• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gabbs

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Vacation Club
We bought "points" at that horrible presentation from holiday Inn Orando Resorts last year. We are well past our 10 cancelation days, we just kind of forgot we did this in the first place.
How do we get rid of it?
We tried contacting them but they gave us information on selling through them?
I can see how selling would not actually be an option, more like giving away.
I don't trust those "cancelling companies" so I am here.
Has anyone gotten rid of their holiday inn points successfully?
My husband is ready to just stop making payments and trash our credit so I want to see if there's anything we can do first.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Rest assured, you're not alone in falling for high-pressure sales tactics.
Unfortunately, the TS developer has no obligation to help you out.

Anyone who asks you for $$ upfront to "help" you out is a scammer.
They'll have you sign a POA + give 'em a CC, but you won't get relief.

If you say, "Take it back or you'll just have to foreclose," then
_sometimes_ they'll do a "deed in lieu of foreclosure" take-back.

Not paying" will lead to credit-collectors and a hit to your credit score.
Eventually, they'll foreclose. But to some, the pain is worth it.

If you owe $$ on it, it's unsellable. You may as well learn to use it.
If not, you can try to sell it yourself... Ebay, Redweek, here on TUG.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you owe money on it, it probably is worth less (quite a bit less) than what you owe. 95% of OL deeds are worth $0-$500.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
We bought "points" at that horrible presentation from holiday Inn Orando Resorts last year. We are well past our 10 cancelation days, we just kind of forgot we did this in the first place.

Do you have an outstanding mortgage? I ask because I would have thought that you would be reminded of the timeshare every time you have a mortgage payment.

If you do not owe anything you could give it away but if the purchase price is behind you maybe you could try it out to see if you like it. After all, there was something you must have liked about the idea when you purchased it.

Gabbs

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Vacation Club
We have automatic withdrawal, we never used it we just pay for it monthly. They promised no maintenance fee since it would be included with the monthly payment and we received a maintenance fee bill for 800$ so now we know and want out.
We owe a lot on it since we technically just got it. No overdue payments yet.
I would consider giving it away to somebody that wants to up their points but I feel like it would be too difficult to deal with that anyways.
We are thinking of letting it go to collection agencies and foreclose. The contract states "no party will sue"

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We have automatic withdrawal, we never used it we just pay for it monthly. They promised no maintenance fee since it would be included with the monthly payment and we received a maintenance fee bill for 800$ so now we know and want out.
We owe a lot on it since we technically just got it. No overdue payments yet.
I would consider giving it away to somebody that wants to up their points but I feel like it would be too difficult to deal with that anyways.
We are thinking of letting it go to collection agencies and foreclose. The contract states "no party will sue"

You cannot give it away because you own money on it. Be prepared for it to hit your credit report and be there for many years if you stop paying.

If you cannot afford the payments better to walk away sooner then later. If you can afford them I would suggest learn all about timesharing here on Tug and learn to use your week to the best possible . With knowledge and planning there are many wonderful vacations you can take.

Many of us here on Tug purchased our first timeshare like you from a developer at a high price. I personally have gone to places I could never afford if it wasn’t for timeshares.