• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you retro NOW?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
@CPNY
This is a bread and butter resort for MVC, so I highly doubt MVC would allow it to leave the Vistana Family.
Is there a basis for this speculation that some resorts could be kicked out of the Vistana family? I looked at all the official statements that came from MVW and I did not see anything except that they may try to sell some vacant land

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Is there a basis for this speculation that some resorts could be kicked out of the Vistana family? I looked at all the official statements that came from MVW and I did not see anything except that they may try to sell some vacant land
I think people speculated that a while back about whether or not MVC will decide to sell off or remove resorts and how that could affect mandatory deeds. No real basis. I think it has to do with the concept that there is one thing that is certain, nothing will remain the same as change is inevitable. Certain resorts are more desirable and have higher value in their portfolio. Which is prob why SDO is a good trader unit. I would never go to SDO, I’d want to use it to trade into other MVC resorts such as Aruba etc. as it is now. I’d be hesitant to deposit a mandatory unit for a trade. However, I’d use SDO to trade a bunch

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think people speculated that a while back about whether or not MVC will decide to sell off or remove resorts and how that could affect mandatory deeds. No real basis. I think it has to do with the concept that there is one thing that is certain, nothing will remain the same as change is inevitable. Certain resorts are more desirable and have higher value in their portfolio. Which is prob why SDO is a good trader unit. I would never go to SDO, I’d want to use it to trade into other MVC resorts such as Aruba etc. as it is now. I’d be hesitant to deposit a mandatory unit for a trade. However, I’d use SDO to trade a bunch
I know, it just seems unlikely to me since they do not own the resorts, the owners do. MVC only owns a small fraction so the amount they would get is minuscule. By doing so, they would also give up the management fee for the resort so I am not sure at all what the motivation would be. But say they actually wanted to sell SDO or SPB. I see a lot of complications and very little upside. I actually think that ALL the resorts are their bread and butter.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I know, it just seems unlikely to me since they do not own the resorts, the owners do. MVC only owns a small fraction so the amount they would get is minuscule. By doing so, they would also give up the management fee for the resort so I am not sure at all what the motivation would be. But say they actually wanted to sell SDO or SPB. I see a lot of complications and very little upside. I actually think that ALL the resorts are their bread and butter.
Good point and I agree. Why would they want to give away existing owners they can sell to.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
When I bought my WKV week I also considered that the value would be zero at 10 years. That was a fairly common theme on TUG back then and very few of us at the time thought the weeks would be worth close to the purchase price. On the other hand, IIRC very few would suggest that WKORV (which at the time was ~$35k for annual OV resale) would be ~$10-12k in 15 years.

I paid $20,500 for my WKV Platinum in September 2005. At the time it was a very good price, though not exceptional (it was akin to the ~$14-15k price today, not the rare yet always mentioned and hoped for $10-12k price). So in 14 years, the value has reduced about $5500-6500, or about 29%. During that time we went through both economic growth and worse. Assuming it loses another ~30% in the next 14 years, then a value of ~$14k would be $9800. Based on this I find it very difficult indeed to agree that it will be valued at zero in 10 years. We are no longer shooting in the dark as we once were...we have historical perspective to help balance our opinion. So, while it may be smart to still consider any timeshare worth zero the moment after purchase and intend to use it for 10+ years to redeem your value, the reality seems to favor that good timeshares will retain value.

It sounds like you're convincing yourself to buy conservatively, which I think is smart. Telling yourself the weeks you own are worthless is a great way to find solutions to using what you own, and if it has any value at all in 10 years you'll be happy.

Of course, I think you're overly pessimistic about the eventual value of the weeks (depending on resort). Just remember that there are a lot of timeshares out there, and they also trade in II for VSN/Marriott. I highly doubt that II will suddenly dry up with VSN/Marriott weeks for others to reserve, so even if the worst happens and the VSN club is killed and we only own the resort itself with trading in II (this assumes no overlay), then I think we will *still* be able to trade to nice resorts. And this won't happen.
If/when/whenever you get a chance and happen to be in II messing around with checking for yourself, I’d love to see the difference of inventory you can see at say MVC Aruba, if you can check for me. I’d greatly appreciate it :) With my HRA and SVV checking from today to August of 2021 I only see an efficiency from June 26-July 3rd of 2020. I’d love to know if SDO sees more. Been talking to a broker about a 2bedroom unit today.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
If/when/whenever you get a chance and happen to be in II messing around with checking for yourself, I’d love to see the difference of inventory you can see at say MVC Aruba, if you can check for me. I’d greatly appreciate it :) With my HRA and SVV checking from today to August of 2021 I only see an efficiency from June 26-July 3rd of 2020. I’d love to know if SDO sees more. Been talking to a broker about a 2bedroom unit today.
If your goal is to get Marriott Aruba, you probably will be better off with a Marriott trader.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If your goal is to get Marriott Aruba, you probably will be better off with a Marriott trader.
Good point. Unless they offer enrollment for voluntary weeks at some point in the future, And if not I still have a good vistana trader :) I’ll check some MVC trader resorts too.