• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
[redacted to comply with forum rules.] I let the birth of my newest little one distract me from banking my SO in time, also slightly blame COVID for the distraction too. All set to expire Dec 31st, 2020. [redacted to comply with forum rules.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yikes. I believe that you may book a reservation for this year, then cancel, and the SOs will be usable next year (though only for reservations within 120 days).

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
Yikes. I believe that you may book a reservation for this year, then cancel, and the SOs will be usable next year (though only for reservations within 120 days).
Well, there are only about 120 days until the end of the year... But I'm curious about the future, can you tell me how this works?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Well, there are only about 120 days until the end of the year... But I'm curious about the future, can you tell me how this works?

There have been other posts here about this... I haven't done it. It's not 120 days for this year that matters... I believe if you make a reservation for this year, wait a week, then cancel it, then you will have restricted SOs that can be used next year but only for reservations within 120 days of the time of booking. Look here for more info: https://www.vistana.com/covid-19

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ken is correct:
Make a reservation during the next 60 days that uses up all of the 2020 Staroptions. (online)
You are going to cancel it, so it doesn't matter what resort it is.
Wait [2 days] and cancel the reservation. (online)
The Staroptions will automatically be available in 2021.
When you look at your online account you will see the restricted Staroptions listed as available in 2020 and 2021 - that's correct.
The reservation window will open 120 days before your desired check-in date and will expire at the end of 2021.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As Ken mentions, there is a book & cancel trick to get your StarOptions extended till 12/31/2021, though with a 120 day restricted booking window. The key is that you need to cancel inside of 60 days from checkin in order for this to work. So you book something that is 60 days or less in advance. Cancel online a few days later and voila,, new 12/31/2021 expiration. Keep in mind the restriction of 120 day booking on the extended points. Still better than losing them. I would say to do it sooner rather than later. I think their current policy is now only through 9/30.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
Do you have Elite-Status with Vistana?

3* & 4* can Bank up until Oct 1st.
5* can Bank up until Dec 31st.

Once banked these Star-Options are valid for 2 more years.
E.g. Banked 2020-SO can be used to book something 8-Months prior until Dec 31st 2022.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
[redacted to comply with forum rules.] I let the birth of my newest little one distract me from banking my SO in time, also slightly blame COVID for the distraction too. All set to expire Dec 31st, 2020. [redacted to comply with forum rules.] Best suggestions... besides... dude you're out of luck. :(
dude, you are out of luck!

Just kidding, congrats on your new addition to your family! I just want to point out, for a while the 120 day restriction may not be as bad as it sounds, a lot of people do not plan on travelling in the next 9-12 months and you may still get something very decent. It all depends how fast life will go back to normality if a vaccine is indeed successful. If I were in that position I would try to book in the first half of 2021. Given you are a younger family, you are probably not in the high risk category (although the baby may change that calculation) and you could venture before some who are much older than you.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I can’t see the redacted first post to know exactly what DreamingOfKauai wants out of the lost reservation. Why not deposit the week in Interval and use the lockoff for two weeks through 2022? With a new baby, Mom and Dad could use a few extra vacations, right?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
As Ken mentions, there is a book & cancel trick to get your StarOptions extended till 12/31/2021, though with a 120 day restricted booking window. The key is that you need to cancel inside of 60 days from checkin in order for this to work. So you book something that is 60 days or less in advance. Cancel online a few days later and voila,, new 12/31/2021 expiration. Keep in mind the restriction of 120 day booking on the extended points. Still better than losing them. I would say to do it sooner rather than later. I think their current policy is now only through 9/30.
Can you explain the restriction of 120 day booking? I'm not sure what you mean.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Can you explain the restriction of 120 day booking? I'm not sure what you mean.

