• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your ARDA contribution made it harder to cancel

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some developer controlled resorts put a membership in ARDA as part of members' m/f's which is a huge conflict of interest. I have never heard of a member-controlled HOA doing that. Individual timeshare owners should not have to fund what amounts to their opposition. While I personally would never buy a week at a developer-controlled resort, the way to try to attack this would be for members whose resorts are funding this group to file a complaint with either or both the state Real Estate Commission (which regulates timeshares) or the state Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Some developer controlled resorts put a membership in ARDA as part of members' m/f's which is a huge conflict of interest. I have never heard of a member-controlled HOA doing that. Individual timeshare owners should not have to fund what amounts to their opposition. While I personally would never buy a week at a developer-controlled resort, the way to try to attack this would be for members whose resorts are funding this group to file a complaint with either or both the state Real Estate Commission (which regulates timeshares) or the state Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division.
Royal Dunes in Hilton Head is a member-controlled resort. Every year the management puts a $3 contribution to ARDA on the maintenance fee bill. It's voluntary so I just ignore it and pay the bill less $3.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
My developer-controlled resorts put suggested ARDA-ROC contributions (which doesn't confer ARDA-ROC membership) on the MF's invoices, but they clearly state what the contributions are, they require opting in, and there are no penalties for those who opt out. I see no reason to file a complaint or challenge with any agency about them because the laws related to PACs allow the developer to do what it is doing. If ever there were a legitimate challenge 1, brought forth by an org with enough clout to proceed and 2, joined by a plurality of timeshare owners and 3, that didn't cost me anything to participate, then I'd consider joining in. But simply not opting in on my MF's invoices is enough for now.

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV, Bali Hai, Wyndham Palm Aire, Bonnet Creek, Patriot's Place, Harbour, Sea Watch, etc.
I agree and opine that too many blatant conflicts of interest are allowed in the timeshare industry.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Dunes in Hilton Head is a member-controlled resort. Every year the management puts a $3 contribution to ARDA on the maintenance fee bill. It's voluntary so I just ignore it and pay the bill less $3.

Then it is simplier. The management company is probably tied to ARDA in some way. In that situation, I would contact all the HOA board members and point out that ARDA backs developers interests and those are often at odds with the interests of individual timeshare owners. The HOA board can direct the management company to remove that.

I remember years ago when "The Shadow" timeshare blog run by an industry insider used to sometimes report some of machinations of ARDA. That was enough to show that this group does NOT act in the interests of timeshare members, only developers. I hadn't thought about The Shadow in a while, but it is sad to no longer have its insider insight.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
still waiting on some examples where arda-roc has lobbied for owners OVER developers....

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
My developer-controlled resorts put suggested ARDA-ROC contributions (which doesn't confer ARDA-ROC membership) on the MF's invoices, but they clearly state what the contributions are, they require opting in, and there are no penalties for those who opt out. I see no reason to file a complaint or challenge with any agency about them because the laws related to PACs allow the developer to do what it is doing. If ever there were a legitimate challenge 1, brought forth by an org with enough clout to proceed and 2, joined by a plurality of timeshare owners and 3, that didn't cost me anything to participate, then I'd consider joining in. But simply not opting in on my MF's invoices is enough for now.
It’s unfortunate how many people are unaware and just pay the bill. It shouldn’t rely on the owner to subtract the contribution from the payment.

Also, what about prepayment of MF’s? I’ve prepaid MF’s for interval exchanges when pulling forward. I pay the projected fee and in some cases I’ve overpaid and received a credit. They refused to increase the credit by $5.00 when I said I wanted to opt out of the contribution. They told me they didn’t have those capabilities.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I beleive contributions to ARDA-ROC PAC would be covered under Federal Election Law and not something at the state level.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So is anyone actually able to decipher what this means? I would normally think the purchaser and transferee are one in the same, but the way this is written that isn't the case. Are they saying that if someone files bankruptcy and the timeshare is sold to someone else, that other person then takes on the obligations? Perhaps someone smarter than I in reading these statues can make sense of it?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s unfortunate how many people are unaware and just pay the bill. It shouldn’t rely on the owner to subtract the contribution from the payment.

Also, what about prepayment of MF’s? I’ve prepaid MF’s for interval exchanges when pulling forward. I pay the projected fee and in some cases I’ve overpaid and received a credit. They refused to increase the credit by $5.00 when I said I wanted to opt out of the contribution. They told me they didn’t have those capabilities.
With the developer of my resorts (Marriott,) again, it's opt-in and clearly delineated, requiring the owner to choose between two totals (one with the ARDA-ROC contribution, one without.) In our online accounts the budget packages including the MF's invoices are linked right there on the payment page. It's fairly difficult to pay the ARDA-ROC fee unknowingly, unless an owner selectively looks only at the amounts and chooses to pay the higher amount without looking at anything else.

Also with Marriott, pre-payment of future years' MF's isn't required if usage is pushed forward via II deposits or Bonvoy Points elections or Abound Points elections. I can't think of any other ways to push usage forward into future use years but wouldn't expect MF's pre-payments to be a requirement for any other ways, either.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please post a link to the original source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't know what the source is for the snippet copied/pasted in the first post but here's the Statute from doing a "Florida Statute XL, Chapter 721, Section 17" google search.

But isn't this something that's been in effect since 2021? @simpsontruckdriver, why bring it up now?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
With the developer of my resorts (Marriott,) again, it's opt-in and clearly delineated, requiring the owner to choose between two totals (one with the ARDA-ROC contribution, one without.) In our online accounts the budget packages including the MF's invoices are linked right there on the payment page. It's fairly difficult to pay the ARDA-ROC fee unknowingly, unless an owner selectively looks only at the amounts and chooses to pay the higher amount without looking at anything else.

Also with Marriott, pre-payment of future years' MF's isn't required if usage is pushed forward via II deposits or Bonvoy Points elections or Abound Points elections. I can't think of any other ways to push usage forward into future use years but wouldn't expect MF's pre-payments to be a requirement for any other ways, either.

For vistana, prepayment of MF were required to push forward star options usage and to confirm pushed interval exchanges.

Vistana doesn’t give two options in totals. They require you to type in a new amount less the 5 dollar charge or send a check with a new amount. Again, you have to take it upon yourself to do it. As funny as this may sound, What if someone cannot subtract 5? You don’t need to take a math test to buy a timeshare. It’s discriminatory!

Since Marriott is bringing Marriott’s way of doing things to vistana as it relates to removing club dues from the MF statements, why haven’t they given vistana owners the option of two payment totals? If they can cut the customer service phone line hours from being open 6 days a week to now only 5 days a week, I’m sure they can figure this one out too.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For vistana, prepayment of MF were required to push forward star options usage and to confirm pushed interval exchanges.

Vistana doesn’t give two options in totals. They require you to type in a new amount less the 5 dollar charge or send a check with a new amount. Again, you have to take it upon yourself to do it. As funny as this may sound, What if someone cannot subtract 5? You don’t need to take a math test to buy a timeshare. It’s discriminatory!

Since Marriott is bringing Marriott’s way of doing things to vistana as it relates to removing club dues from the MF statements, why haven’t they given vistana owners the option of two payment totals? If they can cut the customer service phone line hours from being open 6 days a week to now only 5 days a week, I’m sure they can figure this one out too.
I agree, Marriott should change the ARDA-ROC suggested donations on MF's for Vistana owners/members to match what's been in effect for Marriott owners for decades. @rickandcindy23 has been dealing with a very specific issue related to this for years under Vistana and I don't understand at all why there still aren't any indications that Marriott intends to do something about her situation specifically but also overall. There's just no excuse for owners/members to suffer any repercussions at all for choosing to not contribute to a PAC. No excuse at all.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I agree, Marriott should change the ARDA-ROC suggested donations on MF's for Vistana owners/members to match what's been in effect for Marriott owners for decades. @rickandcindy23 has been dealing with a very specific issue related to this for years under Vistana and I don't understand at all why there still aren't any indications that Marriott intends to do something about her situation specifically but also overall. There's just no excuse for owners/members to suffer any repercussions at all for choosing to not contribute to a PAC. No excuse at all.
Agreed, I forgot to remove it from one and prepaid it for another. 2 out of my 6 weeks received the ARDA fee and I’m still PO’d I gave them 10 bucks.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Diamond/Hilton has always put a line item in the fee statement like this:

2023-ARDA-ROC Voluntary Contribution $7.00

They also put this in the instructions for paying the fees.

You are not required to contribute to ARDA-ROC as it is a voluntary line item and not a maintenance fee charge.

The problem is they don't give you an easy way to opt out. I've been trying to opt out since mid November, and my balance for each contract still says I owe $7. I've talked to the chat room twice, made two phone calls, and one email. They always say it will take a short while, but they don't do anything, so I have to contact them again. My next step will be the Better Business Bureau. I have to prepay my 2024 dues before I can book 2024, so I want to get the balance down to $0 before things are cluttered up by next years dues.

It a waste of my time and theirs. Why can't they just put a checkbox to opt out and save all the time and hassle? :mad:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
as mentioned in the other thread, marriott executives seem to believe there is nothing wrong with the current system of folks simply paying the balance LESS the "voluntary donation".

its all very disappointing for sure.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
as mentioned in the other thread, marriott executives seem to believe there is nothing wrong with the current system of folks simply paying the balance LESS the "voluntary donation".

its all very disappointing for sure.
THe balance LESS the donation seems to work for me. I did it on two different bills this year and both have a $0 balance. My prepayment for next year also reflects this discounted amount. It doesn't work for cindy because past payments have included the $5, thus the prepayments are also including the $5.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I still dont consider that "voluntary" if it requires me to do something above and beyond to prevent it from happening regardless of how trivial that action may be.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I still dont consider that "voluntary" if it requires me to do something above and beyond to prevent it from happening regardless of how trivial that action may be.
I have a hard time doing math, I feel discriminated against.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
a response I got from an initial inquiry to the FEC.

i plan on submitting a formal complaint shortly:

I think there is some confusion in this thread (I work as a lobbyist for an organization that has a PAC in my day job).

ARDA-ROC is an organization that lobbies. It is not a PAC. It does not have to follow FEC regulations.

Much of ARDA-ROC’s lobbying work as discussed in this thread involved state laws and lobbying state legislatures.

Also, the FEC only regulates PACs that contribute to federal candidates (those running for US House, Senate, or President.)

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think there is some confusion in this thread (I work as a lobbyist for an organization that has a PAC in my day job).

ARDA-ROC is an organization that lobbies. It is not a PAC. It does not have to follow FEC regulations.

Much of ARDA-ROC’s lobbying work as discussed in this thread involved state laws and lobbying state legislatures.

Also, the FEC only regulates PACs that contribute to federal candidates (those running for US House, Senate, or President.)
This is what our Vistana MF bill says about ARDA-ROC;
1673060147803.png

1673060072608.png