• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm not sure what your using to clean your mask, but we're washing ours. If I'm running errands to a several places, I'll put on a new mask at each new place I drive to. I was using 2 masks for a long time, but recently upped to 3. I've made at least 6-8 for DD for her workplace. I'm WFH.
We wash our masks as well. We have 3 each and we also have disposable masks. I used one of those when I got my hair cut and colored.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Protestors, rioters and looters have indeed added gasoline to the COVID-19 problem (and other problems) but I doubt those groups have any hint of introspective reflection in their skill set.
Of the protests I've seen many of those participating have been wearing masks. Much more so than at the recent political rallies.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Of the protests I've seen many of those participating have been wearing masks. Much more so than at the recent political rallies.

I will add them to my list of scorn as well - it is entirely brain dead to be holding a political rally - or any rally of any kind - at this time.
Entirely unnecessary.

I feel my Agent K quote coming back soon.....

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused on the bolded point @bluehende but if you mean prisons cases can spill over into the community at large, Arkansas is living proof of this. Poultry processors, retirement homes and prisons are our largest source of COVID-19 cases in the state. Once the virus enters a facility, not only does it run through the residents (or inmates) but also the staff carries the virus to the outside world. I suspect this is the case everywhere. And as
All I am saying is that a case in a prison system is no less a case than one elsewhere. There was an implication in the post I was answering that somehow a prisoner getting the virus does not count. If you are interested the John Oliver this week addressed this exact problem.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
All I am saying is that a case in a prison system is no less a case than one elsewhere. There was an implication in the post I was answering that somehow a prisoner getting the virus does not count. If you are interested the John Oliver this week addressed this exact problem.
I am watching this now @bluehende - I can tell you John Oliver misrepresented / distorted / underreported what Dr. Nate Smith said about prison populations because Dr. Smith has been reminding every one continuously about how this virus easily reaches communities due to the people that work at these facilities spreading the virus.

Nonetheless, congregate facilities of all types are potential sources for flare ups of COVID-19 and if we do not address them, they will become a major source of virus transmission.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am watching this now @bluehende - I can tell you John Oliver misrepresented / distorted / underreported what Dr. Nate Smith said about prison populations because Dr. Smith has been reminding every one continuously about how this virus easily reaches communities due to the people that work at these facilities spreading the virus.

Nonetheless, congregate facilities of all types are potential sources for flare ups of COVID-19 and if we do not address them, they will become a major source of virus transmission.
Maybe his point on community spread from prisons just registered more with me, but I thought that was one of the main points.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Do you have any data to back up mass testing. If that were the case the positivity rate would go down or stay the same. In fact it has gone from 4 to 10.4 % over the last few weeks. Here is my source...the texas department of health.

then go to the positive rate tab at the bottom

Our Yakima County Health Department has been covid 19 testing about 500 people each day. This testing results with between 100 - 200 positive results each day. We are still in phase 1 and starting this Friday masks will be required every where. More testing = more positive results = more restrictions.

Bill

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
NY, NJ and CT require travelers from states with high coronavirus rates to quarantine for two weeks

Still, Dr. Richard Besser, former acting director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said no state has yet effectively reopened its economy safely.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm not sure what your using to clean your mask, but we're washing ours. If I'm running errands to a several places, I'll put on a new mask at each new place I drive to. I was using 2 masks for a long time, but recently upped to 3. I've made at least 6-8 for DD for her workplace. I'm WFH.

All I do is wipe it down with soap and water (if I even do ti at all) and leave it on my dashboard for the next trip out.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've known for a long time nice weather doesn't do anything to stop the virus. All it does is get more people out.

Exactly it is the nice weather getting people out and together. I try to keep my house and car windows open as much as possible. Not easy when living in a sauna.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Re: Mask Cleaning
We found a UV light bulb in our basement so put our 2 N-95 masks, also discovered in the basement, under that. We found an 80% alcohol antiseptic spray at our grocery store we've been using to sanitize masks in the car between stores. We are machine washing cloth masks. I've taken to wearing bandanas with a coffee filter folded into the triangle too.

It continues to irk me that so many are not wearing masks. For example we went to one of our favorite restaurants to dine on their patio. Reservations are not taken for the patio so we needed to go into the lobby to put our names on the waiting list and then wait outdoors to be called. Clearly posted on the entrance door were signs requiring masks to be worn INSIDE. There was even a hand sanitizer dispenser on the outer doors. But numerous folk blithely entered maskless. When we were called and led thru the restaurant to the patio, I commented to the masked hostess about the unmasked she encountered and that I was concerned for her. She emphatically agreed and said that her other job was at a hospital so there was even more risk to her and others thanks to the thoughtless.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I read this this morning:

“Lowest reported deaths from #coronavirus on a Wednesday since before the pandemic began.“

“To be clear, in Houston, the percentage of beds occupied by COVID patients is currently 12.9%. In Austin, the percentage of beds occupied by COVID patients is 10.2%.” Carrie Williams, Texas Hospital Association.

I think there is a lot of lying going on in the press and by some government officials. Something is not right with all the conflicting info.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
But what the heck is happening in Arizona??
Beats me. LOL. Except my priest reported this was expected. We were predicted to peak in June. It's hardly "high season" for us - in some ways. We do depend on tourism, but our weather is more inviting in cooler months.
Our rules have been revised. We are required to wear masks now.

Brett

Reaction score

“Lowest reported deaths from #coronavirus on a Wednesday since before the pandemic began.“

“To be clear, in Houston, the percentage of beds occupied by COVID patients is currently 12.9%. In Austin, the percentage of beds occupied by COVID patients is 10.2%.” Carrie Williams, Texas Hospital Association.

I think there is a lot of lying going on in the press and by some government officials. Something is not right with all the conflicting info.

Maybe it's your particular internet source of the "lying" press or lying "government official" .....

From today's Wall Street Journal June 25, 2020 .... are they part of the "lying" conspiracy ?

virus.jpg

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
106590718-1593037499628-20200624_case_subplots_ny_quarantine_v3-01.png

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

Actually this makes perfect sense. The lowest single day of infections was June 1. Death is a lagging indicator that happens 3 to 5 weeks after infection. It makes perfect sense with that lag that deaths are low right now. The delay comes from 7 to 14 days before symptoms. Early I heard that the normal progression if it was going south was 7 to 10 days from that until hospitalization. Then 1 week before ICU. Then an average of 21 days on a respirator before death. I have not heard any news on whether this has changed but certainly you do not get the diagnosis and keel over that day.

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
In many cities the contact tracers were not allowed to ask those who tested positive if they had attended the protests. We will never know if the increase is due to the protests or to opening up the economy.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I have never seen any of the "lying" press claim that the current death rate is high. (Perhaps I read too many liberal news media.) I have seen "concern" (note, not stated as fact) that death statistics tend to rise several weeks after a surge in cases.

Occupied beds is very different from beds in the ICU or beds especially set aside for coVid 19 patients. The number of beds currently occupied in many hospitals is currently low (as often reported by the press) in that people are reluctant to go into hospitals out of fear of being exposed to patients with coVid 19.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
The wave was expected, so why are people surprised?

I agree. No one predicted that the numbers would fall.

That being said, I have been surprised at how people do not take precautions, E.g. the lack of masks that has caused our county, and several others in Florida, to mandate them. People are acting as if it’s over.

The bad news is that the numbers are rising and some hospitals are starting to fill up. The good news, yes there is a silver lining, is that we will reach herd immunity (assuming it exists for this disease) much sooner if folks keep up these lax practices.

It’s all the more important that those at higher risk and/or those are highly concerned about catching it, continue to follow all the guidelines, and stay at home (indoors and out) unless they have no choice. In the end, you can only control your own behavior.

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually this makes perfect sense. The lowest single day of infections was June 1. Death is a lagging indicator that happens 3 to 5 weeks after infection. It makes perfect sense with that lag that deaths are low right now. The delay comes from 7 to 14 days before symptoms. Early I heard that the normal progression if it was going south was 7 to 10 days from that until hospitalization. Then 1 week before ICU. Then an average of 21 days on a respirator before death. I have not heard any news on whether this has changed but certainly you do not get the diagnosis and keel over that day.
It is going to take time, indeed. However, do we have data that shows who got infected more recently? I read it is younger people so the deaths do not necessarily have to follow, at least not in the same proportion. The older people can take the matter in their hands, continue to isolate and stay safe.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting article from the Wall Street Journal about the rise in the number of cases. It is probably behind a firewall, but a couple of highlights.

The article contains graphs showing how the percentage of tests revealing positive cases is very much on the rise. The rise can be noted even when one compares the seven day versus fourteen day average. This would seem to indicate it is not just a matter of more testing.

There is also a chart showing in which states the percentage of cases testing positive is the highest. It lists all the states that are above the current national average of 5.5%. Arizona leads the way with about 22% testing positive followed by SC, Florida, Utah, Missippee, Texas (at 12%). The surprise here for me is that California is not among the states listed. Apparently, while they currently have a very high number of cases, that is partly due to the fact that it is a very populous state.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is a textbook example of how to distort facts - while the data source at least acknowledges they have distorted, er adjusted, the scales, that simply is not necessary.
Present the data - on the same scale throughout - and let the data speak on its own.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
An interesting article from the Wall Street Journal about the rise in the number of cases. It is probably behind a firewall, but a couple of highlights.

The article contains graphs showing how the percentage of tests revealing positive cases is very much on the rise. The rise can be noted even when one compares the seven day versus fourteen day average. This would seem to indicate it is not just a matter of more testing.

There is also a chart showing in which states the percentage of cases testing positive is the highest. It lists all the states that are above the current national average of 5.5%. Arizona leads the way with about 22% testing positive followed by SC, Florida, Utah, Missippee, Texas (at 12%). The surprise here for me is that California is not among the states listed. Apparently, while they currently have a very high number of cases, that is partly due to the fact that it is a very populous state.

Since no state anywhere is even remotely close to testing a significant portion of its population with a quick turnaround, in many cases, test are being administered in areas where the virus is breaking out. Positivity rates can be nefariously impacted if a government chooses where to test with PR implications in mind.

The point here is if we want reliable data, we have to reliably test a much larger segment of the population on a regular and quick basis.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a textbook example of how to distort facts - while the data source at least acknowledges they have distorted, er adjusted, the scales, that simply is not necessary.
Present the data - on the same scale throughout - and let the data speak on its own.
At least they labeled the y-axes ;) . So many times charts like this don't even do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.