• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the "Average" TPU

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is, how in the world do you get 101 TPU's on one timeshare? I would assume this has to be a lockoff unit since the maximum TPU is 60 per unit. That's still a LOT of TPU's for two smaller units!

could be a 4br, but i doubt it, for some reason the nicest places that have lockoffs are 3br lock offs...hell i get 53 TPU's for a dump in an overbuilt area...i'm sure 101 isn't that hard

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is, how in the world do you get 101 TPU's on one timeshare? I would assume this has to be a lockoff unit since the maximum TPU is 60 per unit. That's still a LOT of TPU's for two smaller units!

Christmas Mountain is a resort thats been discussed here on tug They have intervals where you can get in excess of 10 reservations in a year for one maintenance fee ....deposit all those and you would be over 100tpu

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe CMV?

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
On another I get 101 TPU's for $660 or about $6.53 per TPU.
It would have to be a lockoff. If it's a very high demand area or time (for instance Week 52 in Orlando), it's conceivable that a 2BR could be up to 60 TPU, a 1BR could be up to about 55 TPU and a Studio could be up to about 50 TPU. Split a 2BR lockoff like that and 100-110 TPU is certainly possible.
Maybe CMV?
That wouldn't be it. The MF is quite a bit higher than $660, and you have to pay a $55 housekeeping fee on top of that for each week you deposit.

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
TPU's

I just want to know the name of the resort for 101 tpu's

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm sure that he will not give out that info. Most keep the best TPU/MF very close. Kind of like a trade secret. With that said, does anyone know the Colonel's secret KFC recipe???

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that he will not give out that info. Most keep the best TPU/MF very close. Kind of like a trade secret. With that said, does anyone know the Colonel's secret KFC recipe???

1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon powdered sage
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon majoram
1 1/2 teaspoon thyme
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons dry minced parsley
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons powdered chicken bouillon; * see note
1 package lipton tomato cup of soup mix

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon powdered sage
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon majoram
1 1/2 teaspoon thyme
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons dry minced parsley
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons powdered chicken bouillon; * see note
1 package lipton tomato cup of soup mix

Don't try to fool us, that is Coke's formula

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score

I took a lot of criticism last year for advocating what great opportunities there were in restructuring your timeshare portfolio. "The Golden Age of Timesharing" is what I called it. For tuggers who want a lot for a little, I still believe it is exactly that. There was also a lot of contentious, heated debate about timeshares in "overbuilt" places getting too many TPU's and the evils of RCI. Who cares? Go with the flow and get it while the gettin' is good was my philosophy.

So, while everyone was arguing about it, I did my homework and repositioned things. As you can see in the description of my timeshares to the left, my RCI weeks units are 2 bdrm lockoffs at two overbuilt, overhyped places.

Each lockoff was purchased for less than 1 yrs MF and included the current year's week, thus making them free. I'm no longer interested in arguing about it all. I just want to game the system as best I can without any disruption. For what it's worth, both my weeks are July 4th weeks. One is at VV@P in Orlando. The other is somewhere that the sun shines in the summer. Sorry, but you'll have to find your own gold. I don't want to ruin a good thing.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ebay say's the MF is only $645, did it go up this year?

Edit: I may have misunderstood you. The VV@P is definitely around $732 for me. I'm fairly certain that all the 2 bdrm lockoffs have the same MF. And to my knowledge, all the 2 bdrms there are all lockoffs of the same design.

Last edited:

lanemarie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had always gone late September / early October, but when we got annual passes we ended up going six different times (including some times of the year we said we would never go):
  • September / October 2010 (two weeks) - Our usual trip (that we upgraded to APs)
  • December 2010 - Halfway between Thanksgiving and Christmas, an AWESOME time to go. It was unseasonably cold, but we loved the holiday trip and the lower crowds.
  • Early February 2011 - The slowest time we've ever been, and great weather.
  • Spring Break 2011 (three weeks) - Surprisingly warm (but not like August/September), and surprisingly lower crowds than we expected. It was busier than our normal trips, but not much.
  • May 2011 - Another slow time, warmer weather, and a great trip.
  • August 2011 (four weeks) - We expected huge crowds and incredibly hot weather, but the crowds weren't that bad (comparable to Spring Break) and the weather was bearable (not that different from most Septembers).
When it's busier, how you tour the parks makes a much bigger difference. If you can get there at rope drop, collect and use FastPasses, hit the headliner ride(s) first, and then take an afternoon break, you'll have a much more pleasant experience. The masses begin to show up around 10am, and by Noon the wait times can be pretty long. By that point, we've already done all of the main attractions in the park (some several times) and we have a pocket full of FastPasses (although that's changing :().

Hello, What is a fastpass? We are going to disney over april break....you can PM if you want. Sorry to get off topic:rofl:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weeks 26 and 52 in Orlando are quite nice. Lots of folk find buying in Orlando, Branson, Vegas, yadda yadda, are foolish because of a glut of supply. However there is a lot of demand for those areas too. I am a value "investor". I let the brand snobs and those who are wealthier than I am arch their backs and puff their chests and talk out both sides of their neck that on the one hand one should only buy where they want to vacation every year, and on the other hand proudly proclaim why it makes more sense to own a shoulder week at ABC resort at inflated MFs to leverage the exchanges they can get. Me, I will accomplish 90% or more of what they can at half the cost. If you are buying to trade, buying cheaply, and depositing prime weeks, theoverbuilt areas can produce some very decent "returns". And if I were to do it over again, I would get lockoffs.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weeks 26 and 52 in Orlando are quite nice. Lots of folk find buying in Orlando, Branson, Vegas, yadda yadda, are foolish because of a glut of supply. However there is a lot of demand for those areas too. I am a value "investor". I let the brand snobs and those who are wealthier than I am arch their backs and puff their chests and talk out both sides of their neck that on the one hand one should only buy where they want to vacation every year, and on the other hand proudly proclaim why it makes more sense to own a shoulder week at ABC resort at inflated MFs to leverage the exchanges they can get. Me, I will accomplish 90% or more of what they can at half the cost. If you are buying to trade, buying cheaply, and depositing prime weeks, theoverbuilt areas can produce some very decent "returns". And if I were to do it over again, I would get lockoffs.

The first week i bought was in a midlevel TS in an 'overbuilt' area, granted my $ to TPU rate isn't great at $15 per TPU, but its alot better then the 'name brand' i own that gets $36 per TPU

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, What is a fastpass? We are going to disney over april break....you can PM if you want. Sorry to get off topic:rofl:

Edit: Scatch that. Michael is correct below. I was thinking about tolls.

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did overstate the MF. My memory failed me. It's actually even less than $645 you mentioned, so keep looking.

I found on ebay the one you have named is listed for sub-$600 and as high as $730, maybe due to different sizes or just erroneous listing. I will not betray your secret on the other one. Even if you are a TS hog

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
A FastPass is Disney's (free) front of line pass. Basically, you can get one every 40-120 minutes and use it during a specified return time. You can read more here (or a myriad of other Disney-specific places on the web). I highly suggest checking out easyWDW before any trip to Disney (just like I suggest anyone interested in timeshares check out TUG). Their (free!) "recommended park" calendars are second to none, and their community is one of the most friendly, knowledgable groups of Disney fans out there. You'll find several familiar faces there.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
One concern that I am taking from this thread is that there are resorts where RCI is giving 60 plus TPU's. If they are giving that many TPU's, that throws the premise that 60 TPU's is the top of the scale and to think that non name brand resorts in an overbuilt area are getting that many TPUs is scary. I am looking at it now, not from the depositor's point of view, but from the trader's point of view.

I honestly can't think of any resort where I'd pay 60 TPU's to stay at.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
One concern that I am taking from this thread is that there are resorts where RCI is giving 60 plus TPU's. If they are giving that many TPU's, that throws the premise that 60 TPU's is the top of the scale and to think that non name brand resorts in an overbuilt area are getting that many TPUs is scary. I am looking at it now, not from the depositor's point of view, but from the trader's point of view.

I honestly can't think of any resort where I'd pay 60 TPU's to stay at.

60 is the top. You only get more than 60 by splitting a lockoff into 2 different deposits.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
The ones that are 40-60 TPU (way less than 1% of the available exchanges) are all very high demand locations and/or weeks. For instance, NYC (almost anytime), Orlando for Christmas and New Years, prime summer beach weeks, prime Hawaii weeks, etc.

As Cullen said, the only way to get over 60 is to split and make multiple units.

lanemarie

TUG Member
Reaction score
A FastPass is Disney's (free) front of line pass. Basically, you can get one every 40-120 minutes and use it during a specified return time. You can read more here (or a myriad of other Disney-specific places on the web). I highly suggest checking out easyWDW before any trip to Disney (just like I suggest anyone interested in timeshares check out TUG). Their (free!) "recommended park" calendars are second to none, and their community is one of the most friendly, knowledgable groups of Disney fans out there. You'll find several familiar faces there.

Thanks for the information! i will use that site for sure.:eek:

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
tpu

vckempson ,thanks' for the hint I checked all this out as you said while everyone as arguing, I thought I would jump in and post something just to post ( yes sometimes I do That to ) but I have all but quit using rci , and have 8 timeshares left after giving some away so i really don't need anymore ,I;m not using the tpu's i have but thanks for the info i'm sure some people will have use for this info.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took a lot of criticism last year for advocating what great opportunities there were in restructuring your timeshare portfolio. "The Golden Age of Timesharing" is what I called it. For tuggers who want a lot for a little, I still believe it is exactly that. There was also a lot of contentious, heated debate about timeshares in "overbuilt" places getting too many TPU's and the evils of RCI. Who cares? Go with the flow and get it while the gettin' is good was my philosophy.

So, while everyone was arguing about it, I did my homework and repositioned things. As you can see in the description of my timeshares to the left, my RCI weeks units are 2 bdrm lockoffs at two overbuilt, overhyped places.

Each lockoff was purchased for less than 1 yrs MF and included the current year's week, thus making them free. I'm no longer interested in arguing about it all. I just want to game the system as best I can without any disruption. For what it's worth, both my weeks are July 4th weeks. One is at VV@P in Orlando. The other is somewhere that the sun shines in the summer. Sorry, but you'll have to find your own gold. I don't want to ruin a good thing.

I couldnt agree more... who cares why it gets so many tpu or if its fair or not....just buy it.....