• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Idk how people get DVC addonitis....

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Dude, I think you literally know zippedty squat about the Disney Vacation Club (DVC) resale or annual MF. Before you get sassy correcting another poster, you should consider educating yourself.

If I tried to find someone to give me $25,000 for my DVC contract, it would likely sell at that price pretty much immediately. ROFR prices are tracked on other forums, and the current realistic resale price is well known.

My dues are $650/year.

VGC should depreciate a little though once the DL hotel tower is put up. The biggest reason it's worth so much is because of scarcity.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
VGC should depreciate a little though once the DL hotel tower is put up. The biggest reason it's worth so much is because of scarcity.

Sure. I expect it to eventually depreciate down to zero. Even so, while it depreciates, I will have been using it.

If I sell it for $20,000 in 3 years (say), I will recoup my entire initial investment and all my MFs. Meanwhile I will have stayed 50ish nights at VGC- for $0/night.

You can be angry about the customer service sure. But the straight up economics of it makes it a good buy for us.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many resale timeshare owners who have bought their ownership 5 years ago can say that their ownership have increased approx 50%?

I own resale HGV and have been an owner for more than 5 years and even so the monetary value of my ownership have decreased. I would lie if I said I didn’t care, but since I’m using my ownership I’m getting my monies worth, so I don’t care just as much.

To answer my initial question, only DVC(to my knowledge) have increased 50%.

I could use my HGV ownership when going to WDW and drive to the parks during morning traffic - thanks but no thanks. The easiness of staying onsite beat’s off site anytime. I’ve tried multiple times that the trip from HGV to wdw would take 45min or so, and that wasn’t even when I rope dropped.

DVC gives me this feeling of being home, even when I stay in a studio. The cm’s working at each resort does a terrific job of providing that feeling, not saying that HGV don’t have friendly people working there but it’s just something else.

Maybe a small thing, but when you use the pool at a DVC resort there are 3-4 lifeguards at work at all times, that’s not happening at HGV. My kids are not that small anymore but I don’t relax just as much when they use the HGV pool or any other pool for that matter as I need to keep an eye out for them. With DVC I can relax more and still keep an eye out for them and know that should I miss anything the lifeguards will act instantly.

Basically it’s the small things that makes a difference to me and that’s why (in my book) people choose DVC over most other resorts.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Try to find someone who will give you $25,000 for it. Marriott’s DPs are sold by Marriott for $12 to $14 a point, leading owners (and buyers) to believe that to be the market value. Right now on the resale market, they are selling for less than $3.50 a point. I can buy thousands of them for $3.50 each. They are difficult to sell even at that low price.
So, yes, $7000 X 3.50 = $24,500.
Curiosity - What are your annual maintenance fees? $4200?
Mine are around $6000 on the $9000 DVC we own. We bought at a discount price but will still lose $$$ by selling. Mine are UP FOR SALE for $3.50 each. Any offers out there?

I will buy all your DVC points at $3.50 each. Heck I will give enough $10 a point so you don't lose out . We have a deal? PM me as I have cash in hand for all your DVC points at $10 each.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Coach Boon

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seacrest Surf and Racquet ClubHilton Head
I just joined DVC and Marriott (100% resale of course!) this year and I've got to say, you DON'T get what you pay for. My DVC was $8k and my Marriott was $1,800. Setting up my Marriott and II account was a breeze! My deed was in my name within 3 weeks of my purchase and any time I've called II or Marriott, there was a max of 2 min wait.

Yesterday when I was trying to set up my DVC account, the website kept glitching and wouldn't accept my Club ID or activation code, so I waited on the phone for 30 mins just to be told I needed a member number for them to help me, which I can't get without setting up my account! Finally the ID and code worked 2 hours later (super broken website), but it said I had 0 points, so I called and waited another hour just to be told to call back the next day. Cue a day later and another hour long cue and I finally got my points! Now I get to stay 3 nights a year in a cramped studio with my $8,000 purchase! Like why does Marriott have the staff but not Disney? They are both headquartered in Orlando!

If I didn't live 45 miles from the gates, no way in helllllllllllll would I buy this product over Marriott. The only thing that makes these insane prices worthwhile is the fact that I can drive 1hr to a beautifully themed Poly, Wilderness or African themed hotel on a Saturday morning, drink a bunch of booze at the pool, sleep it off, and drive home the next day for work after hitting up the pool again. Whenever I actually have the time to take off, I'd rather just go visit one of Marriott's or Wyndham's BEAUTIFULLY themed exotic resorts in the actual real location for a fraction of the cost.

Is this just because I'm local? Or is DVC resale really the inferior product to the other big players when buying resale? I'm trying to see it objectively, but their website is WORSE than Worldmark's, and that's saying something! I'm just thinking it could just be that I don't have the bitterness of getting sucked into paying retail prices for anything, but Wyndham and Marriott resale both seem like such a better deal (quality of life improvement) than DVC resale.
May I ask, where can you buy Marriott resale points. I've looked here on TUGS and Redweek. Have I missed something?

SDawn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will buy all your DVC points at $3.50 each. Heck I will give enough $10 a point so you don't lose out . We have a deal? PM me as I have cash in hand for all your DVC points at $10 each.

I'll double that offer!!

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

I think they may be confusing Disney Vacation Club (DVC) with Marriott Destination Club (DC). They repeatedly reference the prices for Marriott, no mention of Disney.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
May I ask, where can you buy Marriott resale points. I've looked here on TUGS and Redweek. Have I missed something?
Ebay has a point package listed right now

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Sure. I expect it to eventually depreciate down to zero. Even so, while it depreciates, I will have been using it.

If I sell it for $20,000 in 3 years (say), I will recoup my entire initial investment and all my MFs. Meanwhile I will have stayed 50ish nights at VGC- for $0/night.

You can be angry about the customer service sure. But the straight up economics of it makes it a good buy for us.

VGC does seem more economical than WDW resorts for sure. The thing that baffles me the most is people who own $30,000+ worth of DVC points for Orlando. There are much cheaper options like the presidentials at Bonnet Creek, Lakeshore Reserve, Reunion, and the Marriott World Center that all have better amenities than every single WDW DVC resort. I'd rather have that amount of money appreciating in a roth IRA or 401k. I just like DVC for an overnight stay. It costs the same as a hotel room. I can't stay 1 night with my other ownerships. My Marriott ownership is only weeks and my Wyndham has 2 night minimums and I'll run out of housekeeping credits if I do a bunch of short stays.

I currently have this booked for DVC using $11.70 as my cost per point per year:

1 night at Beach Club (17 points) in a studio in July - $198.90
1 night in a standard Boardwalk studio (13 points) in July - $152.10
1 night in a savanna view at Kidani (13 points) in September - $152.10

These are regular hotel prices. I usually will only hand over this much $$ per night for a 2 bedroom, not a studio.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I think they may be confusing Disney Vacation Club (DVC) with Marriott Destination Club (DC). They repeatedly reference the prices for Marriott, no mention of Disney.
That is my thinking also. They did post the following:

"Mine are around $6000 on the $9000 DVC we own. We bought at a discount price but will still lose $$$ by selling. Mine are UP FOR SALE for $3.50 each. Any offers out there?"

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 150 VWL points (now BRV) in 2013 for $64/point resale. I sold those 150 points in 2020 for $101/pt. I had three different resale agents call me the day I put the points up for sale, with a total of four offers. I don’t plan to sell my other DVC, but I check their resale value regularly and it’s always heading up. I do not see this as a financial investment whatsoever, but it’s nice to know that it outpaces inflation by quite a bit. (A quick internet query tells me $77/pt would have been keeping up with inflation at that time, so $101 was very nice.)

Fwiw, I never compare DVC’s “value” to assess what my points are worth. I go to a resales website that specializes in DVC. The value DVC assigns those points ($190/ pt when I sold I believe?) is never a value I can realize as a reseller.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
VGC does seem more economical than WDW resorts for sure. The thing that baffles me the most is people who own $30,000+ worth of DVC points for Orlando. There are much cheaper options like the presidentials at Bonnet Creek, Lakeshore Reserve, Reunion, and the Marriott World Center that all have better amenities than every single WDW DVC resort. I'd rather have that amount of money appreciating in a roth IRA or 401k. I just like DVC for an overnight stay. It costs the same as a hotel room. I can't stay 1 night with my other ownerships. My Marriott ownership is only weeks and my Wyndham has 2 night minimums and I'll run out of housekeeping credits if I do a bunch of short stays.

I currently have this booked for DVC using $11.70 as my cost per point per year:

These are regular hotel prices. I usually will only hand over this much $$ per night for a 2 bedroom, not a studio.
There is a reason that DVC is 99% booked throughout the year and maybe it’s even 99.9%

people in general want DVC and not other options. Other options might be great but they are not Disney

DVC have something that other hotels don’t have that might be the home away from home feeling or something else but people crave it year over year.

if an owner have a surplus of points they can rent it in a day and still make some money.

can you rent other timeshares just as easily and still make a good profit?

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
There is a reason that DVC is 99% booked throughout the year and maybe it’s even 99.9%

people in general want DVC and not other options. Other options might be great but they are not Disney

DVC have something that other hotels don’t have that might be the home away from home feeling or something else but people crave it year over year.

if an owner have a surplus of points they can rent it in a day and still make some money.

can you rent other timeshares just as easily and still make a good profit?

I can and do. It takes me a few days to rent my booking out though, but it still always rents within a week. IMO it's better to rent Wyndham than DVC because Wyndham has no purchase price. When filling in a schedule E on your taxes, you can only include annual dues as a write off and not the purchase price. So if I were to rent out my SSR points, I can only write of the $7.33 in MF and not the $4.37 per point per year it costed me to buy the membership so I would pay more in taxes. Also, if you are good at it, you can make the same profit margins as DVC (50% of what it costs you).

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
The DestinationVacation Club came into existence, I believe in 2010. Prior to that we had Rewards Points, which are now called Bonvoy Points and those are closely associated with timeshare ownership, hotel stays, and credit cards rather than DVC.
When people talk about POINTS, it can be confusing….. Bonvoy Points or
Destination Points? I have to be careful myself since I use both.
That is my thinking also. They did post the following:

"Mine are around $6000 on the $9000 DVC we own. We bought at a discount price but will still lose $$$ by selling. Mine are UP FOR SALE for $3.50 each. Any offers out there?"

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
There's the source of the confusion - the "Destination Vacation Club," initials DVC, apparently a Marriott entity. In this thread, DVC generally refers to Disney Vacation Club, which certainly can be sold for a lot more than $3.50 per point.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

I am local to Disneyland and just go for 1-2 nights at a time every now and then. Our tiny VGC contract suits our needs nicely. However if we ever go back to Orlando, I’d really want to stay at AKV over any off site location. WDW is one of the few places where we almost never cook. We don’t need the kitchen, and it’s just two of us. I’d rather gaze at giraffe vs have a living room. To each his own.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just joined DVC and Marriott (100% resale of course!) this year and I've got to say, you DON'T get what you pay for. My DVC was $8k and my Marriott was $1,800. Setting up my Marriott and II account was a breeze! My deed was in my name within 3 weeks of my purchase and any time I've called II or Marriott, there was a max of 2 min wait.

Yesterday when I was trying to set up my DVC account, the website kept glitching and wouldn't accept my Club ID or activation code, so I waited on the phone for 30 mins just to be told I needed a member number for them to help me, which I can't get without setting up my account! Finally the ID and code worked 2 hours later (super broken website), but it said I had 0 points, so I called and waited another hour just to be told to call back the next day. Cue a day later and another hour long cue and I finally got my points! Now I get to stay 3 nights a year in a cramped studio with my $8,000 purchase! Like why does Marriott have the staff but not Disney? They are both headquartered in Orlando!

If I didn't live 45 miles from the gates, no way in helllllllllllll would I buy this product over Marriott. The only thing that makes these insane prices worthwhile is the fact that I can drive 1hr to a beautifully themed Poly, Wilderness or African themed hotel on a Saturday morning, drink a bunch of booze at the pool, sleep it off, and drive home the next day for work after hitting up the pool again. Whenever I actually have the time to take off, I'd rather just go visit one of Marriott's or Wyndham's BEAUTIFULLY themed exotic resorts in the actual real location for a fraction of the cost.

Is this just because I'm local? Or is DVC resale really the inferior product to the other big players when buying resale? I'm trying to see it objectively, but their website is WORSE than Worldmark's, and that's saying something! I'm just thinking it could just be that I don't have the bitterness of getting sucked into paying retail prices for anything, but Wyndham and Marriott resale both seem like such a better deal (quality of life improvement) than DVC resale.
Without getting into some of the back and forth, being DVC centric is understandable for a certain group of people. Most buyers with DVC are either not educated on other timeshares or they value staying on property for repeat trips or BOTH. In general, the majority are unaware and/or not interested in other timeshares, those of us who value both are relatively unusual but maybe becoming more common. I may have been the first resale buyer back in 1994, esp that was not a family member. I was uneducated on timeshares but quickly was able to get up to speed. I have owned more points than we do now (433 now, 885 at the max) and it has worked out well, as have my other timeshares. DVC excels in theming and location. IMO they lag in point of contact customer service and maintenance but excel in customer service when done through Member Services. Whether it's worth it depends on how one fits into the paradigm and whether they can afford it. I don't believe the resale value has much meaning in the long run as it will all be worth zero at some point and late in the game may be more costly than not owning and going on cash. All that matters financially, if DVC makes sense otherwise IMO, is wether one can afford it (to me that's pay cash), making a good choice up front (resort, # of points, Use Year) and whether one over pays for what they're getting. To me the "I can sell for more than I paid" is somewhat of a cop out unless one is planning to sell soon.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
To me the "I can sell for more than I paid" is somewhat of a cop out unless one is planning to sell soon.

