• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
For 33 states, increases are noted in their seven-day average of new infections

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 3.00.52 PM.png

Covid-19 cases are accelerating around the country, reaching new daily highs in states including Texas and Arizona and spurring concerns about prospects for an economic and social revival.

Thirty-three states, from Oklahoma to South Carolina and Washington, had a seven-day average of new cases on Tuesday that was higher than their average during the past two weeks, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of Johns Hopkins University data. That was the situation in 21 states at the start of the month, so the data reflect recent increases in new cases.....Click on article link about for more information.

Brett

Reaction score
For 33 states, increases are noted in their seven-day average of new infections

View attachment 22498

Covid-19 cases are accelerating around the country, reaching new daily highs in states including Texas and Arizona and spurring concerns about prospects for an economic and social revival.

Thirty-three states, from Oklahoma to South Carolina and Washington, had a seven-day average of new cases on Tuesday that was higher than their average during the past two weeks, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of Johns Hopkins University data. That was the situation in 21 states at the start of the month, so the data reflect recent increases in new cases.....Click on article link about for more information.

might as well add North Carolina to the list
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article243760267.html

northc.jpg

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When I look at the maps showing where cases are rising I feel like we are in a little bubble here in New Mexico. We supposedly have a 14 days quarantine, but only for those flying in. People can drive in from Texas and Arizona with no problems. So many Texans in the state right now. So many Texans, not wearing masks.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I look at the maps showing where cases are rising I feel like we are in a little bubble here in New Mexico. We supposedly have a 14 days quarantine, but only for those flying in. People can drive in from Texas and Arizona with no problems. So many Texans in the state right now. So many Texans, not wearing masks.
A huge number of the Texas "spike" is from mass testing and finally reporting results of prisons-where a large majority of the new cases are coming from. That and packing plants are clusters that get counted and suddenly recorded. As big as Texas is, with as high a prison population it's not surprising really.

But what the heck is happening in Arizona??

mdditt2000

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
Was in Scottsdale last week for vacation. I was the only person wearing a mask. I think people simply forgot about Covid. Now it’s a wake up call, hopefully AZ gets these numbers under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jme

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A huge number of the Texas "spike" is from mass testing and finally reporting results of prisons-where a large majority of the new cases are coming from. That and packing plants are clusters that get counted and suddenly recorded. As big as Texas is, with as high a prison population it's not surprising really.

But what the heck is happening in Arizona??
Do you have any data to back up mass testing. If that were the case the positivity rate would go down or stay the same. In fact it has gone from 4 to 10.4 % over the last few weeks. Here is my source...the texas department of health.

then go to the positive rate tab at the bottom

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hospital tracker and it actually divides covid and non-covid out -

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have any data to back up mass testing. If that were the case the positivity rate would go down or stay the same. In fact it has gone from 4 to 10.4 % over the last few weeks. Here is my source...the texas department of health.

then go to the positive rate tab at the bottom
yeah google it - tons of articles come up about the prison testing and that the results didn't start getting reported until late May. And that include prison staff/clusters of friends/family too. When you read the article 3/4 of the way the reporters even have to admit the results are because of testing clusters. Doesn't mean there isn't community spread-however it IS important to know where and from which group the clusters are testing positive in high rates. If you know you have neighbors that work in prisons then you may be at increased risk in that community. I just don't get why that information isn't reported more often and maybe people would do better about following guidelines to keep community spread down. Instead it is all fear-all the time and people get TIRED of that - so you see the rebellion of no guidelines being followed.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah google it - tons of articles come up about the prison testing and that the results didn't start getting reported until late May. And that include prison staff/clusters of friends/family too. When you read the article 3/4 of the way the reporters even have to admit the results are because of testing clusters. Doesn't mean there isn't community spread-however it IS important to know where and from which group the clusters are testing positive in high rates. If you know you have neighbors that work in prisons then you may be at increased risk in that community. I just don't get why that information isn't reported more often and maybe people would do better about following guidelines to keep community spread down. Instead it is all fear-all the time and people get TIRED of that - so you see the rebellion of no guidelines being followed.
I posted actual department of health data. While prisons may be a hot spot are they not cases. :shrug:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We hit a record number of cases today. Most ever. The Governor dropped back to 'phase III' from IV- virtually open. To- bars closed, crowd limits of 10, masks in public, but curiously, theaters open. I don't make the rules.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did google it and they reported them on May 21. How does that effect junes numbers????? Since May's numbers were pretty good for Texas it seems this is a non factor.

Please post data not google it.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
To be expected. Nice weather will not help.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
To be expected. Nice weather will not help.
We've known for a long time nice weather doesn't do anything to stop the virus. All it does is get more people out.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Washington state is increasing too. Some counties are at Phase 3 of 4. The most populous one, where I am, just reached Phase 2. Another county is in our local news cause of their 2nd highest positive number of cases.
One of their main hospitals is full up and transferring Covid cases to their sister hospital in Seattle.

We now have a governor's statewide mandate to wear masks in public, with the usual exceptions.

I took a short pause on my mask making for friends, family and patients at DD's clinic. I'm gonna gear up again :cautious:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I dont get why people need so many masks. I wear the same mask over and over again. I clean it after each use. As long as I don’t lose it it will last for a long time.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We've known for a long time nice weather doesn't do anything to stop the virus. All it does is get more people out.

And being outside in fresh air and sun helps people’s physical and mental health. People can’t stay in 24 hours per day. I’ve been outside since March/April. People can be outside safely.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
And being outside in fresh air and sun helps people’s physical and mental health. People can’t stay in 24 hours per day. I’ve been outside since March/April. People can be outside safely.
I never said they couldn't. I go outside regularly.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If 95% of people wear masks, tens of thousands of lives could be saved, model shows

If nearly everyone wears masks in public, tens of thousands of lives could be saved during the coronavirus pandemic, an updated forecast from the University of Washington predicted.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation’s (IHME) model, which is often cited by the White House, predicted that more than 179,000 people in the U.S. will die from COVID-19 by Oct. 1, U.S. News reported. But the model also showed the number of deaths would fall to about 146,000 if 95% of the population wore masks in public, according to KIRO.....

Read more here:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the main reason for the surge in cases is that people are getting together in big gatherings, at restaurants, at stores, together with family and friends, etc. without social distancing or wearing masks. When everyone was staying home, of course the virus would not spread. How could it? No one was in contact. Then the states reopened without clear guidance and boom, the cases went up because everyone thought it was safe to be social again. This is to be expected. We can’t stay home until 2021 or longer until there is a vaccine or treatment. The government needs a coordinated strategy and clear messaging and clear mandates if we are to get the cases rates back down. They are beating Covid in other countries. Other countries are reopening and cases are not soaring. Why can‘t the USA reopen safely?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Willing to be there are a lot of people from New Mexico not wearing masks too...

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Not being politically correct. With all the large gatherings of protesters, shouting and close contact, the Virus has spread and the age of new covid 19 cases has gone to average 33 years old. We wear masks whenever we go out.
Social distanced from everyone, and it’s not getting better. Please don’t under estimate this contagious virus.
Stay safe and healthy.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Willing to be there are a lot of people from New Mexico not wearing masks too...
Sure there are. But, our governor has mandated masks are to be worn. We are opening up slowly. I have personally noticed a lot of people wearing masks when I'm out. Unfortunately many of those not wearing masks are tourists.
My bff lives in Florida. She is personally pretty upset with how things are being handled there and the number of people not wearing masks there.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I posted actual department of health data. While prisons may be a hot spot are they not cases. :shrug:

I am a bit confused on the bolded point @bluehende but if you mean prisons cases can spill over into the community at large, Arkansas is living proof of this. Poultry processors, retirement homes and prisons are our largest source of COVID-19 cases in the state. Once the virus enters a facility, not only does it run through the residents (or inmates) but also the staff carries the virus to the outside world. I suspect this is the case everywhere. And as @silentg notes below, the timing of the protests was idiotic and needlessly increased an already bad situation.

We hit a record number of cases today. Most ever. The Governor dropped back to 'phase III' from IV- virtually open. To- bars closed, crowd limits of 10, masks in public, but curiously, theaters open. I don't make the rules.

@Passepartout - that is something our Governor Hutchinson has been asked on more than one occassion (what would it take for our state to back up a level) and his answers (to this point anyway) have been dismissive of that possibility. I can understand not wanting to return restrictions to businesses already hurting (hemorrhaging in some cases, closed in others) but the situation in Arkansas is getting worse as we attempt to return to pre COVID-19 operating conditions. It appears we are not alone in this trend.

There are no easy answers here, but insisting on moving toward total reopening in the face of current developments is madness.

Not being politically correct. With all the large gatherings of protesters, shouting and close contact, the Virus has spread and the age of new covid 19 cases has gone to average 33 years old. We wear masks whenever we go out.
Social distanced from everyone, and it’s not getting better. Please don’t under estimate this contagious virus.
Stay safe and healthy.

Protestors, rioters and looters have indeed added gasoline to the COVID-19 problem (and other problems) but I doubt those groups have any hint of introspective reflection in their skill set.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I dont get why people need so many masks. I wear the same mask over and over again. I clean it after each use. As long as I don’t lose it it will last for a long time.

I'm not sure what your using to clean your mask, but we're washing ours. If I'm running errands to a several places, I'll put on a new mask at each new place I drive to. I was using 2 masks for a long time, but recently upped to 3. I've made at least 6-8 for DD for her workplace. I'm WFH.

Status
Not open for further replies.