• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham eliminating mega-renters

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think you forgot about federalism -- there's no basis whatsoever for saying Florida's (lack of) taxes is unfair when compared to California's. Californians should do something about it, not complain about Texas, Tennessee, or Florida.

God forbid that the federal government ever set state income tax rates. Where is there to go then? Costa Rica?

If California would end it state pension, we could lower the state tax. I am actually pretty shocked Californians are okay with such high tax rates. No one seems to care.

I am from Florida. No one in Florida actually appreciates that they do not pay state income tax. They actually complain a lot about lack of services. I am constantly reminding them they do not have a state tax so what do they expect. Maybe other states can do well without a state tax but Floridians complain about everything.

I did not forget about federalism. I have opinions and they do not always fit within the existing structure of our form of government.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
If California would end it state pension, we could lower the state tax. I am actually pretty shocked Californians are okay with such high tax rates. No one seems to care.

I am from Florida. No one in Florida actually appreciates that they do not pay state income tax. They actually complain a lot about lack of services. I am constantly reminding them they do not have a state tax so what do they expect. Maybe other states can do well without a state tax but Floridians complain about everything.

I did not forget about federalism. I have opinions and they do not always fit within the existing structure of our form of government.

Okay, you haven't forgotten about it. You just choose to ignore it.

There are so many other things to respond to that I don't know where to start. And, it's quite a bit off track from the original topic, so I'll pass.

Last edited:

troy12n

Reaction score

There are two types of Floridians, Native Floridians and those who moved here at some point. Most often, very late in life. Like "approaching death" late...

I think native Floridians, who actually work, definitely realize and appreciate our lack of income tax. We contribute, unlike what seems like the majority of Floridians who moved here from New York, New Jersey or some Midwest hellhole...

It's the second group who do nothing but complain, suck resources and services, complain about every little thing and contribute nothing to our state... sorry, it's the truth

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Renter, It appears you are whining out of both sides of your mouth. Wyndham is not only about you and your so called, rental business. Wyndham is about the people who bought in for personal use and family vacations. Get out or stay in, who cares. I don't. I'm just happy personal commerce on the backs owners' vacation opportunities has ended. You have basically two choices, cut you loses and getting out or enjoy what Wyndham has to offer in term of personal and family vacations. If it's about the money, get a job, a job that doesn't take reservations opportunities away from owners for personal greed and commerce.

Wyndham won't buy you out nor will you win on court. Why would they buy you out? You bought in and helped create the mess you're in. Wyndham won't bail you out so suck it up and bail yourself out. And for the courts, your case will be dismissed before it gets to a jury and they'll bleed you dry in attorney fees and court costs, that is if you can find an attorney that wants not lose on court.

There is a balance in the university - ying and yang. Some win, some lose. It all washes out and rights itself in the end. You are one of those that have been winning. Now it's our turn. We'll win in terms of more availability at prime locations during high demand timeframes for personal use.

seems to me that there is a third choice, adapt to the new rules and continue renting

An owner is an owner if they are using the product for themselves, friends and family. They become a competetor when they commericalize it. Wyndham specifically states that their product is not for commerical use of owners.

so wyndham's action is not for the benefit of owners, Wyndham is only trying to eliminate the competition

and by the way, wyndham bought me out. Why would they do that? I can think of a couple of reasons 1) this stuff is realestate Wyndham cant just take it, They need the owners signature on a deed. and the threat of a lawsuit is I think a whole lot less enticing than a buy out. 2) Wyndham has a staff of attorneys, but they are realestate attorneys, not trial attorneys. Paying $15/1000 points in this instance, (for example) is less than $100,000 and is cheaper than an outside attorney 3) there is more than one way to interpret the no commercial use clause. 4) Wyndham spends a lot of time and money in court, usually on the defense side I think they would rather defend themselves than bring their own case

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two types of Floridians, Native Floridians and those who moved here at some point. Most often, very late in life. Like "approaching death" late...

I think native Floridians, who actually work, definitely realize and appreciate our lack of income tax. We contribute, unlike what seems like the majority of Floridians who moved here from New York, New Jersey or some Midwest hellhole...

It's the second group who do nothing but complain, suck resources and services, complain about every little thing and contribute nothing to our state... sorry, it's the truth

I think you have it exactly backwards People move here to avoid taxes, no income tax and low property taxes, nit to mention the weather. . Florida natives have always had it this way and dont know how good they have it

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no losses. My rentals have covered what I paid out. You are delusional if you think these new rules are going to help you. That is why us renters are so successful. We study and plan to take advantage of our points. If Wyndham does not allow me to rent but still allows rentals thru them at 40%, I will win my lawsuit. I can still be very successful with the new rules and already have. The only reason I do not want to continue is because I do not want future renters having their reservations canceled because Wyndham changed the rules. But I am pretty sure other renters will continue and you will still be whining. Oh by the way I do have a job and I have investments in the stock market. The rentals were all about having fun and meeting new people.

If wyndham does decide to come after you, I think it would be a mistake to sue them. You would be spending a ton of money To my way of thinking, even if you win you lose. And I dont think they want to sue you

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think you have it exactly backwards People move here to avoid taxes, no income tax and low property taxes, nit to mention the weather. . Florida natives have always had it this way and dont know how good they have it

I tend to agree with you. I think Florida natives and those who have been living in Florida forever, do not realize how good they have it. I need to keep reminding my family and friends how good they have it and why Florida lacks state services and benefits.

The lack of state income taxes draws a lot of people from out of state, especially lately it seems. I think fewer people would find Florida attractive if they had a state income tax. Frankly the weather in Florida is not as good as in California but we do not have an influx of people from other states because it is too expensive to live here.

Right now we are in Pismo Beach and the weather has been perfect. 50s at night, high 60s and low 70s during the day, no humidity or rain, blue skies, no crowds. Anyone would probably prefer Pismo Beach over Miami Beach or Ft Lauderdale Beach but the cost of living is much higher here.

So it seems to me that people choose Florida more for low cost of living than weather. Otherwise California would also have an influx of retirees.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you. I think Florida natives and those who have been living in Florida forever, do not realize how good they have it. I need to keep reminding my family and friends how good they have it and why Florida lacks state services and benefits.

The lack of state income taxes draws a lot of people from out of state, especially lately it seems. I think fewer people would find Florida attractive if they had a state income tax. Frankly the weather in Florida is not as good as in California but we do not have an influx of people from other states because it is too expensive to live here.

Right now we are in Pismo Beach and the weather has been perfect. 50s at night, high 60s and low 70s during the day, no humidity or rain, blue skies, no crowds. Anyone would probably prefer Pismo Beach over Miami Beach or Ft Lauderdale Beach but the cost of living is much higher here.

So it seems to me that people choose Florida more for low cost of living than weather. Otherwise California would also have an influx of retirees.
Most democratic states are highly taxed with unionized workers. Unions also back Democrats. One hand washes the other.

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing in this entire thread should turn you or anyone else away from purchasing Wyndham timesharing for personal use. What is it exactly that you’re referring to that has turned you away from Wyndham? Unless you are purchasing points to run a commercial enterprise - nothing substantive has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We actually love Wyndham resorts and have always either exchanged into them with RCI or rented units here on TUG.

troy12n

Reaction score

Well, my point stands about people moving here, mostly retired, mostly later in life, mostly with health issues, some of which isn't covered by medicare. They are overwhelming "users" vs contributors to government services. And since they play the "retired on a fixed income" BS game, and vote (because they have nothing better to do and all the time in the world to do it...), politicians pander to them.

We really don't care how much NY/NJ taxes they paid, that doesn't help our situation any

I will tell you this also, the wages are so low in Florida and the cost of living, specifically housing, has risen so much in the last 15-20 years that an Income Tax would be absolutely disasterous for lower income workers, which, is the majority of Floridians...

Last edited:

troy12n

Reaction score

Average personal income in FL is less than $28,000... average household income is a little over $56,000. We rank 38/50 in median income. Most of our jobs are low wage service industry jobs... there isn't much industrial base to speak for. Never has been. Construction workers, beginning in the 1990's became largely "illegals" who are paid under the table. Think roofers, masons, framers, painters, landscape, stucco and drywall people. The higher skilled construction workers like Electricians, HVAC, Plumbers and a handful of other position (trim carpenters) are largely still Americans. My father was in construction, had his own Masonry company from the 60's through 90's when he transitioned into being a Superintendent for a builder for about 10 years before pivoting into something completely different, working as a machinist for a steam turbine servicing company... in his early 60's. He saw the changes and got out when he was being consistently underbid by Contractors using labor picked up in the parking lot of Home Depot every day and paid cash.

Good paying blue collar jobs are sparse, but do exist. Especially in skilled crafts like Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC, welders, etc. But a lot of service industry jobs pay absolute crap. Because there is (was, up until very recently) no shortage of people willing to work for pennies on the dollar. This current "labor shortage" is really screwing some people up, but in the end won't effect change much.

We live in a state that is diametrically opposed to taxation, and at the same time provides so few services to the people who actually need it. Layering a state income tax on that would be a disaster. I am one of the better off citizens, I never for one day take the lack of income tax for granted.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We have high state income taxes in CO and are paying nearly $1 more per gallon for gas than neighboring states of Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin. Yet our roads are in bad shape. The only bad roads in all of our driving through those 3 states were in Colorado.

Be careful what you wish for because higher taxes for all of the services Colorado provides is keeping money from infrastructure. I am sure our governor is quite proud of his accomplishments.

This is totally off subject. I am actually pretty surprised no one has mentioned that Hilton, Disney, Vistana, Wyndham, all have very big buildings with offices in or near Orlando. Why would that be? Hmmm... lack of taxes? I don't know, but I find it interesting to see all of the big office buildings with those names emblazoned upon them.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is totally off subject. I am actually pretty surprised no one has mentioned that Hilton, Disney, Vistana, Wyndham, all have very big buildings with offices in or near Orlando. Why would that be? Hmmm... lack of taxes? I don't know, but I find it interesting to see all of the big office buildings with those names emblazoned upon them.

I'm thinking a combination of lower real estate costs, lower taxation, lower employment costs, and visibility in the timeshare center of the universe.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a disabled veteran (VA rated 100%) I pay property taxes, but get it all back in my returns. That saves me about $9K a year. It may seem high, but I live on a lake. If you are a veteran with a VA rating check with your state's Department of Veterans Affairs office about specific state benefits you may qualify for.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I'm thinking a combination of lower real estate costs, lower taxation, lower employment costs, and visibility in the timeshare center of the universe.
I think so, but you are right about lower taxes. I think that is absolutely why Orlando (the timeshare center of the universe as you said) attracts the big companies to have their home offices there. We go at least 6 weeks a year, and I think in 2022 we will be there at least 8 weeks. It's a great escape for us, Disney and Universal.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Michigan mega renter is unloading her very large 3 million contract. I'd didn't know Wyndham sold contracts that large.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Michigan mega renter is unloading her very large 3 million contract. I'd didn't know Wyndham sold contracts that large.

That should be interesting to watch.

There are 19 days left on the auction and someone with 4 feedbacks has bid 4 times already.

Edit: Update, 4 1/2 hours later someone bid 13 times to take the lead at $305.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are 19 days left on the auction and someone with 4 feedbacks has bid 4 times already.

$18K annually in MF and Program Fees. Yeesh.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Average personal income in FL is less than $28,000... average household income is a little over $56,000. We rank 38/50 in median income. Most of our jobs are low wage service industry jobs... there isn't much industrial base to speak for. Never has been. Construction workers, beginning in the 1990's became largely "illegals" who are paid under the table. Think roofers, masons, framers, painters, landscape, stucco and drywall people. The higher skilled construction workers like Electricians, HVAC, Plumbers and a handful of other position (trim carpenters) are largely still Americans. My father was in construction, had his own Masonry company from the 60's through 90's when he transitioned into being a Superintendent for a builder for about 10 years before pivoting into something completely different, working as a machinist for a steam turbine servicing company... in his early 60's. He saw the changes and got out when he was being consistently underbid by Contractors using labor picked up in the parking lot of Home Depot every day and paid cash.

Good paying blue collar jobs are sparse, but do exist. Especially in skilled crafts like Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC, welders, etc. But a lot of service industry jobs pay absolute crap. Because there is (was, up until very recently) no shortage of people willing to work for pennies on the dollar. This current "labor shortage" is really screwing some people up, but in the end won't effect change much.

We live in a state that is diametrically opposed to taxation, and at the same time provides so few services to the people who actually need it. Layering a state income tax on that would be a disaster. I am one of the better off citizens, I never for one day take the lack of income tax for granted.
Just wondering: what missing state services are you (and everyone else) talking about? I’m not sure I understand what these services are…

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Just wondering: what missing state services are you (and everyone else) talking about? I’m not sure I understand what these services are…
Still wondering what services Florida or other low tax states are not providing….

Italag5

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Worldmark

Edit: Update, 4 1/2 hours later someone bid 13 times to take the lead at $305.
That is a typical low feed back shill bidder running up the price. Free closing should seal the deal?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned