• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC vs MVC - Pros and cons

SenorBlanco

Reaction score
Found the site, proceeded to put my first post in the wrong place (sorry, admin), love the site, joined the site!
Considering options, spent a few hours looking and honestly haven’t found a good comparison between HGVC vs MVC. (Feel free to link if I just haven’t come across it).

Initial observations:
- MVC resale market seems more expensive than HGVC due to the Marriott transfer fees. Is there a reason to spend that money? The whole notion of this site is to find deals and MVC resales still seem pretty pricey.
- MVC seems more flexible for shorter time period giveaways as opposed to full 7 days. Accurate?
- MVC’s MF seem pretty high relative to everyone else. Wouldn’t a rental possibly be better than $4000+\year in MF? Their MF seem to be getting close to breaking even and just renting for someone wanting to crack into timeshare living.

By no means want to make it seem like I’m leery of MVC, especially since they seem to be the Goliath and growing yearly, but they don’t appear to be as attractive on resale unless I’m missing something. Obviously, it is much cheaper when compared to buying direct, but still pricey.

Open to other pros and cons as well but those are my first observations and looking for some validation from the vets.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Found the site, proceeded to put my first post in the wrong place (sorry, admin), love the site, joined the site!
Considering options, spent a few hours looking and honestly haven’t found a good comparison between HGVC vs MVC. (Feel free to link if I just haven’t come across it).

Initial observations:
- MVC resale market seems more expensive than HGVC due to the Marriott transfer fees. Is there a reason to spend that money? The whole notion of this site is to find deals and MVC resales still seem pretty pricey.
- MVC seems more flexible for shorter time period giveaways as opposed to full 7 days. Accurate?
- MVC’s MF seem pretty high relative to everyone else. Wouldn’t a rental possibly be better than $4000+\year in MF? Their MF seem to be getting close to breaking even and just renting for someone wanting to crack into timeshare living.

By no means want to make it seem like I’m leery of MVC, especially since they seem to be the Goliath and growing yearly, but they don’t appear to be as attractive on resale unless I’m missing something. Obviously, it is much cheaper when compared to buying direct, but still pricey.

Open to other pros and cons as well but those are my first observations and looking for some validation from the vets.
1 observation wrong "MVC is the Goliath". There are 2 goliaths, Wyndham and Marriott, who are competing to buy up the competition including HGVC which will be sold soon to one of them, probably Wyndham (or Diamond Resorts which is #3). Marriott just bought Sheraton-Westin so is busy amalgamating. They each own one of the big trading companies (II and RCI).

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
HGVC is better for shorter stays because all the deeds are automatically enrolled in points. Resale MVC deeds are not enrolled in points for short stays so you would need to spend $ to enroll them. MVC tends to be more expensive but there are pockets of deeds in the Marriott and Vistana (Sheraton-Westin) systems which are reasonable.

Each system has pros and cons. You should answer the "What should I buy" questions so we can help you with system/locations that best suit your needs and budget.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

SenorBlanco

Reaction score
Sorry! I had put in a separate reply.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
Caribbean, Hawaii, FL, Europe

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
50/50, not committed either way

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Pretty open

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
Open

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
4-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
$25,000 max, but likely won’t go near that high

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
$3-$4K as of now

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Average

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Based on your responses, MVC would be a better fit because HGVC only has 1 Carribean property and it is not fully built yet.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Sorry! I had put in a separate reply.
Buy a 2 bedroom platinum Westin Kierland Villas. You’ll get points for vistana units and a strong trader in interval. You’ll have great destinations in the Caribbean. One thing you may want to consider is the 2 bedroom plat WKV and a MVC trader..

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Based on your responses, MVC would be a better fit because HGVC only has 1 Carribean property and it is not fully built yet.
I’m thinking also Vistana here. The exchange with MVC in II plus the star options for Caribbean etc.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Resale MVC deeds are not enrolled in points for short stays so you would need to spend $ to enroll them.
So through MVC you can only do complete week trades internally? What is the cost to convert to get point flexibility? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill4728

Reaction score
So through MVC you can only do complete week trades internally?
Correct, they can only do full week reservations and full week trades. BUT they are often really cheap and trade great.
What is the cost to convert to get point flexibility? Thanks.
MVC resales brought after the 2010 deadline ( different deadline for Caribbean and European resorts) are not allowed into the MVC point system.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
As far as I know. I have access to the tug2 marketplace which I think only comes with Member access.

Anybody has access to the marketplace. You need to be a member to access the reviews and the exchange notice board.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
1 observation wrong "MVC is the Goliath". There are 2 goliaths, Wyndham and Marriott, who are competing to buy up the competition including HGVC which will be sold soon to one of them, probably Wyndham (or Diamond Resorts which is #3). Marriott just bought Sheraton-Westin so is busy amalgamating. They each own one of the big trading companies (II and RCI).

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

The latest trend of HGVC being bought out is at 50/50. Hilton branding is an issue.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
I googled "MVC vs HGVC" and got pointed here...

This didn't age well. HGVC bought DRI, not the other way around, and we now have 3 Goliaths of very similar market caps.

Reactions: atl