• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yosemite

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Looking to do a family vacation to Yosemite 2020. Since I will need to trade in either RCI or II, which exchange will actually give us the best options. Currently waiting for our Westin resale to finalize so I can start the booking process. TIA

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
By the time you add Interval/RCI membership fees (~$100+), exchange fees (~$200+), and the MF's on the property you are trading away, there may be no net benefit to doing this particular transaction as an exchange, especially given the uncertainties of echanging.

Have you considered renting?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have to agree that a timeshare stay outside of the park will involve a lot of driving. Yosemite Valley, the main attraction for most visitors is roughly a 45 min drive from the park entrance. So add that to the driving time from the timeshare to the gate. Once in the valley parking is tight too. For a large group you could do an Airbnb in Yosemite West (still a 20 min drive) or if you are just going for a few days, choose one of the lodging options right in the valley and use the park shuttle.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yes- all of the above^^^.

Friends of ours exchanged into a timeshare for Yosemite (Bass Lake I think it was) and they said it was a lot of driving. Really- with National Parks I always say it is best to stay right outside the gate or in the park for ultimate enjoyment because they involve a lot of driving and there is a lot of ground to cover if you really want to enjoy the parks to their fullest.

Not that we haven't stayed far from some National Parks, because we have-sometimes 2+ hours away- and the driving really cuts into your time in the park - especially when you want to return the next day- bummer. So I know from past experience.

We were lucky to rent a timeshare from an owner at the west entrance of Yellowstone, and we rented directly from a timeshare resort right by the entrance to Rocky Mountain. This year again we are renting right from a resort at the gate of Zion. Yes- it is big bucks doing it that way but so worth it. We will have to drive 2 hours to see Bryce- but that is ok as we expect it to be a one day excursion.

I personally prefer renting at a resort than from an AIRBNB or HOMEAWAY for something like this, but that is just me. I like the extra amenities a resort provides- like a gym and pool and concierge and so on. But we have rented homes in the past from HOMEAWAY with no issues.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Thank you everyone. Off to look for rentals.

truckinusa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
Thank you everyone. Off to look for rentals.
I like the tent cabins you can rent in the valley. It’s usually plenty warm in the summer. They have beds with mattresses. There are public shower facilities in each camp.

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
I used to go to Yosemite 3-4 times per year when I lived in California. I would take a tent cabin in the valley over any of the timeshares I know of. Not because the timeshares are lacking in anything, some of those timeshares are on my list of places I want to stay. But it's simply a matter of location. If I'm going to Yosemite I want to maximize my time in the park and not spend my time driving. I like to do sunrise and sunset photography and go on long hikes and I don't want to have to leave at 3AM to be able to do these things. I was even unhappy the time I stayed at Wawona Hotel since I had to drive almost an hour to get to some of the trailheads. I even stayed in an unheated tent cabin in November. I was also a lot younger then, but I would probably do it again (and take a couple of down comforters).

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
We own at Island Park Village and enjoyed our trip to Yellowstone. If I wanted to stay in the park I would stay for one or two nights and use the time share as a base the rest of the time. No matter where you stay you will be driving because Yellowstone is huge. We would consider trading directly with you if you want to save on exchange fees.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
We own at Island Park Village and enjoyed our trip to Yellowstone. If I wanted to stay in the park I would stay for one or two nights and use the time share as a base the rest of the time. No matter where you stay you will be driving because Yellowstone is huge. We would consider trading directly with you if you want to save on exchange fees.

Yosemite, not Yellowstone. :doh:

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Oops sorry

Sebastiane

Reaction score
I need to concur that a timeshare remain outside of the recreation center will include a great deal of driving. Yosemite Valley, the primary fascination for most guests is approximately a 35 min drive from the recreation center passage. So add that to the driving time from the timeshare to the door. Once in the valley stopping is tight as well. For an enormous gathering you could do an Airbnb in Yosemite West or on the off chance that you are simply going for a couple of days, pick one of the cabin alternatives directly in the valley and utilize the recreation center transport.

mayamart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stardust Resort, Vacation Club, South Lake Tahoe
Hotel Xcaret , Mexico Destination Club, Playa del Carmen
I highly recommend the Yosemite View Lodge outside the Yosemite entrance (not a trade, rather a hotel). We got a river view room and it was just beautiful. Our room had a Jacuzzi, fireplace, and a kitchenette. One of my favorite hotel stays, ever.