• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WII FIT and store stupidity

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
The stores are worried with good reason of losing money this holiday.:eek:

One of the biggest selling items seems to be the Wii Fit game and the stores are not only sold out by last Friday morning but have no idea if they will get more. Because of this they won't even take on-line orders so buyers could still get one if they wanted.:doh:

My daugther wanted one and only place to get one is E-bay at double the price and we will never over pay for something come Jan we can buy at store and for regular price.

What ticks me off is these stores took early sales profit on Black Friday and now will pay for these sales rest of month with slow sales.

We had one guy on the news that stated him and his wife stood in line and ran into a Best Buy and bought $6000 worth of Wii Fit just to sell on E-bay for large profit. The news showed them loading up shopping carts with this item.

Now stores have nothing for the regular families wanting to buy this item .
Stores should have used their heads and took care of their customers by having a limit of two to a family so more people could buy these or other items that are big sellers this year. These stores made quick sale and now what! :crash:

When we go into a store and buy the main item we want we also buy many other items for Christmas so store makes sales.

How many people knowing they can not buy the item they want will go into a store and spend money for other items they really don't care about, not many!

PHIL

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
try buying online...

The stores are worried with good reason of losing money this holiday.:eek:

One of the biggest selling items seems to be the Wii Fit game and the stores are not only sold out by last Friday morning but have no idea if they will get more. Because of this they won't even take on-line orders so buyers could still get one if they wanted.:doh:

My daugther wanted one and only place to get one is E-bay at double the price and we will never over pay for something come Jan we can buy at store and for regular price.

What ticks me off is these stores took early sales profit on Black Friday and now will pay for these sales rest of month with slow sales.

We had one guy on the news that stated him and his wife stood in line and ran into a Best Buy and bought $6000 worth of Wii Fit just to sell on E-bay for large profit. The news showed them loading up shopping carts with this item.

Now stores have nothing for the regular families wanting to buy this item .
Stores should have used their heads and took care of their customers by having a limit of two to a family so more people could buy these or other items that are big sellers this year. These stores made quick sale and now what! :crash:

When we go into a store and buy the main item we want we also buy many other items for Christmas so store makes sales.

How many people knowing they can not buy the item they want will go into a store and spend money for other items they really don't care about, not many!

PHIL

When I went to buy a special item at Best Buy and found them out of stock, I went to bestbuy.com and bought it there. I even had a pick up at store option. I did not look to see if your Wii item was there. Try it...

frenchieinme :hi:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Frequently stores limit quantities so this can't happen and so they don't alienate other customers. Too bad Best Buy didn't have this policy. It's also too bad the news station publicized it, which may make people think it's the right thing to do.

A big thumbs down to Best Buy, the person and his wife, and the news station.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
It wasn't just Best Buy but Target,Walmart,Sears,Toy's Rs K-mart and others! :annoyed:

All these stores did same thing and made great one day sale.

Walmart the company to bring all honest working people's wages down had the nerve to not sell the game but made it the whole package so people had to also buy the things they didn't need to play the game and still sold out on Friday! Also had employee killed opening the doors for these low-lifes to run in and buy the top selling items. :crash:

Also on-line all these companies marked out of stock!

I don't shop on E-bay because of many reasons so we will find something else to buy her at decent price and not these low-lifes that stand outside stores for days just to buy these items and then rip everyone off on E-bay.

PHIL

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, Phil. Sounds like you are just a little bit upset and lashing out over this.

There's always one or more hot item that's hard to get. I remember the Wii itself was very hard to get when it first came out. I also remember how hard it was to find a Talking Elmo for my daughter when she was a baby. My ex-wife managed to find one somewhere, and my daughter loved it. She used to just crack up whenever she played with it.

The problem is usually that the manufacturer didn't realize that the item would be the hot item of the year, and can't meet demand for the item. Though, the Wii Fit has been out for a while now, it's hard to understand why there aren't enough of them out there. As with other hot products, people form a secondary market in them, which adds to the problem for those that want one, but with or without that secondary market, the item would still be difficult to find. (Remember the iPhone when it was first launched?)

As with the Wii, I think there's probably one of those websites that tracks availability for the Wii Fit, but you'll have to search for it to find it.

Hang in there, Phil.

-David

Last edited:

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Particularly at a time of economic downturn vendors will take the route of guaranteed small profit now i.e. reduced price in the sales, against the possibility of a larger profit later. It's all about cashflow. If they don't have money going through the tills they go bust, then they don't sell anything.
That isn't stupid, that's good business practice. Some may consider 'stupid' not buying in the sale and waiting to pay more for the same item later. Some may, but I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 years ago we camped out for the Wii. That's an experience I'll never forget (I hated it, but it was kind of cool). This year my husband went out at 7 am Black Friday and got the Fit. The whole thing is so nutty. I'm glad my son will have that gift, but cut WAY back this year.

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea I made a good "score" on Black Friday. I thought the Wii Fit looked like fun and went out and got it along with a Guitar Hero thing (don't ask me--it was on dd's list but it's World Tour and GH3 bundled together, I think) and MarioKart for Wii at a local GameStop that's in a strip mall as opposed to the one in the "mall mall". The store, by the way, was virtually empty when I was there at about 8 AM and they had plenty of both. On Tuesday I went back to get a couple of DS games, and I did notice there were no more of either Fit or the Guitar Hero bundle on display.

I just checked GameStop's website for you, thinking you might be able to order Fit from them, but it's not available.

On a related note, has anybody seen the commercials for Guitar Hero that knock off Tom Cruise's famous "Old Time Rock and Roll" scene from Risky Business? I saw one last night with Kobe Bryant, some other athletes whose names I can't recall right now and Michael Phelps--hilarious!! My dd is a HUGE Phelps fan and she got just as excited over him as I used to about Tom!

thedawglb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for the Wii Fit for my wife for Christmas and have been looking on line and calling the local stores for 2 weeks. I called all three Wal Marts in town this morning and the 3rd one told me they had 10 units delivered this morning (the first one laughed at me). I bought three for friends and family that wanted them, there were 2 other ladies behind me that bought the remaining fits and both of them were calling friends to ask if they wanted them before they bought them. I don't think that everyone is buying multiple units to sell for a profit, most are probably just trying to help others out. I would suggest calling Gamestops, Wal Marts, and Best Buys each morning around 10. I did figure out that if I were willing to drive to any smaller town around 30 miles from my home, that the Wii Fits were readily available.

senorak

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used the "alert website" to buy both my Wii system last year (xmas '07) and the Wii fit this year. You can enter both email and cell phone, and get "alerts" as to when the games/system becomes available. I got both of my Wii items for regular price, plus free shipping. Good luck.

http://www.wiialerts.com/

Deb

Reaction score
I just bought a Wii Fit on eBay for $138, shipping included. I think it sucks that some jacka$$ bought up all the Wii Fit for resale and the store allowed that to happen. On the other hand, I'll do what I can within reason to secure the gifts that people want.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Wow, just a month ago, there were stacks of Wii Fits at my local Toys R Us.

When it first came out, I paid $5 to reserve it and then picked it up and paid the remaining $84 two weeks later. I didn't realize that there was such a demand now!

Regarding the actual Wiis, we had to wait a year after it first came out to walk into a store and buy one without sleeping overnight. Then I found three more on random visits over the next year, and I sold these to friends/family for my cost because they had been looking for them. Two weeks ago, I picked one up for my sister at Costco.

Gotta love the miles on my credit card :D .

Good luck with your Wii Fit search. If I see one, should I buy it for a TUGer who needs one?

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Also, try going to the smaller video game stores like Game Stop and Funcoland. When the bigger stores were sold out of the Wii they had them in stock.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea I made a good "score" on Black Friday. I thought the Wii Fit looked like fun and went out and got it along with a Guitar Hero thing (don't ask me--it was on dd's list but it's World Tour and GH3 bundled together, I think) and MarioKart for Wii at a local GameStop that's in a strip mall as opposed to the one in the "mall mall". The store, by the way, was virtually empty when I was there at about 8 AM and they had plenty of both. On Tuesday I went back to get a couple of DS games, and I did notice there were no more of either Fit or the Guitar Hero bundle on display.

I just checked GameStop's website for you, thinking you might be able to order Fit from them, but it's not available.

Thank you for trying and of all stores for you to mention and I have never heard of it! A lady that works with my wife on the way home in Pacifica Ca stopped at a little game store GameStop and they just had three going on the shelf so she grabbed one and called us to see if we still wanted it.

This was just blind luck and I heard my wife saying yes,yes grab it.
She asked if she could buy two and owner stated one to a family,to bad all stores don't work this way. :banana:

It's not like some store will be stuck with these after Christmas because it is one of the top games out there now!:shrug:

Not only did she get it but the store charged her the regular $89.00 plus tax!:clap:

This was pay back I guess because last year she wanted the main game unit and couldn't get it in the North Bay area at all.

My wife knowing this found a store that had them and put one in the shopping cart and called her.

We are 75 miles away from Pacifica Ca and some times it makes a small difference!

PHIL

Last edited:

nickis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you got one as we just left gamestop and they had a bunch.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been interested in the WII for exercise, where could I go to try one out?
It wouldn't need to be for Christmas. What do they cost?
Thanks,
Liz

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
GameStop is great. The employees are always very friendly and helpful at ours.

Liz, you can probably try out a Wii at a GameStop (call first--different stores have different things set up), but I've never seen a Wii game that was anything like a workout. They're active, but not like workout active.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Last week I walked into the Game Stop at the Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo (CA) on my way home - picked up a Wi Fit for $89+tax - no problem. Earlier in the day they were selling for ~$140 on eBay at an extremely brisk pace. Glad I decided to stop by Game Stop. I asked the manager why the difference - he eluded to the typical 'gotta have it now panic'.

We are loving our Wii Sports and Wii Fit - Wii fit is not as good as a real workout (granted), but still gets me off of my butt. We have a 58 inch HD TV - so the visual is very impactful. The balancing would be dificult to mimic in a normal workout.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week I walked into the Game Stop at the Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo (CA) on my way home - picked up a Wi Fit for $89+tax - no problem. Earlier in the day they were selling for ~$140 on eBay at an extremely brisk pace. Glad I decided to stop by Game Stop. I asked the manager why the difference - he eluded to the typical 'gotta have it now panic'.

We are loving our Wii Sports and Wii Fit - Wii fit is not as good as a real workout (granted), but still gets me off of my butt. We have a 58 inch HD TV - so the visual is very impactful. The balancing would be dificult to mimic in a normal workout.

Dave everyone had them last week,up til black Friday Morning. I wish we had known our daughter wanted one for Christmas last week too!:wall:

The one good thing is and I wonder if it is because all these people now trying to sell it on E-bay but stores are getting more in. They don't last long and you need to almost be standing there when they are loaded on the shelf to get one.:rolleyes:

I had signed on for e-mail at K-mart/Sears to be told when they came in and last night at 6:33 pm I had e-mail that I could go on-line and get it. Problem was it was now 9 pm Ca time and they again were sold out. Don't know if they are east coast time zone so I have no idea how much time difference.:annoyed:

Lucky for us a friend in Pacifica found us one and bougth it.

I hope all the stores load up on these so all these E-bay people take the screwing their trying to give us buyers.:banana: