• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Maui Westin?

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking to reserve a one bedroom in Maui for this fall using SVN points. There will be two of us.

We would like to be central to the pools and have an ocean view. While we have visited the location on a presentation, we have never stayed at the Westin and it has been years since we checked out the properties. We generally stay at the Marriott Ocean Club.

Which Westin would you recommend? Is the oceanfront view that we should expect as a non-owner in Hawaii worth it if we reserve an oceanfront unit.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I believe the only way to ensure an ocean view with StarOptions would be to reserve an Oceanfront (paying through premium of course).

Nanea does not have many 1BR units and I’m unsure how many (if any) have ocean view. Might be tough to pick up what you want here.

WKORV you will risk getting a view overlooking the parking lot with a SO exchange (unless OF). Note most of the studios here don’t have a lanai to sit on so you would want to have the 1BR.

WKORV-N there are no units overlooking a parking lot. Even the resort views are pretty nice. Both 1BR and studio sides have a lanai to sit on.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
If you are getting a studio, then definitely North property (because of the Lanai). If you are getting a 1 bedroom, then I would consider the south as it seems to be slightly quieter and closer to Aunties for breakfast. Plus the beach is less rocky the farther South you go. Nanea is beautiful... for 2 bedrooms.. I wouldn't stay at a 1 bedroom at Nanea, unless you get lucky and get the free 2 bedroom upgrade since the ones are in demand, but you can't count on that. They both have their advantages, it really depends whether you want to be closer to the sports bar (north) or the restaurant (south). otherwise, you totally share the property..

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We are looking to reserve a one bedroom in Maui for this fall using SVN points. There will be two of us.

We would like to be central to the pools and have an ocean view. While we have visited the location on a presentation, we have never stayed at the Westin and it has been years since we checked out the properties. We generally stay at the Marriott Ocean Club.

Which Westin would you recommend? Is the oceanfront view that we should expect as a non-owner in Hawaii worth it if we reserve an oceanfront unit.

I'm confused:
  • SVN points? You mean Star Options? or do you mean Bonvoy points? As far as I know there is no such thing as SVN points now.
  • Nanea is UBER expensive in points/SO's. I would NOT recommend it. Noise, smells, views...there are some drawbacks. Now the 3br ocean front....that's another, expensive gorgeous option.
  • I am able to see oceanview/islandview bonvoy points reservations at the south, so there is more than one type of reservation. Oceanfront? not sure about that.. sorry
  • North is quiet, better views and lanai's.
my2cents

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think that North may be the best option for us but I will consider South.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
You may not have a choice. The ocean front units are few and far between at 8 months out, so you may not even have that option. Otherwise, you may get an ocean view, but it will typically be a narrow view between buildings. Just as an example, the last 2 times we went to North and SOuth, and in both cases could barely see the ocean over the little kids pirate ship pool. After that experience, we decided we won't go back unless we can confirm ocean front. Not worth the trip from Florida to get a bad view.

Last edited:

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may not have a choice. The ocean front units are few and far between at 8 months out, so you may not even have that option. Otherwise, you may get an ocean view, but it will typically be a narrow view between buildings. Just as an example, the last 2 times we went to North and SOuth, and in both cases could barely see the ocean over the little kids pirate ship pool.
Ah yes, the oft-quoted pirate ship view. That's what we got the ONE single time we were able to get into WKORV (we were in North) in summer at 8 months on SOs. Still had a great time, though. But it was back in 2012. No luck since.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We are here now and scored an oceanfront building 8 reserved at 8 months.. We are loving it despite the weather this week. Ìt is so worth it if you can get OF. We typically get horrible views otherwise but hey it's Maui so all is good

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are here now and scored an oceanfront building 8 reserved at 8 months.. We are loving it despite the weather this week. Ìt is so worth it if you can get OF. We typically get horrible views otherwise but hey it's Maui so all is good

Which building were you in?

If we have a choice for an oceanfront one bedroom (larger / premium) in WKORV-N or WKORV, which would be the better choice regarding view.

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
WKORV has the better one bedroom ocean front view, but they are hard to get on a staroption reservation. We were able to get one at WKORVN last fall on the 3rd floor of building 8 and enjoyed it. Here is our view:
1582577715283.jpeg

Last edited:

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
If you book Oceanfront for extra StarOptions:

WKORV - great oceanfront views, but very hard to get
WKORVN - "worse" oceanfront views, but easier to get

If you book non-oceanfront with StarOptions, you will likely get island view:

WKORV - you risk a parking lot view, don't do it
WKORVN - good island views

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We were in building 8, North 1st floor looking
south booked with SOs. We reserved a studio and a 1 bedroom and they put them together for us. We were just lucky.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
I'm writing this in a one bedroom at the Nanea (room 8507). Jabberwocky and several others who recommend the KOR-North are absolutely correct. First, Nanea has no studio or one bedroom oceanfronts - so that's not an option for you as a couple. Between North and South, the South studios have what they describe as a "French balcony"...it's enough to step out but not room for a chair or table. Nowhere near the MOC studio (if you are familiar with Napili/Lahaina oceanfront studios) lanais. The North lanais would be the closest to MOCs.

We are new to the Westin Maui resorts (purchased Nanea when it first became available but before it was built) after being with MVC since the MOC was transformed from a hotel into timeshares. We purchased one-bedroom because we became empty nesters and thought buying one-bedroom was all we needed (this was before I learned about TUG and resale options). We also were very attracted by Westin's studio layout which has washer-dryers and stove tops, microwaves, etc in the room. However, we didn't realize Nanea had only very few one-bedrooms and the design of the rooms are quite puzzling. For example, unlike MOC, where the ocean-views are very nice, the room I'm in for example - which is apparently considered one of the better rooms (athough technically "resort view") - has the view of the ocean partially blocked by the ocean-front two and three bedrooms! I don't blame Westin for wanting more 2 and 3 bedroom oceanfronts but they definitely could have made more money by redesigning the buildings so they could charge more for rooms with better ocean-views also (kinda like the Waiohai Beach Club). Also, the Nanea one bedroom has only one sink and the shower is in a tub and to top that, the washer-dryer is in the same bathroom! It's a much larger bathroom but so poorly designed! We have also stayed at the KOR-North and I actually prefer this resort to the Nanea except that my wife says there are too many rug-rats around the pools (Nanea has an adult only plunge pool). Net, from somebody who has significant experience with MOC oceanfront villas, see if you can get WKOR-North. If you want to be assured of ocean-front, may have to pay up to make sure you can get the desired view. Good luck.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You should post photo on Vistana Balcony View thread (w Resort and Location).

Glad you got some ocean view. I agree the design of Nanea is out of sorts with eerie hallways. We ended up in a 2Bd (w 1Bd reservation) due to lack of 1Bds. Parking Lot View.

I prefer the south resort WKORV (at exactly 12, 8 months out) - I find it to be more open with the distance between B2-B3, the others seemed more cramped.

Plus - the reef outside is really nice.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
The adult-only hot tub at North is nicely located for sunsets (i.e. closer to the ocean than the South hot tub). I'd also say the main pool at south is better than the North main pool, but only marginally so. North does have an adult-only pool, but it's tucked away in a corner/surrounded by tall buildings (so no view whatsoever, and it's in shade by noon). But if you can get an oceanfront South reservation, definitely take it over North oceanfront. The South oceanfronts are straight on/no obscured view (not even the 1st floor, in my opinion). If you can only get a North oceanfront, take it, but request floor 3 or higher (to help avoid any obscured views, especially the dreaded ground floor "oceanfront" restaurant view in Bld 5).

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks. This is helpful. I am leaning toward trying for Oceanfront North. There are so few units in South that I am guessing that we would get a low floor and / or side view. We may have a better shot at a good unit in North. Overlooking the pool is a plus too. The North pool looks nicer too.
You’re welcome. I don’t think you can lose with either locations.

In the South building, you can book either oceanfront (center) or oceanfront deluxe (corner) - see this old thread.
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...n-front-deluxe-center-corner-at-wkorv.262695/

This thread has photos of the view from the ground floor South oceanfront unit - https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/wkorv-ocean-front-view-blocked-by-untrimmed-vines.288492

Good Luck and Please share your Balcony view in this thread (link).

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Just found this helpful thread. I snagged a 1br at North in March. We'll move on to Kingsland on Hawaii from there.

All I do is cancel and re-book trips these days. Let's hope this one sticks. The testing facility is just down the street from my house prior to our Alaska flight.

Last edited by a moderator: