• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What did you learn in the process of becoming a timeshare expert? How to maximize your investment....

What did you have to do to be happy with your timeshare purchases and usage?

• Define how much I needed / wanted and getting to that level

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Figured out how to lower my ongoing maintenance so I didn't have to worry about the ever increasing

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Buying used knowing you could sell without feeling like you lost a lot of money

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • Adding to my portfolio slowly to make sure I had the right amount

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • As long as I am happy with my trips the rest doesn't matter

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • I live for adventure and timeshares are the best way to be adventurous

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters

MrBill

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Aloha Vacation Club
Nob Hill Inn
Pine Acres Lodge
I owned14 weeks with Royal Aloha Vacation Club with recently became absorbed by Vacation International Resorts (VIR). Weeks were converted into points and the options are much better now. Also own 2 weeks at Pine Acres Lodge in Pacific Grove, one week at Nob Hill Inn in SF, one week at San Luis Bay Inn in Avila Bay, CA and one week at Carlsbad Beach Inn in CA.
Fortunately I never bought into any developers BS. All of my TS purchasers were on the resale market and with HOA owned and managed by the HOA directly or a management company hired by the HOA. No Wyndham or Marriott corps for me.
Was with RCI for first year then bailed to II. Did a few exchanges with Platinum, TPI, TPM, DAE but at least 25 with HTSE. Been doing this since 1999. As please with my timeshare experiences as a sea gull with a French fry.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned (accidentally and serendipitously) that if I want a 3 bedroom or larger during the "most in-demand" times at the most in-demand resorts in the Wyndham system requires Advance Reservation Priority at those resorts, and the "points are points" advice in TUG for Wyndham was, for me, terrible advice.

Last edited:

MrBill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nob Hill Inn
Pine Acres Lodge
I learned (accidentally and serendipitously) that if I want a 3 bedroom or larger during the "most in-demand" times at the most in-demand resorts in the Wyndham system requires Advance Reservation Priority at those resorts, and the "points are points" advice in TUG for Wyndham was, for me, terrible advice.
Points with a corporation puts you at a disadvantage since they can manipulate them anyway they want. The value of pts with VIR is controlled by the HOA board. No sneaky stuff there and no stock holders clamoring for bigger returns. MrBill

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points with a corporation puts you at a disadvantage since they can manipulate them anyway they want. The value of pts with VIR is controlled by the HOA board. No sneaky stuff there and no stock holders clamoring for bigger returns. MrBill
Sorry, you clearly have a wackadoodles perspective (about something) that has nothing to do with Wyndham timeshares, and no knowledge of the Club Wyndham timeshare system.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I've learned anything, it's that everything can change in an instant, so always keep learning and keeping up with the changes. I started out with what used to be known as a "tiger trader" back in the early 2000s. Gotta laugh even writing those words. Haven't seen "tiger trader" in a while. Sold that first timeshare about a decade later. Back then, I always wanted to spend summers with 2 or 3 families in Carlsbad or San Diego at the beach, so I purchased a timeshare within the Grand Pacific Resort group to get around the RCI 1 in 4 year rule for Grand Pacific Resorts. Stopped going to those resorts and sold my GPR timeshare, later bought a Westin from the developer on purpose. Still own it, still use it. Bought MROP to try it out. Use that for rental income to pay my maintenance fees for the timeshares I use. Bought a Sedona resort because I wanted to start going there in the summer with families. Diamond Resorts bought out the system and I upgraded my units into Diamond's "The Club" for a very low cost. When RCI switched to TPU, I bought and sold a few units. Recently bought Worldmark and a Marriott and am selling my Marriott because I don't use it. Planning to keep Worldmark for now. And finally bought a Tradewinds membership from the develope two years ago during an RCI exchange because it was so great to be on a sailboat with my husband for a week. I haven't yet regretted any purchases. Still using everything I purchased. Rent out a few of my units here and there. Enjoying RCI, II, and ThirdHome. Tried SFX, but they didn't work well for me. The weeks I use for vacations cost more per week than what I read about on TUG, but I'm happy to pay $800 maintenance fees plus an exchange fee plus yearly RCI/II fees for my vacations in 2 bedroom units in fantastic locations for Xmas, New Years, Spring Break and summer break vacations with friends and family. In the end, it's about being satisfied with your own usage. Timeshares have allowed me and my family and friends to enjoy wonderful weeks together. Wouldn't have been able to do any of that (or have thought of doing any of it) in hotels.