You would only be able to book within 120 days of the date you make the reservation. SO reservations normally are up to eight months in future, restricted SOs like these will only be available to book up to four months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
I'm going to try what many of you suggested. I hope it doesn't throw a wrench in the plans that, part of my 190k points are banked options from 2018 and 2019 options that I didn't bank in time because I waited too long before attending to these points. I've already booked 2021 points for a trip in July, hope travel is safe for my wife and me to escape.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
You would only be able to book within 120 days of the date you make the reservation. SO reservations normally are up to eight months in future, restricted SOs like these will only be available to book up to four months.

Thanks, that helps. Man, COVID has made these plans so complicated.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
On the Vistana Dashboard, I don't see an option to convert Options to Bonvoy loyalty points (I only see "bank", which I can't do, and "Interval"). I know the exchange isn't the greatest but it might be the best option for us right now.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
On the Vistana Dashboard, I don't see an option to convert Options to Bonvoy loyalty points (I only see "bank", which I can't do, and "Interval"). I know the exchange isn't the greatest but it might be the best option for us right now.

Why are you even considering this now? I thought you just agreed to book SO, then cancel, etc as recommended.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm going to try what many of you suggested. I hope it doesn't throw a wrench in the plans that, part of my 190k points are banked options from 2018 and 2019 options that I didn't bank in time because I waited too long before attending to these points. I've already booked 2021 points for a trip in July, hope travel is safe for my wife and me to escape.

I have no idea what they will do with banked options that are expiring in 2020. Perhaps someone else can provide some input on this. My guess is that they will allow it to be used in 2021 just like the other restricted SOs. Check Vistana cancel policy for details.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
Why are you even considering this now? I thought you just agreed to book SO, then cancel, etc as recommended.

Because Bonvoy points would allow me to book something much closer in distance than the Vistana Resorts. Being in Illinois the resorts are all equally far away from me, which is a good thing normally.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have no idea what they will do with banked options that are expiring in 2020. Perhaps someone else can provide some input on this. My guess is that they will allow it to be used in 2021 just like the other restricted SOs. Check Vistana cancel policy for details.

Booked and cancelled points that were banked and expiring in 2020 have the same cancellation policy. They would be good through 2021.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Because Bonvoy points would allow me to book something much closer in distance than the Vistana Resorts. Being in Illinois the resorts are all equally far away from me, which is a good thing normally.
Whatever your status, if you've passed your deadline for banking then you are definitely beyond your deadline for conversion to Bonvoy.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Booked and cancelled points that were banked and expiring in 2020 have the same cancellation policy. They would be good through 2021.
This is excellent news. I have a bunch of expiring banked options that I have booked for Thanksgiving period but we really don't want to travel this year.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I can confirm this. I had a small amount (18k) left of banked SO with a 2020 expiry. When I cancelled a reservation within 60 days they came back as restricted SO with a 2021 expiry. They are listed separately from the banked 2021 SO that I used for the same reservation - so they have tracked where the RO are coming from.

I would not try using your SO that are banked from 2019. These already have an expiry In 2021 and are unrestricted. I would only try this “book and cancel” trick for your 2018 SO and unbanked 2020 options.

If you are trying to convert to Bonvoy points you are way too late for this as well. Non-elite members haven’t convert their week by March 31 of the use year.

Andrearr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages (Bella) Vistana
[This would be a good time to use a private message.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrearr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages (Bella) Vistana
[This would be a good time to use a private message.]

yeah well now I can't see my original comments to copy and paste.
also other members may be able to benefit from the idea as an alternative to RSO and pushing to 2021.
also found out that since the hotel booking is with SOs it won't require conversion which means its still a viable option for the current year.

is there a way you can send me my original comment in a msg so I can copy and paste in a private message to the poster.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Buying/selling/renting are not permitted in the discussion forums.

[redacted]

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Not to muddle the discussion but you can make hotel reservations with StarOptions through the VSN Select program. You don't have the full gamut of Marriott hotels but the option to make hotel reservations with StarOptions is available. It's located on the owner's Dashboard under VSN Select.