• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV OF Deluxe

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey gang...it's been a while.

Can someone confirm that the 2bdrm deluxe floorplan on Starwood's website is indeed the 2bdrm OF deluxe corner unit?

Thanks.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If it's the "deluxe" 2 bdrm plan on StarwoodVacationOwnership.com, then yes, that's the one. They're gorgeous and roomy, and the studio side has a lanai, too. The only downside is the extra MFs.

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was previously referred to as Ocean Front Deluxe (corners) are now called Ocean Front Premium. The center units are now referred to as Ocean Front Deluxe. I am here now and verified this at check in based on David's post a month ago.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
"Ocean Front" is still used, but the corner units are called Ocean Front Premium and the center unit is called Ocean Front Deluxe. The corner units are larger.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy. Someone is gonna be really mad when they buy an OFD only to find out it really isn't what they thought it was. :eek:

Katherine

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Ocean Front" is still used, but the corner units are called Ocean Front Premium and the center unit is called Ocean Front Deluxe. The corner units are larger.

We have an ocean front center unit and our confirmation says:
Villa Type: Oceanfront 2-Bedroom Lockoff Villa

On the Mystarcentral site it just lists: 2-bedroom lockoff villa.

No mention of premium or deluxe anywhere but it is an ocean front center unit.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yep - the reservations no longer list the floor plan for either side - the floor plans have been switched somewhere along the line. I told the salesperson and the shift manager that this info is listed incorrectly on their website.

I called the SVO Elite line - before we went to WKORV - they just said that we would get our deeded unit. The biggest problem is clarify to a renter what type of unit they are getting because the SVO website has it wrong.

http://www.starwoodvacationownership.com/westin_kaanapali_ocean_resort_villas/twobedroom_deluxe.jsp

You buy what is deeded by unit number for OF corner or center (the center being the larger 'premium' unit that used to be called 'deluxe' (even on my old reservation confirmations). This is a typical screw-up by Starwood - where one hand doesn't know what the other is doing - OR - they have done it for a reason that we will eventually find out about.

The premium unit at WKV is the larger size - so it would be consistant.

Which is better - 'premium' or 'deluxe'...??? lol

Last edited:

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what a OF Deluxe (corner) unit/week should appear on the deed? How can you tell by looking at the deed?

My 2 bdrm OV unit reads 2217/19 on the deed. Does the 17 and 19 represent unit numbers for the one-bedroom unit and the studio? Looking at the map, units 17 and 19 are OV units.

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. Corner units would end in either 26 or 28 or 27 and 29. 28 and 29 are the 1BR. http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77371

Thanks. So, the 1 bdrm/living room side of the 2 bdrm unit is the corner of the building. The connecting patio of master bdrm and living room is on the short side of the building facing the ocean. The studio side and it's patio is on the long side of the building. The studio unit is more like an OV unit than a OF unit. Is this right?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The studio is on the corner and the studio lanai faces the side of the Bldg. Since it's right on the corner, it has a gorgeous ocean view!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This was our sunset view from the OF corner studio on the WKORVN side:

WKOVR_lanai_view.jpg
[/IMG]

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute

I don't doubt what everyone has been told, but changing what is called "Deluxe" at KOR is not that simple. "Deluxe" is not a marketing term, or common reference for reservations.

Deluxe is a term defined throughout the KOR Governing Documents, including the Ocean Resort Villas Vacation Ownership Plan, and the Condominium Property Regime for Ocean Resort Villas.

I guess it could be changed, but it would require amended and restated Governing Documents to do so. I am not aware of such amended documents.
Has anyone received them? Or notification that amendments have been made?

It s goofy to retain a descriptive term, but change its meaning.

Mookie

Reaction score
Thanks. So, the 1 bdrm/living room side of the 2 bdrm unit is the corner of the building. The connecting patio of master bdrm and living room is on the short side of the building facing the ocean. The studio side and it's patio is on the long side of the building. The studio unit is more like an OV unit than a OF unit. Is this right?

True, but unlike the ocean view studios, it has a full lanai and is a bit roomier than the regular oceanfront studio (the "new" deluxe or the "old" premium). On the down side, you don't have the direct ocean front view and the maintenence fees are more expensive.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
'Deluxe' or 'Premium' is not on the deed. The deed will have the unit number(s), the week, the usage, and type (float/fixed). I haven't look at my deed for a while, but I do not think OF/OV/IV is listed, but it could be - if I can find it easily - I will check.

The WKORV OM will tell you what type of unit it is - these were listed on TUG (by me I think) quite a while back. As FredM states - the OM does indeed state 'Deluxe' as the corner units. It does not use the term 'Premium' to describe the others. I had forgot about this - this will add fuel to the fire.

btw - the corner units are xx26/28, xx27/29 - and the center units are xx30/31

The corner OF studio units have a lanai (as shown on the SVO/WKORV website - where they are caled Deluxe). The center OF studio units also have a lanai (which is not shown anywhere) - these are slightly smaller than the corner studio lanai, but not by much. Also, I do not know if the sqft of the inside center studio unit is smaller to make up for the lanai - or not.

