• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your ARDA contribution made it harder to cancel

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have a hard time doing math, I feel discriminated against.

Is that how you ended up with so many timeshares? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
If it is going to a federal PAC, then they have to follow FEC law. But that money cannot be used to lobby state legislatures like what is being discussed in this thread.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Here is where you can get analysis from the ARDA-ROC PAC from one of the good government groups.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
dri was hit with a huge fine from the FEC years ago for collecting "voluntary donations" from foreign nationals....ie since those contributions were collected by default.

clearly they have some oversight over this!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I too am bad at math, I wonder if I sent them JUST the donation minus the annual dues...i could claim it was just all confusing to me and they should just bill me for what I owe instead!

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have high hopes that once we attract the attention of the correct person, there is so much to unravel here its not even funny

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too am bad at math, I wonder if I sent them JUST the donation minus the annual dues...i could claim it was just all confusing to me and they should just bill me for what I owe instead!
LOL, I feel that your five ($5.00) donation payment minus your annual dues will attract a lot attention from someone and not just from the computer as an error. IMHO. LOL

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Sorry, but math-challenged isn't a protected class! :cool:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Sorry, but math-challenged isn't a protected class! :cool:
Well I’m sure there are owners with documented learning disabilities.

johndeb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations - Club Wyndham - Inn Season Vacation Club - Bluegreen - Breakers Resort (Cape Cod) - Edgewater Beach Resort (Cape Cod)
Holiday Inn Club Vacations includes the voluntary ARDA contribution in the "Amount Due", you must maually change the "amount due" to avoid making the "Donation". Furthermore, the amount of the donation varies between $3 and $7 on each Contract with no logical reasoning for the differences. However, the Bill Payment system only displays the Total Amount Due, INCLUDING the ARDA donation, it does NOT display the amount of the ARDA donation. So, when paying the maintenance fee bill on-line, so you must refer to back your Bill to determine the correct amount to deduct. Clearly, their intention is to make avoiding the "voluntary contribution" as difficult as possible!

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what our Vistana MF bill says about ARDA-ROC;
View attachment 71152
View attachment 71151
OK, what is strange about this is that almost all laws relating to timeshares are state law. Most of them are in the Uniform Unit Ownership Act and Uniform Condominium Act, both of which were promulgated by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, a body of commissioners appointed by state governors, which were then adopted by state legislatures, sometimes with modifications around the country. They are not federal law. Similarly, real estate laws are state laws. That is why every time I think I have ever read of ARDA getting involved on an issue was in a state legislature, not with Congress. That is indeed true of the law brought up by the OP.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, what is strange about this is that almost all laws relating to timeshares are state law. Most of them are in the Uniform Unit Ownership Act and Uniform Condominium Act, both of which were promulgated by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, a body of commissioners appointed by state governors, which were then adopted by state legislatures, sometimes with modifications around the country. They are not federal law. Similarly, real estate laws are state laws. That is why every time I think I have ever read of ARDA getting involved on an issue was in a state legislature, not with Congress. That is indeed true of the law brought up by the OP.
My informed guess is that most issues impacting us (directly) and that we follow on TUG are state issues. But these contributions we are discussing apparently go to a federal PAC and can exclusively be used for federal purposes.

Based on what members of Congress (Committee leaders) that the heavier contributions are going to, my guess is they are lobbying quite a bit on tax policy.

When ARDA engages in federal lobbying, it (and the lobby firms they hire) must file government lobby disclosure forms that will show what issues they lobby on as well as which federal agencies they lobby.

When I have some time, I will pull some of their lobbying disclosure forms and report back.

While lobbying is not done with PAC dollars, usually how PAC dollars are spent are coordinated with lobbying efforts. The can use their corporate money to lobby, but only individual contribution (not corporate) can go to a PAC.