• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

More HHV Info

Aptman

TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, a huge thank you to Jestme, who in this thread recommended that, in response to my disillusionment with my room at HHV, I go and ask them for a different room, citing the noise of the room from the pool. As you can see from my comments in that thread, in addition to the fact that being in a low unit on the pool side of the room and the attendant noise, I was also unhappy with the size of the unit. I went downstairs last night, told them the problem, and asked if they'd move me. They said that there was a unit coming available today, and that they would hold it for me. I went down this morning to confirm, and this afternoon, they moved us to a unit on the other side!!! Let me just say, what a huge difference.

First of all, there is no comparison with the lagoon side vs. the pool side. It is so much more mellow outside the lagoon side, and even though we are a lower floor, we can leave the lanai door and other windows open with much less noise. It's not silent, let's be serious, it's HHV, but it's so much more pleasant.

But, here is the warning for all TUGers going to the Lagoon tower in a 1BD - avoid the 68 rooms (ie - 668, the room we were in, or the other ones on other floors). The rooms are much smaller. Last year we were in a 70 unit (870), and it was a mansion by comparison. The 68 1BD has a smaller bedroom, a smaller living room (we have our 2 boys on the couch in the living room), and an absolutely tiny kitchen (there aren't even drawers big enough for the silverware tray in the 68 unit's kitchen, and almost zero counterspace). They moved us to a 61 unit, and it's just like the 70 unit we were in last year. We can't believe the difference in size.

All I have to say is make sure when you come you don't get stuck with the 68 unit. As an interesting aside, I was trying to find out from the bell man who moved us whether there was a difference in these types of units (ie - were they both dedicated 1BD, or was one of them part of a 2BD lockoff). He started talking about different levels of points needed for different rooms, and it became clear that he thought that these were 2 different classes of rooms, so different are they. He told me that the 68 units throughout the building are smaller.

So, thank you so much Jestme for that simple advice. We still have 5 more nights here, and I'm thrilled that they're going to be in this (huge by comparison) unit.

One final thing, we went to the owner's update/sales tour today, and are just returning from the luau they gave us for attending. They also offered us $150 in Hilton vouchers, but here's the rub, they actually give you 6 separate $25 vouchers, and you can't get change if you spend less than $25. Obviously, they're hoping that you go over by about $10 and shell out the extra amount, or go under and give up on the remainder. If you were otherwise planning on spending that money, and the increments aren't a problem for you, great. The luau is exorbitant, and we would not plunk down the $270 it costs for our family of 4 ($90 per adult, $45 per kid 13 and under). But they gave us 2 free admissions for doing the presentation, and we bought the other 2 for our kids (they even gave us $10 off per kid, so the total cost for all 4 was $70). It was quite schticky, but the kids enjoyed it, and at their age, it's probably better than a full-day extravaganza at the Polynesian Cultural Center (all our kids really want to do is go to the beach, pools and lagoon anyways).

A few quick hints to save a dollar or two:
Go to Walmart after you get here and buy things that you'll want for the beach and pool. HGVC charges a huge amount for everything, and rather than spend $50 or so to rent beach chairs and an umbrella, go to Walmart and get an umbrella for $15 or so. You can buy beach chairs there as well, although they're not quite as cheap as you'd imagine. We also got other beach toys like buckets, a football ($8 at Walmart vs. $20 here at the hotel) there. We're going to either sell them on Craigslist when we're done, or just give everything away (anyone coming here around Thursday or Friday this week with little kids?).

If you have kids, and they are under 4 1/2 feet tall, they need to be wearing floaties of some sort to get a wristband to go down the water slides at the new pool. The pool people happily sell you water wings, for instance, for $10 per pair. Interestingly, the store inside the timeshare sells water wings for under $3. The Lagoon tower store is about 50 feet from the Lagoon tower swimming pool store. You do the math. Or buy something at Walmart. They're pretty cool about letting the older kids take the wings off once they get their wristbands if they're close to 4 1/2 feet tall.

They have not been checking hotel room key cards anywhere at the pool, including getting towels. As a result, the new pool is absolutely packed. You can't get a chair around it after 9AM unless you're lucky enough to see someone leaving, and the pool is a murky mess by noon (visibility was more clear in the lagoon than it was in the pool). The jacuzzi was filled with people so that getting in is a challenge, and finding a seat is no guarantee. Because it's been a little chilly here, and the pool's not very heated, the jacuzzi has been more packed than expected.