More importantly - who at SVO (of the many VPs) do you think would be a good person to contact regarding getting clarity on this issue (Deluxe vs. Premium)?
Suzanne Clark?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just wrote Suzanne Clark an email regarding the issue of the supposed switch in villa designation - her response should be interesting - I will post when/if I get one.

As discussed - the corner units are designated in the WKORV OM as 'Deluxe' and the SVO websire shows teh corner unit layout as 'Deluxe' and states it as such.

So... this should be resolved...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just wrote Suzanne Clark an email regarding the issue of the supposed switch in villa designation - her response should be interesting - I will post when/if I get one.

As discussed - the corner units are designated in the WKORV OM as 'Deluxe' and the SVO websire shows teh corner unit layout as 'Deluxe' and states it as such.

So... this should be resolved...

I got a phone response from Starwood Corporate on this issue. It turns out that the reservation system at WKORV (Galaxy) has the corner units designated as "Premium" so the folks that work at WKORV go by that since this is what they see in their computer system. This is unique to the reservation system at WKORV and SVO Corp is aware that this is different than the designation given officially in the WKORV Owner's manual and on the SVO WKORV website - which refers to this units as "Deluxe".

It appears as if someone was not paying attention when they set-up the reservation system at WKORV (I think it was changed over recently if I understood correctly).

SVO informed me that they have spoken to the General Manager at WKORV about this. The solution (if I understood correctly) was to ensure that people checking in will be informed that their units are the "Deluxe" units eventhough they are listed as "Premium" in the reservation system.

The reservation confirmations from SVO will not change - meaning no designation (other than view-type) will be listed on the confirmation.

In going back and reading this - I have to chuckle. While not a big deal since we will get the unit type that we purchased (as long as reserved in the Owners window at 8-12 months) - it is indicative of the lack of comprehensive QC (Quality Control) when it comes to SVO's reservation and database systems - something we all are well aware of.

It was nice that they responded by phone - and the person was very understanding as to the issue, and my concerns - but they are not going to alter a system that is already in place.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Random question about these units. If you decide to lock-off and use as 2 weeks, are you guaranteed the larger/with balcony studio when you occupy your studio week?

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, as a practical matter, the name has changed.

The staff and reservation system refer to "deluxe" differently than what owners purchased, and the Governing Documents specify.
However, the term remains in use, and means something else.

And, because this occurred as a result of a screw up, rather than it being intentional, it's ok?

I don't think so.

It may be a bit inconvenient for Starwood to get it right after screwing it up, but it does not require a systems overhaul.

Meanwhile, almost 2000 owners are potentially affected.
WE may know that "Deluxe" referred to the corner units, and now refer to the center units (even though the GD's say otherwise), but what of those who do not? Owners and renters alike.

Who is to explain to a renter that inquires to verify the location of the Deluxe unit they are renting, when given conflicting information?

There is no valid business reason to not fix this. I am not splitting hairs. If the term "Deluxe" were removed entirely when the system was switched, I would not be as concerned.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Random question about these units. If you decide to lock-off and use as 2 weeks, are you guaranteed the larger/with balcony studio when you occupy your studio week?

You are guaranteed to be assigned to a unit in the category you own if: 1) you make your reservation 8-12 mos. out and, 2) There is a unit available when your make your reservation.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi Fred -

They are informing the front desk people that "Premium" units in their reservation system are "Deluxe" floor plans as deeded and as floor layout (corner unit) shown on the website. The Premium units are not named anything other than a standard unit. You only get this info at check-in - as you cannot call ahead to WKORV about the unit - you must call SVO.

So... I personally am not concerned about this.

What I am concerned about is the lack of unit layout type (Deluxe, or Premium/Standard) on the Reservation Confirmation. OF, OV, IV, and type (2Bd LO, 1Bd, studio) are shown on the reservation. This is an issue for renting a unit out, but I guess I will plan to cover this.

So... at WKORV (Deluxe = premium, and Premium = standard) and at SVO the Deluxe and Premium units are as deeded and listed on the website.

Now that they are aware of this issue (they were not until I contacted them) - I get the impression that their plan is to communicate to the WKORV staff the difference between the types in the resevation system, and nothing beyond that.

Send me a PM and I will be glad to send the phone number of the person I spoke with at SVO. I found out what I wanted and will not battle this with them. I think is is stupid, but minor in the scheme of things (like HOA control and accountability) and it doesn't surprise me that they screwed this up.

I will compensate by changing my rental contract as to capture this detail as to make it clear to the renter (which will only be an issue if they start questioning the designation at check-in. Unlikely)

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

As DeniseM said.

If you do this - reserve the 1Bd side first - if there is available occupancy for the 2nd week - like in a very low season - (and you are real nice) they may just give you a 1Bd side for the 2nd week.
shhhhhh....