• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Idk how people get DVC addonitis....

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I just joined DVC and Marriott (100% resale of course!) this year and I've got to say, you DON'T get what you pay for. My DVC was $8k and my Marriott was $1,800. Setting up my Marriott and II account was a breeze! My deed was in my name within 3 weeks of my purchase and any time I've called II or Marriott, there was a max of 2 min wait.

Yesterday when I was trying to set up my DVC account, the website kept glitching and wouldn't accept my Club ID or activation code, so I waited on the phone for 30 mins just to be told I needed a member number for them to help me, which I can't get without setting up my account! Finally the ID and code worked 2 hours later (super broken website), but it said I had 0 points, so I called and waited another hour just to be told to call back the next day. Cue a day later and another hour long cue and I finally got my points! Now I get to stay 3 nights a year in a cramped studio with my $8,000 purchase! Like why does Marriott have the staff but not Disney? They are both headquartered in Orlando!

If I didn't live 45 miles from the gates, no way in helllllllllllll would I buy this product over Marriott. The only thing that makes these insane prices worthwhile is the fact that I can drive 1hr to a beautifully themed Poly, Wilderness or African themed hotel on a Saturday morning, drink a bunch of booze at the pool, sleep it off, and drive home the next day for work after hitting up the pool again. Whenever I actually have the time to take off, I'd rather just go visit one of Marriott's or Wyndham's BEAUTIFULLY themed exotic resorts in the actual real location for a fraction of the cost.

Is this just because I'm local? Or is DVC resale really the inferior product to the other big players when buying resale? I'm trying to see it objectively, but their website is WORSE than Worldmark's, and that's saying something! I'm just thinking it could just be that I don't have the bitterness of getting sucked into paying retail prices for anything, but Wyndham and Marriott resale both seem like such a better deal (quality of life improvement) than DVC resale.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
My DVC was purchased for $7000.

It’s now worth $25,000.

I can’t say I’ve had a similar experience with Marriott.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

It’s now worth $25,000.

The fact that you would have to pay $25,000 now though probably subdues the addonitis since you would be paying today's prices to add on?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I just joined DVC and Marriott (100% resale of course!) this year and I've got to say, you DON'T get what you pay for. My DVC was $8k and my Marriott was $1,800. Setting up my Marriott and II account was a breeze! My deed was in my name within 3 weeks of my purchase and any time I've called II or Marriott, there was a max of 2 min wait.

Yesterday when I was trying to set up my DVC account, the website kept glitching and wouldn't accept my Club ID or activation code, so I waited on the phone for 30 mins just to be told I needed a member number for them to help me, which I can't get without setting up my account! Finally the ID and code worked 2 hours later (super broken website), but it said I had 0 points, so I called and waited another hour just to be told to call back the next day. Cue a day later and another hour long cue and I finally got my points! Now I get to stay 3 nights a year in a cramped studio with my $8,000 purchase! Like why does Marriott have the staff but not Disney? They are both headquartered in Orlando!

If I didn't live 45 miles from the gates, no way in helllllllllllll would I buy this product over Marriott. The only thing that makes these insane prices worthwhile is the fact that I can drive 1hr to a beautifully themed Poly, Wilderness or African themed hotel on a Saturday morning, drink a bunch of booze at the pool, sleep it off, and drive home the next day for work after hitting up the pool again. Whenever I actually have the time to take off, I'd rather just go visit one of Marriott's or Wyndham's BEAUTIFULLY themed exotic resorts in the actual real location for a fraction of the cost.

Is this just because I'm local? Or is DVC resale really the inferior product to the other big players when buying resale? I'm trying to see it objectively, but their website is WORSE than Worldmark's, and that's saying something! I'm just thinking it could just be that I don't have the bitterness of getting sucked into paying retail prices for anything, but Wyndham and Marriott resale both seem like such a better deal (quality of life improvement) than DVC resale.
I want to buy a DVC so badly!!! Until I stay at a DVC and then I miss the Sheraton resorts. A week in a two bedroom at a Marriott or Sheraton is so much less expensive than a DVC. Some of the Marriott and Sheraton pools are much nicer as well.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a DVC so badly!!!
Just curious what you find so valuable in DVC versus something like Wyndham Bonnet Creek that would make it worth the price difference?

Potentially 2 weeks at Disney for $2250/year. How does that compare with any DVC, or Marriott, or Vistana?

seascapemvy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at it based on price and benefits Bonnet Creek is a far better bargin. However, I own both Wyndham and DVC and have stayed at 6 WDW DVCs and Bonnet Creek and the Disney transportation make it worth it for us. The discounts are worthless for us because we also have APs so the discounts are the same. On the otherhand, we own at 4 resorts and are thinking about selling a small contract at GF and buying another Wyndham resale contract.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
The fact that you would have to pay $25,000 now though probably subdues the addonitis since you would be paying today's prices to add on?
lol excellent point!

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

If you don't mind me asking. When did you buy your Marriott week? Marriott has had my transfer paperwork since November 30th, and it still hasn't transferred. I've sent two separate e-mails asking about the delay and they say that they are behind and don't have an ETA.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday when I was trying to set up my DVC account, the website kept glitching and wouldn't accept my Club ID or activation code, so I waited on the phone for 30 mins...

Or is DVC resale really the inferior product to the other big players when buying resale?...
Your post made vivid so many frustrations I have with DVC and Disney right now. Apologies in advance for the length of the reply.

Disney's IT is the absolute worst. Both the WDW and DVC websites glitch on a daily basis. It seems *nothing* Disney rolls out is tested in house before it hits the streets and they simply don't care. Last year I had a resy that simply 'disappeared'. I could see it, they could see it, but neither I nor they could modify or cancel it. Trouble tickets and escalations were made...but despite promises to the contrary they never followed up...I had to keep calling them. Finally, one day about a month after the problem started I was able to cancel the reservation online. Now I have an issue with borrowing points. I'm allowed to borrow 1/2 my points on a given contract but apparently since I've already borrowed a few the website glitches every time I try to borrow more (but still less than 1/2).

The brainiacs at WDW also had the brilliant idea of getting rid of not only the DVC cards but also the online 'proof' of DVC ownership. Now they want everyone to put their DVC and AP status in their phone's 'wallet'. Which would merely be supremely annoying if it weren't for the fact that they (of course) messed it up. Anyone who ever had an AP shows up as having a current AP. And the DVC status is correct only those who bought the current minimum of 150 points or more direct and never bought resale (or who only bought resale after April 4th 2016). All those who only bought the then current minimum or who bought resale before 2016 or who have multiple memberships (because they have multiple use years) some of which qualify and some of which don't show as 'white card' instead of 'blue card'. It's not like it's difficult, it's all of 7 OR operators, back when I did programming for hire I would have been slightly embarrassed to charge them my minimum 1hr fee for about 10 minutes of work.

To add insult to injury, those who have already bought APs with their DVC discount (back last year when they still gave a discount) are being prevented from activating their APs because their DVC status is showing up incorrectly in the wallet.

You also mentioned the wait times for DVC phone support - 60 minutes is now 'normal' with up to 4 hours if you try to call when anything is 'happening'. It didn't use to be like this. But along with 'outsourcing' their IT staff, DVC decided it could make more money by not hiring CMs sufficient to meet demand.

DVC resale used to be the absolute best. Their salespeople used to highlight the fact that unlike timeshares in general, if you bought from DVC the value of what you bought wouldn't drop the minute 'you drove it off the lot'. And when I first was looking to buy, direct w/promotions and resale were about the same price. I was about to buy Wilderness Lodge Villas direct and at the last minute decided that 'long term' it would be better to own at BCV where we could walk to two parks. DVC wasn't selling BCV so we bought resale. But if we bought a year or two later we probably would have bought direct at BLT.

Now DVC treats resale buyers like scum. At their newest resort, Riviera, resale buyers can only book at Riviera. They say they are 'following industry practice'...but DVC treats resale buyers worse than MVC and far, far worse than HGVC.

I've loved WDW since my first trip as a boy...a truly magical place that I only got to experience that once until I was an adult. And I've loved DVC and the memories of being able to take our kids and the grandparents and later the kids and their friends to WDW. But I'm dreading our upcoming trip with the new Genie/Lightning Lane system - spectacularly ill suited for those who like to hit the parks at 'the crack of noon.' And blowing our first 1/2 day at MK, instead having to activate our APs at Disney Springs Guest Services (apparently the only place with properly trained CMs).

I may be in search of the 'greater fool' later this year.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Just curious what you find so valuable in DVC versus something like Wyndham Bonnet Creek that would make it worth the price difference?

Potentially 2 weeks at Disney for $2250/year. How does that compare with any DVC, or Marriott, or Vistana?
I don’t need to be on property. WBC is as close to on property as you can get however, I can stay 6 minutes away at SVR or World Center Marriott’s with my current ownerships. When I say I want a DVC so bad, I should say that I really want DVC to stay at the new Riviera Resort or the resorts walkable to parks. If I have to rely on a bus, then staying on property doesn’t appeal to me. I just stayed at SSR last month on an RCI exchange. The room was excellent! The walk back from Disney springs one night was also great but I drove to the parks everyday. Aside from the small benefits of early access to parks which I only took advantage of once and the extra hours at a park one night, There wasn’t much else.

now if I’m understanding correctly, you’re asking me how the 2250 WBC fees compare to staying at a Marriott or Vistana? It’s around the same from a MF perspective depending on the season. The real benefit is in Interval getaways. Marriott or Sheratons can be had on getaways for under 1000 for many weeks of the year that I would travel. I’ve purchased two bedroom getaways at a Sheraton for 600 dollars, leaving my orlando ownerships to be used for much more desirable destinations. Compared to RCI extra vacations, I’ve found that Interval Getaways are a much better deal.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Yep. We’ve enjoyed our DVC ownership for 24+ years, but we don’t recommend buying there anymore. Compared to other TSs, all it has going for it is location, and we’ve been just as happy staying at TSs offsite and driving to the parks as staying onsite and using Disney transportation.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

It’s now worth $25,000.

I bought my Marriott for $19,000.

Now the same unit is selling for $56,000.

I bought VGC for $42,000.

The VGC points are now selling for $150,000.

Luckily I have a great experience with DVC and MVC.

Now my HGVC experience is a lot different.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Yep. We’ve enjoyed our DVC ownership for 24+ years, but we don’t recommend buying there anymore. Compared to other TSs, all it has going for it is location, and we’ve been just as happy staying at TSs offsite and driving to the parks as staying onsite and using Disney transportation.
When my son was younger it was such a convenience. The ability to get back to your room for a midday nap was awesome.

I still love DVC for their location and themeing. If we have to stay more than 3 nights,I would rather be at Orlando Marriott near by. The accomodations at Marriott are superior to what you get from DVC.

Now with VGC, if we are visiting DL or DCA I will stay there instead of a hotel nearby. The closest TS from Marriott is Newport coast. Have stayed at the Peacock Suites and Wyndham nearby, but no offense, it is not at the Marriott or Hilton level.

I have addontitis at VGC but the $300 a point resale is something I am not willing to pay. But obviously others are, as the resale prices are so high.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own much timeshare (not saying too much). I stay at a Wyndham location almost weekly. I also stay at an HGVC location nearby frequently. I have far more Wyndham than HGVC points. The Wyndham points have little value resale, but I like many of the resorts. The HGVC points do a little better resale and I also like the resorts. I do own a fair amount of DVC as well that I only use for visiting WDW. I don't plan on getting rid of any of these points, so I don't worry too much about their value. If and when I do want to start downsizing, I will use all of the deed back programs that are available and dump the rest on TUG for free.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
When I think about DVC the value proposal is really simple. If you travel to WDW or DL routinely and would otherwise stay in a deluxe resort on property DVC provide better accommodations at a savings. The experience is different that normal Orlando time shares and your family ether assigns value to that or they don't. After you decide that DVC is right for your family DVC has a few financial benefits that other timeshares generally don't have. First if you don't use your points you can easily rent them for something like 2 times maintenance fee. The second is when you decide you are done the contracts are liquid and have appreciated in the past. DVC's timeshare product is generally somewhat basic and less roomy that the Marriott or HGVC properties. DVC works for our family but we travel regularly to WDW and would likely be staying in deluxe resorts on property. I have Marriott and use and trade that as well as an RCI points contract that I exchange often. DVC is a good component in my TS portfolio but I think about it only to use at WDW or when I have excess points I rent them out for other timeshare trips I use II or RCI.

nomoretslt

Reaction score

Yesterday when I was trying to set up my DVC account, the website kept glitching ..

In answer to the first point, how do you know you don’t get what you paid for? You haven’t been a member for more than a day. The last few times I’ve called, I waited ten minutes. The people in member services do more than set up your accounts...they also make reservations, help members try to salvage their points that may expire due to COVID fears, make dining reservations, help you piece together a reservation that you put together via stalking the RAT and waitlist, assist with banking and borrowing points, along with some other things. They also patiently listen to your life stories (in my experience anyway) and also talk about their own Disney anecdotes. Before COVID, I had the extension numbers of a few members services people that were extremely knowledgeable. Things changed a lot thanks to COVID. Many were furloughed, many found they got paid more to not work. I can no longer use those extension numbers.

The member website is really great when it works properly. I don’t know much about how these things work, but it always stinks at around 8 am when you can begin your 11 month reservations. It just can’t handle the “traffic”. Yesterday was awful most of the day because they just announced the return of Moonlight Magic, so EVERYONE was on the RAT trying to grab up a room reservation for those nights (I know because I tried). They need to fix whatever makes the system break down, but they just don’t. But Chapek still made a ton of money!

And I absolutely think you feel the way you do because you are “local”. Most DVC members go only once a year, maybe twice, maybe every other year. I know many from the UK would go every other year but stay for 3 weeks. Some are within driving distance, but it’s still a long haul. Others fly from the northwest, northeast, Midwest. For them it’s a real treat to go somewhere the weather is nice and be in the Disney Bubble. They look forward to it all year. Then they find that they wish they could stay longer or go more often, which leads to addonitis. I used to live pretty close to New York City. Less than a hour drive. Almost never went there because I think NYC is a sewer and a ripoff. Not to mention extremely dangerous right now, and I don’t know why anyone would want to visit. Others vehemently disagree with me but that’s okay.

Maybe buying DVC wasn’t a good idea for you for one night stays. You could have just gotten a resort hotel room for one night and not be bothered with dues and stuff. Although you save by not having to pay to park at the resort.

I am disgusted right now with the mother ship and their money grabbing schemes in the parks. Not at all happy about Genie plus and Lightening Lanes. We don’t need it because we are early risers and get to the parks early and then chill at the resort by noon. But that is not DVC. But I think it will start having a domino affect and I hope the Genie fails.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
In answer to the first point, how do you know you don’t get what you paid for? You haven’t been a member for more than a day. The last few times I’ve called, I waited ten minutes. The people in member services do more than set up your accounts...they also make reservations, help members try to salvage their points that may expire due to COVID fears, make dining reservations, help you piece together a reservation that you put together via stalking the RAT and waitlist, assist with banking and borrowing points, along with some other things. They also patiently listen to your life stories (in my experience anyway) and also talk about their own Disney anecdotes. Before COVID, I had the extension numbers of a few members services people that were extremely knowledgeable. Things changed a lot thanks to COVID. Many were furloughed, many found they got paid more to not work. I can no longer use those extension numbers.

The member website is really great when it works properly. I don’t know much about how these things work, but it always stinks at around 8 am when you can begin your 11 month reservations. It just can’t handle the “traffic”. Yesterday was awful most of the day because they just announced the return of Moonlight Magic, so EVERYONE was on the RAT trying to grab up a room reservation for those nights (I know because I tried). They need to fix whatever makes the system break down, but they just don’t. But Chapek still made a ton of money!

And I absolutely think you feel the way you do because you are “local”. Most DVC members go only once a year, maybe twice, maybe every other year. I know many from the UK would go every other year but stay for 3 weeks. Some are within driving distance, but it’s still a long haul. Others fly from the northwest, northeast, Midwest. For them it’s a real treat to go somewhere the weather is nice and be in the Disney Bubble. They look forward to it all year. Then they find that they wish they could stay longer or go more often, which leads to addonitis. I used to live pretty close to New York City. Less than a hour drive. Almost never went there because I think NYC is a sewer and a ripoff. Not to mention extremely dangerous right now, and I don’t know why anyone would want to visit. Others vehemently disagree with me but that’s okay.

Maybe buying DVC wasn’t a good idea for you for one night stays. You could have just gotten a resort hotel room for one night and not be bothered with dues and stuff. Although you save by not having to pay to park at the resort.

I am disgusted right now with the mother ship and their money grabbing schemes in the parks. Not at all happy about Genie plus and Lightening Lanes. We don’t need it because we are early risers and get to the parks early and then chill at the resort by noon. But that is not DVC. But I think it will start having a domino affect and I hope the Genie fails.

I got it because it's cheaper to pay due than hotel prices. I only can use it 3-4 nights a year. I visit Orlando at least twice a month so it made sense that way. I'm just annoyed with their staffing and website issues. I'm viewing it as the product vs the market value. I feel like DVC is over valued and Wyndham and Marriott are undervalued. My Wyndham points costed almost nothing and I can stay at Bonnet Creek for $60/night during the value season. I can also put up $95/night reservations at Bonnet Creek on Redweek, sell it in a few days and still make about a $200 profit.

SDawn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The online chat on the DVC site is easy to use. I had my resale points loaded within 5 minutes through the chat.

We love WBC and we are still on the fence with getting some Wyndham points to stay there. We used to rent, but with the restrictions it would be difficult getting it for the times we travel. Ultimately we'd prefer to stay onsite at Disney for a week then move over there for another week.

But, with the ability to access getaways in II, we'll wait and see if anything good comes up there. ;)

seascapemvy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The online chat on the DVC site is easy to use. I had my resale points loaded within 5 minutes through the chat.

We love WBC and we are still on the fence with getting some Wyndham points to stay there. We used to rent, but with the restrictions it would be difficult getting it for the times we travel. Ultimately we'd prefer to stay onsite at Disney for a week then move over there for another week.

But, with the ability to access getaways in II, we'll wait and see if anything good comes up there. ;)
We own both DVC and Wyndham. We have stayed at WBC and many DVCs and have enjoyed both. While I actually prefer staying at a DVC while at WDW, I have to admit that on a cost benefit basis Wyndham wins hands down, especially if you have an AP.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking. When did you buy your Marriott week? Marriott has had my transfer paperwork since November 30th, and it still hasn't transferred. I've sent two separate e-mails asking about the delay and they say that they are behind and don't have an ETA.

Did you buy a Marriott fixed week resale? Just curious. We own DVC points since 2000. We purchased a legacy week direct through Marriott almost 5 years ago and since I’m reading this thread, I’m just wondering if this option is still available? Both have value to us. DVC has allowed multiple trips annually, in different size rooms depending on our travel party size for the last 20+ years. We’ve also used it for Aruba, Charleston, Cape Cod, Sedona, and Hilton Head. HH became more and more difficult to get into in the Spring, so we purchased our Marriott at Surfwatch for Gold season. This allows us to be there during Spring break or a nice Fall week. For us it’s a great compliment to our DVC points. Our kids now have kids of their own so we can take our kids, their spouses and grandbabes to Disney every couple of years all together and still have our own trips in between.

I don’t look at DVC as anything more than accommodations in a destination we want to be in most of our vacations, just like the Marriott. We have an accommodation annually for a week during the season we want to be on HH. Not having to pay todays room rates plus tax is the value. Granted we bought Disney 22 years ago so there’s great value between the price at the time and the room rates today! Marriott, we paid $6500 including fees, etc in 2017 and the Spring break rates for a two bedroom are about $500 a night, maybe more haven’t looked in awhile, so we’ve more than made up for the purchase price. Maintenance fees are paid by month so we don’t really feel them so much, we feel we got our moneys worth with both. Not to mention that disney has tripled in price per point from what we paid. We could sell any of our contracts at a nice profit. Don’t know of any other timeshare where that happens. Just sayin.
Dee

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!

I bought last July.

mikebrad

TUG Member
Reaction score

I can only say I have had horrible service dealing with Marriott Vacation Club and the Destination Points Program. In my opinion that program is another Marriott money grabber scheme - but the worst problems I am having chaos getting customer service to help me receive ANY REFUND from MY cruise that the third party (Arrivia) booking agents Marriott passed me and my points on to will not even communicate with me about. Marriott owner services has a contract with Arrivia to turn their owners over along with their points to Arrivia in order to book a CRUISE. Arrivia informed me of the cancellation of my cruise and that they had my points AND a voucher for port fees and taxes which I paid on a credit card. They informed me that I had no choice other than to book another cruise by a certain date with Arrivia; cruising on Royal Carribbean. Arrivia had no information to give us concerning which cruises were available for purchase with Marriott (DPs) Destination Points. Arrivia also had NO information about how many points they would charge me for another cruise. They told me to look on RCCL internet site and find a cruise I would take and THEN they would see if it was available for DPoints purchase and then they would decide how many DPs they would take for it.
Eventually I got Marriott to contact Arrivia (the only help Marriott offered me) and ask them to have a supervisor call me by next Wednesday, - giving them the 72 hours notice to respond as required. So, I am still caught between 2 money grabbing corporations for hopefully only 3 more days.
I have begun the research on the process for how much it will cost me to divorce myself from Marriott’s Destination Points Program. I do plan to retain the 2 deeded timeshare weeks I have owned for over 20 years.
Mike Bradshaw.
Marriott Chairman Level Owner

mikebrad

TUG Member
Reaction score

It’s now worth $25,000.

Try to find someone who will give you $25,000 for it. Marriott’s DPs are sold by Marriott for $12 to $14 a point, leading owners (and buyers) to believe that to be the market value. Right now on the resale market, they are selling for less than $3.50 a point. I can buy thousands of them for $3.50 each. They are difficult to sell even at that low price.
So, yes, $7000 X 3.50 = $24,500.
Curiosity - What are your annual maintenance fees? $4200?
Mine are around $6000 on the $9000 DVC we own. We bought at a discount price but will still lose $$$ by selling. Mine are UP FOR SALE for $3.50 each. Any offers out there?

mikebrad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you buy a Marriott fixed week resale? Just curious. We own DVC points since 2000. We purchased a legacy week direct through Marriott almost 5 years ago and since I’m reading this thread, I’m just wondering if this option is still available? Both have value to us. DVC has allowed multiple trips annually, in different size rooms depending on our travel party size for the last 20+ years. We’ve also used it for Aruba, Charleston, Cape Cod, Sedona, and Hilton Head. HH became more and more difficult to get into in the Spring, so we purchased our Marriott at Surfwatch for Gold season. This allows us to be there during Spring break or a nice Fall week. For us it’s a great compliment to our DVC points. Our kids now have kids of their own so we can take our kids, their spouses and grandbabes to Disney every couple of years all together and still have our own trips in between.

I don’t look at DVC as anything more than accommodations in a destination we want to be in most of our vacations, just like the Marriott. We have an accommodation annually for a week during the season we want to be on HH. Not having to pay todays room rates plus tax is the value. Granted we bought Disney 22 years ago so there’s great value between the price at the time and the room rates today! Marriott, we paid $6500 including fees, etc in 2017 and the Spring break rates for a two bedroom are about $500 a night, maybe more haven’t looked in awhile, so we’ve more than made up for the purchase price. Maintenance fees are paid by month so we don’t really feel them so much, we feel we got our moneys worth with both. Not to mention that disney has tripled in price per point from what we paid. We could sell any of our contracts at a nice profit. Don’t know of any other timeshare where that happens. Just sayin.
Dee

The DestinationVacation Club came into existence, I believe in 2010. Prior to that we had Rewards Points, which are now called Bonvoy Points and those are closely associated with timeshare ownership, hotel stays, and credit cards rather than DVC.
When people talk about POINTS, it can be confusing….. Bonvoy Points or
Destination Points? I have to be careful myself since I use both.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Try to find someone who will give you $25,000 for it. Marriott’s DPs are sold by Marriott for $12 to $14 a point, leading owners (and buyers) to believe that to be the market value. Right now on the resale market, they are selling for less than $3.50 a point. I can buy thousands of them for $3.50 each. They are difficult to sell even at that low price.
So, yes, $7000 X 3.50 = $24,500.
Curiosity - What are your annual maintenance fees? $4200?
Mine are around $6000 on the $9000 DVC we own. We bought at a discount price but will still lose $$$ by selling. Mine are UP FOR SALE for $3.50 each. Any offers out there?

Dude, I think you literally know zippedty squat about the Disney Vacation Club (DVC) resale or annual MF. Before you get sassy correcting another poster, you should consider educating yourself.

If I tried to find someone to give me $25,000 for my DVC contract, it would likely sell at that price pretty much immediately. ROFR prices are tracked on other forums, and the current realistic resale price is well known.

My dues are $650/year.