• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is Your Level of Anxiety/Worry/Stress?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 health wise and 2-3 financially. We are ok for a long time, my wife may have more work due to this.

Depending on the day, my long term anxiety meter can be high but not for one of the above, but about the general direction of a fragile modern society. I will not bore you with the details but I loved the World of Yesterday by Stefan Sweig, a book that I read many, many years ago. It was clearly shocking to me how normal, by today standards, the life in Austria had been before WW1. Pensions, health care, social net, a lot of things that you would expect in a modern society. We know what happened after that in Europe.

I am really concerned about how my kids are going to be in 20-30 years from now and what kind of world they will live in. I worry when people do not seem to care about governments and the Fed spending 10 trillion dollars that they do not have. My less than perfect English and my direct approach probably raised a lot of eye-browses here. I am of the believe that if this does not go back under control, stranger and stranger things will start to happen.

We just found out today about 31 Coronavirus victims in a nursery home. It is not believed that they died of Corona, rather they were abandoned by the staff who, like many others, feared for their lives more than other consequences. They might have died from hunger, left in their own juices. This is not a place for the poor, people pay 5,000-6,000 CAD (say 4000 USD) per month to be there.

I browse Facebook groups and I see teachers that do not want to go back to school until "everything is back to normal". Employees telling their employers they do not want to work. I do not even know it is because of the fear or just because they can now bully the company under the disguise of a health concern. Many renters do not want to pay rent. Who knows if they cannot afford it or if they just want to stick it to the landlords? A lot of government workers that love to stay home and get paid 100% while others accumulate loans, tax bills and others. There are a lot of physicians that are real heroes now but a lot of others that ask why do they have to risk their health and their families' while others collect their paycheque at home.

Should I not be worried?

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
2 health wise and 2-3 financially. We are ok for a long time, my wife may have more work due to this.

Depending on the day, my long term anxiety meter can be high but not for one of the above, but about the general direction of a fragile modern society. I will not bore you with the details but I loved the World of Yesterday by Stefan Sweig, a book that I read many, many years ago. It was clearly shocking to me how normal, by today standards, the life in Austria had been before WW1. Pensions, health care, social net, a lot of things that you would expect in a modern society. We know what happened after in Europe.

I am really concerned about how my kids are going to be in 20-30 years from now and what kind of world they will live in. I worry when people do not seem to care about governments and the Fed spending 10 trillion dollars that they do not have. My less than perfect English and my direct approach probably raised a lot of eyebrowses here. I am of the believe that if this does not go back under control, stranger and stranger things will start to happen.

We just found out of one today about 31 Coronavirus victims in a nursery home. It is not believed that the people died of Corona, rather they were just abandoned by the staff who, like many others, feared for their lives more than other consequences. They might have died from hunger, left in their own juices. This is not a place for the poor, people pay 5,000-6,000 CAD (say 4000 USD) per month to be there.

I browse Facebook forums and I see teachers that do not want to go back to school until "everything is back to normal". Employees telling their employers they do not want to work. I do not even know it is because of the fear or just because they can now bully the company under the disguise of a health concern. Many renters do not want to pay rent. Who knows if they cannot afford it or if they just want to stick it to the landlords? A lot of government workers that love to stay home and be paid 100% while others accumulate loans, tax bills and others. There are a lot of physicians that are real héros now but a lot of others that ask why do they have to risk their health and their families' while others collect their paycheque at home. Should I not be worried?
Since you asked “Should I not be worried?” My answer would be short term possibly, longer term no.
Every generation had a list of worries. Some worse then what is happening now.

IMO There are three ways to look at things

1- how bad things are (doom and gloom)
2- things can be worse (just accepting what is, will be)
3- strive to make things better (hope and breakthroughs)

I choose #3. Past history show things can change for the better and with the innovation and persistence of the human mind the possibilities are endless.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Eek apparently I am a stress case.

I am a O when it comes to financial as spouse and I are essential.

Work stress level is high. Probably a 7. The MD’s, lab technicians,and anesthesiologists all get N95’s but we as nurses have been told no. Even though we have more close contact to our patients. Things change everyday. Anxiety is contagious. I am fine at home but often tearful on the drive in.

I also worry for my brother in law. The flu took 70% of his heart function this would kill him. He and my sister deserve better.

Mom will be 79 this year but she has SIP since she heard seniors were effected more. I worried about her becoming depressed as she is a social butterfly. Overall she’s adjusting well and not a worry.

Per an MD at work 90% of the nurses will get Covid but of course not from work exposure :wall: .

Our November retirement date seems soooo far away but DH will not be swayed.

I go from being very concerned about the disease to less concerned . Depending on my location. I am no longer young, have BP issues and feel vulnerable.

Average it out and I think I am currently a 7, days off a 3.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I choose #3. Past history show things can change for the better and with the innovation and persistence of the human mind the possibilities are endless.

If you read the Black swan, he had a very interesting way of putting it. A turkey in a farm sees day after day that life is normal. It gets the food, it fools around, most days are happy. There is nothing to predict the day when it is on the chopper block.

I think I am an optimist by nature but the society needs to stay within certain parameters for life to continue to be how it normally is. If you look throughout the history civilizations and empires are rather temporary and many times you find chaos in between. There is nothing to guarantee or even suggest that life as we know it has to stay this way forever.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Work stress level is high. Probably a 7. The MD’s, lab technicians,and anesthesiologists all get N95’s but we as nurses have been told no. Even though we have more close contact to our patients. Things change everyday. Anxiety is contagious. I am fine at home but often tearful on the drive in.

I also worry for my brother in law. The flu took 70% of his heart function this would kill him. He and my sister deserve better.

Mom will be 79 this year but she has SIP since she heard seniors were effected more. I worried about her becoming depressed as she is a social butterfly. Overall she’s adjusting well and not a worry.

Per an MD at work 90% of the nurses will get Covid but of course not from work exposure :wall: .

I go from being very concerned about the disease to less concerned . Depending on my location. I am no longer young, have BP issues and feel vulnerable.

Thank you for sharing your worries. I think you are in a very difficult situation. Not fair at all that nurses are not getting the proper protective gear. As a nurse, you are on the front lines taking care of us all. My heart goes out to you when I think about you driving to work with tears in your eyes. I hope you and your family will be okay. Stay safe and healthy.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If you read the Black swan, he had a very interesting way of putting it. A turkey in a farm sees day after day that life is normal. It gets the food, it fools around, most days are happy. There is nothing to predict the day when it is on the chopper block.

I think I am an optimist by nature but the society needs to stay within certain parameters for life to continue to be how it normally is. If you look throughout the history civilizations and empires are rather temporary and many times chaos you find chaos in between. There is nothing to guarantee or even suggest that life as we know it has to stay this way forever.

I hate to agree with this, but it is true. I have thought about this for many years, well before now. So many great civilizations have disappeared over the centuries. The USA has only been a great power for about 200 years, maybe less. That is a blip in history. It is good to be optimistic. Like religion, it keeps us hopeful. I think it would be very normal right now to be worried. I am surprised at how many people are saying they are not worried because they are staying at home. SIP/SAH is a short term measure.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I think I am an optimist by nature but the society needs to stay within certain parameters for life to continue to be how it normally is. If you look throughout the history civilizations and empires are rather temporary and many times chaos you find chaos in between. There is nothing to guarantee or even suggest that life as we know it has to stay this way forever.
Life doesn’t stay the same, ever, it evolves, risk is everywhere. The comforts of normal today is no guarantee. You can simplify it to the good and bad but sometimes there are things we just do not have full control of like this virus. There is no evil society.

