• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

It's 'interesting' when your birthday turns you a decade older....

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I 'jumped' in age one decade today.

It just doesn't seem like my age is that much........

Pat

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy birthday! Age is just a number unless you're wine. Then it's 'vintage'.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jumping over any decade is always a big one/big deal.
Don't think about it and Have a Happy Birthday!!!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The hardest part of aging for me is the mental shock every time I look in the mirror. In my head, I feel like I'm in my late 30s. More or less. Then I see myself in the mirror and freak out. What hair I have left is almost completely grey, my waistline has grown more than my hair does, and I have no idea who that guy in the mirror is. He looks like my Dad's older brother. And he was OLD! ;)

Dave

P.S. Happy Birthday, Pat! ;)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
you dont say which decade

several decades ago I started thinking at the 5's that I was on the downward slide to the next decade so when the time came I had gotten kinda used to it

so at 35 when my age came up, Id say, almost 40, Im not sure if it made it easier of if it just spread out the pain< Ill let you know; Ive got one of those big round number birthdays coming up this year,

At last years Club Wyndham Annual meeting Franz Hanning, (CEO) commented on all the grey hair he saw in the audience, and shared with us that he had just turned 60. He said, that 60 was the new 40 and 70 was the new 50. But 80 is 80, you cant hide from 80. The guy I was sitting next to was over 80 and got a good laugh from that. And its guys like that, that are still traveling at 80+ and that can still laugh at themselves, that cause me to embrace this getting old thing, rather than fearing it

And when I look into the mirror, I still see a 25 yo looking back I dont know whats wrong with Daves mirror

Happy Birthday

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy birthday!

I jumped over a decade a couple of years ago. Last Feb., right after my birthday, I had some medical issues that resulted in many medical appointments. It was jarring to see my new age in the reports. Obviously I knew my age, but it felt weird seeing that I was as old as my age on all the paperwork.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy birthday!

I jumped over a decade a couple of years ago. Last Feb., right after my birthday, I had some medical issues that resulted in many medical appointments. It was jarring to see my new age in the reports. Obviously I knew my age, but it felt weird seeing that I was as old as my age on all the paperwork.

I have a similar reaction when I have to say my birthdate out loud 1940 something seem a long time ago

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I notice when filling out those online forms where you have a drop down menu to click on your birth date, the day and month are pretty easy, but there sure is getting to be a lot of scrolling down to get to that birth year. Where'd they all go so suddenly?

Jim

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I 'jumped' in age one decade today.

It just doesn't seem like my age is that much........

Pat

Happy Birthday it is so great to be able to open your eyes and have a sound mind and can think. Wow! I just "Jumped" in age to another decade today.

Happy Birthday and enjoy your day.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
what is really bad is you meet someone,your mind says they are old, and then you find out they are younger than you are.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I notice when filling out those online forms where you have a drop down menu to click on your birth date, the day and month are pretty easy, but there sure is getting to be a lot of scrolling down to get to that birth year. Where'd they all go so suddenly?

Jim

Some sites have year dropdowns that start with 1900 or so. I like those better; the whippersnappers have to scroll a lot farther than I do.

I also knew a long time ago that there was something wrong with my mirror, as I still feel 26-ish. But it explains why all the cute girls in the mall look like they can't see you when they're looking right at you ... we're invisible!

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Part

The hardest part of aging for me is the mental shock every time I look in the mirror. In my head, I feel like I'm in my late 30s. More or less. Then I see myself in the mirror and freak out. What hair I have left is almost completely grey, my waistline has grown more than my hair does, and I have no idea who that guy in the mirror is. He looks like my Dad's older brother. And he was OLD! ;)

Dave

P.S. Happy Birthday, Pat! ;)

Best part is waking up and on top of that being able to see. Two pluses as long as you can keep doing them.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had my 50th high school reunion last summer. Wondering who all those OLD people were who had familiar names???

Jim

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I hit 80 last year I decided to celebrate birthdays every 6 months. Thus I am now 80 1/2 and will be 81 in April. Incidentally, I feel great and attribute it to the following lifestyle changes:

1) I totally stopped all alcohol consumption which had been excessive
2) I lost 45 pounds (200 down to 155)
3) I eliminated all stress from my life
4) I work to never be in a hurry and routinized my days
5) I eliminated all travel to facilitate items 3) and 4)

George

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I hit 80 last year I decided to celebrate birthdays every 6 months. Thus I am now 80 1/2 and will be 81 in April. Incidentally, I feel great and attribute it to the following lifestyle changes:

George

Item number 5 is interesting. I do find transit days to be very stressful.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

George

Turning 60 this year. Love the every 6 month birthday idea for your age! Not sure I could eliminate alcohol totally but trying to drink a bit less. Only drink on Saturday eves after all my chores are done. Having a tough time with my weight. I do exercise 5 days per week. I am just about a vegetarian- no meat except occasionally turkey. But- weight still going up.

I live a simple life. Would have almost no stress if I didn't have to work. It's the schedule of working and the fact that I would rather be doing almost anything else that gets to me.

I have always been a routine, structured type person. Almost OCD about it. But because I work and have limited time I find myself always hurrying about to try to get personal things accomplished.

But I am not getting your elimination of travel?:shrug:

Last edited:

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I hit 80 last year I decided to celebrate birthdays every 6 months.

My sister is exactly 18 months younger than I am so every year when I celebrate her birthday, I am also celebrating my 1/2 birthday. It's been something I've consciously thought of my entire life.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
what is really bad is you meet someone,your mind says they are old, and then you find out they are younger than you are.

Turns out I am younger than some people older than me

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having a tough time with my weight. I do exercise 5 days per week. I am just about a vegetarian- no meat except occasionally turkey. But- weight still going up.

Try reducing carbohydrates, fats including limiting dressing on salads, and portion. Count calories and if you have too many calories for the day, exercise a little longer. It takes a ton of discipline to keep weight down as we age.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Next month I have a birthday and I just want to see that day again. Enjoy life every day to the max. Life is a gift and it is so short. Living Four (4) Decades is a blessing and Plus, you are still able to enjoy your timeshare vacations.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Try reducing carbohydrates, fats including limiting dressing on salads, and portion. Count calories and if you have too many calories for the day, exercise a little longer. It takes a ton of discipline to keep weight down as we age.

Yes. Seems that is the new way people are losing weight, although I really think it is calories in and calories out and my portions, as you said, are probably too big - my dinners I would think. I don't snack at night and I am done eating by 6pm.

I eat salad every day for lunch (Mon - Fri. Saturday is my "off" day for most of my eating regimen) with just balsamic vinegar and olive oil. But I do like my oatmeal during the weekdays- 1/4 cup in the morning with blueberries, ground flax seed and a tablespoon of wheat germ with almond milk and a few craisins. Low-fat- vanilla Greek yogurt mid- morning. And I like pasta once or twice per week (leftovers) per week. I am having a hard time reconciling that I will never be able to eat pasta or oatmeal or rice or potatoes again- not that I am a big eater of them really. I guess I am thinking why give it all up if I can't see myself eating that way forever. But I do have to do something. I can't just keep going up and up. I was at the same overweight weight for many years and all of a sudden this last fall it just shot up 5 lbs and stayed there. Usually "wknd" weight would just come off after my weekday eating regimen resumed.

10 years ago I was 50 lbs lighter. I was a wellness director for a hospital based weight loss program so I am an expert. I had lost 65 lbs in one year when I was 40 years old and it stayed off for a couple of years and then- suddenly- started creeping up even though I hadn't changed any of my weight loss habits. I had no explanation for this and eventually became very discouraged. I don't seem to have the patience to starve myself anymore either. I am a very healthy eater- just too much of it I guess. I really have to eat miniscule amounts of food to lose weight I assume at this point.

People at work always say they can't believe how healthy I eat, as they order their take out food, etc. and most of them are slim. I am having salad and they are having pizza!

I wish there was a pill that would make me not feel like eating anything, yet let me have the energy I need for the long days. I don't think I metabolize food. And yes, the doc had my thyroid checked with my annual physical bloodwork.

I can't exercise longer- already do an hour and get up at 4am. I have to get to work. I am actually in and out of my car the whole day. Some days I am sitting more, however.

Sigh....:(

Last edited: