• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wow. Cartel violence and apology

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Medical tourism is a very common reason why Americans go to Mexico. Whether this incidence was a cartel mistake or not ,this recent event in the news and has caused many to reconsider their Mexican travel. For us, we are reevaluating the plan to drive to Puerto Vallarta or Cabo in the Silver Bullet. We still plan to head to Mexico. I'm thinking others will decide to head elsewhere for many reasons.

Anyone else making changes to their Mexico trips ?

Bill

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love how the first article says that to solve the problem we should close the border. The problem is that the US public is the largest single consumer market for what the cartels are selling. The only way to solve the problem is to reduce demand. Otherwise, the "invisible hand of the market" will always win.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We made the decision about 8 years ago to never return to Mexico and still stand by that decision.
Same here...why risk bodily harm if there are so many other choices. Standing by for haters to chime in, ha!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We are planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta with our kids in July. These stories are scary but it is not new. I hope we will be safe. We plan to take the usual precautions like staying in tourist areas and not going off the beaten path.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were in Puerto Vallarta for most of Feb and the worse thing that happened was a fishing mishap with an Englishman. I accidently casted over line and he thought it was a fish on. His name is Gram. I could barely understand what he was saying. Soon after a guy named Barry from Winnipeg did the same thing to Gram. I have to laugh in that we all speak English but no one understood a thing Gram said.

We were all over PV at all times of day and it was safe. Probably the biggest danger is the uneven sidewalks, super big curbs and cobblestone making a person trip.

My thought is travel will decrease in certain areas but those that have been traveling to Mexico for years will continue to do so. I have extended family living in Mexico and I have extended family that will never step foot into Mexico. I really wanted to drive to Mexico next winter but the WA plate might make us a target so that's not happening.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What happened ? Bad water ?

Bill
Drug cartels and potential kidnapping. I am less afraid of drug cartels, i.e. caught in gun fights, than kidnappings. For us, the risk far outweighs the joy we get from vacationing in Mexico. Kidnapping = almost certain death, plus it puts family in an extremely stressful situation.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Loyal readers will recall that in January, my DW fell on a sidewalk in Centro Mazatlan (breaking her upper right arm) and was cared for (with surgery) in a large Mexican hospital. The very NEXT DAY, the Federales captured the son of El Chapo Guzman, leader of the Sinaloa Cartel in Culiacan, the capitol of Sinaloa State. Shots were taken at an Aero Mexico jet. There were threats made at the hospital where Paula was recuperating post op. They told us they were taking us to a 'safe house' with a nurse. Paula was spirited out of the hospital that night in the dark, put into an ambulance with nurses and firefighters and brought to me to care for.

She's still on the mend. Travel Insurance paid all the bills we accumulated for her care in Mexico, but not for ongoing care after returning home (make a note about that, travel insurance shoppers)

We will return to Mazatlan- even have reservations there for the first week in April, 2024 to catch the next total Solar Eclipse. It will start it's journey across N. America there.

The cartels (generally) don't bother nortamericano visitors. Too much trouble with the army.

Jim

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We are planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta with our kids in July. These stories are scary but it is not new. I hope we will be safe. We plan to take the usual precautions like staying in tourist areas and not going off the beaten path.

We were in Puerto Vallarta for most of Feb .......
We were all over PV at all times of day and it was safe. Probably the biggest danger is the uneven sidewalks, super big curbs and cobblestone making a person trip. .......
Bill

@TravelTime
Don't forget to watch out for the PV airport TS Shark Tank - just after you exit security.

and @easyrider is correct about the interestingly uneven sidewalks in centro / oldtown

We head home from PV on Monday (March 13) / arrived Jan 27.
We did take a 5 day side trip to Mexico City . Flew over & back on VivaAerobus

I am already searching Feb 2024 exchange options.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We made the decision about 8 years ago to never return to Mexico and still stand by that decision.
Yeah, us too. We used to enjoy going to TJ for shopping, tourism, restaurants. Also sometimes we'd go down to La Fonda (on the way to Ensenada) for lunch and stayed overnight at a hole-in-the-wall hotel, La Misión. Fun, but the risk factor kept increasing. So, we haven't been down there in perhaps 25 years.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That was a very violence abduction catcher by that video recording.

Pizza67

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been going since 2006, mainly to the Vidanta RM property. We've seen and done pretty much everything we've wanted to see as far as going into town, Talum, etc. Since they've added so much to the resort, we don't even leave the property anymore. That said, we're heading down in May with no real worries.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Loyal readers ...my DW fell on the sidewalk......
We will return to Mazatlan- even have reservations there for the first week in April, 2024

The cartels (generally) don't bother nortamericano visitors. Too much trouble with the army.

Jim
Glad to hear Paula & you have 2024 travel plans
I agree with your statement re :
business operational issues - when the Mexican army is sent .
The Gulf Cartel & it's leadership will likely see drones & helicopters visiting them soon.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We were in Cabo earlier this winter and everything was fine. Usual precautions. We felt safe. Booked to visit again in 2024 and searching for 2025. We missed Cabo during the pandemic.

Would not go to TJ or other areas on the list. Too dangerous. I would like to visit Cancun. I recall that was a safe(r) area. I want to see the ruins and other area highlights.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My husband had to go to Reynosa for work - that was definitely unsafe. His co-worker was staying at the Holiday Inn, waiting for a shuttle and witnessed a shooting. How his company ever thought it was safe for employees to stay there is beyond me. There are places that we won't go - Tijuana and Reynosa for sure. We aren't particularly worried about Cabo and PV.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
We won’t be taking trips there anytime soon. There are better, lower risk options.

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live very close to the airport and fly to Puerto Vallarta quite often. But sometimes we decide to take just a little extra overall risk and drive for a few hours over the mountains to the PNW coast instead for vacation.

I am reminded however of the old line from "Laverne and Shirley" comparing flying to driving. "Nobody has ever fallen 40,000 feet out of a Chrysler DeSoto." It is very true that we will probably never get kidnapped and murdered by a drug cartel while on our way to Florence, Oregon.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's safer now, a drug cartel apologized and identified the murderers.

The Mexican government investigating if the victims were involved in drug trade because of past drug convictions.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We haven't decided where in Mexico we will end up but I'm thinking we will be somewhere in Mexico next winter. I saw on the news they are now speaking about the dangers of Medical Tourism that cost less than half of what it does in the states. I know a few people and would include myself and my wife that have had procedures in Mexico.

I saw on the news that the cartel apologized. I'm not sure what to think about that.

Bill

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I will repeat a prior comment I have made. I feel far safer in the tourist areas in PV, Zihua, Cabo than I do in Pioneer Square in Seattle. And that was before the pandemic. The situation is has deteriorated greatly since then. Yet there's no drum roll of people saying I would never travel to the Pacific Northwest because it isn't safe.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will repeat a prior comment I have made. I feel far safer in the tourist areas in PV, Zihua, Cabo than I do in Pioneer Square in Seattle. And that was before the pandemic. The situation is has deteriorated greatly since then. Yet there's no drum roll of people saying I would never travel to the Pacific Northwest because it isn't safe.
Oh yes there is. I will never return to Seattle and Portland, 2 of my favorite cities before they became what they are now.