• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the "Average" TPU

lizfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently read somewhere that the "average" RCI TPU's for a timeshare is 12TPU's. This sounds a little low to me so I'm not sure if this information is correct.

I own a timeshare with 60 TPU's, so this would get me five "average" exchanges if this is the case.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a poll would be interesting ....this is a pretty busy forum...Maybe everyone just post what you get for your weeks...without saying what is for what weeks(for privacy)

I get 53 TPU's for one of my weeks (Lockoff 27 on one side 26 on the other)
and 31 TPU's for my other one(not a lockoff)

So that average for me, if i count the lockoffs as separate deposits is..

28 TPU

Lockoffs combined for two weeks, because i only pay two MF's is 42 TPU

Last edited:

lizfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the average 12 TPU number was actually from the RCI magazine but I can't remember for sure. I believe they claimed they at the average amount of TPU's people used for an exchange is 12 TPU's.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think you will find the average for RCI and the average for TUG members is vastly different. If we exchange through RCI and have been around for a while, we've honed our portfolios to get maximum trade value. While it hasn't been true across the board, that equates into higher than average TPUs for us versus them.

If I average my two RCI exchangers, it's about 39 per unit.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might be right.

The one I consider to be an exchanger is 46 +.

I am also in a points based membership and have a dog of a week included in that but the overall MF average is still very good.

I have a hard time honing the portfolio though, getting rid of dogs is difficult and I have not accomplished it yet.

Without checking RCI it seemed that a TPU of 25 got most things, perhaps 90%
available after ongoing searches.

The average doesn't matter much to me, more so what is obtainable with what I have.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
my month in colorado ski season averaged 24....and that includes a 7 point rebook/cancel swap. otherwise my average would have been around 29.....

my average for my 4 resortsdeposited is 46.........

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Comparing "Average" TPU is not an apples to apples discussion. There are many moving parts to this. Shouldn't we be asking average MF$/TPU?

There are gorgeous resorts that have MF of $1000+ and get 40 TPUs (or ~ $25/TPU). My beachfront no frills studio gets me 24 TPUs or $15/TPU. Not bad, but I know many TUGgers are doing much better.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Comparing "Average" TPU is not an apples to apples discussion. There are many moving parts to this. Shouldn't we be asking average MF$/TPU?

There are gorgeous resorts that have MF of $1000+ and get 40 TPUs (or ~ $25/TPU). My beachfront no frills studio gets me 24 TPUs or $15/TPU. Not bad, but I know many TUGgers are doing much better.

This is how I want to ask the ops question...Im not too concerned about the number of tpu that an exchange takes, but rather the dollars

Im guessing $25/tpu is closer to average...and if Im close and if the average trade is at 12 tpu week than thats still not too bad: $300 a week plus exchange fees or $500 total

The cost per tpu however is not the only way to measure a timeshares value...I have several weeks, that at 17 tpu and a $500 mf comes to $30/tpu...but Im more than happy since I dont trade them I use them

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Resort i use for Exchanging is about $816 in MF with 53 TPU's, thats around $15.40 Per TPU, the one i'll never deposit to RCI is $1122.66 for about 31 TPUs or about $36.21 per TPU

If i average those two it comes out to about $23.08 per TPUt

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understood the OP question as asking to 'verify' this 'statement' (perhaps read in RCI's magazine):

The 'average' exchanger exchanges into resorts that cost an 'average' of about 12 TPUs. I have no idea. If that's what RCI says, then okey-dokey. But RCI would have a vested interest in putting out a rather low number so the 'average' reader can feel good about how may TPUs they get for their deposit and the probable large number of resrots they can then trade into using those TPUs.

I don't really care what the 'average' person pays in TPUs as I only care about what I want to exchange into. At a guess, I'd say my average is well above 12 TPUs as my family travel desires tend to be prime time in prime locations - and those resorts always cost way more than 12 TPUs... usually between 30-40 TPUs for a 2 bed unit.

For those times we travel off season I can get awesome resorts for as little as 5 or 10 TPUs. We travel prime more though so my average would be high.

I am however always interested in what the 'average' TUG person pays in cost per TPU :) .

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have three I can deposit into weeks (not that I do) and the average $mf per TPU is $17.

Tpu totals are 36, 33 for the two reds and my little puppy blue at 12.

If 12 is the "average" deposit - there sure are a lot of shoulder weeks being deposited!

Oh, wait RCI is all about shoulder weeks :wave:

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am however always interested in what the 'average' TUG person pays in cost per TPU :) .

The results will likely be all over the map. For me, on one I get 65 TPU for $732 or $11.26 per TPU. On another I get 101 TPU's for $660 or about $6.53 per TPU.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
But RCI would have a vested interest in putting out a rather low number so the 'average' reader can feel good about how may TPUs they get for their deposit and the probable large number of resrots they can then trade into using those TPUs.

This is what was going through my mind, too.

Off-season around the country really throws off the numbers.

The Orlando off-season weeks, which are in abundance in RCI, sure skew the numbers, though. There are over 1,000 Orange Lake weeks showing (how many weeks are really there?), and who knows how many Wyndham are still there for October, then add in the Vistanas, the VV at Parkway, and you have a huge number of cheap weeks skewing the numbers.

We paid 10 points for 2 bed October 2012 weeks at Bonnet Creek, and 16 for Vistana Fountains the following week. Cheap, cheap exchanges.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

We paid 10 points for 2 bed October 2012 weeks at Bonnet Creek, and 16 for Vistana Fountains the following week. Cheap, cheap exchanges.

Cheap but -- you had to suffer through being in Orlando in the off season -- OMG. :rolleyes:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Cheap but -- you had to suffer through being in Orlando in the off season -- OMG. :rolleyes:

I am imagining the crowds in Orlando over the next three weeks. :) Crazy busy, but the weather is probably perfect. The summer crowds and the hot weather, I will never do that again. If the kids want to go, they are going without us.

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am imagining the crowds in Orlando over the next three weeks. :) Crazy busy, but the weather is probably perfect. The summer crowds and the hot weather, I will never do that again. If the kids want to go, they are going without us.

Yes busy and yes perfect weather. It was high 70's low 80's all of last week, but.... nearly two hour wait for Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom...:mad:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had always gone late September / early October, but when we got annual passes we ended up going six different times (including some times of the year we said we would never go):
  • September / October 2010 (two weeks) - Our usual trip (that we upgraded to APs)
  • December 2010 - Halfway between Thanksgiving and Christmas, an AWESOME time to go. It was unseasonably cold, but we loved the holiday trip and the lower crowds.
  • Early February 2011 - The slowest time we've ever been, and great weather.
  • Spring Break 2011 (three weeks) - Surprisingly warm (but not like August/September), and surprisingly lower crowds than we expected. It was busier than our normal trips, but not much.
  • May 2011 - Another slow time, warmer weather, and a great trip.
  • August 2011 (four weeks) - We expected huge crowds and incredibly hot weather, but the crowds weren't that bad (comparable to Spring Break) and the weather was bearable (not that different from most Septembers).
When it's busier, how you tour the parks makes a much bigger difference. If you can get there at rope drop, collect and use FastPasses, hit the headliner ride(s) first, and then take an afternoon break, you'll have a much more pleasant experience. The masses begin to show up around 10am, and by Noon the wait times can be pretty long. By that point, we've already done all of the main attractions in the park (some several times) and we have a pocket full of FastPasses (although that's changing :().

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a New Years week one bedroom and a Presidents Week studio at the same New England ski area resort. It costs me about $37 per tpu for one bedroom so I use it in II instead, and get a bonus ac. The studio works out to about $15 per tpu so I still use it in RCI. Before the changeover I used both regularly to exchange into two bedroom holiday ski weeks out west...so I am not thrilled.

On the other hand, last year I used the 22 tpus from my studio to make four exchanges. All were booked within a month of travel for 5-8 tpus each. So I could easily see the average tpu required for an exchange as 12. On the other, other hand, my 22 tpus wouldn't have gotten any one of those exchanges six months or more in advance. Again, I am not thrilled. The only reason I could use those four weeks is that my daughter was stuck between apartments and needed a place to stay near a bunch of timeshares.

Yes, I will probably get rid of both my timeshares, or at least one, and trade more with II. If you are a trader like I am, there is no point in timeshares unless you can game the exchange system. Points are too much like money.

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes busy and yes perfect weather. It was high 70's low 80's all of last week, but.... nearly two hour wait for Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom...:mad:

Oh no.. heading out there on Friday and 2 hours wait??! :eek: That is almost as crazy as the Christmas week we were there.. never going at Christmas again.. our last couple of trips have been in the fall... been spoiled with the lower crowds..

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A RCI rep told me (in a webinar) that most of the resorts are valued at 15 or less. Since my junky, I don't want to stay in it TS is worth 22-35, I wouldn't want to know what most of their resorts look like or where they are at.

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh no.. heading out there on Friday and 2 hours wait??! :eek: That is almost as crazy as the Christmas week we were there.. never going at Christmas again.. our last couple of trips have been in the fall... been spoiled with the lower crowds..

Yeah... some more advise if you want your picture taken with that mouse... go after 6PM when all the kiddies are asleep in their parents' arms.

lizfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is, how in the world do you get 101 TPU's on one timeshare? I would assume this has to be a lockoff unit since the maximum TPU is 60 per unit. That's still a LOT of TPU's for two smaller units!