VanX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
I’ve learned that not all timeshares are created equally and that the common focus on USA deeded types can miss many amazing Mexican RTU ones.

I’ve learned buying resale 25 year RTU non-deeded Timeshares in Mexico with annual $521USD maintenance fees in some cases are a great thing (which are actually annual member credits of $521) for use in travel at the home resort and are not actually a list cost (that also if unused each year they stay available and carryover and can be used as an amalgamated amount $5k credits in a 10 yer membership is common).

The RTU timeshares we have all expire at 25 Years, mostly when I’m around 68. So no annual maintenance fees occur later and there’s no need to sell to escape the annual fees/credits.

Often these RTU timeshare memberships originally purchased at $50k each will resale for less than $10k and come with maintenance fee credits, 3-6 free use weeks (we sell each for $2k+USD) & we also have some bonus weeks assigned in each year that can be sold for $250 per week. Bonus weeks provide 25% discounts to our guests in room rates.

I’ve learned that RTU Mexican timeshares are also a great way to secure 200k -240k RCI points a year per account which are deposited for free into RCI from our home resort for use in our other trips.

RCI Points come from these multi-million point RTU Mexican memberships (2832 points per night x 1500-2000 nights per membership).

Opportunity
Group anger of original owners from changing benefits bid RCI or resort can result in frustrated people selling for very little, rather than finding ways to make the membership work for them. One RTU we bought has 2066 nights / 295 weeks in it and we bought it resale for only $2kUSD and it has 23 years remaining, including RCI and no maintenance fees.

We also earn some free use nights at our home resort when our guests decide to become members while staying as our bonus week guest. Happens a couple times a year

Recommend that folks investigate the cases where owners are highly frustrated with Mexican RTU timeshares with RCI and multi-million points where RCI reduced options with their points partners originally purchased from between year 2000 and 2015 and where owners are selling for very little. Try to learn if there is potential opportunity for a deal for them within that group ownership frustration. There may not be but we got lucky & found a niche.

FYI - We have 10 RTU memberships at the same resort (costing us less than $40k total and we broke even on each in the same year of purchase) mostly of the same generation and now earn over 25kUSD a year through them, travel to the home resort mostly for free and use our RCI weeks and points accounts for 10-20 extra resort trips a year around the world.

Our goal was to find a way to earn some free travel annually which we’ve exceeded and ended up developing a good revenue stream.

Nothing I’ve shared makes me an expert but I’ve been happy to discover how to make the best of a perceived negative situation when buying resale.

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
If I've learned anything, it's that everything can change in an instant, so always keep learning and keeping up with the changes. I started out with what used to be known as a "tiger trader" back in the early 2000s. Gotta laugh even writing those words. Haven't seen "tiger trader" in a while. Sold that first timeshare about a decade later. Back then, I always wanted to spend summers with 2 or 3 families in Carlsbad or San Diego at the beach, so I purchased a timeshare within the Grand Pacific Resort group to get around the RCI 1 in 4 year rule for Grand Pacific Resorts. Stopped going to those resorts and sold my GPR timeshare, later bought a Westin from the developer on purpose. Still own it, still use it. Bought MROP to try it out. Use that for rental income to pay my maintenance fees for the timeshares I use. Bought a Sedona resort because I wanted to start going there in the summer with families. Diamond Resorts bought out the system and I upgraded my units into Diamond's "The Club" for a very low cost. When RCI switched to TPU, I bought and sold a few units. Recently bought Worldmark and a Marriott and am selling my Marriott because I don't use it. Planning to keep Worldmark for now. And finally bought a Tradewinds membership from the develope two years ago during an RCI exchange because it was so great to be on a sailboat with my husband for a week. I haven't yet regretted any purchases. Still using everything I purchased. Rent out a few of my units here and there. Enjoying RCI, II, and ThirdHome. Tried SFX, but they didn't work well for me. The weeks I use for vacations cost more per week than what I read about on TUG, but I'm happy to pay $800 maintenance fees plus an exchange fee plus yearly RCI/II fees for my vacations in 2 bedroom units in fantastic locations for Xmas, New Years, Spring Break and summer break vacations with friends and family. In the end, it's about being satisfied with your own usage. Timeshares have allowed me and my family and friends to enjoy wonderful weeks together. Wouldn't have been able to do any of that (or have thought of doing any of it) in hotels.
This whole thread is full of good ideas... This note captures what a lot of have said... Just keep learning.... Things change... Life changes... Keep learning and you will keep enjoying... A common theme from everyone here that is enjoying their timeshares... Great to have that message from so many people!!!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of my TS purchasers were on the resale market and with HOA owned and managed by the HOA directly or a management company hired by the HOA. No Wyndham or Marriott corps for me.

This is the way I went after selling my 4 Marriott Weeks before they crashed in value. Surprisingly I found a lot of flexibility getting my HOAs to move Weeks around for me...

George

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
@Clifbell - Great topic and congrats on making it into the TUG Newsletter!

MrBill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nob Hill Inn
Pine Acres Lodge
Sorry, you clearly have a wackadoodles perspective (about something) that has nothing to do with Wyndham timeshares, and no knowledge of the Club Wyndham timeshare system.
Not sure exactly what you are implying about my knowledge of Wyndham but here is what I do know. 1) I've attended at least 2 of their snow jobs (among others), the last of which was in Kona at the urging of one of our RAVC friends. They had just traded 2 of their RAVC weeks and a chunk of cash into Wyndham points that would enable them to spend 2 weeks in Wyndham resorts back in Hawaii. Of course there were the other options in using the package. When we saw them the following year they expressed remorse for their purchase. 2) The price Wyndham wanted from me to purchase one week was approximately equal to the total what I had spent acquiring 14 2 bdrm weeks with RAVC, (which has enabled me to winter in HI at an average over time for less than $900 per week. 3) I've had many hot tub conversations with TS folks on how their memberships worked and what it costs them. 4) When I said TS corporations are in control google what Diamond did to the owners at Point Of Poipu.

robleland

TUG Member
Reaction score
As the question asks, it does take a long time to get the timeshare market. I did a fair amount of reading on Tug before I went off with my mom, who needed a 1031 exchange for property. That was, unfortunately, 2007. We toured a number of places and stayed at, I think, Napili, in Maui. I was not impressed by the property. We (or she) settled for the Lahaina Villas, Marriott Maui at full freight, maybe $70k per week, and bought 4 weeks. Then the market tanked. Oh well But i did keep reading and learning and ended up opportunistically buying a few of the same units at half price on the resale market. I'm lucky to be there today and it is still a fantastic property. Most important learnings: Never buy retail. Secondly, carefully review rental prices vs. maintenance fees. Easy enough to do on Tug and Redweek. I've seen most timeshares rental values slip below maintenance fees, which is a major red flag. In that respect we got lucky with the Lahaina Villas, still rents for well over maintenance fees. My biggest fail was never figuring out how to exchange properly at a fair value, so i stopped that. And Marriott keeps altering their points systems. I'd still say that even my reduced ownership cost is not financially a good decision. But intangibly, I provide my family and friends with a great experience that they would unlikely pay for themselves. One last point, if you are looking at buying resell, low-ball the offer and keep waiting for a desperate seller! Worked most of the time. Good luck!

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned that it's easier to get out than the popular "wisdom" suggests.

I inherited a Fairfield timeshare in Arkansas (their first property?) that wasn't used because it was too remote and exchanged it through their internal "FAX" exchange program for a while. After Wyndham acquired the property, it became harder and harder to exchange each year; fewer properties were on the list, and they stopped disclosing the list--telephone negotiation required. I called them and complained that it was a breach of the original agreement. They asked if I wanted out, and I agreed that exit would be an acceptable resolution. They silently transferred me to the HOA who told me I could be out for$150 in legal fees. On the advice of several TUGgers, I went for this.

I bought an independent timeshare (not part of any chain, board staffed entirely by owners) in a more desirable location for $1500 and used it for several years. When it lost its utility for me, I let my son and his family use it each year. I was quite content to continue this practice until the sunset date, January 2026, but the board sent out a ballot last year and one of the options was to terminate early. The owners passed the resolution and the board is refurbishing the units and selling them one at a time. Once mine sells, I figure on getting at least $7500. (That's the result of dividing the price others have sold for by 52. If there were a lot of unowned weeks or weeks in default, it could be much more.)

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As the question asks, it does take a long time to get the timeshare market. I did a fair amount of reading on Tug before I went off with my mom, who needed a 1031 exchange for property. That was, unfortunately, 2007. We toured a number of places and stayed at, I think, Napili, in Maui. I was not impressed by the property. We (or she) settled for the Lahaina Villas, Marriott Maui at full freight, maybe $70k per week, and bought 4 weeks. Then the market tanked. Oh well But i did keep reading and learning and ended up opportunistically buying a few of the same units at half price on the resale market. I'm lucky to be there today and it is still a fantastic property. Most important learnings: Never buy retail. Secondly, carefully review rental prices vs. maintenance fees. Easy enough to do on Tug and Redweek. I've seen most timeshares rental values slip below maintenance fees, which is a major red flag. In that respect we got lucky with the Lahaina Villas, still rents for well over maintenance fees. My biggest fail was never figuring out how to exchange properly at a fair value, so i stopped that. And Marriott keeps altering their points systems. I'd still say that even my reduced ownership cost is not financially a good decision. But intangibly, I provide my family and friends with a great experience that they would unlikely pay for themselves. One last point, if you are looking at buying resell, low-ball the offer and keep waiting for a desperate seller! Worked most of the time. Good luck!
I've bought a lot of retail myself. Bought used recently and just getting into rental to see how it goes... Mostly on Redweek, but I am going to look at Koala also. I've enjoyed all of my timeshares

bradj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
Having purchased retail in 2000 (Hyatt), I learned never to do that again. Subsequent purchases, believe it or not, were on e-bay. Way Way cheaper! I've also learned more about how to maximize the use of my TS from veteran TS owners around the pool at Sunset Harbor than from any "professional" presentation (AKA "Owners Update). Way more facts from my friends.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Having purchased retail in 2000 (Hyatt), I learned never to do that again. Subsequent purchases, believe it or not, were on e-bay. Way Way cheaper! I've also learned more about how to maximize the use of my TS from veteran TS owners around the pool at Sunset Harbor than from any "professional" presentation (AKA "Owners Update). Way more facts from my friends.
@bradj So funny you mentioned the "around the pool school"! Our initial purchase was from the developer and our salesman made a point of mentioning several times that in the hot tub was where nuggets of timeshare knowledge would be shared....we have found that to be true. Also not surprisingly the BBQ grills.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought many, both retail and resale, over the years, with the first one in 1996. Currently we have divested all resale ownership and kept the ones that we bought from the developers mainly because of the internal trading features associated with these. Our Marriott ownership were all bought post-2010 directly from MVC. Our favorite resale which we no longer own is Worldmark. Low maintenance fees, use of internal booking system and there are around 90 resorts along the west coast. We sold for about what we paid when we realized that we owned too much.

I bought the first timeshare in 1996 without knowing anything about timeshare, let alone the resale market. It turns out to be our favorite out of all of our ownership - low mf/staroption (Vistana system).

What we have learned is that for newbies, the answer is almost always to buy resale. However, there are situations where buying from the developer makes sense, but you need to first understand the whole system and what it means to buy resale vs. retail or a mix of that. There is also a convenience factor and it is certainly worth something to some of us.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I've bought a lot of retail myself. Bought used recently and just getting into rental to see how it goes.
I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to stifle my persistent urge to chime in once again with my boringly frequent observation that There Is No Such Thing As A New Timeshare.

So here goes.

No matter the price -- low or high or in between -- by the time any new timeshare owner shows up to check in, other people will already have been staying previously right there in the new owner's unit.

That's used-used-used any way you shake it.

By me, it makes no sense to pay new prices for an item that is anything but new. That's just 1 more reason (as if any more were needed) to buy timeshares resale.

Full Disclosure: I know somebody who actually did stay in a brand-new timeshare unit that was never previously occupied. He & his family checked in as the very 1st people who ever stayed in that particular timeshare unit. As it happened, they were there on RCI exchange, staying in somebody else's brand-new timeshare unit, not their own. (Far as I know, the timeshare units they owned themselves were all used-used-used by the time they got there & checked in.)

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@bradj So funny you mentioned the "around the pool school"! Our initial purchase was from the developer and our salesman made a point of mentioning several times that in the hot tub was where nuggets of timeshare knowledge would be shared....we have found that to be true. Also not surprisingly the BBQ grills.
I am also a big fan of the hot tub timeshare education seminars that are found at most timeshares... A lot of knowledge to be gained... That is where the real owner update occurs. :cool:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
My story is too long. But in a nutshell, we bought a resort in Colorado in the early 1980's (only 24 years old), tried to rescind it, but they wouldn't let us. Still enjoyed it but it was where we were stuck on vacation for a long time. Then we bought another in Frisco. Still own at both places but own much better weeks. I think we mostly fell in love with the size of the unit and the fact that we had land we always wanted to build a cabin on, but this made more sense. We still own the land and it still sits vacant.

Then in 1987 we tried exchanging the first time and went berzerk over exchanging. First stays were so incredibly perfect (Lawrence Welk 2 bed in Escondido and a week on the ocean at Point Brown, Washington state). We decided exchanging was the way to go. We haven't stayed a full week in our timeshare in Colorado since the last time in 1986.

We traded into a few Hawaii resorts in 2000. Wow! We loved Hawaii and thought we would only go one time in our lives, so we did it big and had our kids and their significant others with us. We stayed at Point at Poipu on Kauai and Paniolo Greens on the Big Island. Big units, 2 bedrooms. Still just used our Colorado owned weeks to exchange into these gorgeous properties. Further reason for us to buy some more weeks at our home resort. Now we own 7 weeks in Frisco, two weeks at Fraser/ Winter park, 3 bedroom units all. Fees are still reasonable on those.

Once again, we traded into Kauai in 2004, Pahio Bali Hai Villas, just the two of us, and I decided we had to own Bali Hai. We bought some resale, and not cheap, either. We bought quite a few, actually, over about 3 years, including a 3 bedroom, a couple of 2 bedrooms and a one bedroom. I wanted enough for our family to stay with us for a big family trip.

We traded into Maui in 2005, a cute little place called Gardens at West Maui. Also bought a week there via resale for $6,000 with closing costs included. It was easy to purchase a week on Maui and we kept it for quite a while. We stayed in our owned week in May of 2005, our daughter and her husband stayed in the exchange (and had roosters crowing all night behind their unit). While on Maui, we attended a timeshare presentation for Fairfield/ Wyndham. I was intrigued. I was also surprised that Wyndham would have a presentation on Maui, when they own nothing on Maui (and still don't own anything on Maui). Our daughter was not intrigued at all and cut the meeting short.

The salesperson did tell me about TUG, so I found out about TUG on a timeshare presentation.

In 2007 we stayed in our owned week at Bali Hai and attended a timeshare presentation. PAHIO sold out to Wyndham, so once again Wyndham enticed me into converting our weeks at Bali Hai to Wyndham. It was cheap to do it, and I was encouraged on TUG by Jya-Ning and BocaBum99 to go ahead and convert. We did it a second time about a year later after accumulating a few Shearwater and some more Bali Hai weeks. Now we have two platinum Founders' accounts.

Some timeshare choices have come about as a result of recommendations from friends. The only timeshares we stay in every year that we own are our Hono Koa oceanfront units. There are only 4 of 27 units that are oceanfront. We own three weeks. Our friends bought one week, and we saw their view and had to own that view. We love our Hono Koa weeks. Those will never be deposited into any exchange company.

I love Florida, but we don't own anything but some Wyndham points in Florida. We trade into Disney and beach locations. It's worked okay so far, but I am considering beachfront Florida.

We are Wyndham mega-renters. I don't feel at all guilty, and no one can make me feel badly about it. I followed advice on TUG and our daughter made a living renting what we own.

Now we own a lot of weeks at Sheraton Broadway Plantation near Myrtle Beach. We rent those, too. I pay the fees way ahead and reserve a full year out. I use mostly Sheraton to book exchanges to various resorts we love to stay.

I have no regrets at all. I advise anyone who asks for my advice. I advise sticking with II and buying Sheraton Desert Oasis or Sheraton Broadway Plantation. Not that those are the only weeks that work great, but those are the ones that I know work great for exchanges. I think there are other great traders out there.

I made some mistakes along the way. I got out of those easily enough. I bought Foxrun weeks to trade into Disney. I would not advise buying a generic resort for trading. It's an unknown what you can get with it. I know this because I still have Blue Ridge Village in my II account, which is supposedly a better trader than Foxrun, and I have had zero luck in getting any exchanges with that week. I can always take a week at a Marriott in Orlando with it, rather than to let the week expire. It's not terrible, but it's nothing like my Sheratons.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My story is too long. But in a nutshell, we bought a resort in Colorado in the early 1980's (only 24 years old), tried to rescind it, but they wouldn't let us. Still enjoyed it but it was where we were stuck on vacation for a long time. Then we bought another in Frisco. Still own at both places but own much better weeks. I think we mostly fell in love with the size of the unit and the fact that we had land we always wanted to build a cabin on, but this made more sense. We still own the land and it still sits vacant.

Then in 1987 we tried exchanging the first time and went berzerk over exchanging. First stays were so incredibly perfect (Lawrence Welk 2 bed in Escondido and a week on the ocean at Point Brown, Washington state). We decided exchanging was the way to go. We haven't stayed a full week in our timeshare in Colorado since the last time in 1986.

We traded into a few Hawaii resorts in 2000. Wow! We loved Hawaii and thought we would only go one time in our lives, so we did it big and had our kids and their significant others with us. We stayed at Point at Poipu on Kauai and Paniolo Greens on the Big Island. Big units, 2 bedrooms. Still just used our Colorado owned weeks to exchange into these gorgeous properties. Further reason for us to buy some more weeks at our home resort. Now we own 7 weeks in Frisco, two weeks at Fraser/ Winter park, 3 bedroom units all. Fees are still reasonable on those.

Once again, we traded into Kauai in 2004, Pahio Bali Hai Villas, just the two of us, and I decided we had to own Bali Hai. We bought some resale, and not cheap, either. We bought quite a few, actually, over about 3 years, including a 3 bedroom, a couple of 2 bedrooms and a one bedroom. I wanted enough for our family to stay with us for a big family trip.

We traded into Maui in 2005, a cute little place called Gardens at West Maui. Also bought a week there via resale for $6,000 with closing costs included. It was easy to purchase a week on Maui and we kept it for quite a while. We stayed in our owned week in May of 2005, our daughter and her husband stayed in the exchange (and had roosters crowing all night behind their unit). While on Maui, we attended a timeshare presentation for Fairfield/ Wyndham. I was intrigued. I was also surprised that Wyndham would have a presentation on Maui, when they own nothing on Maui (and still don't own anything on Maui). Our daughter was not intrigued at all and cut the meeting short.

The salesperson did tell me about TUG, so I found out about TUG on a timeshare presentation.

In 2007 we stayed in our owned week at Bali Hai and attended a timeshare presentation. PAHIO sold out to Wyndham, so once again Wyndham enticed me into converting our weeks at Bali Hai to Wyndham. It was cheap to do it, and I was encouraged on TUG by Jya-Ning and BocaBum99 to go ahead and convert. We did it a second time about a year later after accumulating a few Shearwater and some more Bali Hai weeks. Now we have two platinum Founders' accounts.

Some timeshare choices have come about as a result of recommendations from friends. The only timeshares we stay in every year that we own are our Hono Koa oceanfront units. There are only 4 of 27 units that are oceanfront. We own three weeks. Our friends bought one week, and we saw their view and had to own that view. We love our Hono Koa weeks. Those will never be deposited into any exchange company.

I love Florida, but we don't own anything but some Wyndham points in Florida. We trade into Disney and beach locations. It's worked okay so far, but I am considering beachfront Florida.

We are Wyndham mega-renters. I don't feel at all guilty, and no one can make me feel badly about it. I followed advice on TUG and our daughter made a living renting what we own.

Now we own a lot of weeks at Sheraton Broadway Plantation near Myrtle Beach. We rent those, too. I pay the fees way ahead and reserve a full year out. I use mostly Sheraton to book exchanges to various resorts we love to stay.

I have no regrets at all. I advise anyone who asks for my advice. I advise sticking with II and buying Sheraton Desert Oasis or Sheraton Broadway Plantation. Not that those are the only weeks that work great, but those are the ones that I know work great for exchanges. I think there are other great traders out there.

I made some mistakes along the way. I got out of those easily enough. I bought Foxrun weeks to trade into Disney. I would not advise buying a generic resort for trading. It's an unknown what you can get with it. I know this because I still have Blue Ridge Village in my II account, which is supposedly a better trader than Foxrun, and I have had zero luck in getting any exchanges with that week. I can always take a week at a Marriott in Orlando with it, rather than to let the week expire. It's not terrible, but it's nothing like my Sheratons.
Incredible story.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to stifle my persistent urge to chime in once again with my boringly frequent observation that There Is No Such Thing As A New Timeshare.

So here goes.

No matter the price -- low or high or in between -- by the time any new timeshare owner shows up to check in, other people will already have been staying previously right there in the new owner's unit.

That's used-used-used any way you shake it.

By me, it makes no sense to pay new prices for an item that is anything but new. That's just 1 more reason (as if any more were needed) to buy timeshares resale.

Full Disclosure: I know somebody who actually did stay in a brand-new timeshare unit that was never previously occupied. He & his family checked in as the very 1st people who ever stayed in that particular timeshare unit. As it happened, they were there on RCI exchange, staying in somebody else's brand-new timeshare unit, not their own. (Far as I know, the timeshare units they owned themselves were all used-used-used by the time they got there & checked in.)

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​
My first stay at Aulani on grand opening day and got to stay in brand new timeshare villa using my brand new Aulani points. It can happen. Also booked stay for friend at Aulani same opening day and they got to stay in brand new timeshare villa using my old used Saratoga Springs points :cheer:.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We signed up for WorldMark presentation tomorrow. The Chief Of Staff was suffuciently attracted by the freebies to accept the invitation. No one was more surprised than I was.

— Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We signed up for WorldMark presentation tomorrow. The Chief Of Staff was suffuciently attracted by the freebies to accept the invitation. No one was more surprised than I was.

— Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​
@AwayWeGo can you share said attractive freebies?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Chief Of Staff is generous to a fault.

— Alan Cole, McLean ( Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​