• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What I Did at Home Today...

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What about Reno area????

Similar environment, but on a smaller scale. I have friends who live there, too. Summers are great there. Too much Winter for my taste - I'm not a fan of snow. Lake Tahoe is nearby. A well-loved Tug Moderator lives in that area. ;) The San Francisco Bay Area, Napa Valley, and Yosemite National Park are all just down the freeway from there. It's a great central area, if you like what it has to offer.

If Reno is appealing, I'd highly recommend a visit to check it out in person. It's a nice town.

Dave

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I now want to move to Nevada. Please ... pros, cons, anyone? I cannot stand IL much longer.
We’ve lived here since 2007 and love it. The weather is great most of the time, and there aren’t extreme storms like tornadoes, hurricanes, or ice & snow although occasionally it has snowed a little.

Dave covered the pros quite well. It does get hot in the summer but that’s what air conditioning & pools are for.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Oh @Karen G - 71 degrees makes for a right lovely swim! :cool:
Not for me!! I need it to be a bit warmer than that! I was quite happy to sit in the hot tub & watch the grandkids swim in the pool.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We’ve lived here since 2007 and love it. The weather is great most of the time, and there aren’t extreme storms like tornadoes, hurricanes, or ice & snow although occasionally it has snowed a little.

Dave covered the pros quite well. It does get hot in the summer but that’s what air conditioning & pools are for.

@Cornell - and since we are on the swimming tangent for a moment (well, at least I am!) - a great swim can be had by trucking up the hill from Reno to Truckee, CA! Donner Lake is always the right temperature! :eek: (says @Karen G - I'm sure!)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Not for me!! I need it to be a bit warmer than that! I was quite happy to sit in the hot tub & watch the grandkids swim in the pool.

Just the idea that you HAVE a swimming pool is appealing. :D

Dave

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked about Reno bc I vacationed in Truckee 2 years ago and it was possibly one of my favorite places I’ve ever been to. I just loved it! But I don’t want to live in Cali.
How bad are Reno winters?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNW Thank you! It’s fun to dream .

I understand. And the thing is, you're going to live SOMEPLACE. Why not live where you'd LIKE to be? Is there something keeping you in Illinois? Employment can happen anywhere these days, especially if telecommuting is an option. Family can come visit YOU. ;)

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I now want to move to Nevada. Please ... pros, cons, anyone? I cannot stand IL much longer.

Karen G and VacationForever can help you, as well as DaveNW. We thought about Nevada as well.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I asked about Reno bc I vacationed in Truckee 2 years ago and it was possibly one of my favorite places I’ve ever been to. I just loved it! But I don’t want to live in Cali.

As you know we decided to move to a colder climate and really it isn't so bad here. It has still snowed a bit this month and it is very windy. I actually like wind because it makes me feel alive. Now when I am 80 maybe I won't like it but I will just stay inside on bad days. (Hey- getting a lot of practice these days!). At a higher elevation, though this is by no stretch the Rockies, lol!, when the sun is out it is strong! The lakes region here is at least 10 degrees warmer then an hour north in the White Mountains. We also like the changing of the seasons, Fall being my favorite, though it is unfortunately very short.

We really don't like intense heat (and humidity either which is one of several reasons we did not go southeast) so it is just a matter of which you dislike more in the extreme seasons- intense heat or cold and snow.

Big country and a lot of choices! Nevada was on our short list and is very popular with retirees for a good reason.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Reno is higher in elevation and thus cooler than Las Vegas. We have friends that retired to Reno. Does get snow in the winter. Short drive to Lake Tahoe, Sacramento, Bay area. Also look at Boulder City. Short drive to Las Vegas but higher in elevation. We were seriously looking at Boulder City but then Son, DIL, and Grandkids move to Chicago from SLC. If Southern Nevada short drive to Zion, Grand Canyon, Arizona, New Mexico, and driveable to Southern California.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have family in Reno and their only complaints are the schools and the wind. Fwiw.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
@WinniWoman - if you change locks on a door (new hardware) the new lock can be keyed so that your existing keys work. We did this as part of our remodeling efforts here!

Keep those photos coming!
And (at least around here) the place you buy the new knob from will re-key for free!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I do believe I recall the tax situation there is favorable - but then again, any state is likely favorable when compared to Illinois!

Viva, Las Vegas! @Cornell ?
Wisconsin taxes are horrible too. But, we have some hills, so we got IL beat on that front. :ROFLMAO: Sorry @Cornell, had to get my WI dig in on IL. ;) :hug

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are a number of Tuggers who live in Nevada. Southern Nevada is at the top of my list of where I want to be. I'm not a gambler, but I do enjoy the entertainment found in cities like Las Vegas.
Yes, the entertainment is phenomenal. You might enjoy this video made by lots of the local talent.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, the entertainment is phenomenal. You might enjoy this video made by lots of the local talent.

That was nice! So much talent in Las Vegas. :)

Dave

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Yesterday and the day before I spent the day at my daughter's new home with her hanging shades and curtains, installing bathroom fixtures, clearing out all the dust and washing the floors, while Don spent the past two days watching her 2YO. Both nights I sewed a few masks/caps for my son and daughter-in-law to take with me today, where we're both sitting for our other two grandchildren. Tomorrow is MOVING DAY! when we'll be helping our daughter, her husband and 2YO move out of our lower level where they've been living since October.

I'm looking forward to next week when Don and I will be cleaning every inch of our place top-to-bottom - it's going to be so restful and calming compared to the chaos and clutter of these last few months!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm looking forward to next week when Don and I will be cleaning every inch of our place top-to-bottom - it's going to be so restful and calming compared to the chaos and clutter of these last few months!

I completely understand. My sister has been staying with us since September, while she's waiting for a senior apartment to open up around here. Absolutely no idea when that will happen... :rolleyes: Love her a bunch, but can't wait for her to move out.

Dave

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gave my husband a haircut.

DD asked what prompted that. . . . His last haircut was in February. She had no confidence. She told a story of how her husband asked her to cut his hair once (he's military) and he said if she did a good job he would only have to go for the professional cut every other time. When she was finished he said "You did that on purpose." :D

Anyway, DH's hair looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

I trimmed my bangs a week ago. Now I don't have to wait the 3 weeks for them to get into shape after the professional cut them.

Edit to say we played rummy after dinner with MarriottVacationClub playing cards. Each one is a different property.

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@DaveNW @Karen G @WinniWoman
Thank you all for your comments about my dream to move, particularly my interest in NV. I have to get my daughter finished up with HS first (one more year!). One big thing that holds me back is my mother is 85 and lives near me in Chicago. I would have a hard time leaving her while she's here on earth.

But I absolutely want to move. I am so sick of winters and want warm & sun. And more access to outdoor recreation, natural beauty than what I have now. Somewhere west it will be for me.

It's also a bit scary to think about moving to a place where I know no one.

@SandyPGravel -- I saw your Wisco vs. IL dig, which I appreciate and admire. Are you a WI native / resident? Feel free to rip on IL. I love Chicago as a city but Wisconsin has a soft spot in my heart (other than the Packers).

I took a few days off from Tug as I needed a break from all the COVID talk. I got myself all wrapped up in a book over the weekend which is what the doctor (not Fauci) ordered.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@DaveNW @Karen G @WinniWoman
Thank you all for your comments about my dream to move, particularly my interest in NV.
I hope it will work out for you to move to Nevada. There are quite a few Chicago transplants in our Sun City Anthem community and they have a very active Chicago club. You would be welcomed with open arms!