IMO there are enough of us that are trying to figure out the best course, treatments, cures, lifestyle, etc. Whereas no analysis or plan will be perfect and we will learn from trial and error, and Not have all the conveniences we want and are accustomed to, in time things will get better. That is how I see it even if other don’t.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
3-4
I was 5 months into my 6 month resort stay south of Cancun, when the chief concierge called to say my building was being closed and I needed to be moved to another building. The resort had already began to look like a ghost town. Canadians said “Our prime minister told all Canadians to come home to Canada.” One of the Canadian airlines were offering free flights back to Canada.

I reserved flights on American Airlines connecting in DFW. I received emails daily that AA cancelled or changed my flights.

A retired pharmacist I met at the resort emailed me March 10 suggesting I either prepare to stay in Mexico or fly to Omaha. She has a condo in downtown Lincoln, Nebraska and a home in Wyoming. I flew to Omaha on March 24. There is a grocery store, post office and pharmacy in walking distance.

My home over Lake Mendocino is wonderful but I have no perishable food at home and I bet it would require many trips to stores to get food.

I paid a lawyer to evict my tenants on my adjacent rental on the next land parcel. The realtor who I had listed all three parcels with my home and rental told me my tenants vacated in November. The lawyer did not complete the last step of the eviction - paying the sheriff to show up while a locksmith changes the locks. California now has a moratorium on evictions. My neighbor told me people were living in my rental but they were not the people I evicted. A Sheriff’s deputy went to the rental. He said the tenant said he was never evicted but acknowledged the restraining order a Judge granted last October. I might have to wait until the moratorium is lifted on evictions in California unless the default judgements to evict the tenants are enough for writ of possession.
Quite a curious story about the tenant. Wondering why realtor said tenants were gone? And why did the lawyer drop the ball?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm stuck on the part where you say you are denied a mask that is available to others?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hate to agree with this, but it is true. I have thought about this for many years, well before now. So many great civilizations have disappeared over the centuries. The USA has only been a great power for about 200 years, maybe less. That is a blip in history. It is good to be optimistic. Like religion, it keeps us hopeful. I think it would be very normal right now to be worried. I am surprised at how many people are saying they are not worried because they are staying at home. SIP/SAH is a short term measure.
My worry all along was I don’t want to need medical care, for any reason, and I cannot get it thus my reason for not wanting to get sick at the high point of the curve.

Staying home is boring, inconvenient, causing financial issues, etc, you know them all, but I am greatful I have a roof over my head, can pay my bills and have food to eat. Others do have these worries I do not which is the ultimate problem.

I just keep going back to what my parents experienced during WWII, had to leave their homes because the bombs were falling, living in the forest, lack of food, and when it was better mom was in a orphanage only getting a bowl of soup and one slice of bread to eat a day and she was the lucky one, not in a concentration camp, or gassed to death. Still both my parents never gave up hope. What is going on is horrible but in relation to what my parents lived, not close.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Life doesn’t stay the same, ever, it evolves, risk is everywhere. The comforts of normal today is no guarantee. You can simplify it to the good and bad but sometimes there are things we just do not have full control of like this virus. There is no evil society.

IMO there are enough of us that are trying to figure out the best course, treatments, cures, lifestyle, etc. Whereas no analysis or plan will be perfect and we will learn from trial and error, and Not have all the conveniences we want and are accustomed to, in time things will get better. That is how I see it even if other don’t.
My concern is not that we will not defeat this medically but the price we have to pay

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My concern is not that we will not defeat this medically but the price we have to pay
There is a price to pay. I will not argue that point but with innovation and hard work things will get better. It was a hand dealt to the planet. No easy solution to change the hard times ahead.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting article on how NYC elderly are deal with isolation

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
In a previous post I semi joked that a sneeze or sniffle causes me angst. It’s not completely a joke as funny little things make me think....is this an early symptom? Yesterday my arm ached. Then I sneezed a couple times. Body aches? Congestion? The sneezing subsided and about midday I remembered that the day before I used a couple cookbooks to do some arm exercises while in the kitchen. Lots of time in the kitchen this year. Hence, the achiness . DH and I are both 67.

My doctor back in MI began blogging about this virus early. His recommendations and videos are a source of positivity to me. We’re all taking a basic dose of A, C, D and iodine. I’ve written down the 4 day protocol to start at the early signs of the virus. Like the Girl Scout I once was I’m trying to be ready if need be. https://www.drbrownstein.com/85-chm-covid-patients:-zero-hospitalizations-and-no-deaths/

Here’s his most recent YouTube video:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The isolation dealio is really tough. The relative in the nursing home is covid 19 positive and seems to have developed a problem with swallowing and has no strength left. She can't have visitors. My siblings tried to talk to her through the closed window of the nursing home but she is too weak. My wife and I offered to watch her at her condo so she could have visitors but our kids and others objected because of our health conditions and age so that plan isn't happening. Every one is a bit frightened of getting covid 19.

Bill

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think anxiety/worry/stress will increase when the SIP/SAH orders are lifted. I hope not and I hope we can all stay calm. But I am still worried once people are exposed and must go out, there will be a lot more worry.

I am feeling a lot calmer these days. My only worry was related to my business and finances. I am not worried about getting sick and my loved ones are safe. I am hoping we will get the PPP loan and we will be okay. If that comes through, we will make it through the year, I think. Then I will semi-retire. I will still work but I will work via telehealth.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
While on vacation in February, I read two true stories about very dark times in World War II. One was The Tattooist of Auschwitz which is about love in a concentration camp. The other was The Railway Man, about a British POW forced to work on the Burma railway. Both show how important it can be to stay positive in spite of the worst of circumstances. After reading those I worry less about the current pandemic.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While on vacation in February, I read two true stories about very dark times in World War II. One was The Tattooist of Auschwitz which is about love in a concentration camp. The other was The Railway Man, about a British POW forced to work on the Burma railway. Both show how important it can be to stay positive in spite of the worst of circumstances. After reading those I worry less about the current pandemic.

A great book to read is “Man’s Search for Meaning” by Viktor Frankl. It was life changing when I read this book. If he could survive the Nazi concentration camps, then I can survive all my problems. Very inspirationa!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
7. Hubs is LE and we are hoping to keep him away from working in the jails since we have 2 who are asthmatic. Already a bad allergy season for us, having dealt w/ ear infections and strep in the last month. Plus homeschooling 3. Even though we have daycare, both responsibilities has my stress levels peaked. This Mom is exhausted.

I am concerned about my Mom and Grandma(100). Both are holed up at my Grandma’s apartment but there have been rumors of a possible positive. Both have underlying conditions that are well managed but....

Also I have 2 sisters and a nephew in NYC.

Other than the anxiety and stress, I am grateful that we are all healthy and have each other.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!

I don't have to directly teach 8th graders Algebra 1 anymore. I usually teach 10-12th grade science. I don't know how anyone can stand teaching middle schoolers year after year. If you think having 1 or 2 young teenagers is/was tough, try managing 25+ at a time.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am probably at 6 -7. I subconsciously suppress some of it by occupying my time. But it is always in the back of my mind. I try to enjoy what I can. I wish we could spend time with our son- have meals together here and there. Be close. Give him a hug. I won't be able to continue to distance forever I know that. Tomorrow we are driving to his apartment and staying in the car at a distance just to talk to him and see him.

I do not worry as much about getting the virus though I certainly do not want to get it right now. I worry a lot more for my husband getting it as he is 66 in 2 more days and he has hypertension and lung cancer runs in his family. (I am 63- will be 64 in June).

I do worry about not getting our preventative care and screening tests and blood tests at our age and how it will affect our health going forward. I worry that we have lost a year that should have been one of the best times of our newly retired lives and might not have the opportunity to experience it in the future, as we are not getting any younger and who knows how we will be in another year?

I worry about our finances and the economy.

I worry about our son and what will happen with his job now that he is laid off.

I suppose I could move up to an 8 if any more restrictions are placed on society and some restrictions are not lifted soon. Or if things with the virus get worse and not better. Also- if the supply chain starts to cave and food and other supplies becomes more scarce. Certainly if there is civil unrest.

Last edited:

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I'm stuck on the part where you say you are denied a mask that is available to others?
Well we are expected to wear a regular procedure mask which is not an N95 but wear a gown ,glove and googles while MD’s get an N95.

Almost unbelievable if I didn’t hear it with my own ears but an Anesthesiologist told us at the beginning of our shift if a nurse gets sick the hospital loses the ability to take care of 6 patients. But if a doctor gets sick they lose the ability to take care of 24 patients. As a nurse I didn’t find his words reassuring.

Our patients status is unknown as we are not testing asymptotic women. However Columbia University Hospital put out an article reporting 7 patients of unknown status exposed 20 hospital employees each. All became symptomatic post delivery.

Do I think every patient has Covid 19? No, but it’s like playing Russian roulette. If you have had a baby or seen a delivery recently you might be aware of the close contact we nurses have with our patients.

Things change every day. A week ago we weren’t even wearing masks. We have limited visitors, they aren’t even allowed to leave once they enter our department. But a week ago we were expected to leave our department and meet a grub hub driver if the visitor ordered food. I was outspoken on how ridiculous it was that a visitor could not leave to get food but the nursing staff could go have contact with them no problem. Ugh, well now they have decided no more grub hub.

Sure PPE is not optional for ER or ICU nurses . We were informed in 2 months the Hospital has used a 2.5 year supply of PPE but to be told we can’t protect ourselves when asymptotic carriers can expose others is ridiculous.

I went to the bank yesterday, the security guard was wearing an N95. I see people wear them all over the place. I even saw an elderly women in the grocery store yesterday wearing the “ duckbill” N95 my employer uses. It’s not a good feeling.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well we are expected to wear a regular procedure mask which is not an N95 but wear a gown ,glove and googles while MD’s get an N95.

Almost unbelievable if I didn’t hear it with my own ears but an Anesthesiologist told us at the beginning of our shift if a nurse gets sick the hospital loses the ability to take care of 6 patients. But if a doctor gets sick they lose the ability to take care of 24 patients. As a nurse I didn’t find his words reassuring.

Our patients status is unknown as we are not testing asymptotic women. However Columbia University Hospital put out an article reporting 7 patients of unknown status exposed 20 hospital employees each. All became symptomatic post delivery.

Do I think every patient has Covid 19? No, but it’s like playing Russian roulette. If you have had a baby or seen a delivery recently you might be aware of the close contact we nurses have with our patients.

Things change every day. A week ago we weren’t even wearing masks. We have limited visitors, they aren’t even allowed to leave once they enter our department. But a week ago we were expected to leave our department and meet a grub hub driver if the visitor ordered food. I was outspoken on how ridiculous it was that a visitor could not leave to get food but the nursing staff could go have contact with them no problem. Ugh, well now they have decided no more grub hub.

Sure PPE is not optional for ER or ICU nurses . We were informed in 2 months the Hospital has used a 2.5 year supply of PPE but to be told we can’t protect ourselves when asymptotic carriers can expose others is ridiculous.

I went to the bank yesterday, the security guard was wearing an N95. I see people wear them all over the place. I even saw an elderly women in the grocery store yesterday wearing the “ duckbill” N95 my employer uses. It’s not a good feeling.
I'm sorry to hear you have to experience this additional concern in the midst of your already stressful position. I can't even begin to imagine.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was rather surprised at how many people rated their anxiety so low, considering the comments I hear on TUG. I am wondering now that there is talk about lifting the SIP/SAH orders and people will start to go out more, does this change your anxiety/worry/stress rating? Do folks think we should stay on shut down longer and, if so, until when?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was rather surprised at how many people rated their anxiety so low, considering the comments I hear on TUG.

I do not think the timeshare owners are a good sample of the overall population. From what I remember from the Marriott public presentations, the timeshare owner is well above average in terms of income, net worth and age. How many people who paid 50-150k on timeshares and also pay 3-10k in MF really worry that their kids may not have food on the table next month?