• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham eliminating mega-renters

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am going off topic
There was a woman who rented pompano beach Wyndham. I haven’t seen her posts for a long time. I think it was vacation hopeful
Any idea about her?
If you check her profile - Linda /vacation hopeful was on TUG last month & last posted in 2020.
She (did / does) own fixed weeks at I think Sea Garden and a non Wyndham Pompano resort.
as I recall she (was / had) edited her Wyndham ownerships .

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you check her profile - Linda /vacation hopeful was on TUG last month & last posted in 2020.
She (did / does) own fixed weeks at I think Sea Garden and a non Wyndham Pompano resort.
as I recall she (was / had) edited her Wyndham ownerships .
Thanks bee rented from her once was wondering about her. It was the Wyndham on the beach across from Santa Barbara

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Over the course of the now several MR related threads - on several occasions folks have asked for source documentation with respect to various points made. I did some due diligence today and dug up a subset of the contractual clauses that address several of the requests. Since I'm a CWA developer owner - I only have access to CWA ownership contracts - so a subset of these screenshots will have been sourced from CWA specific documentation. I cannot account for comparative clauses from CWS contracts having never purchased a CWS developer contract. Please note this is only a partial collection of clauses - there's other documentation that I still need to dig up - but this is a decent start. Heads up - this will be a long post with all of the screenshots - so here goes.

Restrictions Upon Sale, Lease or Transfer & Personal Use and Enjoyment Clause:

1628713225516.png

The Consent clause clearly states that the Association must approve any ownership transfer. For those who say it's not the business of Wyndham when transferring ownership - including resales - the legal contract says otherwise.

Transferability:

1628713414758.png

More contractual transfer requirements and a restatement of the consent.

Transfer of Ownerships and Special Features:

1628713451174.png

Mention of ROFR provided its present in the purchase agreement (which varies IME).

Non-Monetary Failure (to comply)

1628713558191.png

This is an important clause - as I believe this clause applies to any violation of Club Regulations - such as the cease and desist letters recently received by some owners who are running commercial businesses. If you received written notice via a cease and desist letter - note the information in this clause.

Rights/Privileges to be Suspended:

1628713891619.png

Details on the scope of Rights suspensions.

Residential Use Only:

1628713946865.png

This clause is important as there were some who seemed to be under the impression that the commercial use restrictions clauses somehow meant that you couldn't run a business out of the timeshare location. Not true - this point is dealt with under this legal clause and section. They are two very different things.

Termination of the Trust (CWA)

1628714076292.png

Not exactly related to anything we're discussing - but I found it noteworthy what I've highlighted in red in this screenshot with respect to the entirety of the CWA trust - it expires on 12/31/2025. Yes it can be renewed - but it can also be terminated. That's four years out from now. A lot can change in four years.

Withdrawal of Property Interests

1628714192822.png

During our travels a few folks asked how could Wyndham remove inventory from the trusts. The highlighted section above defines exactly how this process works.

Wyndham Use

1628714314136.png

The usage restrictions Wyndham places upon itself for any/all CWA reservations.

Attachments

• 1628713100720.png
    1628713100720.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview RCI Points, Wyndham CWA
Ok...so if CWA is terminated....what happens to my ownership in the trust?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
\
1628717141404.png

for sale to purchasers for personal use only and should not be purchased ....... with any expectation of receiving rental income.....

This seems to cover sales weasels who repeatedly sell the expectation of receiving rental income via personal action or via EH. It's hard to prove that anyone purchased with the expectation of receiving rental income.

Did I miss the no commercial rental business clause????

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The no commercial activity is spelled out in the directory.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

It is elsewhere as well - I just haven't gotten that far yet. I do have a day job after all. :cool:

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
I don't believe a directory has the same oomph that a contract has. And, it's a pretty weak statement.

1628719404221.png

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I don't believe a directory has the same oomph that a contract has. And, it's a pretty weak statement.

View attachment 38533

It’s a general statement that is likely intentionally broad for legal purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

View attachment 38533
The judge in the Sirmon v. Wyndham lawsuit thought the membership directory had plenty of "oomph."

