• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Do You Do When You Have TSA Precheck and Your Partner Doesn't?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
How old is your partner? I believe minor kids can go with a parent if the parent has pre-check and the child doesn't.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
First World Problem or Millennium Problem:rolleyes:

I have Global Entry and use it with no hesitation. My travel companions don’t seem to mind at all (AFIK:))

Cheers

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, DW's been in a wheelchair & I get to accompany her and the pusher. Before she used the chair, if one of us got TSA Pre, it was 'See you on the other side, Hon.'

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Have never had that happen, so far! Anytime we have had TSA PreCheck we have both had it. Will hopefully never have to cross that bridge!! :unsure:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love this post -- this issue comes up often with me as I have a KTN and often my travel companions do not.

Also , another pain point for me when traveling is that I almost always only pack with a carryon. I get super annoyed waiting @ baggage claim with whoever I've traveled with.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I have Global Entry naturally included in my NEXUS membership and often (for pleasure/not business) choose to go through the regular lines out of courtesy to whoever I’m with who doesn’t have the same privileges. With Pre TSA, I just tell them that it’s ok for me to take the regular route as I am with those not Pre TSA and they shrug their shoulders and say ok.

I know, I’m just too nice. There goes my belt and shoes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mcjohan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN/OF, WLR
I’m the only one in the family who has pre-check because I travel the most. When I book flights that include husband and/or adult kids they’ve always been included too (when it’s available). I asked once if this was standard and was told no, but it‘s happened over a dozen times now.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What if you have a higher boarding priority than your DW or companion?
For either, you're not gonn'a get to your destination faster than they.are.

IMHO, a thoughtful person waits with the person w/o Precheck or priority.
Am I the only one? <tooting my own horn>

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
For either, you're not gonn'a get to your destination faster than they.are.

IMHO, a thoughtful person waits with the person w/o Precheck or priority.
Am I the only one? <tooting my own horn>
My dh has higher priority with United than I do. The first time I got PreCheck with United he didn't. It was "So long, see you on the other side".

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Have never had that happen, so far! Anytime we have had TSA PreCheck we have both had it. Will hopefully never have to cross that bridge!! :unsure:
Dh and I both bought Global Entry when it got to the point that one of us was getting PreCheck and the other wasn't.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because of my DWs disability, she gets priority boarding and by virtue of being her assistant (bag carrier- overhead bin stuffer) They have always allowed me to board early with her- though (and we've discussed this) she would hold my seat if I was not allowed to pre-board.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
See you on the other side for me as well. I had Nexus/Global Entry due to business travel for 2 years prior to my spouse applying for hers. It wasn’t until I told her I would no longer wait in the longer lines for her, and did so at ORD that she finally completed her application. She now wouldn’t travel without it. Business travel companions don’t seem to mind and are often inspired to complete their application once they were left in the longer line and I tell them I’ll see them at the bar. Now days I don’t run into many who have not been pre cleared when traveling for business.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I get it more often than DH....I choose to go with him....I prefer his company standing in line over sitting and waiting for him alone on the other side.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We both have GE but if we didn't I think that our marriage would weather the storm. Half of the time we don't even sit next to each other on the plane. We both like aisles so we sit across from each other, but sometimes the rows are offset and then we just wave to each other. It's nice when we are on planes with two seats on the sides so that he gets an aisle and I have the window, but that's not always possible and while I love my husband, I don't love sitting in the middle seat so on a plane with three across, I try to do aisle/aisle and hope that we are actually across from each other. Unless I was traveling with a child the precheck issue would be a non-issue for me.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We both have GE but if we didn't I think that our marriage would weather the storm. Half of the time we don't even sit next to each other on the plane. We both like aisles so we sit across from each other, but sometimes the rows are offset and then we just wave to each other. It's nice when we are on planes with two seats on the sides so that he gets an aisle and I have the window, but that's not always possible and while I love my husband, I don't love sitting in the middle seat so on a plane with three across, I try to do aisle/aisle and hope that we are actually across from each other. Unless I was traveling with a child the precheck issue would be a non-issue for me.
I should try the aisle/aisle seating arrangement with dh. He gets the aisle and I'm stuck with the middle. I like sitting in the Exit row seats where there are only two. That way he can have the aisle and I get all of the leg room on the other side of my seat.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
On our last trip together, we ended up with a mix of PreCheck designations. One of us got PreCheck for the outbound whereas the other one ended up with it for the return. We did the "see you on the other side" both times and that didn't bother either one of us.
Incidentally, on that last trip, a weather delay caused us to be bumped to a different flight, and as a result we ended up sitting in different sections of the plane. She got first class and I got coach, but at least mine was an aisle seat so I was fine with it. Plus, sitting apart didn't bother us since we were getting to our destination at the same time!

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
My husband and I would usually get precheck, likely because of our age, but our young adult daughter with autism wouldn't. Because she can melt down in difficult situations, we would go with her through the regular line just in case something should go wrong. That's one of the reasons we all got global entry as soon as we could. So nice not having to remove shoes or liquids. I miss that when the precheck line is closed.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My husband and I would usually get precheck, likely because of our age, but our young adult daughter with autism wouldn't. Because she can melt down in difficult situations, we would go with her through the regular line just in case something should go wrong. That's one of the reasons we all got global entry as soon as we could. So nice not having to remove shoes or liquids. I miss that when the precheck line is closed.
I don't think age has anything to do with it. It's strictly a random thing.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
I try to do aisle/aisle and hope that we are actually across from each other.
I’ve been doing this for years with my spouse and it works great. As you said, when it is a 2 across seating style, no problem as she likes the window but when it is 3 Across it works better to do 2 isle seats.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If only one of us gets Precheck we go through the regular line together. If only one of us gets upgraded to First Class I normally let Patti have it.