• Please check out the review contest thread here vote for the best review and cast your vote for the best review to start 2020! winner gets a $50 gift card!
  • The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 26 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG is starting a new contest that will award $50 to the best review submitted within the next two weeks!!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $14,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $14 Million dollars
  • We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Maui Westin?

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking to reserve a one bedroom in Maui for this fall using SVN points. There will be two of us.

We would like to be central to the pools and have an ocean view. While we have visited the location on a presentation, we have never stayed at the Westin and it has been years since we checked out the properties. We generally stay at the Marriott Ocean Club.

Which Westin would you recommend? Is the oceanfront view that we should expect as a non-owner in Hawaii worth it if we reserve an oceanfront unit.

jabberwocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO (EOY), WKORV-N (EOY), Westin Flex (EOY)
I believe the only way to ensure an ocean view with StarOptions would be to reserve an Oceanfront (paying through premium of course).

Nanea does not have many 1BR units and I’m unsure how many (if any) have ocean view. Might be tough to pick up what you want here.

WKORV you will risk getting a view overlooking the parking lot with a SO exchange (unless OF). Note most of the studios here don’t have a lanai to sit on so you would want to have the 1BR.

WKORV-N there are no units overlooking a parking lot. Even the resort views are pretty nice. Both 1BR and studio sides have a lanai to sit on.

Moparman42

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea, Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
If you are getting a studio, then definitely North property (because of the Lanai). If you are getting a 1 bedroom, then I would consider the south as it seems to be slightly quieter and closer to Aunties for breakfast. Plus the beach is less rocky the farther South you go. Nanea is beautiful... for 2 bedrooms.. I wouldn't stay at a 1 bedroom at Nanea, unless you get lucky and get the free 2 bedroom upgrade since the ones are in demand, but you can't count on that. They both have their advantages, it really depends whether you want to be closer to the sports bar (north) or the restaurant (south). otherwise, you totally share the property..

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We are looking to reserve a one bedroom in Maui for this fall using SVN points. There will be two of us.

We would like to be central to the pools and have an ocean view. While we have visited the location on a presentation, we have never stayed at the Westin and it has been years since we checked out the properties. We generally stay at the Marriott Ocean Club.

Which Westin would you recommend? Is the oceanfront view that we should expect as a non-owner in Hawaii worth it if we reserve an oceanfront unit.
I'm confused:
  • SVN points? You mean Star Options? or do you mean Bonvoy points? As far as I know there is no such thing as SVN points now.
  • Nanea is UBER expensive in points/SO's. I would NOT recommend it. Noise, smells, views...there are some drawbacks. Now the 3br ocean front....that's another, expensive gorgeous option.
  • I am able to see oceanview/islandview bonvoy points reservations at the south, so there is more than one type of reservation. Oceanfront? not sure about that.. sorry
  • North is quiet, better views and lanai's.
my2cents

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think that North may be the best option for us but I will consider South.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
You may not have a choice. The ocean front units are few and far between at 8 months out, so you may not even have that option. Otherwise, you may get an ocean view, but it will typically be a narrow view between buildings. Just as an example, the last 2 times we went to North and SOuth, and in both cases could barely see the ocean over the little kids pirate ship pool. After that experience, we decided we won't go back unless we can confirm ocean front. Not worth the trip from Florida to get a bad view.

Last edited:

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may not have a choice. The ocean front units are few and far between at 8 months out, so you may not even have that option. Otherwise, you may get an ocean view, but it will typically be a narrow view between buildings. Just as an example, the last 2 times we went to North and SOuth, and in both cases could barely see the ocean over the little kids pirate ship pool.
Ah yes, the oft-quoted pirate ship view. That's what we got the ONE single time we were able to get into WKORV (we were in North) in summer at 8 months on SOs. Still had a great time, though. But it was back in 2012. No luck since.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We are here now and scored an oceanfront building 8 reserved at 8 months.. We are loving it despite the weather this week. Ìt is so worth it if you can get OF. We typically get horrible views otherwise but hey it's Maui so all is good