• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham eliminating mega-renters

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could write a dissertation on how wrong you are on many levels, but I won't. I just state, you are wrong on many levels. And most importantly, the party is over.
It was all fun and games until the lights came on an they yelled "LAST CALL"

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Really, Florida needs a state tax.

:doh::ROFLMAO: ...where does this idea come from??? Oh, yes, now I see... from California. :LOL::ROFLMAO:;););)

Seriously, though, I doubt most Floridians want more taxes. They're mostly transplants, many are on a fixed income (i.e., retired voters), and many travel within the state regularly. So even a higher "tourist tax" would impact them.
(sorry, I know, off-topic)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
:doh::ROFLMAO: ...where does this idea come from??? Oh, yes, now I see... from California. :LOL::ROFLMAO:;););)

Seriously, though, I doubt most Floridians want more taxes. They're mostly transplants, many are on a fixed income (i.e., retired voters), and many travel within the state regularly. So even a higher "tourist tax" would impact them.
(sorry, I know, off-topic)

I am anti-taxes and want a slimmed down government. I do not like the California tax system at all and wish I could convince my husband to move somewhere else. I think it is totally unfair that Californians pay up to 13% in state income tax while Floridians pay nothing. All I hear is Floridians whining about not getting services, too many tourists, housing getting too expensive, etc. Well, many of these problems would be solved if FL had a state income tax because more things could be done to help low income families and more money could support the infrastructure. Also fewer tourists would move to FL if there were a state income tax. A big reason people move to Florida is to avoid taxes. I wish there was only a federal income tax that was slightly higher, and the federal goverment could distribute funding to the states according to population. Alternatively, we could just have a common state tax at the same rate for all states and they could collect it. Perhaps 5% nationwide for state tax.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am anti-taxes and want a slimmed down government. I do not like the California tax system at all and wish I could convince my husband to move somewhere else. I think it is totally unfair that Californians pay up to 13% in state income tax while Floridians pay nothing. All I hear is Floridians whining about not getting services, too many tourists, housing getting too expensive, etc. Well, many of these problems would be solved if FL had a state income tax because more things could be done to help low income families and more money could support the infrastructure. Also fewer tourists would move to FL if there were a state income tax. A big reason people move to Florida is to avoid taxes. I wish there was only a federal income tax that was slightly higher, and the federal goverment could distribute funding to the states according to population. Alternatively, we could just have a common state tax at the same rate for all states and they could collect it. Perhaps 5% nationwide for state tax.

Connecticut didn't have an income tax until about 30 years ago.
The income tax was going to solve all problems. Grants to towns would lower property taxes and the sales tax was lowered.
Surprise! Town grants have been reduced, property and gasoline taxes are amongst the highest, the sales tax has been increased with some services added, but once again, deficits.

When there is more revenue there is also more government spending.

It's my understanding that in Florida, the constitution would have to be amended to add an income tax. After the last income tax increase here, a hedge fund manger that paid over $100 million in state income tax moved his business to Florida and took 35 jobs with him.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Moderator Note: A couple posts have been reported/deleted, and responses to those have also been deleted. Remember the "Be Courteous" rule and that TUG prohibits "socially contentious" topics in the public forums. Get back on track, please.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Moderator Note: A couple posts have been reported/deleted, and responses to those have also been deleted. Remember the "Be Courteous" rule and that TUG prohibits "socially contentious" topics in the public forums. Get back on track, please.
Thanks @SueDonJ It is disapointing the comments have crippled the ability for TUG to be helpful. I see a lot of newbies, and sadly many no longer commenting that might be helpful.

RENTER

Reaction score
Dear Renter, It appears you are whining out of both sides of your mouth. Wyndham is not only about you and your so called, rental business. Wyndham is about the people who bought in for personal use and family vacations. Get out or stay in, who cares. I don't. I'm just happy personal commerce on the backs owners' vacation opportunities has ended. You have basically two choices, cut you loses and getting out or enjoy what Wyndham has to offer in term of personal and family vacations. If it's about the money, get a job, a job that doesn't take reservations opportunities away from owners for personal greed and commerce.

Wyndham won't buy you out nor will you win on court. Why would they buy you out? You bought in and helped create the mess you're in. Wyndham won't bail you out so suck it up and bail yourself out. And for the courts, your case will be dismissed before it gets to a jury and they'll bleed you dry in attorney fees and court costs, that is if you can find an attorney that wants not lose on court.

There is a balance in the university - ying and yang. Some win, some lose. It all washes out and rights itself in the end. You are one of those that have been winning. Now it's our turn. We'll win in terms of more availability at prime locations during high demand timeframes for personal use.
I have no losses. My rentals have covered what I paid out. You are delusional if you think these new rules are going to help you. That is why us renters are so successful. We study and plan to take advantage of our points. If Wyndham does not allow me to rent but still allows rentals thru them at 40%, I will win my lawsuit. I can still be very successful with the new rules and already have. The only reason I do not want to continue is because I do not want future renters having their reservations canceled because Wyndham changed the rules. But I am pretty sure other renters will continue and you will still be whining. Oh by the way I do have a job and I have investments in the stock market. The rentals were all about having fun and meeting new people.

RENTER

Reaction score
Probably not, then.

If you knew enough before purchasing to know you'd be able to rent, then you should have known enough before purchasing to know Wyndham controls the rules.
And Wyndham cannot say it is okay for them to rent out your points at 40% and I cannot rent. I can handle any rule changes they make unless they ban renting. So if they ban it, they have to ban themselves

RENTER

Reaction score
I could write a dissertation on how wrong you are on many levels, but I won't. I just state, you are wrong on many levels. And most importantly, the party is over.
You think the party is over. I am doing even better now that they changed the rules. Because I do not wait until 60 days out now. I book a year out now. I want out because I do not want my renters to be subject to Wyndham changing the rules out at the last minute.

RENTER

Reaction score
Probably not, then.

If you knew enough before purchasing to know you'd be able to rent, then you should have known enough before purchasing to know Wyndham controls the rules.
And Wyndham cannot tell us we cannot rent and then tell us it is ok to rent thru them at 40%. I can handle any rule changes they throw at me. I am doing even better now because I adapted to the recent rule changes and now book a year ahead of time instead of 60 days. I want out because I do not want to subject my renters to Wyndham's last minute rule changes and I do not want to bring Wyndham any potential new business.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I am doing even better now that they changed the rules. Because I do not wait until 60 days out now. I book a year out now.

This isn't entirely surprising to me. It lines up with the interpretation that Wyndham's motivation was to increase the rental costs to improve their bottom line on their own rental business, coupled with a desire to reduce the amount they are spending on point discounts and upgrades subsidizing rentals booked with VIP discounts and upgrades, freeing up those expenses to support their new subscription model.

RENTER

Reaction score
This isn't entirely surprising to me. It lines up with the interpretation that Wyndham's motivation was to increase the rental costs to improve their bottom line on their own rental business, coupled with a desire to reduce the amount they are spending on point discounts and upgrades subsidizing rentals booked with VIP discounts and upgrades, freeing up those expenses to support their new subscription model.
Yes. With the new rule changes I have doubled what I normally make by booking a year out instead of 60 days out. But to prove your point, I am paying Wyndham more money with extra guest passes that I charge my renters. A perfect example of how correct you are is they did not change the rules on purchasing points for $12. Normally I did not use them because I had enough resale points. But now that I cannot get the discount on resale points, it makes sense for me to buy points for $12 because I can still get the discount with them. So I will use resale points for long term bookings and my developer points and $12 points for short term renting. With the $12 points I can get $1000 for 100,000,points. But with my discount of 60% it drops to 40,000 points. So I pay Wyndham $480 and earn $520.So Wyndham is making money off me with these new rule changes and the new rule changes have not stopped me a bit which should be very disappointed to those who hate renters. I only want out because I do not want renters depending on me and then Wyndham changing the rules all together to ban renting. I can win that in court especially if they do not stop renting themselves. But I do not want my renters having their reservations cancelled because Wyndham changes the rules at the last minute.

RENTER

Reaction score
@RENTER, charities would not have wanted your points unless you were also going to will them the MF"s for 10+ years along with the points.

Things change and if you don't feel like dealing with it then now would be a good time to get out. Glad you have the RedRoof to look forward to.
It is in my will and before I died I was going to book rooms for Make A Wish Foundation to provide for families for free. And yes I agree with you. It is time for me to get out. Even thru I have doubled my income with these new rule changes and can handle any rule changes they throw at me, I do not want my renters to have their reservations cancel because Wyndham changed the rules at the last minute. I am very happy at the Red Roof Inn. I just need a bed and I can bring my dog. But I can also rent from other owners who decided to stay including the one's I had helped renting.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Yes. With the new rule changes I have doubled what I normally make by booking a year out instead of 60 days out. But to prove your point, I am paying Wyndham more money with extra guest passes that I charge my renters. A perfect example of how correct you are is they did not change the rules on purchasing points for $12. Normally I did not use them because I had enough resale points. But now that I cannot get the discount on resale points, it makes sense for me to buy points for $12 because I can still get the discount with them. So I will use resale points for long term bookings and my developer points and $12 points for short term renting. With the $12 points I can get $1000 for 100,000,points. But with my discount of 60% it drops to 40,000 points. So I pay Wyndham $480 and earn $520.So Wyndham is making money off me with these new rule changes and the new rule changes have not stopped me a bit which should be very disappointed to those who hate renters. I only want out because I do not want renters depending on me and then Wyndham changing the rules all together to ban renting. I can win that in court especially if they do not stop renting themselves. But I do not want my renters having their reservations cancelled because Wyndham changes the rules at the last minute.

Interesting point about discounts/upgrades for renting points. So a VIPF would be paying, in effect, $4.80/1000 points in the discount window instead of $12/1000 points, getting first whack at the upgrades, and then be able to rent it out for $10/1000 points. Yet another way in which Wyndham hasn't really tried to curtail rentals effectively, but still inflicts collateral damage on hybrid owners that use their own points for their own vacations. :rolleyes:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
This change of opinion on Wyndham is a sad change of events because I had put in my will to leave my points to the Make A Wish Foundation and an Animal Rescue Group.
Did you consult with these charitable organizations? The LAST thing a charitable organization would want is to be burdened with the maintenance fees for a worthless timeshare that no one in the organization knows how to manage.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you consult with these charitable organizations? The LAST thing a charitable organization would want is to be burdened with maintenance fees for a worthless timeshare that no one in the organization knows how to manage.
Exactly what I have been saying for a few years now......... Why be "burdened with maintenance fees" when its cheaper to rent from a VIP?

Last edited:

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please don’t take this the wrong way because I’m in agreement with you. Which party currently represents this mindset? We have two parties and both would like massive spending when it suits them.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Please don’t take this the wrong way because I’m in agreement with you. Which party currently represents this mindset? We have two parties and both would like massive spending when it suits them.

I am anti-party because they are all about politics.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I have been saying for a few years now......... Why be "burdened with maintenance fees" when its cheaper to rent from a VIP?
Not so much anymore.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I am anti-party because they are all about politics.

I think you forgot about federalism -- there's no basis whatsoever for saying Florida's (lack of) taxes is unfair when compared to California's. Californians should do something about it, not complain about Texas, Tennessee, or Florida.

God forbid that the federal government ever set state income tax rates. Where is there to go then? Costa Rica?

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you forgot about federalism -- there's no basis whatsoever for saying Florida's (lack of) taxes is unfair when compared to California's. Californians should do something about it, not complain about Texas, Tennessee, or Florida.

God forbid that the federal government ever set state income tax rates. Where is there to go then? Costa Rica?

Belize is nice and has a retiree tax-free program.

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, is Wyndham still worthy of purchasing? Do you believe prices will drop even lower for time share resells? We were on the fence about buying 500k points for our travel needs and this has really turned me away from Wyndham.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, is Wyndham still worthy of purchasing? Do you believe prices will drop even lower for time share resells? We were on the fence about buying 500k points for our travel needs and this has really turned me away from Wyndham.

Nothing in this entire thread should turn you or anyone else away from purchasing Wyndham timesharing for personal use. What is it exactly that you’re referring to that has turned you away from Wyndham? Unless you are purchasing points to run a commercial enterprise - nothing substantive has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

auntiepen

Reaction score
I have no losses. My rentals have covered what I paid out. You are delusional if you think these new rules are going to help you. That is why us renters are so successful. We study and plan to take advantage of our points. If Wyndham does not allow me to rent but still allows rentals thru them at 40%, I will win my lawsuit. I can still be very successful with the new rules and already have. The only reason I do not want to continue is because I do not want future renters having their reservations canceled because Wyndham changed the rules. But I am pretty sure other renters will continue and you will still be whining. Oh by the way I do have a job and I have investments in the stock market. The rentals were all about having fun and meeting new people.
Hi,
Can you walk me through how to rent your Wyndham? We did it with extra holiday fee years ago. My husband stated to have health issues and travel becoming difficult. We are platinum CWA and mostly booked vacation free of charge to friends. Thank you