"Plaintiffs initially argue that the disclaimer should be discredited because it is inconspicuously buried within the membership directories. The disclaimer was perhaps not as openly visible as written statements that other courts have found sufficiently clear to trigger the statute of limitations. ... However, while the disclaimer in the membership directories was arguably more discrete than written statements discussed in other cases, the Court is unconvinced that this fact alone renders it invalid."

No plaintiff would ever bring up the statement, for obvious reasons. It will be interesting to see if Wyndham brings it up in the Klebba and any other similar lawsuits, or if they defend the cases on other merits.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its clear you're a Wyndham Employee! You say Mega Renters are taking away dates for other owners at Peak times, right? So, Mr Wyndham Employee, please tell me why Wyndham Resorts is power renting on VRBO at a $1000 per night in Newport, RI. Wyndham Resorts has 100's of ads? Also, for the majority of the summer, VRBO turned off Instant Book distribution to Expedia so Wyndham Owners ads were not featured but Developer ads were. Wyndham Resorts say they want to be more fair to their owners and give them access to Prime Dates but Wyndham is taking owner inventory and making high profits renting on Booking.com.VRBO & Expedia with the so called Prime Dates they say they want to open up for Wyndham Owners. Currently, Wyndham has at least 6 ads for every weekend in Sept and this is not Extra Holidays! By the way, nice job taking down all the Newport ads that has more than 100 stay reviews then going back and building brand new ads to make it look like they are all new ads on VRBO. Currently, Wyndham has an ad up on VRBO for MLK, Jan 14th to 17th for $799 a night, they very holiday that included on the restricted list sent out to Wyndham Owners
In 2016, some people thought I was a Wyndham attorney! :LOL: No one stated why they thought so. I took it as a compliment earned by perceptive posts. As in 2016, you provide nothing to substantiate your clairvoyance.

Sorry to disappoint, but I am not and never have been a Wyndham Employee in any capacity, so I can answer only your first question, "Yes, I agree with Wyndham's position that Mega Renters are taking away dates for other owners at Peak times." A number of other owners see this, too. Does this make all of us suspect as Wyndham Employees, or are we owners who see things for what they are?

There are a couple of posters in this and other threads who have direct contact with Wyndham Employees, to the benefit of TUG and possibly Facebook readers, who also understand Wyndham's position on Mega Renters and try to explain it with information from the source.

Last edited:

RENTER

Reaction score
I have been reading all your posts and I have a few responses. But first let me introduce myself. I guess I am one of those mega renters other owners hate. Except I do not have 50 million points. Less then 5 million. Yes I was one of those who took advantage of the resales being attached to my VIP points and rented out almost all my points to help pay for my loan and maintenance fees.

At the same time, I was creation a winning situation for all involved. Myself, other owners and Wyndham. First of all, I generally waited until 60 days to book and took what other owners left for me. That is so I can take advantage of the discounts. So I did not prevent those who planned ahead from taking vacations.

Second, I shared my discounts with other owners, renting my points to them at the discounted prices. So if someone did not have enough points for a weeks vacation, I would tell them use their points for the cheaper midweek and use my discounts for the weekends.

Third, I would introduce hundreds of people renting from me to the Wyndham system and recommend Wyndham to them because Wyndham allowed me the opportunity to do this with their system. Because I generally booked weekends I used a lot of guest passes which brought in additional thousands to Wyndham because of the $99 I paid. I normally would not recommend timeshares but this system works for the little guy who wants to hustle.

But now I am so disgusted with the last minute changes like that occurred on 6/18 with the guest pass bans and the rule changes without people in, I will no longer recommend this company. I am assuming my day is coming and my account will be frozen. I do not care anymore. I will let them buy me out or hire a lawyer to fight them if they choose not to.

This change of opinion on Wyndham is a sad change of events because I had put in my will to leave my points to the Make A Wish Foundation and an Animal Rescue Group.

