TUG deserves, in my opinion.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, I can see that in this argument, you have TUG's best interest as your top priority.

I have answered your question (now in two separate threads, the first one you made back in january), unless you have more to discuss on the original topic, ill close this thread.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
New Feature added

you will now see your current ad count listed at the top of the "edit your ads / view your messages" screen. Hopefully this will avoid some confusion expressed by a few members in regards to their current ad counts!

timetotell

Reaction score
Deleted - duplicate

[Deleted - duplicate and off-topic. - DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't be the only one

When posting new for sale ad, Season drop down menu has
WHITE/YELLOW/SILVER
BLUE/GREEN/GOLD

SILVER and GOLD should be swapped, yes?

Posted this when the Marketplace was new.
Still not fixed.
I can't be the only one who has noticed it.

I work around it by emphasizing the season in the text, but it still creates confusion. Confusion aside, the ad is inaccurate.

Please fix it.

Thanks!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
How can we tell when our new allotment of ads will become available? Is it based on our renewal date?

I too did not realize that Free Ads had a limit. I put multiple ads up, more than I really needed to. One for rent, one for sale on the same place. A few ads on many of the Wyndhams and HGVC I can usually rent. Well I did this only to find out that there is a limit to the Free ads. 25 ads a year basically gives you 6 ads a quarter ONLY, but I chewed up 50% of my ads in the first week of posting ads alone.

So I have used up my 25 for the year and want to know when my ad bank will get filled up again.

Please advise.
Thanks

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the end of october will have the release of the new ad credit system (And everyone will get 25 more)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Update Update - October update!

This is the 16th anniversary of TUG, and the 34th anniversary of me...so you all get 25 ad credits as promised!

we have just implemented the new ad credit system...a breakdown is as follows:

ok, here goes.

We have switched back to the ad credit system due sadly to confusion (mostly on our part) with members about what was free, and what wasnt free.

So now you will all get ad "credits" with your membership...currently you get 25 credits a year...period.

Each ad you post, or renew...just as in the legacy ad system will cost you 1 credit. So with 25 credits, you can run 6 complete ads...all year long at zero cost to you as a TUG member. (and still have one leftover)

once you eclipse this limit you will actually be prevented from posting any new For Rent or For Sale ads (or renewing existing ones) until new credits have been purchased...a link to the credit purchase screen will be provided within your screen once this happens.

Ad credits are $3 each, (again, a huge reduction in the $10 per ad from the legacy ad system)

you can also exchange a standard review for 1 ad credit, or a resort review award for 2 ad credits, or a member referral for 3 ad credits should you so desire, simply email me at tug@tug2.net and ill take care of it for you.

That said, even after one full year of implementing the 25 ad limit, less than 100 members crossed this limit and the rest of you had no issues posting as many ads as you needed!

Please go test out the new feature and let me know if you have ANY issues posting ads!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read this whole thread. Boy, Brian, you sure took a lot of heat for trying to do something so NICE. Thanks for all you do!!!!!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Thanks Brian

I was not trying to give you grief, but I didn't realize that it was free with a limit. I guess I just missed the fine print.

Live and learn, I know know the exact limits allows.

Thanks very much for you hard work

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is the 16th anniversary of TUG, and the 34th anniversary of me...so you all get 25 ad credits as promised!..

So now you will all get ad "credits" with your membership...currently you get 25 credits a year...period.

Brian, Happy Belated 34th Birthday! :) (OK, very belated - I've been off TUG for quite a while.)

I just want to make sure I understand -- everyone was given a new allotment of 25 ad credits back in October. Then, each person will get a new allotment of 25 ads whenever they renew their membership, whether that happens to be next week, next month, next August, or whenever. Is this correct? I'm assuming that "leftover" credits don't rollover -- everyone starts with exactly 25 credits when they renew, even if they didn't use up all of their previous credits. Is that right?

Thanks!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well, we just added 25 to everyone in october, if you were set to renew in october you dont get 25 more. you are basically prorated 2 ad credits a month if you renew between now and next october.

but yes, ad credits do rollover as long as your membership stays active.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
well, we just added 25 to everyone in october, if you were set to renew in october you dont get 25 more. you are basically prorated 2 ad credits a month if you renew between now and next october.

but yes, ad credits do rollover as long as your membership stays active.
Thanks for the explanation, Brian!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you are most welcome.

Bill4728

Reaction score

This is the 16th anniversary of TUG, and the 34th anniversary of me...so you all get 25 ad credits as promised!

we have just implemented the new ad credit system...a breakdown is as follows:

ok, here goes.

We have switched back to the ad credit system due sadly to confusion (mostly on our part) with members about what was free, and what wasnt free.

Each ad you post, or renew...just as in the legacy ad system will cost you 1 credit. So with 25 credits, you can run 6 complete ads...all year long at zero cost to you as a TUG member. (and still have one leftover)

once you eclipse this limit you will actually be prevented from posting any new For Rent or For Sale ads (or renewing existing ones) until new credits have been purchased...a link to the credit purchase screen will be provided within your screen once this happens.

Ad credits are $3 each, (again, a huge reduction in the $10 per ad from the legacy ad system)

you can also exchange a standard review for 1 ad credit, or a resort review award for 2 ad credits, or a member referral for 3 ad credits should you so desire, simply email me at tug@tug2.net and ill take care of it for you.

That said, even after one full year of implementing the 25 ad limit, less than 100 members crossed this limit and the rest of you had no issues posting as many ads as you needed!

Please go test out the new feature and let me know if you have ANY issues posting ads!
Brian,

I did not notice this change.

As you said this will affect a very small number of members.

Good Luck with the new system.

One small suggestion: I know we want to avoid spam, so we are keeping the names of the people posting the ad private. But is there some way to ID the poster even if it a nickname of some kind?

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
The ad section is a nice feature/benefit here at TUG. Thanks for making it available to the members.

I'm curiuos if we know how the success rate has been for renting/selling through TUG? I realize it depends on how realistic the lister is with their pricing, but I was just wondering if there has been much traffic and movement of ownership and/or rentals through the site.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
on average, roughly 150 completed listings each month.

more than 200 last month alone.

Sadly, there is no way to accurately determine if the tugger completed the listing directly through TUG, or sold it elsewhere as we recommend more than just TUG in terms of cheap and effective advertising in the how to sell article...its unlikely that most ads are ONLY listed on TUG...but who knows =)

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Thanks for the quick response Brian, not that it was urgent or anything.

I have mine just here on Tug to see what sorta traffic I might get. I was not very successful in paid rental sites a couple of years back and ended up renting through TUG's last minute area so I figured I just give this a go :)

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian,

One small suggestion: I know we want to avoid spam, so we are keeping the names of the people posting the ad private. But is there some way to ID the poster even if it a nickname of some kind?

Brian,

I'm wondering the same thing. Is it possible to at least include as a stated option in the ad for the ad to include the poster's TUG BBS handle if the poster participates on the BBS? At least with respect to rental ads when no escrow is involved and I need to send a bunch of $ upfront, I'm most comfortable doing business with someone I actually recognize as a "voice" on the BBS. Not all renters care, of course; and it certainly doesn't mean I would never do business who come to TUG just to post ads -- if the price and location is right I would still contact those posters. But it sure would be nice when looking through a bunch of listings of the same place to see if I recognize some of the owners and, if so, allow me to more easily select whom to contact first.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Brian,

I'm wondering the same thing. Is it possible to at least include as a stated option in the ad for the ad to include the poster's TUG BBS handle if the poster participates on the BBS? At least with respect to rental ads when no escrow is involved and I need to send a bunch of $ upfront, I'm most comfortable doing business with someone I actually recognize as a "voice" on the BBS. Not all renters care, of course; and it certainly doesn't mean I would never do business who come to TUG just to post ads -- if the price and location is right I would still contact those posters. But it sure would be nice when looking through a bunch of listings of the same place to see if I recognize some of the owners and, if so, allow me to more easily select whom to contact first.

users are welcome to type in anything they wish in the description...I see no reason why they cant include their forum name or "handle" if they wish.

However the changes to the marketplace were made by the overwhelming response of people not wanting to publish their public information on the internet...I certainly dont want to take a step backwards in that regard and make identifying themselves a requirement if they do not wish to include said info on their ad.

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I certainly agree re not making public ad posters' real identity if the poster doesn't want that. But having a field for an optional listing of a BBS Handle isn't anything like mandatory listing of real name/contact info.

Of course you are right that folks can enter what info they want in the description. I guess no one thinks of adding their handle in the description section, at least none in the ads I've clicked through.

So I have a message to TUG BBS participants and ad posters: It would be much appreciated if you are willing to and in fact do include a reference to your BBS handle in your ad description if you don't mind revealing such information. I suspect I'm not the only TUG member/guest who would prefer to do business with you before doing business with others.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
you do not however have to be a TUG member to search the ads...as they will be open to the public as will the robust search tool!

this is open to the public and will be available for any and all to use to greatly improve the ability to find a timeshare you want for sale, for rent or for exchange!

Do you have to be a paid member to:

A) contact a paid member about a unit for sale?

B) contact a paid member about a unit for rent?

C) contact a paid member about a unit for exchange?

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unresponsive seller

I responded three times to a TUG Marketplace For Sale ad over a one week period (maybe even ten days) and have not gotten a response. Probably the week has been sold, but it would be nice if the seller would update their ad, or delete it if the week is no longer available.:ponder: