• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin timeshare

CarpeDiem65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WDW, Westin Flex
I love the status of Marriott Bonvoy too. I've been platinum elite for 5 years. But from what I've been reading, Staroptions might be cheaper/ smarter than abound point. I'm in conversation to get a mandatory optionsfrom Sheraton Vistana with 95,000 Staroptions. Do you think I can exchange for Marriott/ westin properties in Hawaii for 2 bedroom for 7 days? Is that enough point?
Westin Kierland looks good too but I doubt I'll ever use it there. I'm a beach girl and themeparks girl for the sake of my kids. So Orlando, Mexico and Hawaii exchange seem like where I'll be using it mostly. Or any of the Caribbean resorts
I purchased a WKV 1 bed premium (81,000 StarOptions) on the resale market in June. $8,900 plus closing costs. It had 2023 usage which I didn’t need. I immediately banked the StarOptions and booked 1 week at Westin Lagunamar in Cancun for Feb 2024. So the StarOptions are easily usable within the Vistana network. We own WDW and booked a couple weeks in Kauai in Apr 2024. I like the fexibility of the Vistana network and have not had issues booking at 8 months out.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the status of Marriott Bonvoy too. I've been platinum elite for 5 years. But from what I've been reading, Staroptions might be cheaper/ smarter than abound point. I'm in conversation to get a mandatory optionsfrom Sheraton Vistana with 95,000 Staroptions. Do you think I can exchange for Marriott/ westin properties in Hawaii for 2 bedroom for 7 days? Is that enough point?
Westin Kierland looks good too but I doubt I'll ever use it there. I'm a beach girl and themeparks girl for the sake of my kids. So Orlando, Mexico and Hawaii exchange seem like where I'll be using it mostly. Or any of the Caribbean resorts
Just keep in mind that even with mandatory VOIs, if you are acquiring them resale after the announcement date last year, they are no longer able to elect for Abound points to book Marriott properties in that system. You will still be able to use StarOptions from Sheraton to book Westin or any other VSN resort, and vice versa. But whether voluntary or mandatory, resale acquisitions going forward would either have to book Marriott properties via II or make an additional retail purchase to qualify them for Abound.

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas
Just keep in mind that even with mandatory VOIs, if you are acquiring them resale after the announcement date last year, they are no longer able to elect for Abound points to book Marriott properties in that system. You will still be able to use StarOptions from Sheraton to book Westin or any other VSN resort, and vice versa. But whether voluntary or mandatory, resale acquisitions going forward would either have to book Marriott properties via II or make an additional retail purchase to qualify them for Abound.
Good to know. Westin properties are very good as well. As long as I can exchange into westin cancun or Hawaii, I should be good.
I can get into Orlando through RCI Points.
Thanks for the insight.

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas
I purchased a WKV 1 bed premium (81,000 StarOptions) on the resale market in June. $8,900 plus closing costs. It had 2023 usage which I didn’t need. I immediately banked the StarOptions and booked 1 week at Westin Lagunamar in Cancun for Feb 2024. So the StarOptions are easily usable within the Vistana network. We own WDW and booked a couple weeks in Kauai in Apr 2024. I like the fexibility of the Vistana network and have not had issues booking at 8 months out.
Awesome. Thanks for the insight. Surprised you could use WDW to book Hawaii. I thought that was not a mandatory resort. Did you exchange with II or through the Staroptions? Just curious and still learning .

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas
Take your time. It’s extremely easy to buy and difficult to sell. There will always, always, always be a good deal available and once you know exactly what you want you will find it, even if it takes a little time.

You want 148k SOs. Every 2-bed Westin week in Hawaii costs 148k or more, unless you trade with Interval and that’s risky from a planning/purchasing perspective. This is why WKV is popular with those of us who are able to reserve at eight months.

Orlando is almost always easy to get, and even by simply renting on Interval as a getaway week or renting elsewhere. Orlando is so overbuilt other than holidays it’s usually simple to rent for less than your SOs would cost.

If you plan on keeping more than 5-7 years, then WKV becomes financially preferable when compared to the other resorts due to lower MFs. Of course, MFs are increasing every year so also need to plan on that. And, if they ever change the program you would end up with a week in Scottsdale (this is highly unlikely to occur).

IMO, Marriott Platinum/Titanium is almost worthless. I’m Titanium and speak from experience. I always keep my expectations low so I’m not unhappy, especially in the last year or so and when staying in North America. There is no status benefit at the timeshares from Platinum/Titanium (ie. no late checkout, no upgrade, etc).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow very good insight. You are right, Orlando is so so easy to trade into with my RCI Points. Plus most of the time, I use home exchange for Orlando because I travel with my kids and their cousins to Orlando so always need a bigger house.
Thanks for the advice on taking my time lol. Reading alot this last few days and lots of insights from members here is super helpful.

Looking for WKV now with 81,000 option at for 1 bedroom. My main goal is the ability to trade into Hawaii resorts.
Thanks again for sharing your insights.

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas
If you want to be able to do an II exchange into DVC in Orlando don't buy a resort in the greater Orlando area. DVC have a regional block on exchanges from other Orlando properties.
Sheraton flex does exchange quite well in II but ensure you understand the implications of it being "voluntary" within the Vistana system before you buy (adopt) it resale.
Ha interesting. Exchanging into DVC would be awesome. Didn't even think it was possible. I'm only considering mandatory resort because i want the ability to exchange into the Vistana system easily.

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas
What would you buy?

I don't want to buy Hilton because it's easy to trade into Hilton, but it's also expensive to trade into Hilton through RCI ($289 exchange fee + trading power required + daily fees that add up). I just have to do it because we own so many RCI weeks and Wyndham points that we feel stuck. I just generally don't like RCI, to be honest. Once you have experienced $164 trade fees for internal Marriott/Vistana, you cannot believe $289 (going up to $299) with RCI.

I have to say that Wyndham is a few steps down in comparison to Hilton, Westin, Marriott, and Vistana. There are a few resorts that are exceptional in Wyndham, like Shearwater and Bonnet Creek, and I love Steamboat Springs as well, but Sheraton Steamboat is nicer, by far.

If given the choice, I would take most any Marriott over even Bonnet Creek in Orlando, but the presidential units are very nice and equal to Marriott quality (just crazy high points).

Wyndham does have resorts in places Marriott/ Vistana/ Hyatt do not offer, like Anaheim, Wisconsin Dells, Atlanta, Nashville, and some Ozarks/ Arkansas locations.
That's my motivation with trying to get into Vistana network. Bonnet creek is nice but not a Marriott or Westin. And to think that exchange fee with II is cheaper than RCI, yes I'm more motivated to get into II with a good trading power of Westin/ Marriott/ Sheraton resort.
Thanks for the insight. Very helpful

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ha interesting. Exchanging into DVC would be awesome. Didn't even think it was possible.
Its very achievable with any of the Vistana ownerships other than weeks at the Orlando resorts.

CarpeDiem65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WDW, Westin Flex
Awesome. Thanks for the insight. Surprised you could use WDW to book Hawaii. I thought that was not a mandatory resort. Did you exchange with II or through the Staroptions? Just curious and still learning .
Used StarOptions at 8 months. I purchased WDW from the developer not resale. If purchased resale, it could not be used to book Hawaii as it is a voluntary resort.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Used StarOptions at 8 months. I purchased WDW from the developer not resale. If purchased resale, it could not be used to book Hawaii as it is a voluntary resort.
Except through exchange. Westin Desert Willow platinum weeks have incredible trading power through II. We own an EOY WDW resale week, and it's an expensive trader but a great trader. Pulling exchanges via ongoing search to Maui Westins has been cinchy.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned Vistana for over 20 years and am elite with them. We just got into Hilton TS and I can tell you they are so much better. Vistana has not added any new resorts in many years, sure you can now get into the Marriott properties but I find that cumbersome. The hilton TS to me are much nicer. Just my opinion anyway.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have owned Vistana for over 20 years and am elite with them. We just got into Hilton TS and I can tell you they are so much better. Vistana has not added any new resorts in many years, sure you can now get into the Marriott properties but I find that cumbersome. The hilton TS to me are much nicer. Just my opinion anyway.
I have become somewhat disillusioned with Marriott and Vistana as a whole. Sure they have thrown up some new resorts, mostly in place I won't go or aren't all that easy to get to (Australia, Bali) and a bunch of Pulse properties. On the Marriott side, there hasn't been a new domestic "ground up" beachfront location since Oceana Palms. For Vistana I guess it was Nanea. But it wasn't like they added a new location to the map, they already had two other resorts right beside it.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I have become somewhat disillusioned with Marriott and Vistana as a whole. Sure they have thrown up some new resorts, mostly in place I won't go or aren't all that easy to get to (Australia, Bali) and a bunch of Pulse properties. On the Marriott side, there hasn't been a new domestic "ground up" beachfront location since Oceana Palms. For Vistana I guess it was Nanea. But it wasn't like they added a new location to the map, they already had two other resorts right beside it.
I think Los Cabos came after Nanea, but it wasn’t quite “ground up” so maybe you excluded it.

Marriott seems uninterested in developing new resort properties. They’d rather do urban hotels (Pulse) and dilute the Abound pool with those, while continue to sell the dream of Hawaii, etc.

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was the route we took. I see no reason to buy more Marriott or Vistana timeshares. Lots of other options out there. We just bought a Club Wyndham but would probably consider HGVC next.
Dioxide. I am used to see you on the Marriott pages. What are you doing slumming over here at Vistana?

I always appreciate your Marriott Knowledge and the back door to chairman's above sounds like a great idea. I have some Hyatt Coconut weeks and would be happy to side chat with you on Hyatt vs Marriott comparison.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
What are you doing slumming over here at Vistana?

How to tell us you've never stayed at a Westin timeshare without telling us you've never stayed at a Westin timeshare...

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Dioxide. I am used to see you on the Marriott pages. What are you doing slumming over here at Vistana?

I always appreciate your Marriott Knowledge and the back door to chairman's above sounds like a great idea. I have some Hyatt Coconut weeks and would be happy to side chat with you on Hyatt vs Marriott comparison.
It's rough, but we own two Vistana weeks. As long as MVC owners think Westin and Sheraton resorts are the slums, all is okay. More availability for me :)

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I actually think that comment (#39) violates the Tug rules, I was offended by it. But yeah, definitely written from a position of ignorance. I own in both programs and although I wouldn't characterize either as "slumming", the Vistana properties (with, perhaps, a couple of exceptions that I have not personally experienced) were developed to a significantly higher standard and MVC has not yet succeeded in bringing them down to the level of their properties, though it sort of seems as if they're trying to do so.

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's rough, but we own two Vistana weeks. As long as MVC owners think Westin and Sheraton resorts are the slums, all is okay. More availability for me :)
I did not mean to denigrate the Westin properties themselves. For comparison: The Westin Kierland demands much higher rental rates than Marriott Canyon Villas. The statement addresses dioxide45 sharing his extensive knowledge in this forum. You can be slumming in Beverly Hills, it is still not your normal neighborhood as I know it.

Anyone who gives 👎 to all Hyatt properties has not compared the Hyatt ski resorts and Key West to Marriott. The Hyatt point system is like buying a "Mandatory" resort. The Marriott secondary market weeks are all like buying "Voluntary" resorts. No points in Marriott and $30,000 to enroll secondary market weeks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I did not mean to denigrate the Westin properties themselves. For comparison: The Westin Kierland demands much higher rental rates than Marriott Canyon Villas. The statement addresses dioxide45 sharing his extensive knowledge in this forum. You can be slumming in Beverly Hills, it is still not your normal neighborhood as I know it.

Anyone who gives 👎 to all Hyatt properties has not compared the Hyatt ski resorts and Key West to Marriott. The Hyatt point system is like buying a "Mandatory" resort. The Marriott secondary market weeks are all like buying "Voluntary" resorts. No points in Marriott and $30,000 to enroll secondary market weeks.
I am sure you didn't mean it. I took it as funny. I don't get offended by another person's opinion because that is what makes us all different. You didn't break any rules by teasing @dioxide45

I personally chose Westin Maui over Marriott Maui. Same price, but I feel the value is better with Westin. Having stayed at Westin Maui via exchange and getting island view so many times, I was impressed by the units to the point where I wanted to own.

I know the fees are increasing across the board for timeshares, and this is why there are relief companies out there to tell us horror stories about fees going up. This has been the first year where I really felt the sting on all of our timeshare ownerships. It's been eye opening, but I realize inflation is playing a huge part. I am not angry at Marriott/ Westin for raising fees. I feel that rentals will also go up in price because the hotels will also get more expensive.

I remember when Marriott first took over Vistana and people could rent summer weeks at Sheraton Broadway from Marriott cheaper than we could rent our weeks for many years before the takeover. I was definitely upset with Marriott over that, but I didn't say anything on TUG. Now Marriott has increased those properties in price and our rentals are now back in the black. I felt that Marriott was devaluing our property but maybe they were just trying to unload weeks for the HOA. I don't really know why they were doing it, but they sure were.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

We weren't overly impressed by Hyatt Windward Pointe in Key West. I understand Sunset Pointe is in town, but based on my understanding as for rooms and such isn't anything special. It is special because it is downtown. The only other Hyatt we stayed in was Coconut Cove in Bonita Springs. It was nice, but I would't put it up there with the higher end Marriott properties. We haven't been to any other resorts in order to compare.

I do like that Hyatt is a mandatory points overlay system and buying resale gives you the same point booking abilities as someone who buys direct. However, there are some other flaws, mainly multiple week ownerships having to pay membership fees for each week owned. This can add up fast. This differs from Marriott where you pay one Club Dues fee. Though the fee is tiered based on amount of points owned, it certainly never doubles, triples, quadruples or more depending on the number of weeks owned.

Last edited:

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Vistana properties (with, perhaps, a couple of exceptions that I have not personally experienced) were developed to a significantly higher standard and MVC has not yet succeeded in bringing them down to the level of their properties, though it sort of seems as if they're trying to do so.

Pre-2022 and in the prior decade or so the rate of MF increases at my WKV and HRA (2.5%-3.5%) weeks was substantially lower than my MVC weeks which were at ~5%. Since MVC/Abound took over 2 years ago, the rate of MF increases seems more aligned with MVC. Unfortunately, it also coincided with higher inflation so it feels like a triple whammy... normal --> high --> ludicrous.

It may all be coincidental. It may also be intentional. All I know is that if/when I get invited to a friendly sales pitch, I have plenty of new reasons to decline.

tourproto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana WKV Plat+
HGVC Flamingo
Et

About the only time I would recommend them is if someone is looking to retro in some resale voluntary weeks to get up to Execuitive or higher. With this, it is going to require a retail purchase anyway and might as well get that Encore Package "for free" as they will discount the retail purchase by that amount. Though one also has to consider that they will also do a linkage credit if you have a hotel room booked for before or after your the stay when you buy in with the retro.

The strategy I would take would be to buy two Westin Lagunamar Platinum Plus weeks on the resale market. These are worth 4,950 Club Points and 148,100 if enrolled. Then upon a return to Lagunamar, retro both weeks by purchasing Westin Aventuras. Have them put the value of the Encore Package or linkage credit, it would have to be Minimum $15,000 in new money, but would put one over the Presidential level for over/under $20K. (not sure what Lagunamar Plat+ sells for these days). Getting in at this level with pure trust points would cost over $100,000.
I have 2 platinum weeks at Kierland. Would this same strategy work there?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Pre-2022 and in the prior decade or so the rate of MF increases at my WKV and HRA (2.5%-3.5%) weeks was substantially lower than my MVC weeks which were at ~5%.

This is what I have re annual 2-bed WKV MF % increases.

2007 11.08%
2008 14.39%
2009 3.78%
2010 7.47%
2011 -0.83%
2012 5.92%
2013 1.41%
2014 3.45%
2015 4.33%
2016 3.29%
2017 2.25%
2018 3.27%
2019 1.31%
2020 5.28%
2021 1.38%
2022 3.04%
2023 12.11%
2024 9.22%

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

tourproto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana WKV Plat+
HGVC Flamingo
Not as valuable since WKV is mandatory.
Ahhh. Thanks!

Been trying to find a cheap way to get back into Vistana/Marriott but haven't found one yet. We only stay at 3 locations (Kierland, Palm Desert, Kauai) so it isn't super-essential to look like a direct-purchase buyer, but if it can be done cheaply, I would consider it.