Now my reply to your comments. Many of the rent haters keep bringing up the word commercial. The IRS does not consider renting a commercial business. Home Owner Associations have tried to shut down short term rental sites by declaring them a commercial business. They constantly lose because the courts have declared them a residential rental. The State of Texas has banned Home Owner Associations from banning short term rentals because they are not a commercial business. A commercial business is if someone uses the room for paid massage, parties, filming and stuff like that.

Then there was the contract and it was argued that the contract prevents renting. No it does not. The contract says IT SHOULD be consider for personal use and not business use. It does not SAY IT MUST.

This next point is the main point I am going to use, if Wyndham closed me down and does not offer to buy me out. The rent haters say that Wyndham says you cannot rent. I will gladly take my chances with a jury who I believe will find it unfair that while Wyndham will not allow me to rent, they will allow me to rent thru them as long as I pay them a 40% commission.

Now for you rent haters who think you are going to have more availability. Sadly you will find out your wrong. I have already adapted to the changes and it is not helping you at all. As I said before I generally booked 60 days out. Now I can no longer get discount on resale points, it makes no sense for me to wait and now I am booking a year ahead of time. Also as I mentioned before, I generally book weekends. I assume others like me are doing the same, so that will be less full weeks for non renter owners to book.

Thus my booking early, I will have no more discount points to share with other owners. Thus my using more points, I will have the need for less guest passes to use so less paying $99 to Wyndham.

As for those rent haters who think they are winning because mega-renters are dumping their properties, think again. They are dumping their resorts that have high maintenance fees. No longer worth having them if you cannot get the discount on them. So if you own at one of those resorts with high maintenance fees, you will have very few buyers because everyone wants the low maintenance fee resorts. With low maintenance fees, you do not need discounts.

Personally I have not been hurt by these new rules. I live near several popular resorts so the guest pass bans have no effect on me. Since I no longer use the discounts, I raised my prices. In fact I was even thinking about buying more resale points to rent out a year ahead of time. But I want no more of Wyndham.

I enjoyed my time being in this system. I was able to meet many interesting people including people from all over the world who rented from me. But now I want out and hope they send me a buy out letter. I was able to grab some free vacation time while helping others have low cost vacations using those discounts.

I am tired of Wyndham changing the rules and I can no longer trust them. I am tired of hearing other owners whine they cannot get into Myrtle Beach on June 15th for July 10th. I am tired of the whining from jealous people who think that those who learned the rules and worked them to their advantage, cheated them out of a vacation.

I am content with the Red Roof Inn where I can bring my dog. I would have never bought into this system if not for us being allowed to rent.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been reading all your posts and I have a few responses.
There were similar cathartic posts in 2017 with the introduction of the automatic upgrades and Points Deposit replacement to the Credit Pool. Venting -- just one more benefit to TUG.

It certainly fell on deaf ears with Wyndham in 2017, which is where it matters.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I have been reading all your posts and I have a few responses. But first let me introduce myself. I guess I am one of those mega renters other owners hate. Except I do not have 50 million points. Less then 5 million. Yes I was one of those who took advantage of the resales being attached to my VIP points and rented out almost all my points to help pay for my loan and maintenance fees.

At the same time, I was creation a winning situation for all involved. Myself, other owners and Wyndham. First of all, I generally waited until 60 days to book and took what other owners left for me. That is so I can take advantage of the discounts. So I did not prevent those who planned ahead from taking vacations.

Second, I shared my discounts with other owners, renting my points to them at the discounted prices. So if someone did not have enough points for a weeks vacation, I would tell them use their points for the cheaper midweek and use my discounts for the weekends.

Third, I would introduce hundreds of people renting from me to the Wyndham system and recommend Wyndham to them because Wyndham allowed me the opportunity to do this with their system. Because I generally booked weekends I used a lot of guest passes which brought in additional thousands to Wyndham because of the $99 I paid. I normally would not recommend timeshares but this system works for the little guy who wants to hustle.

But now I am so disgusted with the last minute changes like that occurred on 6/18 with the guest pass bans and the rule changes without people in, I will no longer recommend this company. I am assuming my day is coming and my account will be frozen. I do not care anymore. I will let them buy me out or hire a lawyer to fight them if they choose not to.

This change of opinion on Wyndham is a sad change of events because I had put in my will to leave my points to the Make A Wish Foundation and an Animal Rescue Group.

Now my reply to your comments. Many of the rent haters keep bringing up the word commercial. The IRS does not consider renting a commercial business. Home Owner Associations have tried to shut down short term rental sites by declaring them a commercial business. They constantly lose because the courts have declared them a residential rental. The State of Texas has banned Home Owner Associations from banning short term rentals because they are not a commercial business. A commercial business is if someone uses the room for paid massage, parties, filming and stuff like that.

Then there was the contract and it was argued that the contract prevents renting. No it does not. The contract says IT SHOULD be consider for personal use and not business use. It does not SAY IT MUST.

This next point is the main point I am going to use, if Wyndham closed me down and does not offer to buy me out. The rent haters say that Wyndham says you cannot rent. I will gladly take my chances with a jury who I believe will find it unfair that while Wyndham will not allow me to rent, they will allow me to rent thru them as long as I pay them a 40% commission.

Now for you rent haters who think you are going to have more availability. Sadly you will find out your wrong. I have already adapted to the changes and it is not helping you at all. As I said before I generally booked 60 days out. Now I can no longer get discount on resale points, it makes no sense for me to wait and now I am booking a year ahead of time. Also as I mentioned before, I generally book weekends. I assume others like me are doing the same, so that will be less full weeks for non renter owners to book.

Thus my booking early, I will have no more discount points to share with other owners. Thus my using more points, I will have the need for less guest passes to use so less paying $99 to Wyndham.

As for those rent haters who think they are winning because mega-renters are dumping their properties, think again. They are dumping their resorts that have high maintenance fees. No longer worth having them if you cannot get the discount on them. So if you own at one of those resorts with high maintenance fees, you will have very few buyers because everyone wants the low maintenance fee resorts. With low maintenance fees, you do not need discounts.

Personally I have not been hurt by these new rules. I live near several popular resorts so the guest pass bans have no effect on me. Since I no longer use the discounts, I raised my prices. In fact I was even thinking about buying more resale points to rent out a year ahead of time. But I want no more of Wyndham.

I enjoyed my time being in this system. I was able to meet many interesting people including people from all over the world who rented from me. But now I want out and hope they send me a buy out letter. I was able to grab some free vacation time while helping others have low cost vacations using those discounts.

I am tired of Wyndham changing the rules and I can no longer trust them. I am tired of hearing other owners whine they cannot get into Myrtle Beach on June 15th for July 10th. I am tired of the whining from jealous people who think that those who learned the rules and worked them to their advantage, cheated them out of a vacation.

I am content with the Red Roof Inn where I can bring my dog. I would have never bought into this system if not for us being allowed to rent.
Great first post. I lost count of your use of “I” after 30. :)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Yeah, our legislature and governors have been a complete joke since the early 2000's... what we need is a heavy "migration tax" for anyone who moves here from out of state

How about just raising the hotel taxes so tourists support more of Florida’s needs?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
@RENTER, charities would not have wanted your points unless you were also going to will them the MF"s for 10+ years along with the points.

Things change and if you don't feel like dealing with it then now would be a good time to get out. Glad you have the RedRoof to look forward to.

troy12n

Reaction score
How about just raising the hotel taxes so tourists support more of Florida’s needs?

It's already pretty high... it's 6% on top of sales tax, which varies between 6-7% depending on county.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It's already pretty high... it's 6% on top of sales tax, which varies between 6-7% depending on county.

That does not sound high to me. 6% plus 6% to 7% sales tax, which everyone pays, is really low. Really, Florida needs a state tax.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dear Renter, It appears you are whining out of both sides of your mouth. Wyndham is not only about you and your so called, rental business. Wyndham is about the people who bought in for personal use and family vacations. Get out or stay in, who cares. I don't. I'm just happy personal commerce on the backs owners' vacation opportunities has ended. You have basically two choices, cut you loses and getting out or enjoy what Wyndham has to offer in term of personal and family vacations. If it's about the money, get a job, a job that doesn't take reservations opportunities away from owners for personal greed and commerce.

