• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham eliminating mega-renters

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
commercial activity

commercial activity
(d) A “commercial activity” means either a regular course of commercial conduct or a particular commercial transaction or act. The commercial character of an activity shall be determined by reference to the nature of the course of conduct or particular transaction or act, rather than by reference to its purpose.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way I think what wyndham is dong regarding the transfer of stripped contracts is wrong. I dont understand why they feel its necessary or even legal to interfere in transaction that they are not party to. The terms of a contract should be between buyer and seller
I assume if the buyer of a stripped contract decides it’s not worth it anymore and walks away/defaults, then Wyndham and the HOA are stuck with a negative points balance. Since Wyndham has some skin in the game they should have some control over transaction.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I assume if the buyer of a stripped contract decides it’s not worth it anymore and walks away/defaults, then Wyndham and the HOA are stuck with a negative points balance. Since Wyndham has some skin in the game they should have some control over transaction.

The skin they have in the game is the payment of the program fees to Wyndham and the maintenance fees to the HOA. In general, those average a total of $6 or so per 1,000 points. My understanding of the unwritten rule they impose on transfers is that they charge $12 per 1,000 points to make up missing/stripped ones. Not sure if they ever provide the option to prepay the fees for the points, but that would seem the more equitable approach.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Vendetta? Look back on post #375 and the original thread in March, 2015. There were no personal vendettas; there was universal agreement that the 29 crappy contracts belonged in the TUG Marketplace. They were most denifitely NOT a "bargain.

That was the objection by all the opposing posts. Anyone who is interested may look back on that thread and easily determine that a number of posters objected to listing the crappy, stripped accounts in the Bargain Deals Forum. Some were quite vocal

Oh, one guy did understand about trying to pass off a cash flow problem to others with the impratur of "Bargain", and it did take a lot of explaining to the renter-friendly moderator(s) of the Bargain Deals Forum at the time, but it eventually did get kicked-up to the one guy in charge, and timeshare contracts stripped of usage for which the maintenance fees were not paid (ALL such timeshares, not just Wyndham or "Ron's") were prohibited from the Bargain Deals Forum and directed to the TUG Marketplace. Anyone may look at the rules for the TUG Bargain Deals now and see this.

In 2017, Wyndham changed the rules to prohibit stripping future Use Years of their points and caught up with the progressive actions of TUG.

It has been 5 years. What does it matter now? Just let it go.
What is that saying? Oh, yeah, "One person's trash is another person's treasure."

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Im happy to let it go, and I dont care what you think of me. but as long as you continue to call me a con man I wont... Im not looking to change your mind, only that you stop vilifying me in a public forum. And if you wont, I'll continue to respond

By the way I think what wyndham is dong regarding the transfer of stripped contracts is wrong. I dont understand why they feel its necessary or even legal to interfere in transaction that they are not party to. The terms of a contract should be between buyer and seller
I completely agree with that. Wyndham has no right to dictate to me what I am selling and what I am promising to a buyer. If I sell something and it closes 12/20, I am going to have to pay fees for the entire year before at $12/ 1,000 to transfer that ownership to a new buyer? That is not right. That could be against Florida law, changing my contract as usage starts the next use year to the current use year.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have three options. They are to walk away and default, accumulate the points prior to transfer or pay the established rate of $12/1000.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have three options. They are to walk away and default, accumulate the points prior to transfer or pay the established rate of $12/1000.
Why do you not understand that the terms of my contract, should I give my points away, would be that use would start 1/1/2022, but Wyndham's rule goes against my LEGAL CONTRACT. They have no right to do that. There is no other company that would do that, not a single company does that except now Wyndham does. That is another sleazy move by Wyndham.

I think Wyndham is going to shoot itself in the foot. For every positive comment made about Wyndham, there are 10X negative ones. And people remember the negative over the positive.

Image result for quote about complaints travel faster than positive

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Why do you not understand that the terms of my contract, should I give my points away, would be that use would start 1/1/2022, but Wyndham's rule goes against my LEGAL CONTRACT. They have no right to do that. There is no other company that would do that, not a single company does that except now Wyndham does. That is another sleazy move by Wyndham.

I think Wyndham is going to shoot itself in the foot. For every positive comment made about Wyndham, there are 10X negative ones. And people remember the negative over the positive.

View attachment 38437
A little different, but MVC has some ridiculous resale activation fees which basically charges twice for the same contract.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score

View attachment 38437
I think Wyndham is protecting their interest and that of the HOAs. I don't think Wyndham is worried about their reputation. If they were they would put a stop to some of the sales tactics.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with that. Wyndham has no right to dictate to me what I am selling and what I am promising to a buyer. If I sell something and it closes 12/20, I am going to have to pay fees for the entire year before at $12/ 1,000 to transfer that ownership to a new buyer? That is not right. That could be against Florida law, changing my contract as usage starts the next use year to the current use year.

Usage starts next year is a good point and Florida can be tough on the timeshare industry.

If you have a fixed week, the manual specifies the the mf being paid each month is for the following year. The udi mf is for current year.

I have a fixed week 7 in Florida so I assume that if I transfer it after February, I actually prepaid some of the followings mf and owe nothing.

It's my understanding from prior posts here, when using Wyndham's Certified Exit, member's weren't charged mf for the current use year.

Reaction score
Wyndham's definition of megarenters and Wyndham's intentions were more explicit in the Klebba lawsuit about 10 years later. Wyndham clearly recognized how "regular, non-VIP owners are adversely affected by Megarenters":

"Megarenters

Owners who are operating a commercial vacation rental business

A Megarenter is an Owner who amasses millions of points in their account for the purpose of booking large amounts of inventory so that they can rent out the units for a profit. They are conducting a business by using our business!

Why Megarenters Are A Problem

* Megarenters tie up inventory during peak times

* Megarenters' cancelled reservations often result in unused inventory

* Our regular, non-VIP Owners are adversely affected by Megarenters

* WVO’s Anti-Megarenter policies have an adverse affect on non-Megarenter Owners.

3. We have identified four opportunities aimed at getting owners to resorts they want more often and more efficiently. Each opportunity has a number of initiatives necessary to capture the value.

B. Get owners to engage within club rules to access the vacations they want
* Limit the use of loopholes by megarenters (e.g., cancel-rebook) that take inventory out of the system unfairly and reduce discretion in applying rules (e.g., overrides) where appropriate.

Proactively manage inventory resulting from cancellations and no-shows

* Create waitlists to fill canceled rooms
* Tighten rules on cancellations, in line with industry norms for condo and home rentals, to address serial cancellers
* Overbook owner stays based on history"

Reaction score
Its clear you're a Wyndham Employee! You say Mega Renters are taking away dates for other owners at Peak times, right? So, Mr Wyndham Employee, please tell me why Wyndham Resorts is power renting on VRBO at a $1000 per night in Newport, RI. Wyndham Resorts has 100's of ads? Also, for the majority of the summer, VRBO turned off Instant Book distribution to Expedia so Wyndham Owners ads were not featured but Developer ads were. Wyndham Resorts say they want to be more fair to their owners and give them access to Prime Dates but Wyndham is taking owner inventory and making high profits renting on Booking.com.VRBO & Expedia with the so called Prime Dates they say they want to open up for Wyndham Owners. Currently, Wyndham has at least 6 ads for every weekend in Sept and this is not Extra Holidays! By the way, nice job taking down all the Newport ads that has more than 100 stay reviews then going back and building brand new ads to make it look like they are all new ads on VRBO. Currently, Wyndham has an ad up on VRBO for MLK, Jan 14th to 17th for $799 a night, they very holiday that included on the restricted list sent out to Wyndham Owners

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

View attachment 38437
It ensures the new owner is less likely to default and that they are not getting stiffed on the contract. By mistake or unpurpose. But of course an owner should be able to specify transfer after 12/31.Or whatever the start of the new use year is.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im happy to let it go, and I dont care what you think of me. but as long as you continue to call me a con man I wont... Im not looking to change your mind, only that you stop vilifying me in a public forum. And if you wont, I'll continue to respond

By the way I think what wyndham is doIng regarding the transfer of stripped contracts is wrong. I don't understand why they feel its necessary or even legal to interfere in transaction that they are not party to. The terms of a contract should be between buyer and seller
I feel the same way but look who liked this comment @Braindead . The same guy who vilified me for selling contracts with no current use year points. SMH LOL!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
No different then If a owner buys developer at a inflated price of $145/1000 and they decide to walk away after using all points current and future years. This would also create a negative balance? Anyone can default if its a stripped or a developer bought contract.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both are wrong. I'd consider it to be theft. I'm thinking Wyndham can go after an owner if they want. Maybe to make an example out of them. There isn't an owner who can afford to fight Wyndham in court. It'd be less expense to pay $12/1000 than go through litigation. All it takes is a default judgement to ruin an owner. Since points were intentionally stripped is there a possibility of fraud? I don't know.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Both are wrong. I'd consider it to be theft. I'm thinking Wyndham can go after an owner if they want. Maybe to make an example out of them. There isn't an owner who can afford to fight Wyndham in court. It'd be less expense to pay $12/1000 than go through litigation. All it takes is a default judgement to ruin an owner. Since points were intentionally stripped is there a possibility of fraud? I don't know.

Clearly.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Fraud is avoided by full disclosure.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham did let owners give back ownership after using current use year points. They didn't consider it a theft as long as the received at $0 cost.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under new management. That was then, this is now.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Its clear you're a Wyndham Employee! You say Mega Renters are taking away dates for other owners at Peak times, right? So, Mr Wyndham Employee, please tell me why Wyndham Resorts is .....

Captain Morgan - Unless you can prove @CO skier works for Wyndham this unnecessary name calling ; and In my opinion that portion of your post should be editing

I have likely read hundreds of posts by @CO skier on TUG. He has been very consistent ,as a Wyndham owner ,in his viewpoint and thought process regarding Mega Renters of Wyndham units. I have read nothing that would indicate his employment status.

Last edited:

troy12n

Reaction score
Captain Morgan - Unless you can prove @CO skier works for Wyndham this unnecessary name calling ; and In my opinion that portion of your post should be editing

I have likely read hundreds of @CO skier ' s post on TUG. He has been very consistent ,as a Wyndham owner ,in his viewpoint and thought process regarding Mega Renters of Wyndham units. I have read nothing that would indicate his employment status.

A couple other "guests" have shown up here, who clearly have no vested interest other than stirring the pot, wonder why they aren't getting ridiculed...

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going off topic
There was a woman who rented pompano beach Wyndham. I haven’t seen her posts for a long time. I think it was vacation hopeful
Any idea about her?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Its clear you're a Wyndham Employee! You say Mega Renters are taking away dates for other owners at Peak times, right? So, Mr Wyndham Employee, please tell me why Wyndham Resorts is power renting on VRBO at a $1000 per night in Newport, RI. Wyndham Resorts has 100's of ads? Also, for the majority of the summer, VRBO turned off Instant Book distribution to Expedia so Wyndham Owners ads were not featured but Developer ads were. Wyndham Resorts say they want to be more fair to their owners and give them access to Prime Dates but Wyndham is taking owner inventory and making high profits renting on Booking.com.VRBO & Expedia with the so called Prime Dates they say they want to open up for Wyndham Owners. Currently, Wyndham has at least 6 ads for every weekend in Sept and this is not Extra Holidays! By the way, nice job taking down all the Newport ads that has more than 100 stay reviews then going back and building brand new ads to make it look like they are all new ads on VRBO. Currently, Wyndham has an ad up on VRBO for MLK, Jan 14th to 17th for $799 a night, they very holiday that included on the restricted list sent out to Wyndham Owners
@Captain Morgan Take your trolling to Reddit!