The new pool has sucked the life out of the other pools - which is great if you want a mellow pool with space and clean looking water. Even my kids enjoyed the respite of a little quieter, easy going place (and from my boys, that's a real surprise). My kids are relatively good swimmers, but they're too young to be out of sight, so the older pools are a relief, because you can see the whole pool and don't have to follow them around through this large, disjointed area to see where they're going. It was nice to be able to lounge on a chair for a little while as they played in the pool and actually read a little without having to get up and look for them every 2 seconds. If you have kids, don't give up on the other pools. If you don't have little kids, I see little reason (after you've done the slides a couple of times - and I'm a water park fanatic) to go to the new pool. We can thank that pool for making the existing ones a little more manageable, though.

The units all have rice cookers in them, get yourself some good Japanese rice at the market and cook it up in the unit, it's easy and tasty.

I know I don't have to remind you all of this, but "Just Say No" at the timeshare presentation, but you all know that by now.

Have a blast, as windy and chilly as it's been here, this place is still paradise.

Aloha!

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good update.

We have also found when we have complained directly to HGVC management or staff they have normally been very responsive to our complaints.

It's far better for you to have approached the staff regarding your complaint, than to have simply felt stuck and sucked it up for a whole week.

The interesting or sad part of this pool issue is that the initial discussion regarding the pool was only to have been for Grand Waikikian owners. There was initial concern that folks staying in the Lagoon Tower wouldn't have access. Now it's kind of frustrating that they have opened up the pool to the whole resort.:(

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aptman,

Thanks for the comprehensive report! I've been to the HHV so many times it feels like home, but not in the post-Grand Waikikian period. It is good to know in advance what I can expect on my next visit.

Thanks again!

nonutrix

HatTrick

Reaction score
But, here is the warning for all TUGers going to the Lagoon tower in a 1BD - avoid the 68 rooms (ie - 668, the room we were in, or the other ones on other floors). The rooms are much smaller. Last year we were in a 70 unit (870), and it was a mansion by comparison. The 68 1BD has a smaller bedroom, a smaller living room (we have our 2 boys on the couch in the living room), and an absolutely tiny kitchen (there aren't even drawers big enough for the silverware tray in the 68 unit's kitchen, and almost zero counterspace). They moved us to a 61 unit, and it's just like the 70 unit we were in last year. We can't believe the difference in size.

All I have to say is make sure when you come you don't get stuck with the 68 unit. As an interesting aside, I was trying to find out from the bell man who moved us whether there was a difference in these types of units (ie - were they both dedicated 1BD, or was one of them part of a 2BD lockoff).

Units 70 & 71 comprise the 2BR-LO on the Ilikai side, 62 & 63 comprise the 2BR-LO on the Diamond Head side.

According to the floor plan, unit 70 has 709 sq. feet, unit 61 has 714.

What's strange is, the floor plan shows the opposite of what you reported about unit 68. It shows that, on floors 3-8, the sq. footage is 710 but drops to 596 above the 8th floor due to an adjacent stair well. :confused:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the detailed trip report

So based on HatTrick's post
C is 61
D is 62 & 63 (lockoff)
E is 64
F is 65
G is 66
H is 67
I is 68
J is 69
K is 70 & 71(lockoff)

43586.jpg

3-23floor_plan2.jpg

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
What's strange is, the floor plan shows the opposite of what you reported about unit 68. It shows that, on floors 3-8, the sq. footage is 710 but drops to 596 above the 8th floor due to an adjacent stair well. :confused:

Perhaps there is an error in the HHV HOA document for the Garden View Rooms.

It states the following (see below) but it looks like the Floor Area information should be switch between E & I for Garden View to match Ocean View.

Floor Plan Location: E is 3-4 floor / Floor Area: 596 SF (Garden View)
Floor Plan Location: I is 3-8 floor / Floor Area: 710 SF (Garden View)

Floor Plan Location: E is 5-23 floor / Floor Area: 710 SF (Ocean View)
Floor Plan Location: I is 9-23 floor / Floor Area: 596 SF (Ocean View)

Aptman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good update.

We have also found when we have complained directly to HGVC management or staff they have normally been very responsive to our complaints.

It's far better for you to have approached the staff regarding your complaint, than to have simply felt stuck and sucked it up for a whole week.

The interesting or sad part of this pool issue is that the initial discussion regarding the pool was only to have been for Grand Waikikian owners. There was initial concern that folks staying in the Lagoon Tower wouldn't have access. Now it's kind of frustrating that they have opened up the pool to the whole resort.:(

The irony is that, not only is the Lagoon tower allowed, and the rest of HHV, but so is the rest of the public (although I haven't asked people or tried to do a survey). At no point have we been asked to show our room key. Far as we can be sure, there are plenty of non-HHV people there filling the place up.

It's not that I'm elitist and can tell the difference between guests and non-guests (I can't), it's just that the pool is SO crowded.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
So based on HatTrick's post
C is 61
D is 62 & 63 (lockoff)
E is 64
F is 65
G is 66
H is 67
I is 68
J is 69
K is 70 & 71(lockoff)

Just to complete my Notes what are units A and B numbered then. 60 I could guess as one, but what about the other 72?

Thanks

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
The irony is that, not only is the Lagoon tower allowed, and the rest of HHV, but so is the rest of the public (although I haven't asked people or tried to do a survey). At no point have we been asked to show our room key. Far as we can be sure, there are plenty of non-HHV people there filling the place up.

It's not that I'm elitist and can tell the difference between guests and non-guests (I can't), it's just that the pool is SO crowded.

We visit HHV frequently. While there, my husband spends most of every day at the super pool talking to whomever will listen. He has reported to me that most of the people he meets at the super pool are not HHV guests. I have reported this fact over and over again to Hilton employees who just give a puzzled look with a reply of, "Really?" Now, it sounds like the problem has moved to the new pool...

nonutrix

HatTrick

Reaction score
Perhaps there is an error in the HHV HOA document for the Garden View Rooms.

It states the following (see below) but it looks like the Floor Area information should be switch between E & I for Garden View to match Ocean View.

Floor Plan Location: E is 3-4 floor / Floor Area: 596 SF (Garden View)
Floor Plan Location: I is 3-8 floor / Floor Area: 710 SF (Garden View)

Floor Plan Location: E is 5-23 floor / Floor Area: 710 SF (Ocean View)
Floor Plan Location: I is 9-23 floor / Floor Area: 596 SF (Ocean View)

I think you're right about that.

jestme

Reaction score
We visit HHV frequently. While there, my husband spends most of every day at the super pool talking to whomever will listen. He has reported to me that most of the people he meets at the super pool are not HHV guests. I have reported this fact over and over again to Hilton employees who just give a puzzled look with a reply of, "Really?" Now, it sounds like the problem has moved to the new pool...

nonutrix

I agree. Most of the people at the super pool aren't guests. I talked to some people at the new pool in January, who claimed they were visiting guests who were actually staying there... As history shows with the Super pool, they don't police the pool areas at all to make sure the facilities are used by guests. With all the money they just spent on the new one, you would think they would want to keep them a little more for HHV guests. A simple room and name check for towels would do it.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually stay at HHV 1-2 weeks and always get the Diamond Head side and also spend a day at the Bay Club. Because I can never get our air tickets and TS reservation to match up exactly we always have a separate stay of a couple of days at HHV either at the beginning or end of our trip. We always get that little 1-bdrm you mentioned. I got the sense that where they put people who were staying for shorter stays.

Once again on our next trip I need an extra 3 day reservation. I'm hoping to get the Grand Waikikian but as I am dispirit as always to get something open season I'll probably get the smaller 68 room.

Aptman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Non-policing of the pools

I'm thinking they don't police the pools because it makes them too much money at the concessions. We just went to the Hale Koa for lunch, it's so much cheaper (1/3 the cost). But walking back, we saw the restaurant at the super pool was filled. Also, the rentals at the lagoon were going strong, as were all the other concessions - all of which are exorbitant. Now, being TUGers, buying on resale and all, we're a lot cheaper than those who spent huge bucks from a developer at the GW or Lagoon tower, so we're extremely conscious of not going crazy on concessions of the sort. Maybe their final revenge on people like us is to allow the pool to fill up with those paying for all those extras. Of course, had I just spent $75k on a GW 2BD plus or premier unit, I'd be pretty pissed about the crowds of non-owners filling up the pool.

BTW - Can I tell you how incredibly pleasant it is to sit here on the Lanai overlooking the lagoon rather than the pool, screwing around on the internet? Life is good, sorry to rub it in on you all.:D

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Lagoon Studio & Penthouse

From the same HHV HOA

Info on the Lagoon Studios
Floor Plan Location: "A" on 24th floor / Floor Area: 296 SF / Lanai: 98 SF (close to the lanai size of most villas except the corner and penthouse units)
Floor Plan Location: "D" on 24th floor / Floor Area: 270 SF / Lanai: 48 SF
Floor Plan Location: "K" on 24th floor / Floor Area: 265 SF / Lanai: 45 SF
Floor Plan Location: "D" on 3rd to 23rd floor / Floor Area: 305 SF / Lanai: 0 SF
Floor Plan Location: "K" on 3rd to 23rd floor / Floor Area: 311 SF / Lanai: 0 SF

NOTE: "A" on 3rd to 23rd floor is a regular two bedroom Garden View Villa however on the 24th floor (penthouse floor) it is a studio and a two bedroom penthouse villa

Info on the Lagoon Penthouses (24th floor)
Three Bedroom Penthouse - "B", "F", "G", "H" , "J"
Two Bedroom Penthouse - "A", "C", "D", "E", "I", "K"

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
FYI: The beach and lagoon rentals are operated by an outside company, not HHV.

jestme

Reaction score
I'm thinking they don't police the pools because it makes them too much money at the concessions. We just went to the Hale Koa for lunch, it's so much cheaper (1/3 the cost). But walking back, we saw the restaurant at the super pool was filled.
In Hilton's short term minds, if there are people paying $16 for the hamburger with a bag of chips at the Super Pool that is great profit. It's hard for them to see the hotel guests that don't come any more because the noisy pool is very hard to get a chair at, and everything is way too expensive. Those are the two main complaints on tripadvisor. IMHO, they seem to focus more on the corporate convention spenders who are writing expenses back to the company rather than the traveling public like us.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
According to an old 2008 article, the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa is one of Hilton's largest and most profitable properties and one of the few the company owns outright. As one of Hilton's biggest cash cows, the entire company feels it when occupancy at the 2,860-room Hilton Hawaiian Village slips.

I would think Hilton would be concerned about any impact to future guest stays at HHV. But that old article also states "While Hilton wasn't known as especially loose in how it ran its operations, Blackstone sees ways to cut costs and make more money from guests."

NOTE: You can fill out an online Hilton Recent Stay Comment here - http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/customersupport/recent-stay-comments.do

TLA

Reaction score
Just when I think I have it figured out....

I just reserved a 2BR premier penthouse and looking at the info on this thread, it appears that the unit is not oceanfront on the end but could be anywhere at the top of the building. Is that right?

Thanks!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I just reserved a 2BR premier penthouse and looking at the info on this thread, it appears that the unit is not oceanfront on the end but could be anywhere at the top of the building. Is that right?

Thanks!

Yes, that's correct. The oceanfront penthouse units are three bedrooms

You're giving up oceanfront for a two story oceanview penthouse on the top floor with floor to ceiling windows.
See HHV penthouse pictures on the TUG Resort Database - http://tug2.com/RnR/TabViewResortImages.aspx?Tab=I&ResortGUID=7311ef99-2904-4a7f-9ac4-44d4e665e2a9 (NOTE: must be a TUG member to view pictures)

NOTE: I could be wrong but I'm assuming owners and elite members will get assigned the most desirable units first.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Thanks!

There are 2 units that are in the oceanfront position and there are 3 units that are in the oceanview position based on the floors beneath them. However the penthouse units are spectacular 2 story, floor to ceiling windows with awesome views in any direction.

I would not be disappointed at all.

danb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Noise at the HHV lagoon Tower

We will be there July 11th to the 18 in 2 2br units. If you have the sliders closed do you still hear a lot of noise from the pool? We will have our 2 grandsons with us and they still take naps so I was going to try for one unit on the lagoon side and one on the Illikai side.

TLA

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Now I am all freaked out about the pool noise on the end units so think I will stick with the penthouse.

Aptman

TUG Member
Reaction score
More noise

As for the noise, it still bugged with the sliders closed. However, we were in a 1BD, with the kids in the living room, so it was much louder in their room than our room. We were also right over the pool, and only on the 6th floor, so it was much louder there than it would be on the upper floors, or in a room further from the beach/pool/lagoon.

As for someone in the penthouse, I would have to say, don't worry about the noise, whatever side you're on. The higher you go, the quieter it is. Of course, being on the lagoon side, at this point, is the absolute best (2 nights on that side, and we've hung out so much more on the lanai it's unbelievable), but if you're high up, you probably don't have much to worry about. Also, as I said, if you're in a bedroom rather than the living room, it's also much more quiet.

We only have 4800 points, so we aren't in a position to stay in a 2BD for a week. In a few years, when the kids are older and not as willing to sleep in a pullout together, then we'll have issues.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
How long is the new Paradise Pool?

Does anyone know if the new Paradise Pool extends along the full entire length of the Lagoon Tower?
If not, where does it end? Just before the elevators? Some where between "J" and "K"? Some where between "I" and "J"?