Again, to each his own. We all set our own priorities in timeshare ownership. For me personally, I place VERY HIGH value on the attribute of easy exit strategy. No matter what the sales price, DVC has a strong resale market with well known (by both sellers and buyers) sales venues. Decide to sell and your ownership will be purchased almost immediately.

Contrast that with my other ownerships- Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton- all of which have good exit strategies but still require work on my part or high broker expense relative to sales price to be rid of.

Contrast that further with albatross timeshares which folks have issues getting rid of even with work and expense.

IMO timeshare owners don’t put enough emphasis on ease of exit when evaluating timeshares. The more liquid, the better. So to you: emphasizing sales price is a cop out. To me: it is a measure of one of the most valuable attributes in a timeshare, ie liquidity. Of course you may disagree. You are neither “right” nor am I “wrong”. Neither of us are “copping out”. We just emphasize different aspects of timeshare ownership differently.

Amazing! We *both* know what we are doing in this endeavor, even though we have different ownership paradigms.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, to each his own. We all set our own priorities in timeshare ownership. For me personally, I place VERY HIGH value on the attribute of easy exit strategy. No matter what the sales price, DVC has a strong resale market with well known (by both sellers and buyers) sales venues. Decide to sell and your ownership will be purchased almost immediately.

Contrast that with my other ownerships- Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton- all of which have good exit strategies but still require work on my part or high broker expense relative to sales price to be rid of.

Contrast that further with albatross timeshares which folks have issues getting rid of even with work and expense.

IMO timeshare owners don’t put enough emphasis on ease of exit when evaluating timeshares. The more liquid, the better. So to you: emphasizing sales price is a cop out. To me: it is a measure of one of the most valuable attributes in a timeshare, ie liquidity. Of course you may disagree. You are neither “right” nor am I “wrong”. Neither of us are “copping out”. We just emphasize different aspects of timeshare ownership differently.

Amazing! We *both* know what we are doing in this endeavor, even though we have different ownership paradigms.
The value of any timeshare is in the usage, not in the current resale options, assuming one isn't planning to sell soon.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
The value of any timeshare is in the usage, not in the current resale options, assuming one isn't planning to sell soon.

Ok you are RIGHT.

I am WRONG.

Congrats you just won the Internet!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok you are RIGHT.

I am WRONG.

I think you missed the point. DVC will be worth zero at some point and the current values could change quickly and dramatically and if they do, likely downward. We've already seen them drop to half or less one time historically. I'm not predicting that will happen acutely but it could easily if there is an economic downturn.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I think you missed the point. DVC will be worth zero at some point and the current values could change quickly and dramatically and if they do, likely downward. We've already seen them drop to half or less one time historically. I'm not predicting that will happen acutely but it could easily if there is an economic downturn.

Yes exactly. I missed the point. You know it all!

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own DVC and MVC and love them both. Often stay at both when in Orlando. For us, DVC & MVC are two different experiences. While at DVC, you are immersed in “the magic”, and everything is VERY convenient. For us, the ability to walk to parks is of high value. We can stay at Beach Club and be at Epcot within a 5-10 minute walk. Stay at Bay Lake (Contemporary) and be at Magic Kingdom within a 10 minute walk etc. Old Key West and you can walk or take a boat to Disney Springs. We don’t like to stay at parks all day but prefer to go for a few hours and then go back for dinner or fireworks etc. Staying at DVC, we have no parking hassles and no traffic on I-4!

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Ok you are RIGHT.

I am WRONG.

I never try to over analyze my DVC. We’ve enjoyed it since 1997 and now own at 3 of the most desired resorts. You sound like you enjoy and appreciate yours (have you seen what Grand Cal is selling for on resale?????). Edited to add: I didn’t mean to imply that YOU were over analyzing.

We own DVC and MVC and love them both. Often stay at both when in Orlando. For us, DVC & MVC are two different experiences. While at DVC, you are immersed in “the magic”, and everything is VERY convenient. For us, the ability to walk to parks is of high value. We can stay at Beach Club and be at Epcot within a 5-10 minute walk. Stay at Bay Lake (Contemporary) and be at Magic Kingdom within a 10 minute walk etc. Old Key West and you can walk or take a boat to Disney Springs. We don’t like to stay at parks all day but prefer to go for a few hours and then go back for dinner or fireworks etc. Staying at DVC, we have no parking hassles and no traffic on I-4!
You sound like us! But we do BoardWalk. I was kind of thinking about resale of MVC, but since DVC is now featuring II for exchange or cash stays, I saw Sheraton Vistiana for a very reasonable cash rate. I think I’d rather do that than deal with more dues. A week there before moving over to DVC. Although I don’t think it’s MVC, but have heard good things about it.

Last edited: