• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What age group are you? what age group are average TUGGERS?

If you own timeshare(s), what age group are you in?

• 18-29

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30-39

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • 40-49

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 50-59

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • 60-69

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • 70-79

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 80+

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I've been on this site a couple years and I'm just curious what age is the average savvy timeshare owner, which all we TUG members are.
I bought my first at age 33 which seems young now, but I didn't discover TUG until a decade later.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are in our 60s and bought our main timeshare over 20 years ago. If our 32 year old son could have afforded it (and if he was married with a family) he might have taken it on but he can’t.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We bought our first week when our oldest son was 4...19 years ago this month. We've since added 3 weeks at the same resort. No regrets whatsoever!

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Old boomers. Most whine when anything changes from 20 or 30 years ago.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I wish we would have bought ours earlier but we have enjoyed ours over the last nine years.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We bought our first timeshare when we were in our mid-20's before the thought of starting a family. Kicked ourselves for many years afterwards for not buying a 2 bedroom but it was about $1000. more expensive as well as having higher maintenance fees. We purchased from the developer and pre-construction in an area of FL that we had been vacationing in for a few years and knew we wanted to return to year after year. We ended up having 3 children and our home resort, even though it has a max occupancy of 4 for a 1 bedroom, always accommodated the 5 of us and even supplied a roll-away bed so our daughter didn't have to sleep on the floor when she out grew the pack n'play. After our kids were grown and living on their own, we bought a 2 bedroom (points pkg). :doh:

~Diane

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was first exposed to timesharing in my 20s, by attending presentations to get the freebie gifts. Couldn't ever see my way into spending the kind of money they wanted, because I never was settled enough to go on regular vacations. The military kept me hopping around. After I retired from Active Duty in the early 90s, I was less mobile, and more open to the idea of owning a timeshare. But it wasn't till fifteen years ago when we joined my brother on his first stay at a Cabo San Lucas timeshare he and his (then) wife had purchased, full-freight, from the Developer. I liked the resort, liked the idea of timesharing, but wasn't ready to pull the big-bucks trigger. After we got home, I started researching with a "There has to be a better (cheaper) way" mentality. I found Tug, found eBay, found out about resales, and the rest is history. I'm 66 now, and on the verge of really retiring, so I expect my timesharing will increase. We'll see!

Dave

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I got my first timeshare in Atlantic City, on our first anniversary with my husband whom since passed. I was 25 and he was 33. We both loved timesharing.

Today I lighted a candle for him. It has been 11 years since the Lord took him. Timesharing was an important part of our lives. The memories I have of us timesharing are priceless now. I will always treasure them.

So now I am 59 and have 34 years of timesharing experience.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I grew up with my parents owning a lot of timeshare as well as vacationing several weeks a year so for me is was a pretty easy decision
Started Using in my 20’s and owning in my 30’s
We have a 16 YO who started college FT when he was 14 and is 16+ now
He loves it and wants to take over everything we have when we are done ( not sure about the other siblings )
We are only in our early 50’s ( 52/54 ) so that may be awhile??

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I began timesharing at 15 when my parents purchased from the developer.

We were on a family vacation with my family of 5 staying in a hotel room “suite” that became a fire hazard when you used the sofa bed for the 5th person because it blocked the bed. As part of the purchase, resort found us a unit for the rest of our vacation and put the rental cost toward the purchase.

We purchased our own timeshare via ebay 10 years ago (I was 35) when we realized how much we value school break trips with our kids.

Interesting story: we had been so lucky to use our parents or our own timeshares that the first time we stayed in a hotel room, our son went in, looked around, opened up the closet and incredulously declared “this is it!?!”

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought our first timeshare when I was 42 and DH was 46. One of the best decisions we ever made. Before our resort was sold, by owner vote, in 2012, we made over 100 exchanges over the years.

Dori

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Interesting story: we had been so lucky to use our parents or our own timeshares that the first time we stayed in a hotel room, our son went in, looked around, opened up the closet and incredulously declared “this is it!?!”

*I* do that now! :)

Dave

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny -- I was actually thinking of creating a poll about this the other day. I guess this confirms what I thought -- I am definitely on the young side.

We are in our mid thirties and have 3 young kids. Timeshares work out great for us.

Funny Story:
Sometimes we'll use hotel points to fill in gaps from stays in timeshares when travelling. One time when we got to our room our six year old said "Uhhh....dad where is my bedroom?"....sounds like she's a fan.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We were in our very early 50's when we first bought 18 years ago. Our son was 15 at the time and we added him as an owner as soon as he turned 21. Travelhacker saying he is on the young side made me think of the categories he, our son and other people like them will check on surveys now and in the years to come.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I got my first timeshare in Atlantic City, on our first anniversary with my husband whom since passed. I was 25 and he was 33. We both loved timesharing.

Today I lighted a candle for him. It has been 11 years since the Lord took him. Timesharing was an important part of our lives. The memories I have of us timesharing are priceless now. I will always treasure them.

So now I am 59 and have 34 years of timesharing experience.

Panina:

What wonderful memories you have of your first husband and I'm so sorry you lost him...I truly believe the memories that we shared with our loved ones that have now passed are what keep us going...much love to you...

We purchased our first timeshare in our early 50's and I'm now 58... I'm so happy that I have the opportunity to make memories with my family and friends at our TS's...

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Bought our first TS in our late 20’s (some 30 years ago) from a developer and were lucky enough to get out of the contract the next day, after many hours of “debate” with them. Since then we purchased some vacation clubs (points) until we found HGVC and this forum. The combination of vacation clubs and HomeAway convinced us that we cannot vacation for multiple days/weeks in a hotel room, especially as our kids grew. We have had such wonderful vacations as a result of TS and yet we know so many people who have not figured it out yet, and probably never will. They have heard, or experienced, such deceitful behaviour by TS sales people that they have shut it out completely as an option and wonder how we can enjoy using ours so much.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny Story:
Sometimes we'll use hotel points to fill in gaps from stays in timeshares when travelling. One time when we got to our room our six year old said "Uhhh....dad where is my bedroom?"....sounds like she's a fan.

My kids totally relate.

It’s a rough life (sarcasm) when you have to slum it in a 4-star hotel room...

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently (barely) in the 50-59 group. Bought my first in the 30-39 group. Even before we become owners, we would either rent houses/condos via VRBO etc. or stay in Residence Inn-equivalents. I understand that some people vacation in hotel rooms, but I can't imagine how.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brought our first timeshare in the late 1970’s We were in our 30’s; now we are in that 70’s age group. Wonderful Memories and Awesome Vacations.

Last edited:

Travel1

Reaction score
Bought our first timeshare in my early 50s ( about 8 years ago).

I used to rent timeshares occasionally before that, but on one trip I wanted to extend our vacation by one day and couldn't find anything available except a Motel 6 by the beach. I paid more for that room a few miles from the beach then the two bedroom timeshare I was renting on the beach. I pulled the trigger after that experience to have more control over my booking options to book timeshare rooms for myself. Bought resell and love my timeshare! (except for the yearly maintenance fee and bonus time increases, booking rule changes/restrictions etc....I suppose still cheaper than a hotel room, but over the years the increases do add up).

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Although I rent now, I did have 9 timeshares at 9 different resorts in my early 40s. I bought them mainly for my parents so I could get them off on regular Vacation. As they were very poor, I used to give them flights, spending money, book activities and a week whenever they had a birthday or Christmas. As they got older, they found travelling too cumbersome so I gave them other things. I did use them here and there too and did enjoy them.

As I was spending between 10500 and 11 k a year in MF, exchange fees, RCI fees, etc., I decided to dump them all and just rent. I do try to rent a timeshare first because they are nice places overall and are spacious. If not, I just rent whatever.

As of a couple of years back, I invest the money I used to pay MF and other fees and now use the dividends to travel when I can. Up to about a year ago, I travelled a lot until my dad got sick with Cancer. He has recently passed and now I am holding off a bit to make sure my Mom is fine. Being an only child means it’s really up to me.

I must say the memories I had owning timeshares were wonderful. I especially enjoyed sharing with my parents and I know they built great memories.

Who knows? I may buy again if the situation and terms look right. Of course, it would be resale all the way.

@Panina, I am sorry to hear the loss of your husband. It sounds like he was quite young. I am glad to hear you and him had wonderful vacationing memories. Its those memories that becomes so priceless especially when they pass on. From reading many of your posts, I can tell that you are a wonderful person. He was a very lucky man to have someone like you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk