• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would it bother you?

ekajun1957

Reaction score
If you go check on your reservation within that 60 day period and for quite some time there is no upgrade or availability then you suddenly see some and when you click and search again it changes within minutes so you grab what you want and kind of realize you may have snatched something while someone is in middle of this cancel / rebook thing. Would you feel bad you may have snatched and messed him up?

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
If you go check on your reservation within that 60 day period and for quite some time there is no upgrade or availability then you suddenly see some and when you click and search again it changes within minutes so you grab what you want and kind of realize you may have snatched something while someone is in middle of this cancel / rebook thing. Would you feel bad you may have snatched and messed him up?

No. (The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Cancel / rebook is to save points on a reservation in hand already.

They had been fortunate to be able to book the vacation first, this is the reason you couldn't plan YOUR vacation.

The risk of loosing the vacation by doing this is real.

I'd be doing the "Happy Dance" all the way to my vacation !

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the risk of cancel and rebook. It is not a right of ownership. And it likely will go away someday. In the meantime it can be a fantastic discount with a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say if you are not aware of how it is done or know and accept the risks then do not try it. Very easy to get 1, 2, 3 or 10 in a row but it is not for everyone.

I have no problem losing another reservation to someone better then me as long as they are following the rules (No bots).

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Id feel bad terrible but when I collect the rent from my customer Id feel better again

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
Id feel bad terrible but when I collect the rent from my customer Id feel better again

This is a sense right and wrong, a sense of appropriateness, a sense of ... oh no, this is a sense of humor that I can appreciate.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be so happy to have finally gotten another upgrade. After all that was one of the features they used when twisting my arms to buy VIP. I never think about who else might be simultaneously making a reservation while I am checking for an upgrade.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Not even the hint of a pang of guilt.

For one, I've lost many more than I've picked up. Also, I've cancelled good reservations for a reason (e.g., to free up points to get a better reservation) and they've been gone with a couple of hours. So, the one I find could be the same thing.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Not at all, you got lucky, they did not.

travelwyndham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Things have changed with Wyndham. I haven't posted in a long time because so much was happening to me with Wyndham and I was getting so frustrated that it literally consumed me and took away from the time I had with my family. However, I've learned now that I cannot win against a large corporation and I have to "roll" with it. I used to not take reservations that I knew had to be someone's "cancel and rebook" because I figured that they were probably just trying to save on points (after spending big bucks to become platinum) and hoping to take more vacations with their families. I wouldn't want to be the one who made it so that some father or mother or grandparent lost the families' room that they were counting on for months. However, I realize now that most of these rooms will not come back (its obvious that a new system has been put in place) and anyone cancelling now to take advantage of the old system is doing so with the full understanding that they will likely lose their reservation. So now I don't mind so much.

For my own stays... I either book within that 60 day window and be happy with what they have available, or pay the full points cost and don't risk the loss. For rooms that I'd like to rent out. I will most likely attempt the discount, but never if someone has pre booked something and is counting on the vacation already. However, I would say that its not worth the money to buy from the developer anymore, because its very unlikely that someone is going to get a great (25%, 35%, or 50% off) deal with enough to spare to plan a vacation. Save the money and with the $150,000-$200,000 savings- pay someone else to rent to you or pay full price for reservations made with your deeply discounted resale points.

Just for the record- Our family of 7 just returned from an almost year long trip where we stayed every night at a Wyndham. We started in Oahu, then Kauai, Kona and Maui. We were still able to get the discounts until we hit Maui, where reservations didn't come back. Then we went to Australia and New Zealand (Coffs Harbour, Surfers Paradise, Cairns, Sydney, Tasmania and Wanaka) where we had to pay full points because reservations did not seem to come back after being canceled. We are currently in Anaheim and I have been able to book the entire stay last minute (getting it for 50% off). So sometimes it works, but I sure wouldn't chance it unless I had a back up plan.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be the one who made it so that some father or mother or grandparent lost the families' room that they were counting on for months. However, I realize now that most of these rooms will not come back (its obvious that a new system has been put in place).
Good to hear from you again and it sounds like your journey continues in relative peace. If you reread the initial post I think it just talks of catching the VIP upgrade and not particularly the cancel/rebook trick. There's not much chance of losing a room if you aren't gaming the system.

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista

Absolutely not! The upgrade is a perk that you're entitled to based on your VIP level. While the Cancel-Rebook is not an intended perk, but instead a way people have found to game the system. When they do the Cancel-Rebook, they take the risk that comes with it. And it could also be an actual cancel, that several other Wyndham members are watching for.

geekette

Reaction score
People know the risks. Satisfy yourself with that and move on to a great vaca.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
A little twist on the Ops questions.

Would it bother you if you upgraded or booked a reservation that Wyndham cancelled in error or was wrong to cancel? You would never know thats why it was cancelled and if you did not book it someone else would moments later but how do people feel about that.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score

Would it bother you if you upgraded or booked a reservation that Wyndham cancelled in error or was wrong to cancel? You would never know thats why it was cancelled and if you did not book it someone else would moments later but how do people feel about that.

If I have made a reservation (upgraded or not) within the rules of my account and Wyndham cancels it, I would be very upset. l think that is some kind of breach of contract.

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That's not a twist on the OP's question, it's a totally different question when you ask about Wyndham wrongly cancelling a legitimate reservation.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's not a twist on the OP's question, it's a totally different question when you ask about Wyndham wrongly cancelling a legitimate reservation.

No I am asking how would you feel if you booked a reservation that Wyndham wrongly cancelled. Just food for thought.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
No I am asking how would you feel if you booked a reservation that Wyndham wrongly cancelled. Just food for thought.
They are two different questions.

If Wyndham wrongly cancels a reservation, they have an obligation to the member for their mistake.

If a member intentionally cancels a reservation in a cancel/rebook ploy and loses the reservation, Wyndham has no responsibility. It is all on the member gaming the system.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are two different questions.

If Wyndham wrongly cancels a reservation, they have an obligation to the member for their mistake.

If a member intentionally cancels a reservation in a cancel/rebook ploy and loses the reservation, Wyndham has no responsibility. It is all on the member gaming the system.

On the part of the person booking the wrongfully cancelled reservation after it was cancelled. You would not know Wyndham cancelled it in error but would you feel bad about it if you knew? Or just happy for your good luck and another persons misfortune.

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Ahh, got it.

I still wouldn't feel bad about it because I booked it in good faith. In this situation, it was Wyndham that screwed up.

If Wyndham wants to correct it and provide good customer service, they need to take the steps to replace the reservation or provide adequate compensation or alternative. And if they take back the reservation from the person who just booked it, they should do something for them. And the longer that reservation is in place, the better it should be.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the part of the person booking the wrongfully cancelled reservation after it was cancelled. You would not know Wyndham cancelled it in error but would you feel bad about it if you knew? Or just happy for your good luck and another persons misfortune.

You keep asking different questions.

Anyone booking online has no knowledge about the source of the reservation they are booking.

If a reservation is cancelled, it is fair game. It is the canceller's responsibility, not the reserver's responsibility.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely not! The upgrade is a perk that you're entitled to based on your VIP level. While the Cancel-Rebook is not an intended perk, but instead a way people have found to game the system. When they do the Cancel-Rebook, they take the risk that comes with it. And it could also be an actual cancel, that several other Wyndham members are watching for.
Very good analysis! I agree with this completely.

OK, this made me laugh! :rofl: