• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When will you feel good about travel again

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I will not pay good money for a not so good experience so no far away vacations for us. Not fearful of COVID. Just why pay a lot of money for something that is less than wonderful?

So no plans except our timeshares and even those are not looking good if no pool. The pool is important to me. The gym in our NH timeshare is important to me also. The activities. What's the point?

We already live in a vacation area and all these COVID convoluted and confusing rules and closings take the the joy out of everything. If everything was open and normal like it used to be I would have no reservations about using them. I'd eat inside a restaurant. I would go to a gym. I would swim in a pool with other people in it. I would go on the MS MT Washington and mail boats on the lake here. I would go to a theater and a play. I would take an in person college class. I would join an organization. I would go to a party.

I would not wait until I am in a wheelchair to do the things I want to do right now in my first real year of retirement.

Right now I visit the beach/boardwalk here that supposedly is not open but is open because the parking is open. I walk to the lake almost every day with a group of residents here. No masks and frankly not much distancing between us now. We did go to a beautiful state park the other day that was closed. We parked on the side of the road and walked in and walked the beach and sat on an unsanitized picnic table and took in the spectacular scenery. Another day we went up north to Lake Chocorua and walked there, taking in the gorgeous scenery. Only cost us gas.

I visited a country store a few times and bought some things for our home. Had take out only twice. Have not eaten outside at a restaurant yet just because we don't eat out a lot to begin with, but we will do that. I am planning to have a friend visit soon and I don't care about the distancing thing and no we won't be wearing masks.. I visited her way up north a couple of weeks ago and had a nice visit. Also- a neighbor took 8 of us out on his pontoon on the lake and it was wonderful.

With everything else going on as well, I am thankful we don't live in an urban area. We can staycation, which was our plan anyway for this year, though it is gravely reduced from our expectations.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I'd like to travel, and would consider traveling (even though we are totally isolated since March, ordering food etc) if we could find a good deal in a more isolated area. It would be such a waste to go somewhere with beautiful amenities I won't feel comfortable using....but a house on an isolated beach (i.e. not Hilton Head or Clearwater, etc) or a private cabin in the mountains (not Wyndham in the Smokies or somewhere busy). I'd want somewhere with basically no community gathering spots (somewhere private to bike, hike, walk & relax...….kinda like home, LOL....but a change of scenery)
VRBO or AirBnB?

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I am sure I've posted this on other threads already...

We leave by CRV at the end of the month to stay at a new Bern NC timeshare. We will spend one night enroute in Lexington VA at a Hampton Inn. Then on to our DD et al in Mt. Pleasant SC for the 4th & beyond. Returning home will include another night in a Hampton Inn TBD.

Will likely be cancelling our Sept. t/s stay at Royal Regency, FR.

Reconsidering our October planned visit to my sisses & spouses who live near Portland OR. The guys have seriously compromised health and my big worry is what we might unwittingly bring to them via our flights from CLE-PDX.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@WinniWoman IT sounds like you are making new friends and building your social circle in your home. Happy for you. That's what it's all about. I have decided I am going to move in about a year. I will be doing it alone . My biggest fear is developing friendships in a new place, alone.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
@WinniWoman IT sounds like you are making new friends and building your social circle in your home. Happy for you. That's what it's all about. I have decided I am going to move in about a year. I will be doing it alone . My biggest fear is developing friendships in a new place, alone.
Get involved. When dh and I moved from California to New Mexico we knew exactly two people, his sister and our bil. They did help us get started but after awhile we were flying on our own. We are both retired so our situation is a lot different, but we joined organizations, did volunteer work, and we have absolutely amazing neighbors. I may be prejudiced, but one organization I would suggest you look into wherever you move is AAUW (American Association of University Women). I joined soon after we moved here. Some of my closest friends have come from that organization.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent 2 weeks in our next door neighbor state in a time share, and had a great time. Only 4 or 5 units in the whole resort were occupied. Got my hair cut {YAY}, and of course headed to fav. places for pick up for dinner. We will be heading out again in a week to another state. If the borders in Europe ever reopen to the USA we are heading to whoever opens first. Have a trip booked to Bavaria starting July 3rd and REALLY hope Angela Merkle opens up the borders to us. United has told me that if there is a problem getting in we would be stopped from boarding at the airport. We will just show up and if we can't board just head home. Nothing ventured nothing gained. We are very good at going with the flow and never get addled.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Get involved. When dh and I moved from California to New Mexico we knew exactly two people, his sister and our bil. They did help us get started but after awhile we were flying on our own. We are both retired so our situation is a lot different, but we joined organizations, did volunteer work, and we have absolutely amazing neighbors. I may be prejudiced, but one organization I would suggest you look into wherever you move is AAUW (American Association of University Women). I joined soon after we moved here. Some of my closest friends have come from that organization.
Thank you Luanne! I will absolutely do that. I know I'll have to "put myself out there", so to speak. My wonderful mother was an AAUW member for many years XOXOXO. I'm super scared by this life decision but I'm ready!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

@Cornell - As soon as someone here mentioned that a small group of them walk every morning I knew we should join in if we ever wanted to have some kind of socializing. I made hubby do it also. It helped that this community has a Facebook page. Since there is nothing else is going on due to this stupid virus, it was better than nothing.

The small group (8-10 people) walks right by our home, so it's easy to join in. We are now on the text list in case a time or place changes. The people in this little group have all lived here about 3 years (their homes built by the previous builder) and live next door to each other so we really are the newbies. They are all retired also, though one younger woman right now is on a furlough from her job.

This also has led to an evening card game with one of the couple one time when the others were busy with their children and grandchildren on Memorial weekend. I was so tired that day and we are not even into cards or any games really but I forced us to go and we had a lovely time.

The community is supposedly opening up the pool here, but it is very small so I do not know how that will really work out with the distancing. Also- clubhouse is not being utilized much because no parties or HOA meetings being held.

One woman in the group made us Easter bread and another one made me 5 bean salad. One bought me flour and gave me yeast when she heard I couldn't find any. People ring our doorbell (something we never had- a doorbell). This having neighbors is so new to us it feels a little awkward.

Anyway, all I can recommend is if you move you might want to look at a situation like this. This community is something like a very scaled down 55+. 1/2 snowbirds and weekenders and 1/2 full time. Some people work and some are retired. But no age restrictions. Our immediate neighbors to the left of our house are in their 30's (though the woman's dad actually owns the house). So a nice mix. Will be a total of like 85 homes when the last 5 lots are sold.

It is one of those kind pf places that looks like it would be in Florida the way the homes are small and close together.

Winter is very quiet as you can imagine. Summers it is busier. If this weer a normal time I would still maybe join one outside organization. One woman here belongs to a crafters club in meredith since there is nothing like that that goes on inside our community. (It is not like a Flordia type community in that one respect. People here just organze their own things with others that are interested. There's a bulletin board int he clubhouse).

Our house is little and very manageable. When we walk to get our mail at the clubhouse, we always seem to end up talking to people on the way. Same with just sitting on our front porch. People walking by or going by in their golf carts sometimes stop to chat. Just a wave and a hello feels nice, too.

Pre COVID there were a few organized activities that went on. Being in a vacation area and surrounded by nature also helps if wanting to get out and about, though, of course, there are restrictions.

I know you are younger, but as nice as people are, they are still not like our old, long time friends, who I do speak with on the phone occasionally. There just is not the past history behind the relationship. Also here, the people are mainly from Massachusetts so they all relate to each other. So being from NY we don't. We actually relate a bit more to the Vermont couple that lives here since we have vacationed there for over 20 years. But anyway- everyone we have met so far- all very nice and all will drop everything to help you out in a heartbeat. These New Englanders are do it yourselfers. They are always assisting each other- like help with fixing or installing this or that. Really great.

So my suggestion is when you move to put yourself in a situation where it is easy to meet people and force yourself to join in with some things. That is key.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Deleted

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMO...I am less concerned about the airplane unless it is a long-haul flight because they are as clean as possible. More concerned about the other areas: airport, Ubers, restaurants, activities etc.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thank you Luanne! I will absolutely do that. I know I'll have to "put myself out there", so to speak. My wonderful mother was an AAUW member for many years XOXOXO. I'm super scared by this life decision but I'm ready!
Also, if your new community has a Newcomer's group, check that out as well. Besides meeting new people it's usually a good way to get to know the area. Do you have any ideas of where you might want to settle?

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Future travel for us is a big I don’t know. Our DD moved in with us 3 weeks ago. She abandoned her apartment. We have to deal with emptying it, get storage facility & hire movers. We need to deal with Covid & the rioting. The riots are our biggest concern since her apartment is in the riot zone.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, if your new community has a Newcomer's group, check that out as well. Besides meeting new people it's usually a good way to get to know the area. Do you have any ideas of where you might want to settle?
I'm thinking along the lines of AZ, TX, NV. I no longer want the extremes of Chicago winter. Want to be somewhere where I can enjoy a lot of outdoor recreation; live in a safe area. Also don't want to be in a remote area. I like to travel so near an airport, but NOT in the heart of a city. Some of this will depend on where my daughter winds up going to college. I live near my mother currently and I always figured I'd stay put while she's still with us. But I'm growing increasingly unhappy where I live and my mother would never want to hold me back from my life. Being near an airport would allow me to visit her regularly too.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently on a trip to mvci willow ridge lodge, so, not against travel. DW is super high risk/mortality so avoiding airports for now, driving only. But I always loved to drive so not a big deal. A timeshare seems no less safe than home really.

While we were planning on Kenya in December, my guess is we probably will not.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
For Cornell
I'm thinking along the lines of AZ, TX, NV. I no longer want the extremes of Chicago winter. Want to be somewhere where I can enjoy a lot of outdoor recreation; live in a safe area. Also don't want to be in a remote area. I like to travel so near an airport, but NOT in the heart of a city. Some of this will depend on where my daughter winds up going to college.
I'd consider renting a place in a planned community that has activities: yoga, bird watching, card games, investments, travel, fishing, whatever, etc., so you have a network of existing things to join and make friends. After 8 months, if it's the place you want, start looking for something to buy. If it's not, then you can keep renting or try somewhere else.
Being near an airport assures you're a quick flight back to Chicago if needed.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Will likely be staying close to home for a year or so - partly due to the virus but also because we volunteered to provide the first year of daycare for our new granddaughter, born the end of March. We'll be starting later this month and her parents won't have much vacation time for a while. I was glad we could volunteer to help them out, but thought missing out on traveling would be hard. The virus has made it less of a sacrifice!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm thinking along the lines of AZ, TX, NV. I no longer want the extremes of Chicago winter. Want to be somewhere where I can enjoy a lot of outdoor recreation; live in a safe area. Also don't want to be in a remote area. I like to travel so near an airport, but NOT in the heart of a city. Some of this will depend on where my daughter winds up going to college. I live near my mother currently and I always figured I'd stay put while she's still with us. But I'm growing increasingly unhappy where I live and my mother would never want to hold me back from my life. Being near an airport would allow me to visit her regularly too.
Be prepared for heat during the summer, but at least in AZ and NV it will be dry heat.

geekette

Reaction score
Personally, TX is constantly uncomfortably humid, I wouldn't trade Chicago for that. At least the desert cools down at night. I really like Phoenix, myself, have considered that general area. Like you, I want to be within an hour of an airport.

You might take a look at Places Rated, a big ole reference I ran across decades ago. Also take a look at linked "tax map", so you can compare income and expenses appropriately.

Meanwhile, I am wrestling with what I thought I wanted, so your post kind of triggered me. I have been enjoying the pure simplicity of just planting stuff, watching it grow, smelling roses, lilacs, whatever is in bloom, seeing the pops of color finally show up... I don't want to come inside. I like being in the dirt, keep bringing in cut flowers to make inside like the outside.

I am strongly considering chucking this life and heading to the NC wilderness to be an organic farmer. My friend building the big camp needs a farmer and a cook. I live pretty simply, already, but living off the land has an appeal that is getting much stronger in me.

I will see how this next trip goes. How happy am I to return home, to the life I built? Will I want to be back at camp immediately, wishing I hadn't left? I could stay down there up to 2 weeks this time, not sure I will. I may miss modern conveniences too much (might be another year before a well is drilled; solar power is installed).

Events of the past few years, and now this year, have me rethinking the future I thought I wanted. Every time I talk to a recruiter, I later end up with this PTSD-type thing, where I just don't seem to want the crazy any more, the thought of resuming IT career just brings stress. Access to mountains and beach appeals to me. I think I might want to decrease the living expenses and head for peaceful vs ever again do the stressful career.

Can you tell me how you decided to move? All of my previous moves were job-related so this is a new feeling. I hadn't planned to move in retirement. Now, I'm giving it serious consideration.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@Cornell When looking at Arizona, take a look at Tempe. It seems to be rated well, and it's a college town with a lot going on. One of my friends from worked retired there. She did her research, and since she wanted to live in a college town she picked that one.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I'm not a mod, but maybe we should start a new thread: Why/how did you decide to move if now job related?
As it's a great topic of interest IMHO. I'll post one--and reply later.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Personally, TX is constantly uncomfortably humid, I wouldn't trade Chicago for that. At least the desert cools down at night. I really like Phoenix, myself, have considered that general area. Like you, I want to be within an hour of an airport.

You might take a look at Places Rated, a big ole reference I ran across decades ago. Also take a look at linked "tax map", so you can compare income and expenses appropriately.

Meanwhile, I am wrestling with what I thought I wanted, so your post kind of triggered me. I have been enjoying the pure simplicity of just planting stuff, watching it grow, smelling roses, lilacs, whatever is in bloom, seeing the pops of color finally show up... I don't want to come inside. I like being in the dirt, keep bringing in cut flowers to make inside like the outside.

I am strongly considering chucking this life and heading to the NC wilderness to be an organic farmer. My friend building the big camp needs a farmer and a cook. I live pretty simply, already, but living off the land has an appeal that is getting much stronger in me.

I will see how this next trip goes. How happy am I to return home, to the life I built? Will I want to be back at camp immediately, wishing I hadn't left? I could stay down there up to 2 weeks this time, not sure I will. I may miss modern conveniences too much (might be another year before a well is drilled; solar power is installed).

Events of the past few years, and now this year, have me rethinking the future I thought I wanted. Every time I talk to a recruiter, I later end up with this PTSD-type thing, where I just don't seem to want the crazy any more, the thought of resuming IT career just brings stress. Access to mountains and beach appeals to me. I think I might want to decrease the living expenses and head for peaceful vs ever again do the stressful career.

Can you tell me how you decided to move? All of my previous moves were job-related so this is a new feeling. I hadn't planned to move in retirement. Now, I'm giving it serious consideration.

I know you asked this of Cornell but my two cents: everyone has a personal reason regarding moving. I have read that most people actually do not move in retirement, despite what we are made to believe. This is due to the fact that many have well established and familiar networks nearby, including medical, family and friends. Homes might be paid off and comfortable, etc. Plus it costs a lot of money to move and it’s a lot of work with a lot of pieces that have to be dealt with.

Others decide to be snowbirds due to weather which has been discussed at length here on TUG.

For us it was a few things: taxes, politics, lack of family and close friends nearby (though some in our state anywhere from 1-3 hours away (but we rarely, if ever, saw them anyway). And we wanted to be closer to where our son lives, though we knew if he moved we would not follow him.

We also needed to downsize from a big house and large tract of land to a smaller home with a small lot and less maintenance. It is a cottage and the ultimate in simplification. Another thing- though not an absolute, but preferred- was that buying the home would not cost us more than what we could get for our house plus all expenses involved in selling and buying- that was including all the total moving expenses, temporary rental house overage from what we paid monthly in taxes on our former home, attorney and realtor fees and other closing costs on both houses and additional home improvements and expenses we would more or less immediately incur once we bought the house, like bathroom mirrors, the radon mitigation system, ceiling fan install, porch chairs, artwork, shelving and cabinets for the basement, TV and sound system install, garage vinyl floor mat, bidets, under cabinet puck lights, etc. etc. (Yes- I added them all up). And we came almost exactly on target. Still have about $10,000 leftover which could go to a whole house generator next year- not sure. We do also have a few more things on the list but we are keeping things simple- did I mention that before? LOL!

This was a challenge to do in NH at this price point, believe me, but we did it.

We also knew it was not a good idea to age in a secluded area. That no longer working we would need to be around people sometimes and it was important to have some neighbors so we could socialize and also help each other.

Having 4 seasons was important to us as well as mountains and big, crystal clear lakes with beaches. And also a vacation vibe. We liked the idea of a small town or city in a rural area. Near health care providers and a hospital, though now we are out of luck with this virus and feel abandoned in that regard. We were not crazy about the hospital to begin with- not a great reputation and financial issues- but considering all other factors we decided on this area anyway. There are better hospitals not too far of a drive from here at least- maybe an hour to an hour and a half. There is no perfect location.

It needed to be tax friendly and at least lower property taxes than NY. We wanted also a certain type of culture and history, which New England fit that bill. And to be around some people with like minded politics and there is a group here that we are part of- though we have not been able to meet because of the virus.

In the end we were glad we could move to one of the two states that were our favorite places to vacation. And it helps they are side by side so we can visit the other one easily when this stupid lockdown is over.

One more thing- my husband was getting tired going to work at 65 years old. And we know my story of leaving my job. No way could I stomach ever going back to work. So with Tuggers routing me on and the ok of the financial advisor we hired we took the plunge into the steps to get here. Still doesn’t completely feel like home but we are working on it.

Hopes this helps.

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I am traveling to NH/VT this summer as long as the resorts are open. Will likely go to MO as well...that trip is to see my elderly parents. I could stay cooped up in the house, "safe." But that's not much of a life. I'll be cautious. But I'm going somewhere!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, TX is constantly uncomfortably humid, I wouldn't trade Chicago for that.

Best part about it! That's why there are 50 states I suppose, something for everyone. I am always outside no matter how hot or humid. Can't take the cold any more. From Cleveland OH, way way too cold for me now.

I guess we broke the mold if most do not move during retirement. We moved specifically because of retirement, smaller home, built just for us and our use, lower taxes. Only an hour from DFW airport, can get anywhere. We love to travel, so, international airport was key too.

I sure hope we get some more trips this year, just have to see how recovery goes.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Best part about it! That's why there are 50 states I suppose, something for everyone. I am always outside no matter how hot or humid. Can't take the cold any more. From Cleveland OH, way way too cold for me now.

I guess we broke the mold if most do not move during retirement. We moved specifically because of retirement, smaller home, built just for us and our use, lower taxes. Only an hour from DFW airport, can get anywhere. We love to travel, so, international airport was key too.

I sure hope we get some more trips this year, just have to see how recovery goes.
Yes, something for everyone! I kind of like snow.

I do know that the body can acclimate. One year that I knew I was going to Houston, I was lucky that we were hitting 90s early in the season, so I was able to get my body used to it, even able to do yard work. By the time I took the trip, I think it was early June, a graduation, I was tolerating heat just fine.

geekette

Reaction score
.....Still doesn’t completely feel like home but we are working on it.

that's going to be a big issue for me. A completely different way of living.