• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Major Change to Wyndham VIP Program in Email 7/19/2021 [MERGED]

troy12n

Reaction score
Regarding "account adjustments", I would like to hope they take into account that some people have use years which start October 1. So any "adjustments" they make in the use year, I would hope they would allow for those to carry over to the new UY which starts in October, and not give the owner roughly a month and a half to use these "adjustments"... I'm a October-September UY account, but all my points are retail, so this doesn't affect me either way.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Regarding "account adjustments", I would like to hope they take into account that some people have use years which start October 1. So any "adjustments" they make in the use year, I would hope they would allow for those to carry over to the new UY which starts in October, and not give the owner roughly a month and a half to use these "adjustments"... I'm a October-September UY account, but all my points are retail, so this doesn't affect me either way.

Per the announcement - the complimentary points will be deposited into your next use year, not the current use year, so in your case - any complimentary points would be deposited into your 2022 use year beginning 10/1/2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I may book a high demand week/resort at 10 months strictly for the purpose of renting
I had to chuckle at this. There have been some who insist that (mega)renters have been booking massive numbers of ARP and 10-month reservations as soon as they're available, and while I'm not sure that was based on anything other than a gut feeling, here goes Wyndham making the best course of action be to book 10-month high-demand reservations for the purpose of renting. It certainly does seem like a smart thing to do with all of those outstanding resale points!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Wyndham hasn't undercharged for the reservations. They backfill the discounted points with developer owned points.

Backfilling the discounted points with developer-owned points means that the corporation that is the developer paid for maintenance fees on the points that weren't charged to the member that used them. That is fundamentally money out of the corporate accounts that their rules said they shouldn't have spent, which is what I was getting at - if I were a shareholder I would be unhappy with observing this and learning that for perhaps decades the company has been asleep at the wheel and giving discounts when the shouldn't have, which could be interpreted as undercharging, though, too be fair to the folks in that position they weren't given the option to pay full price and might have made different decisions on the transactions otherwise. There's the potential for this to be a problem for the company with its shareholders is what I'm getting at.

troy12n

Reaction score
Backfilling the discounted points with developer-owned points means that the corporation that is the developer paid for maintenance fees on the points that weren't charged to the member that used them. That is fundamentally money out of the corporate accounts that their rules said they shouldn't have spent, which is what I was getting at - if I were a shareholder I would be unhappy with observing this and learning that for perhaps decades the company has been asleep at the wheel and giving discounts when the shouldn't have, which could be interpreted as undercharging, though, too be fair to the folks in that position they weren't given the option to pay full price and might have made different decisions on the transactions otherwise. There's the potential for this to be a problem for the company with its shareholders is what I'm getting at.

Along those same lines, Wyndham corporate just shelled out a lot of money for the "Travel and Leisure" brand... That money had to come from somewhere, and maybe someone in corporate decided that they could no longer "look the other way" as all this money was going out the door either directly (as you referenced) or indirectly (pseudo wanna-be landlord renters) and they want all of it. Can't say I blame them... I don't know of any other industry that allows these sorts of shenanigans.

Edit also: I don't see how that money they spent on T&L could ever make sense, but i'm not a Harvard Blue Blood MBA... so I digress

VacayKat

Reaction score
If you don't typically look at your Tx history - go back and look at it again after running through it initially. I saw some odd behavior back a couple weeks ago when I went looking for some older transactions. When initially loading the Tx history - it was completely jacked up. I went back in like 30 minutes later and looked at my transaction history again - and it was fine at that point. From what I could tell - the data from the back end doesn't populate in entirety right away - and the browser therefore may only show a subset of the data on initial load. The problem resolved itself within 30 minutes IME.
I wish- I look at transition history probably every other day. It's never resolved itself. I'm just trusting that the running total on the top is right at this point. I have 2 use years that literally have no transactions in them at this point and a third that sort of has some (hence the large amount in the hole) I micromanaged the previous years points so I know even without seeing transactions there isn't a problem. This year's transactions are a little more problematic as we've had a lot of reserved vacations be cancelled and rebooked because family seems to think that changing their mind is a fun activity.
But what I was getting at is the timing of the transaction problems seem to line up with when it was likely that IT had to start implementing some of the intended changes on their end. My hope is that things will improve once they actually launch the changes, but not holding my breath.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Along those same lines, Wyndham corporate just shelled out a lot of money for the "Travel and Leisure" brand... That money had to come from somewhere, and maybe someone in corporate decided that they could no longer "look the other way" as all this money was going out the door either directly (as you referenced) or indirectly (pseudo wanna-be landlord renters) and they want all of it. Can't say I blame them... I don't know of any other industry that allows these sorts of shenanigans.

Edit also: I don't see how that money they spent on T&L could ever make sense, but i'm not a Harvard Blue Blood MBA... so I digress

The T&L brand also has a well known discount subscription travel service with a roughly 50k member roll. Note those important words that apply to most modern day transactions: a subscription travel service - paid monthly as opposed to the aging model of paying large sums of money in advance, coupled with large monthly outlays for MFs. I believe this purchase was strategic in nature in moving more toward travel subscription models as opposed to the legacy timeshare models that exist today.

VacayKat

Reaction score
This worries me as well. Like I've mentioned before the proportion of points we have resale is small, but due to banking of points from 2 previous use years to this one, we have slightly less than double our points for this year. *If* Wyndham decides that all of those banked points are VIP points (which we have more than enough in each use year to make that a reasonable expectation) and *If* Wyndham decides that all the points we have used to book current reservations are with VIP from this year, we still have left over VIP points along with our bucket of resale points. Our use year is better than yours since it just moved over in July and if Wyndham makes the assumptions I made then it should be ok, but if they go back to the two previous use years and try to determine which points we banked it's going to be a PITA.
On the other hand, if all the points being banked to the future go with the certain account they were banked from, I might finally have a case for using more than my yearly allowed points at outrigger properties since their argument had been that they had no idea what points I banked or where they came from, so no way you could use more than your yearly allotment. [yes I know this last one is wishful thinking and my head is fully submerged in the sands of denial}

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The T&L brand also has a well known discount subscription travel service with a roughly 50k member roll. Note those important words that apply to most modern day transactions: a subscription travel service - paid monthly as opposed to the aging model of paying large sums of money in advance, coupled with large monthly outlays for MFs. I believe this purchase was strategic in nature in moving more toward travel subscription models as opposed to the legacy timeshare models that exist today.

This was the target. Note that upon purchase, they immediately leased publishing operations back.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
This worries me as well. Like I've mentioned before the proportion of points we have resale is small, but due to banking of points from 2 previous use years to this one, we have slightly less than double our points for this year. *If* Wyndham decides that all of those banked points are VIP points (which we have more than enough in each use year to make that a reasonable expectation) and *If* Wyndham decides that all the points we have used to book current reservations are with VIP from this year, we still have left over VIP points along with our bucket of resale points. Our use year is better than yours since it just moved over in July and if Wyndham makes the assumptions I made then it should be ok, but if they go back to the two previous use years and try to determine which points we banked it's going to be a PITA.
On the other hand, if all the points being banked to the future go with the certain account they were banked from, I might finally have a case for using more than my yearly allowed points at outrigger properties since their argument had been that they had no idea what points I banked or where they came from, so no way you could use more than your yearly allotment. [yes I know this last one is wishful thinking and my head is fully submerged in the sands of denial}
No worries. Trust that Wyndham cares and will make it all balance out!

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
Agreed. I try my best not to stir the pot - and I try to practice using the Ignore function With respect to my own account, I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to adapt, but here's how my ownership breaks down right now:

Well for someone who isn't sure, I'd say your plan hits the nail right on the head. Anyone else who has a mixed account should read Hitchiker's post above for a smart approach to take.

I've always been resale only so I've learned those same things. If I were a VIP/Resale owner, my general rule would be to try to use my resale points earlier in the use year when possible, and by all means try not to use them for stays of less than a week or maybe six days. HK's are really the only concern. The new system calls for 1 HK per stay, so 1 day or 14 days is the same cost. A studio and a 4 bedroom are now the same cost. Obviously you should try to use resale points for those two categories.

I would try to use my resales earlier in the use year to preserve my VIP flexibility for later in the year.

If you're successful in this, you'll probably have enough HK's starting the year that you would never need to buy any more. And at $159 per pop, that's the goal.

I wouldn't worry about RT's. In fact I don't worry about them now. At the end of most years I've usually had to buy 2 or 3 (or 5) , but at $19 (online) I don't care, if it allows me to get what I want. I tend to make speculative bookings at 10 months out, and as the time approaches, I often find a reservation I want more, so I just cancel and rebook.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
It just came to mind, mixed owners, that late "points pool" deposit of your resale points will also be disabled.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
Question, if you book a reservation with resale points, and then cancel, do you get the HK token/charge back? I’m not concerned about the RT’s at $19, but the HK hit is enough to notice.

VacayKat

Reaction score
It just came to mind, mixed owners, that late "points pool" deposit of your resale points will also be disabled.
Gah. That was a huge perk of VIP - not having to think about when I had to deposit points by. Super glad you thought of that, I don't know I would have.
Recommend everyone put a reminder on their calendar for a few days before the deadline for both sets of points as soon as things go live. You don't want to miss those deadlines.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gah. That was a huge perk of VIP - not having to think about when I had to deposit points by. Super glad you thought of that, I don't know I would have.
Recommend everyone put a reminder on their calendar for a few days before the deadline for both sets of points as soon as things go live. You don't want to miss those deadlines.
Any and all VIP benefits along with PR units will not be able to be used with resale points. Deposit feature along with free HK'S, VIP discounts, VIP free upgrades, Presidential Reserve suites and the VIP check in line also will not be available when using resale points.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

Yep, for resale points - it’ll be the same three month window that all resale owners have. This is a good reason to burn up resale points on the larger ARP or 10 month reservations for larger units. Less concern about having leftover resale points later in the year to use up or move to RCI.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting if they prorate the points on these account adjustments. I hope shareholders don't take it on the chin again and they give away points for free like they did with resale points being used with VIP benefits.

troy12n

Reaction score
Something I didn't think about until right now, and I wonder if it would matter, but I would like to hope that any VIP points moved to a future use year don't get stripped of their VIP benefits. That would be beyond nit picky...

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Something I didn't think about until right now, and I wonder if it would matter, but I would like to hope that any VIP points moved to a future use year don't get stripped of their VIP benefits. That would be beyond nit picky...

If you are referring to points deposits, this is covered by the webpage, 7th bullet point in the graphic attached for reference.

d9daa5405302205730c5ec215967fdd9.jpg

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
On your My Ownership page on the current version of the website, do those who own Resale contracts see any indication that a contract is flagged as resale now? There is more info here than there used to be, but just curious if it is showing flagged as resale anywhere yet.

VacayKat

Reaction score
On your My Ownership page on the current version of the website, do those who own Resale contracts see any indication that a contract is flagged as resale now? There is more info here than there used to be, but just curious if it is showing flagged as resale anywhere yet.
No. And there is pretty much no info about my contracts. Newest info on there are the financials and that isnt all that new.

As I mentioned earlier - the certified exit folks don’t even seem to see that as default. If you don’t know the details of each contract they either can’t or are unwilling to dig in to help you. Might be different if you hound them.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I’m not seeing anything different on mine so far. I have 2 resale contracts plus a 450k CWA contract purchased from Wyndham. All the information on all 3 contracts is the same as it has always been.