Wyndham won't buy you out nor will you win on court. Why would they buy you out? You bought in and helped create the mess you're in. Wyndham won't bail you out so suck it up and bail yourself out. And for the courts, your case will be dismissed before it gets to a jury and they'll bleed you dry in attorney fees and court costs, that is if you can find an attorney that wants not lose on court.

There is a balance in the university - ying and yang. Some win, some lose. It all washes out and rights itself in the end. You are one of those that have been winning. Now it's our turn. We'll win in terms of more availability at prime locations during high demand timeframes for personal use.

Reaction score
Wyndham's position that Mega Renters are taking away dates for other owners at Peak times! The real truth is, Wyndham got together with Expedia & VRBO & started a pilot program to rent Developer Inventory. Generally, Wyndham only rents delinquent inventory, generally! Wyndham is now putting 5 ads or more on the first page of VRBO and doing volume and I can tell you from my point of view, its way more than delinquent inventory! Wyndham will be taking all the inventory on these Peak Times that they say, that they want owners to utilize that they're supposedly taking away from Mega Renters. Also when you deposit your dates into Extra Holidays, it can be rented on Booking.com, Expedia, etc and the other sites are pilfering one night stays to add on days on an existing renters dates and overselling the resorts across the map. If you think more dates will be open with the elimination of Mega Renters, you're sadly mistaken. Wyndham loves to say Mega Renters are the cause of everything and I am sure they will continue to blame Mega Renters! Also, Wyndham Favors what they call a a paying customers first at all resorts, that's the renter who paid through Extra Holidays,Booking.com & Expedia! You can read these forums and I am sure some deem it as great information but most is not even close to the truth of what's going on. I also feel it's unfair to take shots at these Mega Renters! Mega Renters are Entrepreneurs. An owner is an owner in my eyes and if some of these Owners were smart enough to make a business out of their portfolio, I think its great! After all, they were created by the very beast that is trying to shut them down now, Wyndham Resorts!

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Wyndham's position that Mega Renters are taking away dates for other owners at Peak times! The real truth is, Wyndham got together with Expedia & VRBO & started a pilot program to rent Developer Inventory. Generally, Wyndham only rents delinquent inventory, generally! Wyndham is now putting 5 ads or more on the first page of VRBO and doing volume and I can tell you from my point of view, its way more than delinquent inventory! Wyndham will be taking all the inventory on these Peak Times that they say, that they want owners to utilize that they're supposedly taking away from Mega Renters. Also when you deposit your dates into Extra Holidays, it can be rented on Booking.com, Expedia, etc and the other sites are pilfering one night stays to add on days on an existing renters dates and overselling the resorts across the map. If you think more dates will be open with the elimination of Mega Renters, you're sadly mistaken. Wyndham loves to say Mega Renters are the cause of everything and I am sure they will continue to blame Mega Renters! Also, Wyndham Favors what they call a a paying customers first at all resorts, that's the renter who paid through Extra Holidays,Booking.com & Expedia! You can read these forums and I am sure some deem it as great information but most is not even close to the truth of what's going on. I also feel it's unfair to take shots at these Mega Renters! Mega Renters are Entrepreneurs. An owner is an owner in my eyes and if some of these Owners were smart enough to make a business out of their portfolio, I think its great! After all, they were created by the very beast that is trying to shut them down now, Wyndham Resorts!
An owner is an owner if they are using the product for themselves, friends and family. They become a competetor when they commericalize it. Wyndham specifically states that their product is not for commerical use of owners.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is just pissed because not matter what program they put in place, they get beat!
I could write a dissertation on how wrong you are on many levels, but I won't. I just state, you are wrong on many levels. And most importantly, the party is over.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I guess I am one of those mega renters other owners hate. Except I do not have 50 million points. Less then 5 million
Probably not, then.
I would have never bought into this system if not for us being allowed to rent.
If you knew enough before purchasing to know you'd be able to rent, then you should have known enough before purchasing to know Wyndham controls the rules.

Last edited: